February 28, 2015 | 1956 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Diamond Strength Diamond Shine Top and Base Coat

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 5:22:00 PM More reviews by morningviewangel99

I think this product is a good but not miraculous base and top coat. It helps polishes last for an average of 2 days without chipping, and it makes your nails look smooth and shiny, but not overly so. It is moderately priced for a ds polish, although I was especially motivated to buy it at a 75% off sale. I would buy again and recommend until I find something better.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by sherpa

I bought this eight or so months ago and really liked it as a top coat when I started using it. I'm not too picky when it comes to top coats and this did the job for me - it gives decent shine and made my nails last at least 4 days. However, I pulled this out the other day after not using it for a while and it bubbled terribly. I also don't like the packaging, you can't see how much is left. I can't comment on how it works as a base coat because I never used it as one.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/15/2012 11:27:00 PM More reviews by songforafriend

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This stuff claims to be both a base coat and a top coat but what it really is is a complete fraud. It does not work as a base coat. My nails were left in the same deplorable condition as without a base coat. I'd have split and peeling nails up the wazoo. As a top coat, it bubbles like crazy. Granted, it does prolong the life of your manicure like any top coat should, but with the amount of unsightly bubbling that appears that's not necessarily a good thing. Stay away from this product or you will suffer gravely!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2011 11:18:00 PM More reviews by jcki

BUBBLES! >:(

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2011 2:14:00 PM More reviews by shaneksgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is actually one of the worst products I've ever tried - its thick (I needed to thin it out after the 3rd use) and it bubbles insanely. My nails look hideous with it. And it keeps forming bubbles for a long time, like I'll go to sleep with smooth nails and wake up with bubbly nails. I'd rather use no topcoat than use this junk. NEVER buying it again!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2011 8:54:00 AM More reviews by raggie92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, to be honest, I never tried many top coats and I was looking for one that multitasks as a base coat as well. This is a terrible product. Maybe you get really good smooth finishes at your first go at this product, but then it starts to bubble at the next few tries.

It's really REALLY THICK, and hard to spread out. It makes my nails look awful. Don't even bother trying this product. I'm totally regretting why didn't I read reviews first for this. I can totally understand the negative reviews here.

Definitely a no on repurchase of this product, I would rather spend a little bit more on O.P.I

rated 1 of 5 on 9/19/2011 11:00:00 PM More reviews by catn2kittens

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

BUBBLES. Millions and millions of horrible bubbles. My nails look like coldsores, or like they are covered in dozens of tiny warts. I used this once as a top coat and blamed the nail polish for the bubbles. This time I used it on all but 2 fingers, those fingers are fine, the rest are disgusting.

Maybe for Halloween I will do an olive-green polish and use this for a top coat, I can have "toad nails".

rated 2 of 5 on 8/6/2011 11:24:00 PM More reviews by msmanetti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't find this polish to work exceptionally or even very well. My nail polish lasted 2 days without any chips/dents (2 coats of normal nail polish last that long for me). AND....it didn't have 'diamond' shine like the bottle/box indicates, I would have expected it to dazzle like it says. It is just an average shine?? AND....what flimsy packaging, looks and feels cheaply made, the brush handle hardly closes properly, AND....it was soooo hard to get off with nail polish remover, arrhh! A week later I am still trying to remove it....I refuse to use it again as I don't want to spend the next week or more after an event to try and get it off...

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2011 5:00:00 PM More reviews by cosmopolitan3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love multipurpose products, and usually also Sally Hansen. Since I needed a new base coat, I decided to give this a try. I truly loved the fact, that it dries within seconds.
So here we go, I used it for like two to three month as a base coat only. After a while I realized my nails started to get brittle, thin, started to peel and turned yellow. Ughh, they looked soo ugly, like if I was sick.
I was not even able to go without polish anymore.
Now I stopped using it, and bought a bottle of Seche Vites Rebuild as well as a bottle of essence pro white effect ... hoping that my nails will look healthy again soon!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2011 2:29:00 AM More reviews by lindsfinan

Being an avid Seche vite user, I was getting frustrated as my HG top coat was getting thick and goopy as I ran out, so I picked this Sally Hansen one up at Target for 4 bucks. I wanted to try the MegaShine but didn't see it - this packaging caught my eye (damn marketing!) and I need a basecoat anyway, so in the basket it went. After trying it out, I did not enjoy the thin brush much at all, but felt the base coat aspect worked ok...what much is there to say about base coat really? However, top coat wise - this product sucked. After a half hour, I got a few dents, and it all went streaky as well. It's disappointing because a) I wanted to give up Seche Vite due to the price and harmful ingredients b) I loved the shine SH gave c) it applied pretty well. Oh well...I will continue to use it as my base as to not waste a product, but I expected better from SH - I love and own lots of the brand's polishes.