July 28, 2014 | 1655 users online

Powder - Chanel - Mat Lumiere Luminous Matte Powder Makeup SPF 10

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2010 9:43:00 AM More reviews by LadyDarling

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just love this. I use it everytime I go out. Great at keeping the oil at bay. The compact is nice and sturdy and the mirror is great.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by jootje

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I started using the old formula of this (Double Perfection) years ago (which I already reviewed then). Since then it has been replaced with this one (in the Netherlands at least) and as the formula is different I thought I'd review it here aswell. I know a lot of people loved the old formula way more than this one, but I must say I don't really notice a difference. The only difference I remember is that this might feel a bit lighter on the skin than the old formula. Also, the packaging has improved. It's easier to refill now. As to me this is still just as nice as the old formula I will just repeat what I said about Double Perfection:
I had been looking for a good foundation for ages, getting samples at every possible store and trying all of them. I'm very picky when it comes to foundation, I want it perfect. And perfect it is. I absolutely love this foundation! I love how it's a powder so you can decide how much coverage you want. My face tends to become a little oily near the and of the day, but with this stuff on I don't have to worry about that. The most imporant thing to me is that it looks very natural. No one can ever tell I am wearing it. Chanel is the only brand that has a perfect color match for my skin (I use the 80 in summer and 70 in winter). I love the package, it's really usefull and pretty. I usually don't use the spunge for applying though, unless I want full coverage. Most of the time I just apply a little with a kabuki brush, which is enough for my skin to look fabulous and matte all day. It also makes my pores less visible without clogging them. I've never got a breakout from this product. It is kind of pricey but it lasts a very long time and I'm so glad I finally found something I like, I really don't give a shit about the price! This is the only foundation I let near my skin.
I have been wearing Chanel DP/ML every day for around 5 years and I still love it to death. I don't even feel tempted to check out other foundations. Not could possibly beat this.

Edit: After 5 years of everyday use I realized that this is mildly clogging my pores... It doesn't break me out, just clogged pores and only on my cheeks. I started wearing this when I still had acne and that has cleared up since then so I thought this couldn't be clogging my pores. I realized it was when I didn't wear anything on my face for a week. My skin looked a lot smoother and all my clogged pores were gone or going away. I'm sure it's this as I was only wearing two things on my face before: moisturizer and this. I've tested my moisturizer by applying it just to one side of my face for weeks and it definitely doesn't clog my pores. I now only use this on special occassions and otherwise I wear nothing on my face. So unfortunately I will have to take off a lippy for this. All powders I've tried clog my pores btw. I still love this because of it's perfect color match, natural look and oil fighting properties. I would still use this for special occassions because it looks so damn good and using it once in a while isn't going to harm my skin. It's just not for daily use anymore, but because of my improved skin texture I don't need it anymore (how ironic). So after 5 years of 'HG status' I am forced to put I will not buy this again. ):
Update: I've found a powder that doesn't clog my pores, maybelline dream matte powder. It's really nice, but it is a lot sheerer than this chanel powder foundation.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2010 4:00:00 AM More reviews by GabrielleUtomo

My Super Duper HG for foundation during summer. (*note that Im not using it during winter since my skin is really dry and using this cause a bit dry patch on my face). Chanel really put some serious effort in making such a wonderful foundation.

Pro : GREAT oil control, minimal touch up, perfect my skintone, no oxidize, easy to apply, medium coverage (i love this cos i hate heavy foundation that make my face looks like geisha, it actually buildable, if you prefer heavy coverage, no worries)

Cons : a bit pricey.

For reference, Im Asian girl with fair-medium skintone, with combination type of skin. For those who live in tropical country or are in summer weather, this is A-MUST-BUY product. I use MAC Studio Fix NW25 and MUFE HD 125 and Chanel Mat Lumiere compact 100 Intense is perfect match for my skin-tone. Bloody hell expensive, but really worth to buy

rated 3 of 5 on 7/20/2010 3:55:00 PM More reviews by twostar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ok, so I have the following foundation powders from Chanel from over the years:

Mat Lumiere
Double Perfection
Vitalumiere

I could be crazy but you have to invest a lot initially to buy the compact (in Canada around $75) on the understanding that it's refillable and refills are cheaper. Every time I manage to work my way through a compact though, it seems like the line is discontinued and I have to buy another plastic case!

I guess I'm just stupid for continuing to buy it.

Enough of ranting. This product is pretty good, as are most Chanel makeup products. Does it justify the price? I'm not sure. I always feel like Chanel doesn't make enough colours in foundation. The powder is nice and smooth and doesn't seem to cake.

