December 21, 2014 | 989 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by princess101

I have a few of these and notice there is a difference in quality from the ones I purchased years ago. When I first began purchasing this sponge, it was rather expensive (and still is), but the sponge lasted a good 3+ months with daily washing and never bled any dye.

I recently began to run low on my supply (I originally purchased by the dozen during Sephora FF sale) and have found the newer ones to bleed a bright pink dye during the first 5-6 washings, in addition to tearing upon inital wash. This still applies my foundation just the same as before but I question what chemicals have made their way to face due to the dye. I know that this will not last 3 months after the inital tear, as a week into using the newer sponge another new tear has appeared. I am by no means rough with this sponge and clean daily to minimize any bacteria that may form during the drying process.

Anyway, this does give a very natural finish to almost any liquid foundation I have used. For foundations with a thicker consistency, this works beautifully---helps when applying a light layer, allowing you to build coverage where needed. I find light layers to be particularly difficult with a brush or even fingers, especially with foundations like Revlon colorstay.

I typically use the bottom (largest end) on my cheeks, forhead, and chin area, use the pointed end for my eye area, around the nose and hairline. With very thin liquid foundations, this can soak up product...to curb that, I dot the foundation all over my face with a clean fingertip and then distribute the rest with the sponge. I only dip the sponge into a drop of foundation on a clean palette if it is of a thicker consistency, as I find they don't soak into the BB.

For those in Canada, you can order online directly from beautyblender, or retailers such as theshoppingchannel.com, ebeauty.ca,or even cherryculture.com. If you live in BC (Vancouver area) you can purchase these at Sephora stores in singles, and BeautyMark in yaletown.

**UPDATE**
I went and purchased the London Look version of this sponge (London Look Precision Makeup Sponge) which is also pink. Upon initial comparison, the London Look sponge visually appears the same but is a tad different. It is more dense and not as spongey as the BB when dry---it is not hard but just firmer than the BB, and it not as soft. The BB has a velvety touch to it, while this is soft it is not as soft. When soaked, it triples in size and is actually larger than the BB. One thing to note is that when squeezing out the water, I suggest squeezing as much as you can and then rolling in a towel to remove remaining. The London Look holds much more water than the BB and because it is denser it requires a bit more work to squeeze out the excess. Application wise, this work just as good as the BB. Once it is damp it soft, spongey and has the bouncy quality that BB has. I like that because it is larger, the base covers more area quickly than the BB. The pointed end is about the same size as the BB when damp and thus works the same IMO.

I don't know how long this will last in terms of overall quality, but it did not bleed nor tear in the first few washings. This dupe retails for $9.99 and I would suggest giving this a try if you can't/don't want to spend the money on a BB. I honestly don't see myself repurcashing the original BB now.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2012 12:16:00 AM More reviews by narnar721

This sponge is simply amazing. It literally gives the face a beautiful airbrushed finish. I have almost every brush from every brand and nothing compares to this! You have to get it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by minimad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I followed the directions to the tee and ended up with a poor makeup application (forget an airbrush finish...it wasn't even close to that). I now store my lovely pink egg in the back of my makeup drawer as a constant reminder to myself that High End isn't always a guarantee of a great product.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 4:37:00 AM More reviews by hpunkinway

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really do not "get" this product. I probably just need a tutorial, but it just seems to "pack on the crap" and not really do anything else. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I absolutely cannot get over the hype over this object. Can someone here please educate me? I wet the sponge, do what I am supposed to do, but honestly, what a waste of time! I might as well continue using my fingers.
What am I missing?

UPDATE: Looking at all the good reviews here, I would just love someone to show me what I am missing out on. I find this product to be beyond hype. If you know better, please help educate me regarding how to use this.This was one of those purchases that I have to think, "Why did I buy this???" I have had it a while now. I was hoping that at some point I could say, "great, I like this." I still do not, unfortunately. This thing can pile on the plaster, but it does not look natural. I have been working with this thing for a year, and I still do not like it.
The best I can say is that I can use my fingers or other sponges to smooth out the application after I have used this beast to absorb an inordinate amount of product. In my experience, using fingers to apply foundation is quite adequate. When you use these other items. I personally think that you are just buying into a racket to use more product that necessary.
And try to clean the darn thing?! (Watch your money and time go down the drain.)
I think that Beauty Blender took me for a fool, and believe me, I feel foolish! What an incredible amount of money for such nonsense!

2nd update: Still trying this once in a while using all the information provided, and I just don't see the point. It uses up more than twice the product you would use if you used your fingers. I think that the finger method works better anyway. I just don't get it.

