Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.6

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 2/26/2013 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was looking for an all over powder to wear with light coverage for easy weekend days where I didn't want to wear a face full of foundation. I planned to wear this over concealer. I had a few problems. The main issue, and the reason this is a NO for me, is that it felt uncomfortable on my skin (slightly irritated/itchy). Also, the way I roll, I like to touch up concealer throughout the day - it gets rubbed off and what not... when I tried to add concealer over the top of the powder and blend, it did not work at all - caused a mess on my face. The lightest shade worked for me, but would not work for paler people. The packaging was top notch though - ingenious - 5 stars for it.... you screw the mechanism inside and it dispenses a bit of product, then it comes with a nice dense brush (unheard of!) to apply. No need to drop another 40 bucks on a brush. The coverage was actually higher than I had expected - it was light to medium.

on 2/5/2013 3:42:00 PM

I have acne-prone skin and was aware of the risk that I was taking when I purchased this product. I wanted to try a hydrating powder because I thought that it would not look so cakey, dry and disgusting on my skin as some of the other popular mineral foundation tend to look. I was quite bowled over by the quality of this product. I like how the company includes a shaver- it makes for less messy application and it decreases the risk that you waste the product or spill it on the counter. This is a very expensive retail product at $59, so I did not want to be wasteful. When I apply it, I only use a little, and it leaves my skin with a cooling sensation upon application. I do not think it makes me look greasy or oily during the day. I have not broken out as a result of using this product. As for the packaging, the full-sized product is quite large, so it is a bit difficult to fit into a cosmetic bag as it takes up a lot of space. It also comes with a mirror in the top part of the compact, but considering that when closed the mirror accumulates the powder dust residue, it makes it a little tedious to use. For this reason I give the packaging only a four out of five stars. Other than that, I think this powder is a gem and is worth the money.

Update: After having been using Tarte's Amazonian Clay powder for the last few months, I have to remove one lippie from this product. Comparably, Tarte's product is simply superior- better lasting power, less need for reapplication, more compact for traveling, etc. However, I still do enjoy this product and therefore will leave it with four lippies.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I really love this powder. I use it over my thin layer of liquid foundation to swipe my impurities. It goes on very well, and it absorbs into my skin rather quickly. With this powder I would say that less is more. It also sticks to my skin throughout the day, and I don't have to reapply or do any touch-ups. Overall a very good product!

on 1/6/2013 3:19:00 PM

I love the packaging concept but the product itself isn't impressive enough for the money. It's good, it doesn't break me out and the coverage is nice (I don't want heavy coverage) but my forehead still gets oily half way through the day. It's ok but I won't repurchase.

on 1/4/2013 5:16:00 PM

This is the best powder I have ever used! I had almost given up on finding a finishing powder. Either they clogged my pores, or highlghted flaws, or oxidized. Halo powder does not do any of those things. Anti-ageing, glowy, smooth, perfect. One word of caution, the colors are much darker than expected. I normally wear light-medium shades in powders and foundations. In this, I wear the lightest shade, fair. I originally bought light and ended up using it as a subtle bronzer, as it is a light tan shade...

on 12/23/2012 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

I brought this in a light/medium shade to go on top of my BB cream which is a shade lighter then my actually skin tone(most BB cream colors are pretty pale). The color matches my skin perfectly which was a relief. It didn't look cakey or flaky which was great.
On the flip side, it had no coverage at all; well at least on my skin it didn't. The brush that it comes with was useless.
The packaging is very smart and convenient because of the twisting function. I actually accidentally dropped it on tiles right after buying it and it was still in good condition.
All in all, I would not be buying this again since it is way too expensive for such an average quality.

on 12/7/2012 10:01:00 AM

I like the way it sets under my sheer foundation or tinted moisturizer but looks cakey when my forehead gets oily. I will not buy again, too expensive!

on 12/4/2012 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I for sure agree on the great packaging. The price, it's way too expensive. Would I buy it, not a chance. I live in Calgary Alberta (dry winters) I have fairly dry skin in the winter especially. I had a great SA apply the 02 shade to 1/2 my face & 02 EA Pure Finish to the other half. I went for coffee with a friend & checked how my face looked a few hours later. The Halo looked a little 'cakey' & had creased into my smile line & around my nose was getting flakey. It was also quite pale looking compared to the EA side (which still looked like I had flawless makeup). With all the raving reviews, I'm surprised Halo was so awful on my skin. Maybe its better for oilier skin? I went back & bought the Pure Finish instead! :)

on 11/28/2012 4:55:00 AM

My face looked fresh and naturally flawless during the first 2 hours or so then became oily. Brilliant design though.. Twist and dispense. I think that's what made it so expensive. Other than that, it doesn't work.

on 11/23/2012 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

PROS: This is a great product - wonderful on my sensitive, acne prone skin, and I'm allergic to everything. Halo provided a wonderful medium-opaque coverage without caking or flaking, or creasing into those laugh lines. Absolutely one of the best powders on the market, IMO.
The packaging is unique, and I do like it - it's portable, has a mirror, and you can control how little or how much you want with a twist.

CONS: Toss the brush it comes with in the garbage, it's worthless. Use your own. Price is steep - $60 for two, maybe two and a half months of use? Eek. Also, my natural color is somewhere in between light and medium, which makes me wish Smashbox would come out with a color in between the two. Also, it's extremely hard to tell when you're about to run out! I usually order another towards the end of the second month, after I found out the hard way when I ran out the first time.

SUMMARY: I would recommend this product just for the fact it's really great on my sensitive, all over the map skin, provides decent coverage and Smashbox is a fantastic brand that rarely disappoints. 4 stars.

Top Rated Smashbox Products