April 17, 2014 | 1695 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Pigment in Vanilla

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2005 10:17:00 PM More reviews by zoegirl1987

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Other

Probably the most versitale product I own. Looks amazing as a highlighter on the cheeks, as a highlighter on the lips, as a highlighter or was on the eyes, I imagine if you wanted shimmery body lotion it wold be fantastic for that, the only product I can imagine needing for any highlighting needs. I have abandoned all my other pale shimmery eyeshadows for this as this blends with ANY color at all due to the flashes of both pink(perfect for cool toned looks) and gold(for warm toned colors). I was super skeptical at first, thinking a shimmery white loose powder can't be all *that* fabulous, but it is, and I can no longer imagine my stash without it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2005 7:18:00 PM More reviews by doocaw

This is my first pigment, and I'm so glad I bought it. It's so versatile and fun to play with! On my light, warm-toned skin, this shows up as a shimmery ivory champagne with gold (I don't see pink at all). Like others have said, it would be helpful to have a shaker-top of some kind - I'm always terrified of knocking the entire jar into the sink and losing it. It's less frosty than I'd imagined it to be; I tried on "Frost" when I bought Vanilla, and it was much frostier, with actual glitter that got all over my face. I bought BE's Nude Beach the same day I got my Vanilla pigment, and they're very similar colors, except Vanilla flashes gold and NB is more beige and complex. I would recommend this pigment to everyone - I think it's great as a wash, highlighter, and to blend and lighten other colors. If I ran out, I'd repurchase, though I don't think I could ever use it all up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2005 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Seclusae2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

DESCRIPTION OF ME Asian with a warm complexion (C3-C4 in MAC) with strong yellow undertones and some peach. Black hair. Very oily skin that is prone to breakouts.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Loose powder pigment that can be used on the eyes, cheeks and mixed with lip products. Some people have even used it with nailpolish. Available at MAC counters and stores, and maccosmetics.com. $18.50 for a full-sized jar containing 7.5 g/.26 US oz. I got a glass vial from a previous MAC collection from a swap. It holds approximately a tablespoon's worth.

PACKAGING Full-sized pigments come in a tall tub with a black screw top. It is sturdy but, as many reviewers pointed out, it is a disaster waiting to happen. It is easy to spill pigments and there is nothing that will control the out flow. Adding a shaker top would be a major improvement. I rated the packaging a four out of five.

The glass vial that I have is no better. The mouth and the cap are too small to dip your brush through. It truly is worthless. I transferred the pigment into a bigger tub I bought from Michael's. If you are interested in buying some too, you can look through the paint or beads sections.

COLOR This is the big selling point of this product. In the tub, Vanilla is a shimmery creamy off-white color with gold flecks. It does not look anything spectacular and that is the big reason why I was so skeptical about this pigment. Ooh, shimmer... Big whoop! Just yet another overhyped MAC product. However, on the skin, it turns into a very shimmery duochrome of light gold and fleshy pink. It is wonderfully complex yet versatile. I have never seen anything like it and I own over 150 eye color products.

The first time I tried it, I was hooked. I have been using it constantly as a wash or as a highlighter for browbone or the inner corners of my eyes. The great thing about using this as a highlighter is that you can apply it at the borders of your other eyeshadows and it will soften and blend out any harsh lines or mistakes. It melds with any color I've thrown at it, whether it be a cool baby blue or a hot burgundy. The neat thing is that the gold really melds with warm colors and the pink is really picked up by cools or neutrals. (All psychological, I know.) It is a subtle effect but as particular as I can be (as well as many other MUA members), it makes a whole world of difference.

I've also applied Vanilla with a skunk brush on my cheeks. It imparts just the tiniest hint of pink and it gives a shimmery glow. However, I have to be careful not to apply too much since Vanilla can look too frosty on my warm skintone. Vanilla also amps up matte blushes and, again, helps diffuse blending mistakes.

TEXTURE Very soft on the skin and easily blendable. No complaints here at all.

APPLICATION On my eyes, I apply Vanilla with my finger or with Sonia Kashuk's blending brush. (It is a fluffy teardrop shaped brush that can be used for a sheer, diffuse application.) It is very easy to apply and, if you pick up the right amount, is almost mistake-proof.

Since MAC pigments are loose powders, it is a little bit more inconvenient than a pressed product. However, you can simply work with the pigment that collects on the underside of the screw top. This is a lot better than messing with the inside of the tub and risking spillage.

