November 28, 2014 | 1247 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2012 4:01:00 AM More reviews by sremmers123

If you're using anything other than coconut oil to shave, STOP! This is by far thee best product. No razor burn, no in grown hairs. You won't have to worry about the water washing away your shaving cream, and it's moisturizing to boot. Four for you, coconut oil. You go, coconut oil!

38 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2011 11:27:00 PM More reviews by JuicyGirlx33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is solid at room temp., so melt before using. I like this as a deep conditioner for hair (leave on for a few hours and rinse with warm water before shampooing and conditioning as usual), cuticle oil, and makeup remover. I don't use it for my body, lips and hands because it's too thin to moisturize and doesn't get absorbed.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/24/2011 8:49:00 AM More reviews by karmabum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Had high hopes for this. Love the smell,price and "naturalness." Hate that it broke me out horribly. I used it on face and hair and had big pimples even on the back of my neck for my reward:/ Will use for hands and let husband try this out to see if it works for him. Sigh.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2011 8:19:00 AM More reviews by littlefangfang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What's not to like about coconut oil? It's multifunctional. It smells AMAZING! It moisturizes and nourishes you skin ( awesome makeup remover too) and hair wonderfully and you can also cook with it. It has so many health benefits. It'd be crazy not to have a jar in the house at all times.

...One of the victoria secret angels says she puts a spoonful of it on her salad everyday and that's her beauty secret... ( does it make you want to have a jar in the house even more haha)

UPDATE: I put a quarter size of coconut oil in my hair ( I have very thick and long hair) after the shower. It smells wonderful and my hair feels so soft and smooth. the coconut oil does what I expected out of Argan oil ( which failed my expectations, maybe it's better for the skin). I did read online that coconut oil is one of the few oils can actually penetrate into the hair instead of sitting on the top ( like Jojoba oil, to my Argan oil too). It's definitely worth trying, if you dont like it you can always cook with it. It's not nearly as expensive as other natural oils either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2011 9:37:00 AM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought a large jar of Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin coconut oil the other day and have been using it ever since. I have used it on my face, nails/hands, feet, really anywhere that is dry. I have used it as a hair mask one night but can't really tell what that has done yet. One thing I will caution is that a little seems to go a long way. I've just been putting a little of the room temp (hard) coconut oil in my hands and rubbing together to break it down to the liquid oil, and apply where I need it. I haven't tried this yet on dry hair as a smoothing agent, but I look forward to doing so! My nails and cuticles already look and feel better, which says a lot because my cuticles are such a mess. I've been using this at night on my face, and I wake up with soft skin. This hasn't broken me out yet - fingers crossed that it will not! *EDIT: I've now been using this for a week and it is amazing how soft this is making my face! I'm so happy with this!*

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2011 3:09:00 AM More reviews by zerp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Pros:
- For hair: I do a deep conditioning masque about one a week (Massage it into scalp, and
onto the rest of my hair, focusing on the ends. Leave it on for about 1 hour then go
shower like usual.) It has made my hair SO SHINY. and BOUNCY. and BEAUTIFUL. and
THICKER. and HOW DID I EVER LIVE WITHOUT THIS. I also use it after styling to
make my hair smooth and shiny. It's great because coconut oil repairs the damaged
proteins in your hair - what kind of shine serum can you find on the market that also
repairs your hair naturally?? NONE!! I loved it so much I introduced it to my mom, she
began using it as a deep conditioner also. She also loved it- she has been regularly
perming her hair for almost all her life due to her thin hair, but it has been a year now
since she has permed it (which is a long, long, time for her.) She also introduced it to my
dad, who likes it for its thickening effects (he is losing hair). I have tried olive oil in the
past- it didn't do much. Coconut oil is liquid gold.

- For skin: I have slight eczema on my skin, and I rub a tiny amount on my dry patches
before I go to bed. I wake up with hydrated, bright skin. Only downfall is, if I use this
too often or too much, it makes me break out.

