November 23, 2014 | 1258 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Nivea - Nivea Creme

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2011 10:39:00 PM More reviews by butterbelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I feel that most of the negative reviews for this product come from improper use. This is best as a body moisturizer, NOT a face moisturizer. With petrolatum, paraffin, mineral oil, lanolin, and glycerin, this is clearly not an ideal face moisturizer. (I don't care what the makers of CrŤme de la mer thinks!)

Although I have not tried the German-made version of this cream, I am absolutely in love with this as a body moisturizer. The German version is missing two preservative ingredients that are in the Mexican cream: methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone, both of which are banned in the European Union. A lot of preservative ingredients are known skin irritants, which could explain the vast disparity of opinion on this product. (I've noticed those from Europe reviewing this much more favorably than those from North America using the Mexican-made Nivea Creme.) A friend is getting the German-made version for me from France and I will update with my thoughts on that one in comparison once I receive it.

I personally love this product and after trying it, it is a must-have item in my body skincare routine. Behind the heavy texture, there lies the best moisturizer I have ever tried. Warming it up between your fingers definitely helps with application. It gets 'liquified' into a thinner cream and becomes much easier to rub on. Don't worry about the film left behind on the skin. It WILL get absorbed without you continuing to rub it in. For this reason, I prefer to apply this cream after the shower before I go to sleep. I ALWAYS wake up with non-greasy, soft, and supple skin all over my body.

The packaging and the scent are both fantastic, in my opinion but I can understand why people would find the scent irritating and the tin/jar unhygienic. I personally like the classic feminine scent as it reminds me of glam Hollywood actresses such as Joan Crawford, Blanche Sweet, and the like. I also like the retro tin packaging as it brings forward the same nostalgia as the scent and I don't think the tube packaging is as effective given the heavy texture of this cream. The price is unbeatable. I can typically find a 200mL jar for only $5 CAD at the drugstore.

There's a good reason why this cream continues to be used despite having been around since 1911. This cream was used by soldiers (and their wives) through both World Wars. This was a revolutionary product at the time since it was the first to have a stable water-in-oil emulsifier in a skin cream. This changed the world of skincare! Even if you don't like this cream, you should at least appreciate its important place in cosmetics history.

To expect this product to be anything other than a moisturizer would be unfair, for Nivea Creme claims to be nothing more than a great moisturizer and it does that amazingly well.

I hope this review has helped those of you interested in trying this out and I hope this product will be as wonderful to you as it has been to me. :)

22 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2011 9:25:00 AM More reviews by akm1209

I cannot explain to you how much I loved this cream the first six months I used it. I have combination skin that tends to be more on the dry side. For the past two months I have had the worst breakouts of my life. Deep, painful, cystic acne spots. I blamed everything else, but my nivea. This week, in a last attempt, I switched back to my cetaphil lotion and I can already see the improvement in my skin. Any new spots I saw forming have stopped in their tracks and the hyperpigmentation of the old ones are finally starting to fade with a little exfoliation. While I will use this creme on my legs, hands, whatever, it will NEVER be used on my face again!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/3/2011 5:51:00 PM More reviews by contrariwhys

Good for very tough, dry spots on skin. I like it on my feet actually. I dislike the smell however and it's a little too greasy/thick for all purpose use I think.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2011 6:07:00 AM More reviews by janjarang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I love Nivea Creme! I decided to purchase this product after reading the good reviews here and I am so glad I did it! I use it for both face and body. I have combination skin whereas in summer my T-zone is oily and in winter my U-zone gets completely dry and even flaky sometimes. I walk to work a lot (I live in Geneva, Switzerland) and the cold wind from the lake makes my face so dried. Only two days after using Nivea Creme, my skin is now soft and healthy again! I only use it as my night cream since it is too thick for day time (it will be difficult for your make up to stay). By the way, I usually get acne easily and was quite skeptical. However, there is no breakout at all :-) My husband from Austria said that they used to (and still often) use this cream for babies and that his grandmother used it for everything (and she looks much younger than her age). I have tried many expensive night moisturizers before (la Mer is also on that list) but Nivea is exceptionally brilliant! I admit that la Mer liquidize better but when you compare the prices, a little extra effort isnít so bad. The cream is very thick but it melts well into my skin. I get it in German version and it has no preservative. I highly recommend this product! (P.S. I donít know if Iíll use this in summer though. It is quite heavy but Iíll try anyway).

