September 22, 2014 | 1839 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2011 6:31:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this about 3 years ago and left it to languish in my MU drawer. After reading the new reviews on this I decided to give it another try. I use it damp (emphasis on 'damp', not 'wet') and pat-stipple the fdt (any) on my face, rather than swipe it. It really does an excellent job of softening the fdt (especially the thicker, full-coverage ones) and avoiding the masky/cakey look. Fdt looks more even, better blended, w/o giving up on coverage. Even with setting powder on.

So far, I've used it with Kevin Aucoin's liquid fdt., Dior's sculpt (a must for this type of fdt), Calvin Klein's matte liquid, Sephora's perfecting liquid fdt., and Estee Lauder's full coverage fdt (the one in the blue tube), and it's worked beautifully with all of them. I wash it gently after each use ad let it air-dry. I just use regular hand wash because I can't afford the brand's detergent. Works anyway.

I'm glad I resurrected this little gem. I do recommend it. In fact, the thicker, matter the ftd, the more I recommend you to use this sponge.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 2:22:00 PM More reviews by pineappleprincess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for a few months now. If you're going to buy the sponge, you might as well bite the bullet and purchase the cleanser as well - that'll save you from your woes when you can't get the foundation off it. As a professional makeup artist, this is a really great tool to have. I use it when I want a flawless look for my own face - so I guess you can say that it's worth the steep price! I bought mine here in Canada online at ebeauty.ca. You can buy the sponge and cleanser together to save money. I'd definitely recommend this sponge. It's not super popular in Canada yet but I have a feeling it will be soon!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2011 1:00:00 AM More reviews by kaejlarh92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best sponge I have ever used. I bought it online at $17 for two over here in Australia. Which us awesome because they're normally $20 for just one! I love how it expands when wet and it feels soo nice and soft. Make up goes on like a dream. I definitely won't be wasting my money on buying more regular sponges or foundation brushes when this fabulous little pink sponge does a much better job for a range of makeup products! I will definitely be repurchasing once both of them have worn out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2011 4:18:00 PM More reviews by mellypmakeup

I just started using the BeautyBlender and already I can say i love how it made my makeup look. I tried it dry but did notice i needed more foundation to cover my face (1 pump and a 1/2) when used damp i only used 1/2 of 1 pump for my entire face! that less than i've used with a regular damp sponge! i really like this product. I'm sold!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2011 5:26:00 PM More reviews by Kashinka

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using my Beautyblender for 7 or 8 months, during which time I've gone back and forth on how well I like it. But I've settled down to liking it very much, despite the ridiculous price.

I have very oily, acne-prone skin that is very uneven in color and texture. Consequently, foundation has always been important to me, and I usually prefer medium to heavy coverage. With the Beautyblender, I can apply enough foundation to even up my skin tone and cover most red spots while at the same time looking almost like I'm not wearing makeup. The coverage it provides manages to be both opaque and airy. I've never achieved anything like it before, even with other sponges such as the very dense wedges.

I'm currently using foundation that comes in a tube. I squeeze a light amount over the palm of my hand, spreading it out thinly. Then I wet the BB, squeeze out the excess water, and sort of roll it around in the foundation. Not all around; maybe 1/3 of the way. Then I roll it around on my face. If I want a bit more coverage, I dab the BB on my face. Unlike some other reviewers, I have never had a problem using the tip underneath my eyes. It works very well.

WASHING. This is a problem. The BB will pick up some color from your makeup, and bleed pink dye. There's nothing you can do about that. But I've discovered the best way of cleaning it: put some oil-free eye makeup remover (the cheap ones work as well as the pricey ones) on both sides of a cotton ball and press it against the stained areas of the BB. You can squeeze the sponge to extract as much makeup as you can. When you've picked up as much as you can with both sides of the ball, put some cleanser that is good at removing makeup (I love Clean & Clear's Makeup Dissolving Cleanser, but it's been discontinued) on the BB, run some water over it, and squeeze. Make sure to get all the cleanser out and let it air dry, which it will do pretty quickly. You must do this after EACH use, or the makeup will build up on the sponge and it will eventually become unusable.

