July 28, 2014 | 2050 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Diamond Strength Diamond Shine Top and Base Coat

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2011 11:18:00 PM More reviews by jcki

BUBBLES! >:(

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2011 2:14:00 PM More reviews by shaneksgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is actually one of the worst products I've ever tried - its thick (I needed to thin it out after the 3rd use) and it bubbles insanely. My nails look hideous with it. And it keeps forming bubbles for a long time, like I'll go to sleep with smooth nails and wake up with bubbly nails. I'd rather use no topcoat than use this junk. NEVER buying it again!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2011 8:54:00 AM More reviews by raggie92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, to be honest, I never tried many top coats and I was looking for one that multitasks as a base coat as well. This is a terrible product. Maybe you get really good smooth finishes at your first go at this product, but then it starts to bubble at the next few tries.

It's really REALLY THICK, and hard to spread out. It makes my nails look awful. Don't even bother trying this product. I'm totally regretting why didn't I read reviews first for this. I can totally understand the negative reviews here.

Definitely a no on repurchase of this product, I would rather spend a little bit more on O.P.I

rated 1 of 5 on 9/19/2011 11:00:00 PM More reviews by catn2kittens

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

BUBBLES. Millions and millions of horrible bubbles. My nails look like coldsores, or like they are covered in dozens of tiny warts. I used this once as a top coat and blamed the nail polish for the bubbles. This time I used it on all but 2 fingers, those fingers are fine, the rest are disgusting.

Maybe for Halloween I will do an olive-green polish and use this for a top coat, I can have "toad nails".

rated 2 of 5 on 8/6/2011 11:24:00 PM More reviews by msmanetti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't find this polish to work exceptionally or even very well. My nail polish lasted 2 days without any chips/dents (2 coats of normal nail polish last that long for me). AND....it didn't have 'diamond' shine like the bottle/box indicates, I would have expected it to dazzle like it says. It is just an average shine?? AND....what flimsy packaging, looks and feels cheaply made, the brush handle hardly closes properly, AND....it was soooo hard to get off with nail polish remover, arrhh! A week later I am still trying to remove it....I refuse to use it again as I don't want to spend the next week or more after an event to try and get it off...

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2011 5:00:00 PM More reviews by cosmopolitan3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love multipurpose products, and usually also Sally Hansen. Since I needed a new base coat, I decided to give this a try. I truly loved the fact, that it dries within seconds.
So here we go, I used it for like two to three month as a base coat only. After a while I realized my nails started to get brittle, thin, started to peel and turned yellow. Ughh, they looked soo ugly, like if I was sick.
I was not even able to go without polish anymore.
Now I stopped using it, and bought a bottle of Seche Vites Rebuild as well as a bottle of essence pro white effect ... hoping that my nails will look healthy again soon!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2011 2:29:00 AM More reviews by lindsfinan

Being an avid Seche vite user, I was getting frustrated as my HG top coat was getting thick and goopy as I ran out, so I picked this Sally Hansen one up at Target for 4 bucks. I wanted to try the MegaShine but didn't see it - this packaging caught my eye (damn marketing!) and I need a basecoat anyway, so in the basket it went. After trying it out, I did not enjoy the thin brush much at all, but felt the base coat aspect worked ok...what much is there to say about base coat really? However, top coat wise - this product sucked. After a half hour, I got a few dents, and it all went streaky as well. It's disappointing because a) I wanted to give up Seche Vite due to the price and harmful ingredients b) I loved the shine SH gave c) it applied pretty well. Oh well...I will continue to use it as my base as to not waste a product, but I expected better from SH - I love and own lots of the brand's polishes.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2011 5:25:00 AM More reviews by JeffysMom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Boy did I get fooled! My Out the Door started getting too thick (nail polish remover added to the bottle later fixed it good as new) and I didn't want to drive across town to Sallys right then, so I decided to buy a topcoat at Walgreens. I love multi-use products, so I got all excited over this product. As a basecoat it was awesome! And it was a nice, thin shiny topcoat. Wasn't doing anything with my hands, so I didn't notice that it wasn't drying. Bought a second bottle because it was so awesome, and Sally Hansen products seem to discontinue themselves right after I decide I like them..

No chips! Top coat lost its shine quickly, but I've never had a basecoat that was so great. It really held polishes on that I knew were usually short-lived. Noticed that nails were still wet 2 hours after application, and then putting it on in the evening a couple of hours before bedtime meant that I'd have sheet impressions in the morning despite them feeling dry to the touch. Then I got into an anxiety-producing situation and started picking at the polish, which is usually better than biting or tearing them off. Yes, I'm a recovering nail-biter. Didn't think peeling it was a big deal - that is almost always the final stage of the manicure. Then I give myself another manicure. When I picked and peeled the polish, the top layer of my nails came with it. Wow! That basecoat is really tenacious. Buffed my nails smooth, used this stuff for the base and top coats. Same thing happened. But after the 4th iteration of this, my nails were extremely thin and fragile. Now must try damage control. Tried glue-on nails, but they didn't want to stick to what I had left of my nails. Had get acrylics put on professionally - they didn't stick to the damaged nails either. Professionally applied shellac manicures lasted only half of the salon's guarenteed 2 weeks because my nails were so flexible. So now it's 3 months later and I'm still trying to hid the damage while my nails grow out. Evil! Evil! I say. I can't believe I actually bought 2 bottles of this stuff. Now I have an extra bottle of Out the Door squirreled away so that I never get suckered like that again.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2011 1:29:00 PM More reviews by shanny1209

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I HATE this product. Not only does it take a REALLY long time to dry, but it bubbles up so badly on my nails. I do NOT like this at all! Total waste of $8. More expensive than Seche Vite, and not NEARLY as good.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2011 6:08:00 PM More reviews by bhindhazeleyez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this w/o reading reviews unfortunately :( I was searching for the SH Mega Shine topcoat, but was unable to find it at the store I was in, so I made a spur of the moment decision to try this instead. I figured, hey two in one is a better deal anyway. I quickly figured out that this product is AWFUL as a topcoat. Like other users, no matter what polish I use, whenever I apply this on top I end up w/ lots of tiny little bubbles EVERYWHERE!!! I was upset about this, but I do think it works well as a base for polish, and I don't end up w/ any bubbles as long as I use something else as a topcoat. But this defeats the purpose of this being a 2 in 1 product! I won't buy this again :(