- For nails: I didn't really think coconut oil would do anything for my nails, but I tried
it out anyways. I massaged them into my bare nails. I found that it was absorbed
very quickly so I reapplied and massaged about 3 times. After washing my hands I
applied nail polish. Usually, after about 5 days of wearing nail polish, my nails chip
and crack. Amazingly they didn't, and stayed strong and long for the whole duration
of the color (2 weeks for this nail polish, it is very long lasting).

Cons:
- I didn't know about this till about a year ago. Why. Where have you been all my life.

Overall:

I.LOVE.IT. Everybody has a fantastic, natural, beneficial use for coconut oil.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by divathing

I use this mixed with tea tree oil for the psoriasis on my scalp (as a conditioner and to oil the scalp) I also mix this with olive oil as a deep conditioner and i mix it with corn starch and baking soda as a deodorant. AMAZING! VERSATILE! please do not use on your face. that just sounds wrong. as long as u know what to use it 4 it will treat u well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2011 8:50:00 PM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

COCONUT OIL CAN DO NO WRONG. No, seriously. Well, except for those few people with sensitivities or easily clogged pores ... :(

Otherwise! This stuff [and sunshine] is what life is made of! No wonder places in the world with heavily coconut-based diets seem to do so well, health and vitality wise.

I have had coconut oil for a few months, along with shea butter, which I decided to transition to from all my chemical-laden products [okay, I wasn't that bad, but in the past year and a half or so my skin went from perfect to pizza ... donno why]. But every time I tried to use EVCO [and yes, that distinction is important] on my skin [after a shower when it would still be warm and damp], it would do no more than simply sit on top of dry, stretched skin. Even worse on my lips. But for my hair -- amazing! My mom used to put lots of oils in my hair when I was young, so I'm no stranger to the idea. If only I hadn't become a stupid teenager that scoffed at the practice in the middle. Oh my, believe me, have I ever learned the error of my ways! I don't usually coat the whole head with EVCO, though that would be ideal, since it is one of the three oils [olive and avocado being the other two] that can actually penetrate the hair shaft; rather, I smear a pea-sized amount through most of the length, focusing on the ends, wet or dry, to soften it up, give it some shine, and most importantly, remove tangles. Works like a CHARM. Better than any silicone-based serum, better than CHI silk, definitely better than heat protectants. [I wouldn't suggest using it as one though]

However ... for all the rave reviews, it had been relegated to a corner of my drawer, solely used for hair, in my belief that it simply didn't agree with my skin. Because of its highly comedogenic properties, I was deathly afraid to use it on my face. But I started to get annoyed at how shea butter was so hard and waxy [yes, sufficiently warmed up and melted and used on a damp face] and tugged at my face, made me into a greaseball, and mostly sat on top of my skin, to rub off during the night and leave it dry again in the morning. NOT ideal and not what I was expecting. So I decided to go for broke and try EVCO as my moisturizer ..and lo and behold!! One application later, my skin tone was evening out [I have paler, pinker cheeks than the rest of my skin], bumpiness [which randomly appeared recently -- are those clogged pores?] seemed to be smoothing out, redness was going down, current pimples coming to a head ... and skin soft and supple!

I gave it another few days to make sure I didn't break out -- and so far, so good! Even when I get slightly too lasvicious and free-handed with my application [no such thing as too much of a good thing, is my EVCO motto]. I decided to whip the rest of my shea butter [its doing no good in its current, pure form ... simply too heavy for any use] with coconut oil, and I discovered yet ANOTHER amazing product! Silky, smooth, scrumptious mousse which now moisturizes all of my skin wonderfully and was SO much fun to make and mess with. Absorbs fairly quickly and doesn't leave me greasy for too long - and nowhere near as greasy as either oil was alone. Still only EVCO on my face, as I want to see how that goes.

It was even better tonight with a sugar/avocado oil scrub, followed by ACV toner and EVCO moisturizer. I'm normally afraid of avocado oil, as it broke me out the one time I used it on my face. But I digress.

