December 20, 2014 | 1633 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2013 2:47:00 AM More reviews by wesaypower

I purchased the shade deep mahogany brown to liven up my fairly flat natural dark brown hair as well as cover my incredibly resilient grey. I found application fairly easy and not drippy at all, no more difficult than using the John Freida foam line. I left the colour in for about 45 minutes and found that it didn't stain my skin.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised and pleased with the end result. My hair has developed a rich red undertone and my grey has been 100% covered with little to no brassiness. Since I have just colored my hair I cannot really comment on the staying power/colour retention capacity.

However, the reason I give the product 3 lippies is twofold:

First, the godawful, eye watering, chemical stench is almost unbearable. I'm quite sure that if you have sensitive skin or breathing conditions like Asthma you should steer clear. The product caused a slight and rather worrisome burning sensation on my scalp. Thankfully, however, I haven't experienced any irritation. Additionally, I know everyone has been raving about the conditioner but I find it not nearly as nourishing as it should be. I've had to heavily layer my hair with Moroccon oil post-colouring due to my hair feeling straw like (my hair was pretty soft, shiney, and healthy pre-colouring).

Second, the price. I think it's a tad ridiculous to charge consumers almost $13 when you have alternative products that outperform in terms of colour pay off and do not induce a gag reflex.

All in all the product worked well enough. But, I wouldn't really purchase it again unless it was heavily discounted and my local drug store somehow ran out of other box dye options.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2013 12:17:00 AM More reviews by huggabledust

i used the natural black colour and the colour turned out wonderful - my part/scalp stayed a strange brown colour for a few days but it went away after two shampoos. I do not use the conditioners that come in box dyes - I use my everyday conditioners like Pureology, Moroccan Oil or AG. This is only because I heard somewhere that the conditioners that come with the dye make your hair fade faster so that you'll buy the product again? (I have no idea if this is actually true). i leave my hair unwashed for a 2-3 days after i dye it to retain as much of the colour as possible (and because the chemicals in the dye makes your hair sad, and i feel like the natural oils help with that.)
The only problem I have with it is is it really stains the skin - mine at least. I do the whole vaseline around my hair line and back of my neck thing to prevent major staining and this product still managed to leave black blotches on my shoulder and temples. I've heard that hand sanitizer removes dye stains instantly, but that didn't help at all. It's been 4 days and the stains are still there - thank goodness for makeup.
I would repurchase, but be VERY careful of the dripping next time.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by newchick

This is not a good product:

I purchased this because the colour on the box looked good and it called itself a "superior premium hair colour". Tried the colour Brasilia which was (on the box) a shiny, rich, dark brown. My end colour looked like a flat black.

-when first mixed, it looks like a gel, but when applied becomes very runny and drippy and messy. I was constantly mopping dark streams of drippy dye off my forehead.
-intensely strong chemical odour - gave me a headache that lasted 3 hours+
-stings your scalp
-on the plus side - the conditioner that came with it smells good
-not very good grey coverage - the colour washed off my greys in 3 shampoos.

L'oreal excellence is a much better product... the smell was a lot less intense and it didn't drip, and the greys stayed dyed.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2013 6:41:00 PM More reviews by teenadearr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I don't know... Maybe my feelings about this product will change later, but I just dyed my hair with UL51.

It promised "no brass" and "cooler."

I dyed my hair, came out of the shower, dried my hair, and look in the mirror. My hair came out REALLY orange. And the thing is the dye didn't even show up. It only became orange-y under the light.

I'm kinda disappointed. I wanted to avoid orange-y hair.

