Maybelline One by One Volum' Express [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

Aqua/Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Cera Alba/Beeswax, Cera Carnauba/Carnauba Wax/Acacia Senegal Gum, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Peg/Ppg-17/18 Dimethicone, Steareth-20, Phenethyl Alcohol, Sodium Polymethacrylate, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil. Simethicone, Disodium Edta, Polyquaternium-10, Saccharum, Officinarum Extract/Sugar Cane Extract, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Panthenol, Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel Extract/ Lemon Peel Extract, Pyrus Malus Extract, Camellia Sinensis Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract [+/- May Contains: CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499/Iron Oxides, CI 77007/Ultramarines, CI 77891/Titanium Oxides, Mica, CI 75470/Carmine, CI 77288/Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77289/Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 77742/Manganese Violet, CI 77510/ Ferric Ferrocyanide] F.I.L. D43811/1

This product is $6.50 at Walmart. Personally, I don't really like this product. If you wanted really natural looking lashes, then it'd be perfect for you! It doesn't really enhance my lashes like I like my mascaras to do! It just makes them a little longer and fuller. It also has a really horrible smell, which I can't stand! So, to sum it up, you might like it if you want natural looking lashes, but if you want super long, volumized, and glam lashes like I want, then it's not the product for you!

on 10/11/2011 9:54:00 AM

Overview:
I judge mascara quite harshly because I have so many requirements for them. After using high and low brands, I'd say this is a solid good mascara. It's not great or HG but for those who are looking for a good defining mascara and not oily skinned, this might be the one for you.

My Skin and Mascara Requirements:
I'm really particular about mascaras. I have stick straight medium length lashes. They're not voluminous nor sparse. My lids are super oily so it's not a surprise when mascara smear around on my eyes and become the ill fated racoon look.

Product Characteristics (Colour or Textures):
This was advertised as a defining mascara even though it has the Volum' Express title with it. Did it achieve it? Most certainly. I love how this mascara nicely defined without any clumping. I bought this in the darkest shade and it was true to the description. It is an inky black with a hint of glossiness.

Results:
Though I think this is a good seperating gloss, I wouldn't say it's HG or great. It didn't hold my curl and it didn't last an entire day without smudging either. It smudged after 3 hours but racoon eyes. Just enough to be a bit of a mess. I also think this isn't the mascara if you're looking for volume. I was surprised it was linked to the Volum' Express brand. It did very little for volume and when I tried to use 2 coats, it helped a bit more but not by much.

Cost:
I got this on sale at SDM for only $6. Pretty affordable so no complaints there.

Why I Like it:
Nicely defines without any lumps and it has a nice dark slightly glossy look.

Why I don't like it:
It didn't hold a curl and smudge after 3 hours :(

Would I buy it again?
No.. onto to trying more DS mascaras!

on 10/7/2011 1:15:00 AM

THE SMELL UGH!!! I don't know what that crappy perfume they dumped into this stuff is, but it smells like a room full of little old ladies. I have a really weak sense of smell and I found I had to hold my breath when putting this stuff on. THIS IS AN EYE PRODUCT, THERE SHOUDN'T BE ANY PERFUMES IN IT, THEY'RE NEEDLESS IRRITANTS THAT COULD SPARK A REACTION!

Ugh, as for the mascara. It's just OK. It's not great, it doesn't really do anything much but darken and define your lashes, it doesn't volumize, it doesn't lengthen, it just is.... I find it doesn't flake as much as people are saying and I touch my eyes a lot, like a lot a lot. But honestly, I JUST bought this stuff a few weeks ago, and I already went out and bought something else. I'm super cheap and that doesn't happen often. Plus, this product doesn't even have any properties that nourish your lashes to make it's just okness acceptable. It's not conditioning, it doesn't protect, it just sits there, smelling aweful like a mix of cheap rose water and violets.

The brush doesn't grab your lashes like other brushes do, so you have to be careful about clumping. I feel like a tooth pick or a Q-tip would have done a better job of coating my lashes.

I would not buy this stuff ever again.

Mascaras should never be scented, at least not so noticeably you can tell.

Mascaras should do more than colour your lashes.

These two things are the only things that this mascara does, it fails as a mascara.

on 10/6/2011 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The brush is horrible and the product flakes like crazy. Not good.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

loved the brush and the way the mascara worked. they only problem is after I put it on and let it set, it began to flake horribly all day long. tired it again the next day and it did the same thing. i was disappointed. unfortunately, the excessive flaking was pretty bad and I took the mascara back. just didn't work for me.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

I am generally a big fan of Maybelline mascaras and couldn't wait to try this out. I found the scent hugely off-putting. I hate scented eye-products. I actually liked the brush and found it separated my lashes decently. The formula, on the other hand, left much to be desired. It was very wet and took a long time to dry. If I tried to get anywhere near my lashes before the mascara set, my lashes clumped together horribly. I am a quick MU before I run out the door sort of girl, so this was irritating. However, the biggest problem is that it occasionally flaked, which I find absolutely unacceptable. Overall, not at all impressed and won't buy again.

on 10/2/2011 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I was intrigued by the colour of the tube. I bought the waterproof version of this; it gives great definition, good length, separates and fan my lashes. This mascara doesn't smudge, flake or have much clumping which is nice. It may not give much volume at all but I really like how this makes my lashes look and it's my everyday mascara.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Haha! I just have to comment on the review below, yes! Yes it does smell a lil like roses, well at least to me. Lol onto the product, it was a lil better then ok, I think its the weird shape of the wand I'm not fond of. Its a lil hard to get a good coat due to the bristles being so close together and in a weird ball/sphere shape. Lol but no, I would not purchase this again.

on 9/29/2011 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is not a volumizing mascara. It's more a defining mascara in my opinion. When I use this, my lashes are darker and separated. They don't look thicker or longer. If the color were even darker, I would like this mascara a lot. Also, is it me, or does this mascara smell kind of like roses?

on 9/28/2011 5:03:00 AM

This products is 'meh' at best. Not the best, not the worst. Price (6.00? is what I think I paid)
- - -
Pros - easily coats lashes, formula isn't too dry or too wet (in my opinion), no smudging issues.
- - -
Cons - The shape of the brush makes it awkward to apply mascara. I prefer a skinnier brush that's easier to wiggle back and fourth and really get the outer lashes. This brush balloons out not making it easy to apply to lashes one by one like the name implies. Volume was eh.
- - -
Overall - not great, but not terrible for a drugstore mascara. Low performance rating due to minimal volume without an eyelash curler and brush being so awkward. Now on to the Falsies Flared...