LASTING POWER All the MAC pigments I have tried stay true and vivid throughout the day but crease on my oily lids. However, I have never had a powder product that never creased on me so I don't hold it against MAC or any other powder product. However, Vanilla doesn't look really obvious and ugly when it creases.

OVERALL FANTASTIC product. Even though I was a hardheaded skeptic towards it, Vanilla has quickly become one of my most used products. I will repurchase if I ever run out and I definitely recommend it. However, as wonderful as this product is, I don't think purchasing full-sized tubs are very practical. The vial will provide me with at least a year's worth and so I see no reason to pay retail for a tub.

continued >>

38 out of 39 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2005 3:00:00 AM More reviews by GraceQ

I know this product is widely revered by MUAers but I found it too frosty and light on my medium yellow skin tone. I like naked pigment to give the shimmery effect without the frost.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2005 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Maria25

I think i am in the minority when i say, What is so special about this pigment? I have recieved this pigment in swaps numerous times, and I have tried it MANY times and hated it every time. I am an NC35 brown eyed gal and find I never touch this for a highlighter, shadow, or anything. I still have some samples left that I am just waiting to pass along. I prefer Naked and Fairylite pigment over Vanilla any day. I will NOT be buying this.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2005 3:48:00 AM More reviews by silver29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A good highlighter, gold but not too gold with a pink shimmer running through it, possibly one of the best I've come across and lovely as an eyeshadow on tanned skin. It blends well and it does give your skin the 'glow'. The pot annoys me though, for such a useful product I want to be able to carry it with me on holidays and business trips.
I'm not convinced this product will be so effective in the winter on pale skin, I will update in a few months!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2005 11:16:00 PM More reviews by umwife11

I had been dying to try this and thanks to a lovely MUAer, I was able to swap for a good sized amount of this--I've used it twice already and it's an amazing highlight...it looked amazing paired with Plum Dressing and Coco (yum yum on that combination). When my sample runs out, I'll be running to MAC to get me a full-size one of these. It's wonderful and easier to blend than I thought :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2005 6:25:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I do not ordinarily favor loose powder eyeshadows because I find them difficult to control, but this one is so great that I'll overlook the messiness.
I'd been looking for a shimmery neutral ivory to use as a highlighter on brow bones and inner corner of eyes, and I've found the perfect one in "Vanilla."
It's true that this does not provide a lot of coverage, but when worn over M.A.C.'s "Bare Canvas" Paint it does fine as a highlighter for browbones and inner corners.The color name is very fitting; this pigment is a shimmery creamy ivory. It's exactly the color of vanilla ice cream. Warm-toned girls may like it best, but as a cool-toned woman I love it, too. I think it's fairly neutral.
I can't wait to try it with "Coco" pigment, which I have ordered.
I haven't extensively tested the staying power of "Vanilla," but so far it seems to be excellent. I love this shade, and will buy again if I ever run out.
UPDATE: I've had this for about a year now, and my initial enthusiasm has cooled quite a bit.
I still like "Vanilla," but its messy nature and lack of pigmentation have really begun to bother me. I very seldom reach for this, and I seriously doubt that I'll ever buy it again.

A MAC MUA suggested that I try it as a cheekbone highlighter, and I may try that, to give my "Vanilla" a "new life." continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2005 11:33:00 AM More reviews by jaminkel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the best highlighter I have. It goes with most anything. Beautiful sheer vanilla color with a hint of pink shimmer. I like to dab just a small amount at the corner of my eyes to give them a little extra sparkle. I will be buying/swapping for this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2005 2:09:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Got a sample of this in swap and did not like it all that much. It's a French vanilla ice cream color (slightly yellowed ivory/cream), not really any shimmer. It just looked flat and odd on me (warm, FFF-MMM, yellow tones). Made my dark eyes look strangely flat. This was just not a flattering color on me so I'm swapping away the sample I got.

ETA: Wet 'n' Wild's Mega Eyes e/s in "Cream" is actually a better version of Vanilla pigment for me--it's more shimmery and not as pigmented (in this case a good thing if you don't want flat, cream-colored eyelids.)

ETA2: Okay, I take it back and bump up the rating to a 4. It is a warm almost-goldish cream on my (now fairer) skin and looks great when I'm doing a shiny red lip.