All hail coconut oil! Good to eat, good to smell, good to taste, good to feel, good for your skin, good for your body, good for hair, good for infections, dryness, eczema/psoriasis, yeast, lube, etc etc etc. The all around Wonder Product, hard little multitasker and true love all in one. I want to take it out on a date and show it a good time. I'm sooo sorry for the essay, but ... is there anything it CAN'T do?

It's only too bad that in dry, cold Canada, it's so much harder and more expensive to get my hands on any. It's soo cheaaappp on Amazon *cry*

update March 28, 2012
Not as great as I thought it was. In order to absorb, has to be applied to damp skin, otherwise sits on top of the skin; won't absorb into my lips at all. Recently it seems as though oils actually do clog my pores [I can't pinpoint coconut though as I hadn't used it for a while at the point of figuring this out] -- it is GREAT for hair, however, and I still love how creamy it is added to lotions. And so so good for making the skin soft, at least temporarily, applied after a shower. Not my miracle oil though, still looking for that!

ps refined coconut oil Sucks. With a capital 'S.' Lumpy, oily, disgusting. Still absorbs nicely, but whats the point without all the nutrients and benefits and that gorgeous smell that lets you know its REAL? I still use it for my hair though, as I feel like it can soak through the shaft but the nutrients of organic unrefined coconut oil are wasted on dead cells. sigh

alsooo...one of the uses I've found for coconut oil beyond hair/skin is to clean my makeup brushes. We all know some makeup is harder to clean than others ... If I have something on them that just won't come out with my normal brush cleanser [CV soaps ... brush shampoo, baby/cat shampoo ... none of them cut it], I coat it fully in coconut oil, then I can 'squeeze' out the pigments and wash with my regular brush cleanser and it gets rid of EVERY last trace of makeup. Works like a charm every time!

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2011 10:17:00 PM More reviews by ILoveYouAlways

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

THE BEST!!

Putting Nutiva Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on my face & whole body everyday and drinking Smart Basics Organic Certified Mangosteen 100% Pure Juice everyday (I get from vitacost) have been miraculous for my skin! These are the only things that I have found that moisturize my skin (& hair!)! (and my Treat Soft Candy Lip Balm! Yummy! :D The best!! It's also mostly coconut oil! :D) They have gotten rid of all my wrinkles, fixed the appearance of my scars, and they make me feel young! :D Also, I put CO on my feet at night while sleeping in bed and it makes my feet not have pain from wearing high heels all day! :D All of my prayers answered!! Thank you Jesus and thank you MUA Beauties! :D I tried CO b/c of here! xoxo Thank you also for listing your experiences and all of the positives and negatives about it! I got acne on my face, upper chest and some on my neck and it itched when I 1st used it but I loved what it did for my skin too much to give up on it so I put Desitin original on my upper chest and neck to clear up the acne immediately and I put extra strength evening primrose oil (applying it with the back of a spoon) on my face and then put the Desitin original on top of the evening primrose oil (which deep cleans/clears out my pores and left in on my face while I slept overnight and wiped it off in the morning) and after the acne was gone, I retried the CO again and when my skin got used to the CO, it would give it all of the benefits without making my skin get acne! :D My skin is fussy! lol (A MD told me about Desitin original being good for skin because they said zinc oxide and cod liver oil are good for skin.)

(Also, the Spectrum Refined Organic Coconut Oil and Garden of Life Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil didn't improve or work for my skin or hair at all.)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 7:09:00 PM More reviews by makeup1love

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just got some virgin coconut oil from the health food store and I'm in love. I take the time to rub virgin coconut oil on my entire body after every shower and am really getting rewarded for it. My skin feels so soft and dewy and it is so much softer and just lovely.
Now also at night after my face scrub I was noticing my face was really dry and my night time lotion was cutting it, so I grabbed some virgin coconut oil and it the morning there was no dry spots, and makeup goes on so smooth.
I cant live without virgin coconut oil. I put it in my hair before I blow dry and it's just something everyone has to try once.
It's a solid so you have to get some out with your fingers and it melts into your palms and apply liberally . The virgin coconut oil will go on really oily and you might hate it at first but with a minute or two is all absorbed and leaves your skin glowing!!