It's really pricey though and I feel like you can find similar quality for a much lower price elsewhere.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2010 9:00:00 AM More reviews by ameliemay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I received this and a sample of the liquid formulation of this foundation from the lovely ladies at the Chanel counter :] The liquid in the lightest shade was far, far too dark (the texture and finish were beautiful, I couldn't leave it on to see how it held up throughout the day, but I was sad it didn't work for me), so I was apprehensive about trying the powder. The saleslady had expressly told me it was a full-coverage powder foundation and to use it on its own, not over a liquid foundation, or I would cake up my young skin unnecessarily. However... when I put it on over bare skin, not only did it seem to add only the slightest increase in colour depth, it was very hard to treat as a powder foundation. Using the sponge applicator supplied deposited enough colour, but it had to be applied in a very small area else it would be sheered out and its purposes as a foundation reduced to slight colour change and mattifying, in the manner of a finishing powder... which is what I ended up using it for, with a fluffy kabuki brush. This is a beautiful powder - like the packaging says, there is nothing overly matte about this product. It imparts something beautifully glowy on the skin without detracting from the mattifying properties, and as added bonuses I get a slight golden increase in colour on my face and extra coverage ^^ it's nothing that people will distinctly notice and comment on - therefore not earning, to my mind, its rather expensive pricetag, nor a place too high above my other setting powders. I might buy it for a special occasion though. Or I might not. It's a generous sample :]

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2010 1:19:00 PM More reviews by JadeNguyen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Prefer Vita Lumiere cos this somehow can't treat my combination skin - the U zone is a bit flaky when I use it. Chanel really needs to improve the suede pouch, it gets dusty really fast and doesn't hold the foundation box at all, they are all over the place when I put it in my handbag, sponge, foundation, pouch.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2010 11:06:00 AM More reviews by ilove6kies

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This foundation is great. I started using foundations again in January and my friend recommended it to me.

First off, the packaging...while I love all Chanel packaging, I feel that they could make this compact less cumbersome. And the velvet pouch doesn't really do its job as my compact slides right out anyway.

Now when it comes to the texture, I was pleasantly surprised by its fine quality. I have combination/oily skin and with a primer it stays on my face all day. It is so finely milled, gives decent coverage, and does not cake up.

I have been using it everyday for the past 4 months and it ran out. I have since tried MAC Studio Fix Powder for a cheaper alternative and I was underwhelmed by the poor quality - I am going back to Chanel for sure.

Overall, I will definitely purchase again - I took off one lippy for the price, but you do get what you paid for!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2010 10:19:00 PM More reviews by wobblejelly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Its more like a 3.5 rating. Like the texture and how it goes on easily.
But I have to agree with one of the reviews that it does make the face a little dry. Perhaps it's because of the mattifying moisturiser I used underneath. But when I go without the mattifier, my T-zone starts getting oily a few hours later. A bit pricey but what to do, it's Chanel.
I will continue to use and observe the effects before deciding if I should buy again so it's a maybe at the moment.

Edited = after months later. After switching to a non mattifying moisturiser + started using a primer before putting on the powder, I am loving this product. Find that it brightens my complexion. Updated this to a 4-star. I will defintely buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2010 5:09:00 AM More reviews by blackholes

I bought this product after reading the excellent reviews on MUA, and because I'm a 'Chanel' girl - every skincare/makeup product I own is always almost Chanel. I must say that I'm not overwhelmed by the performance of this product.

This foundation can be applied either dry or wet. When applied in the dry form, the application is OK, and it blends in quite well. It does appear a little chalky when worn on the under eye, but the application on the rest of the face is good.

When applied in the wet form, the foundation works really well. It smooths out the entire face, giving it an even coloration. The best way to use this foundation would be to use a liquid foundation, and apply this over areas that you need extra coverage.

However, the product is not upto expectations and I would suggest buying this ONLY if you need a powder foundation for extra touch ups during the day/night. Definitely not a must have Chanel product.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/24/2010 11:48:00 PM More reviews by charlieong81

I am absolutely disapointed with this expensive and highly rated product. When the SA put on me N#50 Poudre at the department store, yeah it look good, nice glow so i bought it also thinking about the oil/sebum control properties.
I've worn it for 1 week now, and I can say not only does it not provide coverage, it made me look chalky and dried up as well. The oil controlling part is probably the only thing good about it as my forehead and nose is not as oily (but nose is a tad shiny by mid-day).
I would not recommend it and will not repurchase. I heard better reviews about the Mat lumiere extreme but it is not available in Australia :-(

My search for foundation continues....