August 21, 2014 | 1361 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2014 2:06:00 PM More reviews by prettyinpinknwhite

I've been using biotin off and on for years--a lot of horse people use it to strengthen their horses' hooves, so I figure if it's good enough for horses it's good enough for me too. I've been taking it because I want to grow my hair out and I haven't noticed much difference with that, but I do feel like it makes my nails grow really fast . . . which is a little unfortunate because I like short nails lol! I also feel like my nails are stronger than they used to be. I once read in Allure that biotin only works for hair growth if you have a deficiency, but apparently my dermatologist recommended it to my brother for hair growth (poor kid is balding at 20), so I guess your mileage may vary. I'll probably keep taking it because I haven't had any bad reactions, so the worst thing that could happen is nothing, and it isn't too much trouble to pop a pill once a day if it might be helpful.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2014 8:03:00 AM More reviews by Sp6

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Like everyone else I had heard how amazing this was supposed to be! For me personally this did not work, my nails were still brittle and my hair did not grow, alongside this I developed acne! I wouldn't recommend this, and I certainly won't buy again! Disappointed :(

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2014 12:10:00 PM More reviews by Arrosynn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

SO I had hear from so many people and websites and everything that Biotin is an excellent agent for helping your hair and nails grow. I never need help with my nails growing, they grow really fast, and really strong.. but my hair, literally doesn't grow at all. I've tried everything short of shaving my head and letting my hair grow back naturally.

Went out and got some Biotin, I can't even remember how much it was but it wasn't entirely cheap considering most vitamins aren't. So anyway, i've been taking two pills a day for literally three years... and there has never ever been a difference in my hair growth or quality. Such a rip off, I don't even know why I continued to use it for so long!

-Disappointed...

rated 2 of 5 on 2/17/2014 8:12:00 AM More reviews by LunaIsABear

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product seems to work for a lot of other people, and I think it depends entirely on how your body works, and how it reacts to certain chemicals. Mine didnt react too well, and after only 3 pills (one a day) i broke out in acne in really weird places, like my back and shoulders. Stopped taking these immediately, as I've never had acne and don't intend to start now!

I'd suggest trying them, because you never know, and just stop if *negative* symptoms occur :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 9:50:00 AM More reviews by StacyMom4Real

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

One thing you ladies (and perhaps gents) must rememeber is that when you take supplements of any kind you must drink plenty for water. This is especially true i the case of biotin because lack of adequate water consumption can lead to to break out of the face and even other parts of the body such neck and back.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2014 4:23:00 AM More reviews by Eve934

Biotin is excellent for hair

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2014 5:00:00 AM More reviews by caramelly87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I actually take Biotin to avoid candida (thrush) as I am very susceptible to it, and I have to say that if I run out and don't have one daily for a week or two I often develop a yeast infection. So I keep taking it!

As far as hair and nails go? I'm not so sure. My nails are still soft and flaky and I can never grow them beyond the end of my finger tips. Though I don't think I can blame biotin entirely, as when I'm nervous I do fiddle with my nails and cuticles. My hair is naturally very fine and I wouldn't say that it grows faster or slower than normal, or has gained thickness.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2014 10:42:00 AM More reviews by wixter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have had a problem with thin and peeling nails for years. A friend of mine recommended taking biotin, and after 2 months of taking a pill daily, my peeling nails were gone. My nails are much stronger after taking this. I continue to take it now. I notice a difference in my nails when I skip a dose or two. My nails used to break four or five times a week. Now I hardly break one a week. This stuff is great!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been taking the 5000 mcg caps and I've definitely noticed my hair growing quicker (still grows sloooowly but it's improved), and, mostly, my NAILS!! I'm growing out natural nails damaged by that gel stuff and they are halfway grown out already! What have you got to lose, try it! Oh ... Take with a multi vitamin for full absorption! I'm also taking omegas in the form of flaxseed capsules.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/24/2014 6:22:00 PM More reviews by nekkun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ah, biotin...supposedly a miracle for nails & hair. If only this were the magic pill that could solve all our problems! I've been taking this product for over two months now ( 1000mcg pill 2x a day) and have had zero results. My nails continue to peel off like stickers and my hair hasn't grown/thickened in any noticeable way. My hair grows super slowly, so trust me, had there been any difference I would've noticed. I don't know if it's been too short a period to notice any difference, but I thought for sure I'd see some change in my nails! I suppose I should be grateful that I didn't break out in cystic acne. Will not repurchase. Time to put in effort and eat more protein/moisturize my nails with vaseline...sigh...