December 19, 2014 | 950 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Pigment in Vanilla

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2005 11:03:00 PM More reviews by avocate

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

They should call this "French Vanilla," because although it looks pretty in the jar, when I apply it it looks like that fake yellow color of grocery store brand French vanilla ice cream. I'm sure this shows up beautifully on some people but on me it's a sickly yellow.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/30/2005 7:09:00 PM More reviews by redhedsuze

Ugh, this looks hideous on me! I don't know what everyone sees in this one. I wanted to love it, like most everyone else. But to me it just looks like chalky white shimmer, with barely a hint of pink anywhere! Maybe I got a bad batch?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2005 8:55:00 PM More reviews by pinklikecandy

In the jar, Vanilla is a fairly ordinary shimmery cream shade. However, once applied, it's much more complex than that: golden pink shimmer. The texture is very finely milled and the color stays true on my oily lids. The only thing I dislike about this is the packaging. It's comes in a black jar, but the jar doesn't have a sifter. It costs $18.50 for 7.5 g/0.26 oz. I wouldn't buy the full-size, but I definitely repurchase samples of it. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2005 12:31:00 AM More reviews by shatteredshards

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Vanilla is one of those basic colors (a cream color with pink iridescence) that every pigment fan should have. You can use it by itself as a sheer lid wash, you can pack it on for a slightly more dramatic look, you can mix it with cool colors (I often combine it with Clear Sky Blue pigment) or mix it with warm colors, use it as a hilighter...it can pretty much work for everyone.

If you're used to pressed shadow, pigments can take a little time to get used to. It's very easy to find samples, however, so if you're curious swap for one or two.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2005 6:59:00 PM More reviews by leessuuhh

Vanilla pigment is a off-white shimmery color with a small hint of pink. I'm not a big fan of MAC pigments in general because they tend to be messy and you have to be precise in the amount you get on your brush, because you only need a very tiny amount otherwise it ends up being way too sheeny? (if that even a word)

I mainly use this on my inner corner, or as a highlighter, but you can basically brush on a little bit to add a bit of shine and glow. As I mentioned before a little bit of product gives off a lot of color so it'll last you quite a long time. It comes in an adorable jar, but can be messy at times because there is no sifter. Although this is a really versatile product, I doubt I'll ever use up the entire jar, so I wouldn't repurchase for that reason. But if I ever did, I definately would. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2005 10:03:00 PM More reviews by lanae87

An extremely versatile product that instantly brightens up my whole face. I have been using it on the inner corners of my eyes, on my browbone, and on my cheeks mixed w/blush. I will never be without this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2005 11:25:00 PM More reviews by dreamer81

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I seem like the oddball out here, but i'm really not a huge fan of this pigment. I'm an asian gal with yellow/olivey skin, MMM nc30-35, vitalumiere 30 cendre, and against my skin, this just looks strange. Vanilla is a highly frosty creamy white that flashes pink and green irridescence, if i remember correctly (barely wear this now). This is however, very pretty under the browbone if used extremely lightly. Also nice to add to moisturizer or very lightly dusted over blush. There are other pigment colors i find much more wearable. WIll not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2005 10:17:00 PM More reviews by zoegirl1987

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Other

Probably the most versitale product I own. Looks amazing as a highlighter on the cheeks, as a highlighter on the lips, as a highlighter or was on the eyes, I imagine if you wanted shimmery body lotion it wold be fantastic for that, the only product I can imagine needing for any highlighting needs. I have abandoned all my other pale shimmery eyeshadows for this as this blends with ANY color at all due to the flashes of both pink(perfect for cool toned looks) and gold(for warm toned colors). I was super skeptical at first, thinking a shimmery white loose powder can't be all *that* fabulous, but it is, and I can no longer imagine my stash without it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2005 7:18:00 PM More reviews by doocaw

