October 21, 2014 | 1995 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2012 10:08:00 AM More reviews by jc2729

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I finally gave in to the hype and bought the 2 pack since I figured if I do like it, its cheaper in the long run. Its a great tool for high coverage/long wearing foundations. If you wear a lighter foundation I dont think you need this sponge, I've tried it with both maybelline superstay and fit me foundations. It worked really great with the superstay! Great coverage and did not look cakey at all. When I tried it with the fit me I felt that it soaked up a lot more of the product and gave similar results as a good foundation brush (like the sigmax brushes). So overall if you use heavier foundations I think the beautyblender is the way to go =) Oh fyi, its super annoying that such an expensive sponge bleeds pink dye! Hopefully the new beautyblender pure (white) will come in a 2 pack soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by easturner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wasn't sure if I should believe all of the hype about this product, but I took a gamble and ordered it off of Amazon (it was a few dollars cheaper). From the first time that I used it (I used it wet), I was in love. My foundation looked like skin. It was the most perfect finish ever. I've even used this to apply my tinted moisturizer. It is a bit pricey for a makeup sponge, but I think it is totally worth it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2012 2:16:00 PM More reviews by nekroze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

As a long time fan of anything about cosmetics,I can easily say that this is one of the biggest sales gimmick I have ever seen.Especially after it came out ,it was on everywhere.I didin't pay much attention first but then some of my fav beauty blogs mentioned it,so I went and paid and got a little pink sponge for a funny(in a tragic way) price.
First of all,I am a light application loving girl.I am pale so I have to be careful with my blushes and stuff.As for the foundation,I love sheer and natural coverage.So here are my thoughts about BB coming:
1)The amount of foundation you have to use with BB is just ridiculous.I use brushes to apply foundation,not fingers.I like sheer and buildable products so spending so much of a product is not a problem for me.But this is extreme.An example : if you need 1-2 pump for fingers,2-3 for any brush,I need min. 4 pumps for the BB.and I dont even layer/build my foundation for more coverage.Buying a new high end foundation when I need one is not a problem for me but the fact that it will be lasting for not more than 2 months maximum is not amusing me.

2)the effect: I don't understand this.It is not creating a magical look or something.it just gives you the effect that any right brush-foundation duo and some avarage blending technique can give.it also lowers down the covering ability.My fav brushes for foundation is mac 187 and 130.I love the new Shiseido brush as well.Hakuhodo,a brand I am new to,seems to have perfect foundation tools .I got G5552 and it is perfection.So what does this sponge has? nothing unique.Besides eating your foundation up and requiring longer time for application.

3)cleaning: painful.I have to use a cleansing oil to take off the foundation totally.I clean my brushes with mac's make up cleanser after each application and shampoo about once a week.even washing a brush takes less time.and with BB you have to do it everyday.It is not sweet,really.if you are concerned a lot about the bacteria and breakouts(i dont experience any),you will not enjoy the cleaning process.

4)price: ok this is the real deal breaker.BB is made of suede.it sounds fancy.like "look,it is not a cheap sponge material,you see?" But the truth is a suede sponge is what you use for your shoes.and they don't/can't cost 20 bucks.But an unstoppabable hype creates the illusion of a 20 dollar sponge is actually worth it.With the price of 2 BBs,you can go and buy a brush that you can use till the end of your life,not only from Mac,but from many other or even better brush producers.

I will stop here.it is only the cons here.One pro is that it actually works good with cream/liquid blushes/highlighters.So I sometimes use it.But buy it again? definetly not worth it.I already have two and this is not something I will go and buy again unless I win the lottery or someting.

