Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 3/20/2014 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

With regards to oil control, this is hands down the best primer I have ever used.

PROS:
- Water-based and does not break me out.
- Hygienic packaging; the squeeze tube lasts forever, it takes such a small amount.
- It has a more gel-like consistency than the original clear Photo Finish, so it glides on and dries smooth without feeling greasy or silicone-y (nor is it sticky like many oil control primers can be).
- Mattifies the skin and I do notice that my makeup goes a little longer without getting shiny versus when I don't wear it.
- Is not overly-drying - I can still wear it now that my skin is more on the dry side without issue.
- Versatile; easily goes under just about any foundation/BB cream I've ever paired it with.

CONS:
- Pricey
- Does not smooth over pores as well as other primers have used.

on 3/19/2014 8:01:00 AM

Life saver for oily and acne prone skin. This light primer doesn't feel oily on my skin (as compared to the regular Smashbox photo finish). I've had the 1oz tube for over 6 months now and still have over a quarter left with daily use. For that reason the value of this product is amazing despite the price. I've noticed a huge difference in the oiliness of my skin throughout the day, it's a lot less than when I don't use this primer. Also pores are minimized and makeup glides on a lot smoother. I also have acne prone skin and haven't had any breakouts related to using this product. Absolutely love it.

on 3/14/2014 2:43:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Not as good as the regular Photo Finish, because the consistency is thin and I find myself having to use more product to achieve a similar effect, which is wasteful. Also, due to the thin consistency, it doesn't do as good of a job at filling in the pores, fine lines, and blemishes.

I have not experienced any difference in terms of acne while using Photo Finish LIGHT vs. regular Photo Finish.

on 3/3/2014 2:11:00 PM

The original of this primer smothered my skin, so I was reluctant to try this light version, but it lives up to its claims of being for sensitive/acne-prone skin types. With sparing use, it doesn't aggravate my skin and lasts a long time. I won't say that it doesn't clog my skin because, hello, primer is like spackle for the skin and is likely to irritate it, despite best efforts of thorough cleansing. Hence why I use this primer on an intermittent basis; daily use would be problematic for my skin. Given that a full 30 ml is too much for me to use within a year's time, I now opt for the travel size, which has the added (obvious) bonus of being highly portable!

on 2/20/2014 7:06:00 PM

This primer works pretty decent but it broke me out every single time. Luckily, I only bought the trial size at $15 so it's not too much of a waste and I would likely still wear it for a special event, but for daily use it's a no-go for me due to the break outs. It's a shame because it really does help my makeup last longer and gives me a smoother base.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

A fundation primer I think everyone has purchase at least once...a goodie true to its reputation, nver has failed me and gives me flawless foundation application.

on 2/8/2014 2:14:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I've been using this primer for.... I think almost a year now, if not longer! I really do like it, but I don't think it does what it promises. This is supposed to be a good primer for those with oily skin, but for me, it does nothing for my oily skin. My skin still gets quite shiny after a couple of hours. The reason why I give it four lippies, is because it's a REALLY good base for your foundation and concealer. Everything glides on smoothly, no matter how dry the foundation or concealer are - this primer makes everything possible to work with. My skin gets suuuuper smooth when using this primer. Other than that, I won't say that this is the perfect primer for those with oily skin... But it's good as a base. I'm not sure if I will repurchase it, I'm about to run out of it, so time will show. Good primer - but not the best.

on 2/5/2014 9:27:00 AM

I have combination skin, oily in the T - zone, and I absolutely LOVE this primer! It gives my skin a nice matte base to build foundation on top of. I got a steal of a deal on this at my local Winners store (TJ Maxx in the US) I payed just $15.99 for a one ounce bottle!!! For those who don't know, check the beauty department there. Amazing deals on Smashbox, Stila, Shiseido and so much more!

on 2/4/2014 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this primer for over 3 months. I have tried several primers and this one is by far the best I have tried! I try to buy products that aren't extremely toxic, this one comes in at a 2 on EWGs skin deep database- a non profit company that rates personal care products on a scale of 0 (best or least toxic) to 10 (worst or most toxic). I was pleased with that score so I gave it a try. It is pricey for a primer, however, I did not let that affect my rating for it because I love that it comes in smaller sizes for cheaper to fit your budget! I don't wear makeup everyday, so the $10 size lasts me a good bit of time! I love that it is a cream based primer, couldn't stand the silicon based ones at all! Yuck! My foundation looks better and lasts longer with this product! Works perfectly with my oily problematic skin, doesn't break me out at all! It's a beauty must for me!

on 1/13/2014 2:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I got this as a 100 point beauty insider gift from Sephora. I didn't like this primer. It is oil-free, but it's also silicone based, and it made me break out. Also, it didn't help my makeup stay on any longer, or fill in lines and pores. I gave the rest to my mom, and she said it didn't make a difference either. I won't repurchase. I love my HG oil-free, water based primer from Laura Mercier.