I've given this product a 4-lippie rating because, while it works amazingly well, the price is ridiculous. I bought the 2-pack in an attempt to save money, but the sponge has held up so well that I don't know when, if ever, I'll get to use the other one.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2011 2:57:00 AM More reviews by RoxyOhSoFoxy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was not prepared to fork out $20 for a sponge, so i researched the product, read all the reviews, watched all the tutorials. Then i saw Mario Dedivanovic using it on Kim K and i was sold! What a brilliant investment! This is now my HG. I love love love the flawless finish it provides. With my acne scarring i tend to load on the concealer...but with this little gem i can use a little product and blend away an voila i look flawless. Not one of my brushes can blend out my It Cosmetics bye bye under eye concealer....but this little egg can! I will def repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2011 1:08:00 PM More reviews by MaddieEvans

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I change my mind on whether I like foundation or not (half the time I find it too cakey and irritating) but I decided to give it another go just to try out this sponge and see what the fuss was about. I really love it. Previously I've used my fingers, regular sponges, and a flat brush to apply makeup, but I think this is my favourite way to apply foundation (plus it's cute). It can be used for sheer coverage, which I prefer, and I like that it lasts a long time (less waste!). It's kind of hard to find but if you live in Canada www.ebeauty.ca sells it with free shipping (I think it's some kind of promotion).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2011 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Yoshi3329

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've just gotten into makeup and I follow a few makeup artist online. One is Sam fine. He always uses sponges. I've seen his celebrity faces that he's done and I wanted that look as well. But I personally didn't want to purchase so many sponges every certain amount of time. So when Fine recommended this I decided to check it out. I was skeptical at first, but when I read that one reviewer on Sephora has the same beauty blender sponge for a year I was sold.

This is a high quality sponge. I can clearly tell the difference between a cheap sponge from the drugstore and this sponge. I frankly don't think this waste product, I only use a 2 swipes of my cream foundation and I can use it all over my face. The sponge I think is great for controlling how much product you use. If I need more, I just simply squeeze the sponge.

Don't waste your time purchasing the cleaner, Dawn liquid soap works just fine. This gives a flawless and natural face and the texture and the shape are agreeable with the skin and face. People couldn't even tell I was wearing a full coverage foundation.

My only disappointment is that there are tears in the sponge. It's prompted me to be a lot more careful and it hasn't effect the way concealer or foundation is applied in my opinion. I'm not surprised, I have been using it for months practically everyday.

Another thing to watch out for is that it can get misshaped. I was traveling when I notice that. However, once I applied some water it may have had the lumpy shape but it stilled applied well. After using it a second or third rise time the sponge would reshape again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2011 10:28:00 PM More reviews by xtinahb

AMAZING! I was so skeptical about a $20 sponge, but was looking for a new way to apply foundation in the summertime where I want a lighter touch. This thing is awesome. It truly blends and smooths liquid foundation and concealer perfectly and since I dampen it as directed, it leaves a nice dewiness to the skin, not powdery or matte at all. The narrow point is perfect for corners of eyes and around the nose and the wider end is just the right size to press and roll around your face to finish. I didn't buy the cleanser; I just use baby shampoo after each use. I wish there was a better way to store this than the cheapo plastic case it comes in, but it's no biggie. LOVE and recommend!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2011 10:33:00 PM More reviews by miszjackie

Love! I no longer use any brush on my face (except for a powder brush to set my makeup in the end and eyeshadow brushes). This is all I need. it leaves my face look flawless! My ONLY complaint would be that it tends to waste alot of my Palladio foundation. Luckily, my foundation isn't expensive :p but other than that, I would definitely repurchase. What I like to do is swirl my sponge into my foundation and then spray It with my MAC fix + for a SUPER flawless look :)