18 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2012 3:27:00 AM More reviews by Necrodeity

This sponge is by far the best sponge I've ever tried and nothing really compares to this. It's softer than other sponges (Sonia Kashuk and Basically U Super Blender Sponge from Ulta) and applies/blends foundation better. They try to imitate the shape but they can't duplicate the results. My only complaints are it stains even after washing it thoroughly (I used the Beauty Blender cleanser, baby shampoo, castille soap and it still stained!) and that it's pretty expensive.. I think I read somewhere that they only recommend using it for 3 months.. But at this price, I'll use it for as long as I could!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2012 1:53:00 AM More reviews by nette92

Okay, I was very excited to try this out. I wanted it for so long because i love wedges to apply makeup but I hate the fact that they have edges. So, I bought 2 of these. When I applied my makeup, it was fast and the wetness made my face look glowly. Awesome. However, I found that by the end of the day my skin looks worse then it did that morning, like irritated red spots. And I hadn't changed anything in my routine, except for adding this sponge. I noticed this happen on the days I used this. I believe the culprit lies on the pink dye on the BB. Everytime I wet it, the water runs pink. I really don't like the fact that pink stuff is getting on my face, and as a person with sensitive skin it obviously is becoming a problem. Loved the application but will not buy again. Back to cosmetic wedges.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2012 11:47:00 AM More reviews by sdelory

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the best, I love it! Makes foundation go on perfectly as well as under eye concealer, it's worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2011 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Chynnac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This little sponge changed my makeup life! I agree it's a little pricey but it's worth every penny. It makes my foundation application quick and produces the most natural beautiful finish. I know you will see people compare this to other imitations, it does not compare. I have the Sonia Kahuk and this s much better, it's softer and applies like a dream. I use it for revlon Colorstay or Makep Forever HD foundation. Buy this!

Update July 23, 2013: I went away from this sponge and I don't know why, its awesome!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by DBiggs23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like the Beauty Blender so far, today is my second day using it and I must say it is way easier and much more flawless of an application. I will update if my thoughts change. I was not happy that the cleanser did not come with the double package so I believe I will have to purchase that, the sponge is stained already. Not a big deal but I would rather it be clean. Overall though I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2011 5:18:00 AM More reviews by Sippinonkrystyle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Definetly worth the splurge and lives up to the hype! I am a big skeptic and always hold out on trying new things till its been out on the market for a while and has had plenty of reviews. I know there are a few alternatives like the Sonia kashuk (which I haven't tried) and the one by Ulta which was 5 bucks. I tried that first and it was a waste of my 5 dollars. It does not compare to the beauty blender at all! I love the way it blends my foundation with ease and it feels pleasant while I stipple/bounce it on my face. It can soak up a bit even when wet, but to avoid wasting it, I dot my foundation all over my face then blend it with the beautyblender. The price may be steep but spend the extra 6 bucks and get the double pack.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2011 2:31:00 AM More reviews by AlyssaJD

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Girls. Girls. Thought this looks like just a cute sponge, it is soooo much more than that. THIS SPONGE is the KING of all sponges. I have always used sponge wedges. The y give the best coverage when pressed against the skin (very fast obviously) And have searched for an alternative. I bought the Sonia Kashuk sponge and it dosn't even compare. (I looked here and some said the Sonia Kashuk is better??? You clearly have never tried the BB. So make sure you push down when you take it out of the packaging. You will notice the texture and softness is like no sponge you have felt before. Get it wet and it will expand and get to be twice the size. The sonia kashuk is much "harder" and does not expand. When you "stipple it on" with the sk you feel like your punching yourself in the face. Trust me. They do not compare in any way shape or form. The beautyblender brings out the best in your foundation. It gives you more coverage, uses wayyy less product that sponge wedges, and when its wet, gives you an auhmazinggg finish. Go for the double pack when you buy, cheaper. Now, for ME i will buy this again. Im shocked at how great this thing is. I had serious doubts i was wasting my money. BUT It saves me foundation, gives me more coverage, faster to do a whole face of foundation, and i love the finish it gives me. I haven't found a cheaper alternative yet.

Things i dont like,
The face that you must get it wet is kindof a pain. Luckly my bathroom is right across from my bedroom. Something to think about.
Also, im not a germ freak... but it dose bother me that you are reusing a sponge over and over again, getting it wet. It has to have tons of bacteria... but for the price of it, i gotta say f*ck the bacteria, im using this thing till it falls appart. Now off to find the best cleanser for this thing....

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No