This is my first pigment, and I'm so glad I bought it. It's so versatile and fun to play with! On my light, warm-toned skin, this shows up as a shimmery ivory champagne with gold (I don't see pink at all). Like others have said, it would be helpful to have a shaker-top of some kind - I'm always terrified of knocking the entire jar into the sink and losing it. It's less frosty than I'd imagined it to be; I tried on "Frost" when I bought Vanilla, and it was much frostier, with actual glitter that got all over my face. I bought BE's Nude Beach the same day I got my Vanilla pigment, and they're very similar colors, except Vanilla flashes gold and NB is more beige and complex. I would recommend this pigment to everyone - I think it's great as a wash, highlighter, and to blend and lighten other colors. If I ran out, I'd repurchase, though I don't think I could ever use it all up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2005 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Seclusae2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

DESCRIPTION OF ME Asian with a warm complexion (C3-C4 in MAC) with strong yellow undertones and some peach. Black hair. Very oily skin that is prone to breakouts.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Loose powder pigment that can be used on the eyes, cheeks and mixed with lip products. Some people have even used it with nailpolish. Available at MAC counters and stores, and maccosmetics.com. $18.50 for a full-sized jar containing 7.5 g/.26 US oz. I got a glass vial from a previous MAC collection from a swap. It holds approximately a tablespoon's worth.

PACKAGING Full-sized pigments come in a tall tub with a black screw top. It is sturdy but, as many reviewers pointed out, it is a disaster waiting to happen. It is easy to spill pigments and there is nothing that will control the out flow. Adding a shaker top would be a major improvement. I rated the packaging a four out of five.

The glass vial that I have is no better. The mouth and the cap are too small to dip your brush through. It truly is worthless. I transferred the pigment into a bigger tub I bought from Michael's. If you are interested in buying some too, you can look through the paint or beads sections.

COLOR This is the big selling point of this product. In the tub, Vanilla is a shimmery creamy off-white color with gold flecks. It does not look anything spectacular and that is the big reason why I was so skeptical about this pigment. Ooh, shimmer... Big whoop! Just yet another overhyped MAC product. However, on the skin, it turns into a very shimmery duochrome of light gold and fleshy pink. It is wonderfully complex yet versatile. I have never seen anything like it and I own over 150 eye color products.

The first time I tried it, I was hooked. I have been using it constantly as a wash or as a highlighter for browbone or the inner corners of my eyes. The great thing about using this as a highlighter is that you can apply it at the borders of your other eyeshadows and it will soften and blend out any harsh lines or mistakes. It melds with any color I've thrown at it, whether it be a cool baby blue or a hot burgundy. The neat thing is that the gold really melds with warm colors and the pink is really picked up by cools or neutrals. (All psychological, I know.) It is a subtle effect but as particular as I can be (as well as many other MUA members), it makes a whole world of difference.

I've also applied Vanilla with a skunk brush on my cheeks. It imparts just the tiniest hint of pink and it gives a shimmery glow. However, I have to be careful not to apply too much since Vanilla can look too frosty on my warm skintone. Vanilla also amps up matte blushes and, again, helps diffuse blending mistakes.

TEXTURE Very soft on the skin and easily blendable. No complaints here at all.

APPLICATION On my eyes, I apply Vanilla with my finger or with Sonia Kashuk's blending brush. (It is a fluffy teardrop shaped brush that can be used for a sheer, diffuse application.) It is very easy to apply and, if you pick up the right amount, is almost mistake-proof.

Since MAC pigments are loose powders, it is a little bit more inconvenient than a pressed product. However, you can simply work with the pigment that collects on the underside of the screw top. This is a lot better than messing with the inside of the tub and risking spillage.

LASTING POWER All the MAC pigments I have tried stay true and vivid throughout the day but crease on my oily lids. However, I have never had a powder product that never creased on me so I don't hold it against MAC or any other powder product. However, Vanilla doesn't look really obvious and ugly when it creases.

OVERALL FANTASTIC product. Even though I was a hardheaded skeptic towards it, Vanilla has quickly become one of my most used products. I will repurchase if I ever run out and I definitely recommend it. However, as wonderful as this product is, I don't think purchasing full-sized tubs are very practical. The vial will provide me with at least a year's worth and so I see no reason to pay retail for a tub.

continued >>