August 22, 2014 | 1041 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Nivea - Nivea Creme

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2010 5:30:00 AM More reviews by Espiegle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am in Germany, so I was pretty excited about being able to get a La Mer dupe...and I love retro, classics, standbys, etc- and I'm always happy about inexpensive, So it was all good.
I'm rating a 4/buy again for hand and body use of Nivea ONLY- NOT for face. And high rating for packaging because I just love tins, and retro packaging, even though, yes, it's a little hard to manoeuvre sometimes.

I bought a tiny tin, and a larger one (one for gym, one for home) and proceeded to use it...incidentally, there is nothing better for dry winter hands. On the face though- well, first of all, it is far, far too greasy for me, but I thought that that might be the case, I just also thought maybe it would be ok, as I'd never tried Nivea on my face.

But the real problem was this; after about a week of using Nivea on my face, I noticed that my 1 or 2 little chin hairs that I tweeze had 4 or 5 little friends! Ack!! I kid you not! Then I remembered a friend of mine in college telling me that "Nivea makes your hair grow." It's actually true! The good news is, after stopping using it, the hairs haven't come back. Weird.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 8:58:00 PM More reviews by mayebear87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought the little 99 cent, 1 oz tin of this stuff to just test this out and see if I liked it, and if I didn't, then I wouldn't be out much money. I love this stuff! My skin can be really dry on my cheeks, that no other moisturizer can fix, but this stuff. I don't use it all over my face, because I think that it would be too greesy, and I'm not dry all over, just on my cheeks. I literally just need to barely tap my finger into the product to get enough for my cheeks. A little goes a long way, I'm seriously not sure if this little tin will ever run out! I've had this for about 8 to 10 months, and I haven't even made a dent in it yet. It will last me forever!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2010 8:40:00 PM More reviews by asortafairytale

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I use this on my face, and in the winter, its fabulous. its very much like creme de la mer. Im acne prone, and it hasnt broken me out, which is quite amazing. beforehand, I take my makeup off with ponds makeup removing cloths, then wash with the new noxzema scrub, and then top with nivea creme. my face is smooth and soft, not a flake or pimple. amazing. I warm the creme between my fingers before putting it on.*****update***** this actually did cause me some acne. So I switched back to using creme de la mer, and no more acne, but the same soft and moisturized skin. weird - since they have somewhat similar ingredients. But thats enough to make me not want to use this on my face anymore. I'll keep this in my purse for my hands though. its still amazing, still rate it as a 5.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2010 10:46:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This isn't a general, all-purpose, day-and-nighttime facial moisturizer, I find it too thick and hard to spread for that. And since it IS so thick you can be scared it will block pores. However I learned to use it as a face protector for theatre/costume makeup, you apply it under your theatre or carnaval makeup. Theatre and carnaval makeup is thick and heavy and greasy and hard to remove, and it dyes the skin (temporarily), but if you apply Nivea creme underneath then it will be easy to remove and it won't taint your skin. I have had friends/companions complain that there was no way they could get their theatre makeup off no matter how hard they scrubbed, and that was because they were too lazy to apply Nivea first. You can also use it if you do face painting on kids, underneath their face paints. Parents complain a lot about face paints because they just can't get it off, but that won't be a problem if you put Nivea on the kids first. As for using it as an ordinary moisturizer, well I never do that. I think it would be too thick and pore-blocking to use regularly. But it would probably be great for problem areas like cuticles, feet, whatever.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2010 10:26:00 PM More reviews by Zuuu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

First of all, I want to clarify that this product is NOT to be used as a face moisturizer.

This is a body moisturizer. I have used this forever, every time my elbows or legs feel dry -> One application and they're good to go. I also use this to thicken my foundation and make it whiter (for costume makeup), also to soften my hand calluses (I take lots of notes in class, and I tend to hold my writing instruments very hard), etc.

Another tip: My mom used this on her forehead whenever she dyed her hair. With a heavy layer on top of her skin, the dye would not soak anywhere outside of her roots, and the cleanup would be much easier.