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Parpar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

This is NOT for the actual "Beauty Blender" but rather the exact replica (but in a different colour) sold at London Drugs (in Canada). That sponge is sold for about $6.00 and obviously the beauty blender is far more expensive. In Canadian Sephora's the Beauty Blender is not sold, so one has to order online. Anyways I wear liquid foundation and have tried the following ways to apply my foundation: fingers, damp sponge, dry sponge, flat foundation brush, curved foundation brush, and lastly a stippling brush. My favourite by far is Mac's stippling brush, but my second would be this sponge. But will I buy it again? Probably not, here are the reasons why.
It is a sponge, no matter what you clean it with, how you clean, or how long you clean it before, it will not be bacteria free. The very first time that I tried to clean it, the residue from my foundation would not come out, and obviously it looked discolored. If you're re-using a sponge, and getting blemishes this is probably the reason why. I don't know what cleaner comes with it, but it has to be pretty strong for people not be breaking out, right? Another thing, some of the cleaners that brushes/sponges come with are very, very harsh on the skin...just a note that people should be aware off...that's why I wash my brushes with Cetaphil and Tea Tree Oil.
The only point that this sponge would have over any brush is the design of it, and because of that it is very easy to get into crevices of the face, like by the eyes, beside the nose, on the nose...stippling on the nose is a bit odd haha!

Also like with other sponges if you dampen this, it would work much better. I have seen people use this different ways...like going back and forth with it and rolling it on each side, or dabbing it onto the skin. The latter would pose more of a risk of wasting too much foundation.

So I feel that if these came in packs, and were cheap enough like regular cosmetic sponges, I might give them another try, but until then I am going to stick with my stippling brush. Also if you have redness and blemishes to cover up, a dabbing motion rather than a downward motion would work the best. That's why these sponges and the stippling brush work so well for people who have acne. If you want to try this, and live in Canada, go to London Drugs and pick up the sponge before making the splurge on the real deal..the brand is called "London Look" I believe, and I found it where they keep the nail grooming tools. The reason I am giving it a 3 is that it is a fabulous tool to apply liquid make-up, but not sustainable for many people (myself included).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by Jlr7071

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this pink egg-shaped makeup sponge!!!!!! Can't boast enough about it! I tried the Sonia Kashuk sponge and was ok with it (bit stiffer). Then I bought the BB and there's no comparison! It is much softer and my foundation goes on flawlessly and ever so evenly without brush streaks! I use two pumps of my foundation for all over coverage.

I wet the sponge thoroughly with warm H2O and squeeze excess out with my hand then I use a clean towel to squeeze more of the water out before using it.

I bought the BB soapy cleanser it works ok, I don't like the scent! I usually have to rinse and repeat.

Another cool notion is that you can mail the BB back to the company after about 3 months (the usual life of the sponge) and they will dispose of it in a friendly environment method.

Dislikes: foundation stains remain on sponge & pink dye bleeds out

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 8:27:00 PM More reviews by SwtValina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOOOVE this sponge! Once I figured out how to use it. I use the pointy part to blend my concealer and then I moisten it and use it to blend my foundation. I also use it to clean up my eyeshadow. It gives a nice flawless look. Make sure it is not too wet though. After I wet the sponge I dry it on a towel. I gently clean it with hand soap without a problem. It's worth a try, you can always return to sephora if you don't like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 7:52:00 PM More reviews by boxyeongxan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I do really like the finish it gives and the foundation really does look flawless. I've only used liquid foundation with this sponge so far though.
It is pretty pricey for a sponge (I had a gift card at the time sooo yeah splurge lol) but it is kinda worth it because it is so multifunctional?
I use the bottom round part for my all over foundation and I use the pointed tip for under eye concealer or around the nose. And in the instructions it says you can also use it for powder and blush soooo yeah.
It does get stained pretty easily though. I wash it as thoroughly as I can but there still is like a little orangish stain.
After a while it does kinda flake? but i mean..its a sponge after all. LIke a brush sheds after time, sponges flake.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 7:14:00 PM More reviews by Seattlemama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this. I've tried every other method of application and on me, the beautyblender works best for a flawless, airbrushed effect. Believe the hype! It does need to be washed with the special soap once a week, or you could probably just use a gentle shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 7:11:00 PM More reviews by lilblue10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I actually wasn't expecting much when purchasing it, but I always have a hard time with my foundation because I have a lot of acne scars and big pores. My skin is just really hard to work with overall, I can't never get the perfect,flawless application I so want. I thought my Sigma F80 was working pretty well but got a little bored so I thought why not try this. I bought the 2 pack because its way cheaper that way and figured that if I didnt like it I could always swap the unused one. Turns out I love it, seriously I know its just a sponge but there is something MAGIC about it. My Revlon Colorstay look flawless when I apply it with the BB. I think it works better with thicker liquid foundation because I've tried it with my Mac Studio Sculpt ( which is a gel ) and its awful lol. But I mostly wear full coverage foundations which are generally thicker so its not a problem to me. I'm so glad I tried it and won't ever be without it again