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2011 9:47:00 PM More reviews by jetsabel

I always have very dry skin on my face in winter and am always looking for a good moisturizer. After reading really good reviews on MUA, I bought this creme. It seems okay at first, but then a couple of days after applying it I completely break out. I can see the clogged pores all over my face and it is really awful!

I have tried it on more than one occasion, being convinced that it must be hormones or something else that was making my face break out like that... since everyone else has given this creme such good reviews. It's definitely the creme.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2011 6:19:00 PM More reviews by laurarslv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this product! I'm Portuguese so this review will be for the German Nivea. For me,this cr-eam is a multi-tasquer. Here is what I use it for:
- my hands/feet at night or when they are too dry.
- my face at night, the next morning my skin is glowing
- I also use it as a makeup remover when I'm on a budget
- on my knees/elbows or other areas that need the extra attention.

There aren't enough words for me to praise this product! For all the people that said it was too greasy/thick, when I use it on my face I lightly dab it on my face and spread. If you use more your skin will look like a grease ball.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2011 5:48:00 PM More reviews by enotkatya1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Great as a night cream. I love it. I prefer to buy in a metal blue tin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2011 4:42:00 PM More reviews by love_and_butterflies

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the only thing that keeps my hands & elbows from getting dry in the winter. It also helps to spot treat any dry facial patches. I love the classic sent. I hope I never have to find a replacement for this!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2011 8:22:00 AM More reviews by MakeupPadawan

We are lucky in Australia in that we get Nivea straight from Europe here. So all our Nivea Creme is German. I always keep a jar on hand for dry skin emergencies. I generally don't like to use this on my face because my skin is oily/combination, and this is very thick and emollient. I love this for my feet. It is excellent slathered onto dry heels at bedtime. Put socks on afterwards. I sometimes use this on hands as well but only ever last thing at night just because it takes ages to absorb. I have used this on chapped lips too. It doesn't taste too good so try not to lick it lol The jar is a pain but I don't see this working in a tube either! A little spatula would be a cool thing to include but then they'd probably have to put the nice cheap price up! I give this a 4 because I like it and I use it but it is extremely thick and heavy, so my usage is limited.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2011 1:36:00 AM More reviews by raenamercedi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased the German made Nivea creme tins while visiting a friend in Greece. With daily Retin-A use and harsh Winter weather, I began to experience very dry, irritated skin around my mouth and on my chin. I began to use the Nivea Creme as a nightime moisturizer on my face. I began to experience clogged pores after two weeks of nightly use. I now use the Nivea creme as a face mask and have no problems with blemishes or clogged pores.
I apply a layer of the Nivea creme, which is white, to my entire face. I wait approximately half and hour until the creme turns mostly clear and remove the Nivea creme with Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser. With nightly use I was able to resume Retin-A use.
The Nivea creme (German version) itself is inexpensive. I purchased a promotional package that contained two tins for approximatly $6.00. I can not compare the German Nivea creme to the Nivea creme available in the States, because I have only used Nivea brand body and lip products in the past.
I have used and own Creme de la Mer, which German made Nivea creme has been compared to. The La Mer and the Nivea Creme do have similar scents, but they do not smell the exact same. The texture of Creme de La Mer is slightly thicker than the Nivea creme. I am unable to use either as a daytime moisturizer as both are very heavy and cause my skin to appear oily.
I also like to use the Nivea creme at bedtime on my hands, and I do not mind the retro-style tin packaging.
My friend in Europe just sent me several additional tins at my request. I would have put a "1" for price, but since I am unable to purchase the German Nivea creme in the States, I must pay for shipping to have it sent from my friend in Europe, which is why I put "2" for price.