Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm

3.0

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

beeswax, sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, lanolin, aroma (flavor), honey, tocopherol, rosemary leaf extract, soybean oil, canola oil, benzyl benzoate, coumarin.

on 4/25/2008 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I really wanted to love this product, as it's naturally derived and I adore the clean honeycomb scent (you either love or hate it--however, mine seemed much better than the nasty, plastic-y smell described by many others). However, even the nice scent is too strong, as every time I put it on, the boyfriend asks what he's smelling...all the way across the room. I used to love the original lip balm, but eventually fount the mint oil too drying. However, it is quite waxy and while pretty comfortable on the lips, I find myself having to apply it a million times a day. I personally didn't experience any of the graininess that several reviewers mentioned; maybe they improved the formula. This is one of those 'waxy' balms that just isn't as moisturizing as I would like. In fact, as far as I can tell, it doesn't moisturize at all! It never really softened or healed my chapped lips. I'll use it up, but for a nonpetroleum balm, I'd sooner recommend Weleda Everon. This one is about as useful as trying to moisturize your lips with a beeswax candle. If I could have given it 1.5 lippies instead of two, I would.

on 4/24/2008 7:40:00 PM

The grainy texture felt like sandpaper on my lips! I don't know if it's the formula not being stable enough to prevent the honey from crystallizing, or because of the cold climate. I thought it would at least smell and taste nice, but that was also a miss. I returned to using the original peppermint and never looked back.

on 4/22/2008 3:28:00 AM

At first this has the consistency of regular lip balm, but after awhile it gets grainy. Like, big grains, not exfoliating grains. Not sure why this happens. I happen to like the smell, and I use it at night when my lips are feeling particularly chapped because it's so waxy feeling. However, I've noticed that it doesn't actually heal lips or help them become un-chapped, no matter how long you use it. I won't repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I like the way this product smells and it makes lips soft, but I like like Burt's peppermint balm much better.

on 4/18/2008 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I found this more pleasant to use than the Beeswax Lip Balm (too much peppermint oil in that one). It feels good on my lips and keeps them moisturized.

on 4/12/2008 1:51:00 AM

Never really noticed the smell, its def not a fav smell of mine, but what really bothers me about the honey lip balm is the texture of it.. at first it was soft but now the little rocky things in it just really hurt my lips! it is def not a slight scrub or exfoliating, it is just painful when i put this on my lips, i cant even enjoy it. it also it doesnt leave my lips feeling silky smooth.. not recommended!

I'm working my way through Burt's Bees and so far, loving the line. This one, however, is a miss. I love the beeswax lipbalm (i bought another one today) because its so fresh. This is such a cloying scent that makes me feel a little sick. I'm not a drama queen when it comes to scent in products but this is a love it or hate it products for sure. I love the scent of honey but this has something else in it thats a little off putting.

If you can get by the smell, go for it! I'll probably use it for something, since its so moisturising but do give burts bees lip products a go. If you want something thats fresh and makes your lips soft, go for the beeswax one!

on 4/6/2008 9:49:00 PM

I love this product! I am actually surprised so many people think it smells funky--I love the smell. It also is very smooth and goes on very smooth. Definitely a staple!

on 4/4/2008 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

As soon as I opened it, I knew this was a love it or hate it product, mainly due to the smell. I love the regular Burts Bees gloss and usually keep it at home, so I wanted another tube to keep in my purse. It was between this and the Pomegranate version, which I've heard raves about, but I love the smell of honey so chose this. The smell is definitely overpowering, and it smells more like natural honey than sweetened honey. It is a little grittier than the regular BB gloss, but the waxiness of it makes it feel more moisturizing. I'm a little disappointed that you don't get that famous minty tingle with this, but I like the smell and taste better than the regular version.

on 4/2/2008 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I like the mint one...this probably works too....but i couldn't try it cause it smelled bad. 3 lippies for the fact it probably works if i could stand the smell.

Top Rated Lip Treatments