Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

on 1/16/2012 3:41:00 PM

I'm honestly surprised by the crappy reviews for this. I don't recall the pre-reformulation juice, so I can't comment on it being better or worse. Although I admit the reformulations seem to be done to help "bottom line", meaning they cheapen the ingredients, so yeah i can see why it would ruin it for people who smelled the original version.

I own the current formulation and I like it a lot, it's an androgynous scent, for sure, if you dislike musky scents stay far away. But, I do like this MORE than opium and tabu, which are very similar. Obsession is lighter, has less incense and spice and more floral, so to me, or on me, it smells more feminine than the other two I just mentioned. I do like opium and tabu, I own them both, but I reach for this far more, it's just much easier to wear.

I can also see why people would find this "steely", I get a bit of that at first, but the dry down is very nice on me and the lasting power is amazing. A little goes a long way and for the amount you get, it is very affordable.

on 11/9/2011 3:18:00 PM

I used up my last bottle of the original from the late 80's. Then I bought a new bottle. I was horrified at what they had done to this once magnificent fragrance. I was so repulsed by the new juic ethat I promptly returned it to the dept store to see if I had gotten an old bottle. But no. It's been reformulated and as usual, the fragrance is ruined. For good. I haven't bought anything fragrance-wise in Calvin Klein for the past 10 years, and I probably won't be buying any in the future, if this reformulation of a former masterpiece is any indication as to where the future of perfume lies in this company.

Going through some of the reviews, I am wondering if I missed something, but I really like this scent. It was my go to scent for many years. Lately I've been more into the lighter perfumes, but I still use this one on occasion. I only have to use two light sprays and I am good for the entire day (or if the shirt isn't dirty and isn't washed right away, the smell stays on it after that day even). I think it can be way too heavy and horrible if you marinate in it, but I don't use much, just enough to be enjoyable. I've gotten quite a few comments on it too...

I recommend it and would buy it again when mine runs out

on 8/5/2011 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I dont understand what the hell this perfume is supposed to be, as soon as i spray it on BAAAAAAAAAAM, some insane pang of smell, not nice smell, NOOOOOO, nasty sharp metally weird not so pleasant smell. The thing is I do actually agree with the fact that the formulas been changed as my aunt still owns hers back from the early 90s or was it late 80s and that smelled divine so I went out and bought it. However they smell so different, defo a formula change. CALVIN KLEIN wth were you thinking?

on 7/5/2011 2:50:00 AM

I used to love this perfume - the warm powdery amber, soft fudge like vanilla, spices, incense and musk... There really was NOTHING better.

But that was before it got reformulated into real CRAP. Now it mainly smells like sweaty coriander, and the sillage and longevity is oh so bad.

Don`t buy any of todays bottles manufacture by Coty, keep to the vintage ones made by Calvin Klein and Unilever.

I HATE Coty. They destroyed the best perfume ever created.

Please let me know if there are any perfumes out there that are similar to the vintage Obsession. Must Cartier perhaps? Or is that one also reformulated garbage?

on 6/16/2011 7:50:00 PM

I've loved Obsession since it came out. I was in my early 20s and wore it back then. I've been married for 25 years and have worn loads of perfumes over the years, but this is the only one my husband loves and comments on.

on 5/7/2011 12:24:00 PM

These are some of the most entertaining comments I've read about a fragrance. IMO, people like to smell good, and Obsession is popular because it makes you smell good. I never owned it because I was just averse to all the hype back in the 80s-90s. However I do recall getting a whiff of it from a co-worker -- the sillage was beautiful, and caused me to soften my opinion of Obsession. Now that I'm a woman of a certain age, I'm more open to trying different perfumes. My beau smelled a sample card of Obsession that was sitting in a stack of mail, he loves it, and you only live once, so I'm getting some!

on 5/1/2011 11:32:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Ick! I think my grandma would even say this is too much of an old lady perfume! Waaaaaay too musky, heavy, and set off my allergies like crazy. It just plain stinks!!!

on 5/1/2011 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This scent is blah! Its strong, really spicy, very much an older womans scent. Its not something a man would compliment you on either lol. Its not appealing at all. :(

on 5/1/2011 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Gross! I am not a fan of this perfume. I got it for my birthday when I turned 12... yes.. 12! I think my friend's mom regifted it cause there is no way she would go out of her way to buy a 12 year old this crap. It's way too strong. I still had the full bottle up until a year ago when I finally threw it out and I'm 23. I can't believe how popular this perfume used to be! It's awful.

Popular Fragrances