For reference, I am Asian, with bra-strap length hair, with natural jet black hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2013 11:33:00 PM More reviews by jumbojuice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for years and years. I usually stick to the dark browns. I have baby fine hair and it stays soft even though I color it about every 3-4 weeks (it grows really fast). I always get compliments on how shiny my hair is and I am pretty sure that this dye has something to do with that. The conditioner is awesome and almost makes my hair too soft to do anything with (so I cut it with different ones).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 3:05:00 AM More reviews by ChocolatexxCandy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this in the shade CB415, it's supposedly a chocolate-y brown. At first I thought that it won't make any difference to my hair since my hair is pretty much black and I wasn't about to bleach my hair and never will. It didn't change my hair drastically but yet the change is a very good change. In certain lighting it gives a reddish brown tint on my hair which I loved. It's been two months and I've still had people asking my if I had dyed my hair the night before which really caught my surprise. This one is the first time I've tried dying my hair at home and it left me with a pleasant experience. The dye itself smells really, really bad but the conditioner makes up for it. I will definitely repurchase (but I already have two more boxes of it at home... oh the wonders of Costco...) and maybe I'll try a different colour when I do buy more.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2013 8:49:00 PM More reviews by Xzarex

Where professional color failed L'Oreal succeeded. After bleaching my hair for the 3rd time my hair was still vibrant gold/orange. It was not attractive and it definitely did not match my new hair extensions. I tried using a professional toner and nothing worked, I used 3 different purple toners in my hair until I almost gave up so I looked at some of the reviews on the Lyon (light ash blonde) color I thought it was worth a try. And it works so well! I am always getting complemented on how perfect my hair looks now.
The only bad thing I had with this is that it turned the white parts of my hair a grey/blue color, but even those hues washed out with the first shampoo.
I definitely recommend this to anyone who is having difficulties going blonde (:

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by MakeupMary3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this boxed dye for almost a year now, in the shade Deepest Indigo and I have to say that I'm very pleased. For the first time that I dyed my hair I used the 100% hair color by Garnier, and it faded really quickly and after 2 weeks i already had really bad roots, so I switched to this and I've never looked back. It makes my hair really shiny, the color lasts a long time and I only need to dye my hair every 8 weeks, I could probably go for 10 or 12 but my OCD wouldn't let me. The smell is pretty bad, but umm its a hair dye not a perfume, what were you expecting? If you want a hair dye that doesn't smell too strong then try henna or something. Anyways, the conditioner that it comes with is really good it smells nice and leaves your hair feeling incredibly soft. They give you quite a bit of it, and if you use it weekly as the box instructs, it should just last you until your next coloring.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2012 6:35:00 PM More reviews by twisted_prncess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My hair is naturally fine, long, medium brown that tends to go dull in the summer months as previous colorings fade. I have been trying to stay a dark brown for a while, but found colorings keep fading or turning my roots a bit warm. I picked this color up in Dark Brown - Brasilia 3 - because it was one of the very few left in a store one night after deciding I needed to try a change to get rid of the hot roots and quick-fade colorings from other products.
It does have a watery consistency during application, but I was very careful. Okay....the bath mat is garbage...but I persevered through the application process fairly clean after I wiped up the mess. A little annoying, yes. The applicator bottle (and I'm not sure if this was just my "tip"...) had a VERY small hole for the color mixture to come out of, so application took a VERY long time to thoroughly saturate and I didn't even end up finishing the bottle because my arms hurt, but I don't see any other comments about that so I think I just got a strange bottle. I took packaging quality off for that. The gloves fit snug and comfortable.
It smells standard for hair color, maybe a bit on the strong side...but as long as I get great color I'm easy! The conditioner tube is generous and the conditioner is wonderful, and I loved the smell of it.
The color? GORGEOUS. Rich, deep, dark brown. My hair is shiny and soft but I cannot get over the depth of this dark brown. It has pulled red SLIGHTLY, but that is typical for my hair (and the previous dyes still in it). The color is great, my hair feels wonderful and the color is very true to the box. Hopefully it doesn't fade too fast, but I am VERY happy with my results. Yay!
UPDATE - I have since gone back to this line and just used #5 shade - Milan - to darken some highlights from the summer. I am again extremely happy with the colour... rich, deep, shiny medium brown that is true to the box. This line is the BEST. My hair smells, feels and looks like a million bucks.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2012 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Sassy_Pants77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

When I'm in between salon visits, I always go for this product. It's comparatively gentle on the hair, doesn't smell too strongly of ammonia, and it actually left my hair looking shinier and healthier than it did before I dyed it, which is almost unheard of. The colour is as nice as a box dye can be, and covers greys great (yes I'm 24, it sucks). Plus the conditioner that comes with it is AMAZING. Seriously, I wish they sold it separately.