Neutrogena T/Gel

3.8

Active Ingredient: Coal Tar 0.5% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Laureth-4, Fragrance, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin

on 6/13/2009 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

For a commercial product this was pretty good. The only OTC product (coal tar) that gave some relief for my seborrheic dermatitis. If I had to use it again I would. But I've since started making my own shampoo which is working better for me (see my notepad). Do I recommend this, yes if you wanted to buy a shampoo.

on 4/6/2009 1:52:00 PM

SO has suffered from dandruff this winter season. We bought this shampoo and his flakes are gone! He uses it just as the directions say. 2x a week and after a week or two of using it, his hair has drastically improved. It smells a bit odd after you take a shower, but as long as you use conditioner, your hair doesn't have that smell afterwards. Also, I've noticed that his hair is much softer! Score!

on 3/2/2009 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

When I turned about 20 years old I started getting dry, flaky, itchy patches on my scalp and tried switching shampoos, various things, until I tried this. This completely took care of my scalp problems. If I start to use another shampoo, in about a week my scalp acts up again. So, I use this along with another shampoo that is very rich. I find shampoos for curly hair are the best, because what fights frizz? moisturizing! so Tgel+a curly hair shampoo works wonders for me. I follow it up with any good conditoner, one that works especially well for me is Aveda Scalp Benefits or aveda color conserve to be the best with my scalp. Plus I really love the smell of Neutrogenas products, so i don't mind using this every day. I wish I got more out of the bottle so I usually buy the off brand, which works the same. I absolutely could not live without this tgel shampoo.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This did not get rid of my dandruff at all. not worth it.

on 4/18/2008 1:10:00 PM

I have tried this a long time ago and it didn't do anything for my dandruff but I'm not sure if I should blame the shampoo. I have recently found out that I'm sensitive to sulfates and any shampoo, including this one, which has sulfates will dry my scalp out. I use to have very dry scalp which always felt one size too small right after I shampooed , regardless of what shampoo I used. I would also start off with very large flakes and then a day or two later if I haven't shampooed again my scalp would become very oily with dead skin buildup. Gross!

Now my scalp feels great but not because of this.

If this product didn't work for you consider purchasing a shampoo that doesn't contain sulfates.

on 4/18/2008 9:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

If you have dandruff as a result of dermotoses (should be differentiated from dermatitis) of the scalp, consistent use of this coal tar based product should produce results where the skin condition improves. If you have dandruff as a result of a fungal problem, it would be advisable that you use a product containing pyrithione zinc (i.e. Head & Shoulders) or Nizroal as the active ingredients in these products target the fungal cause of dandruff.

T/Gel, in a nutshell is somewhat drying. In comparison to other tar based shampoos, T/Gel isn't the worst. I would recommend that T/Gel conditioner be used after the shampoo as it is designed to work in unison together. The conditioner is perfumed and isn't overly rich like your conventional conditioner. The problem that I had with it was that it melted far too quickly and had to use a handful of it to cover my hair - note that I'm a male and do not have long hair.

on 8/7/2007 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I find myself purchasing this product when my scalp gets super crazy itchy and flaky. It feels great on my angry scalp and leaves my hair reasonably manageable. I wouldn't use it more than 2x per week and I'd be nervous about using it if my hair were colored and/or lighter than tar. The fragrance also takes some getting used to - it screams "treatment shampoo." Still, I haven't found another dandruff shampoo that I like as much.

on 1/24/2007 4:08:00 PM

I've used this for years, and I think it's an effective product. I use this twice a week and then interchange it with Nizoral twice a week. This combo has worked like a charm for me, and I don't get the overdrying I used to get when I only used the T-Gel 4x a week. T-Gel is definitely drying. Best thing to do with this product is to lather it up on the scalp with plenty of water and let it sit for several minutes. Whatever you do, don't get this stuff in your eyes!

on 1/18/2007 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Well it's a darn good thing this product cures my dry scalp that occurs in winter, because it smells (and looks) like flea dip. I lather some into my scalp really really well and let it sit for a little while. Then I rinse thoroughly and condition only the ends of my hair to prevent them from getting dried out. That system seems to work nicely and the smell of the shampoo doesn't linger on my hair *thank god*. EDIT: My dry scalp got worse over this past summer and t-gel if anything made it worse. I don't know why it stopped working since it used to work so well. The good news is garnier's anti-dandruff shampoo does work...and smells a whole lot better. continued >>

on 12/31/2006 7:06:00 PM

This is a good product with a good concept. If your scalp problems are mild, this will do the trick, otherwise you will have to step up in strength to the Nizoral which is IMO a heavy duty product.