Overall, I give this four lippies because the packaging may be not user-friendly sometimes, but a little goes a veeery long way, and it's so versatile. Will repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/23/2010 7:00:00 AM More reviews by simpleLOVEx3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this because of all the good reviews I read about it and boy was I surprised. It was super greasy and oily, which irritated my dry skin instead of moisturizing it. It didn't absorb into my skin at all, and kinda just sat on top of it. I've never tried any other skin product as greasy and oily as this one.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2010 11:40:00 PM More reviews by macismycrack627

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Totally awful. This stuff is greasy as all get-out and smells bad. It contains mineral oil, which my skin is sensitive to, so I've only tried it on my hands. It took forever to sink into my skin and didn't do a good job moisturizing.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2010 11:27:00 PM More reviews by agirllikeme

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is hands-down one of the best winter moisturizers. But, it has it's cons. First, I'd say this is a night only moisturizer (you might want to switch up your morning one), because the consistency is very, very thick, heavy, it doesn't sink into the skin quickly at all, and is rather sticky. But, if you sleep with this on, your skin will be a smooth, silky, nourished dream in the morning. It's amazing. I usually use this at night, and if I need extra moisture I'll use Nivea's Original Moisture in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2010 12:50:00 PM More reviews by lupiechick77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The best winter moisturizer around, hands down. It does wonders for my dry hands, elbows, and knees. I am a life long user. I recommend this to anyone in need of relief from super dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2010 1:24:00 AM More reviews by zushi303

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a game changer! For the last few years the dryness in my hands during winter months has been uncomfortable and even painful. My cuticles "crisp out" and literally roll back on themselves, I develop DEEP hangnails and hard skin around my nails, and I get callouses that crack along the side of my index finger and at the top of my thumbs that I have to use a nail file to tame. The palmar surfaces of my hands feel thick and as dried out as dry clay.

BUT NOT THIS YEAR! Seattle was below freezing last week and my cats were crackling with static yet my hands have been comfortable and feel young thanks to Nivea Creme. For several weeks, after handwashing, I've been applying Nivea Creme and my hands have NO hangnails, NO callouses and my cuticles are trim, tidy and translucent. Really, it's the immaculate, groomed quality of my nails and cuticles that really has me loving this creme.

As I've approached 50, I've relied in the winter on moisturizing hand scrubs from Crabtree & Evelyn followed by their lovely lotions to help with my thick dry skin problems. I follow that routine with several times daily applications of Barielle or L'Occitane nail and cuticle creams to keep things neat and comfortable. But it all seems a lot to keep on top of as missing a day can really set you back. Nivea Creme has done away with all that palaver and all those products.

When I was young and my skin was juicier, I didn't need this "thick, pasty" creme. I honestly wondered who on earth did. Now I know and I'll never be without it again - certainly not between November and February! I agree with another reviewer who said that this seems to work from below the skin, it gets under the dryness somehow.

I went to the FAQ page of Nivea International and have learned that Nivea is preservative free. I'm putting 2 answers together here, but the FAQ page states that: Nivea Creme is a water-in-oil (W/O) emulsion. This means that it contains many drops of water that are stored inside the oil. Consequently, your skin is first intensely treated during the outer oil phase and subsequently moisturized. (Nivea Soft, on the other hand, is an oil-in-water emulsion. Small drops of oil are embedded in the water.) In contrast to an oil-in-water (O/W) emulsion, MICRO ORGANISMS CANNOT MULTIPLY IN A WATER-IN-OIL FORMULA. Nivea Creme is a water-in-oil emulsion and since it is produced virtually free of germs, no preservatives are required. IN ADDITION, ANY BACTERIA INTRODUCED INTO THE CREME BY CONSUMERS CANNOT SURVIVE IN THE FORMULA AND THEREFORE DIE OFF. (I added the emphasis here.)

That's good to know, isn't it? (They should put that on all the websites.)

I like to keep the "dollar disks" I get at Walgreens' everywhere, not just for my hands, but for my neck, chest feet, all over. I also like to get Nivea products in Canada where they have products that aren't available in the U.S. Except for the 6 oz. plastic tub and the 2 oz. tube (I think) all the other products are made in Europe. (These 2 are still made in Mexico.) I bought the 400 ml tin (about 13 oz) in London Drugs and that is made in Germany. The difference that I can see is that the German made Nivea Creme is more creamy, less thick and therefore absorbs quicker. This tub is made for the Canadian market however, and does not contain a couple of the ingredients used in the original German version as Canada has it's own standard of allowable ingredients. (These ingredients start with "L" - Linool, or Limonene, I'm sorry, I don't know the names exactly.) The Nivea in this tub, being creamier and less sticky, really does seem to be the texture of Creme de la Mer.

When things warm up, I'll probably switch over to the Q10 Plus Anti-Age, Anti-Wrinkle hand cream that's "Made in France". Lovely stuff, kind of coats the skin with that super soft feeling. (That's another thing about the blue pot Nivea - it doesn't coat the skin in any way. When you wash your hands there is no sensation of 'slip'. All that moisture is truly in the deeper layers of your skin.)

Anyway, until spring comes and my hands get their juice back, I'm definitely sticking with blue pot Nivea Creme. I'm staying faithful to the restorative powers of this water-in-oil miracle as it is truly a youth infusion for my hands.

Thank you Nivea and good luck everybody. I hope this helps to spare someone's skin this winter!

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No