April 19, 2014 | 1888 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Farouk CHI - Chi Ceramic Flat Iron by Farouk

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2012 9:40:00 AM More reviews by MsScarlet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

*this is a review for the original 1" Farouk CHI ceramic flat iron only*

I used a CHI for the first time 5 years ago after asking a friend how her hair was always so shiny and smooth every day. She let me borrow her iron for a few days and by the end of my "trial" I didn't want to give it back! My hair is very thick, wavy, a bit coarse in the back and extremely prone to frizz. This iron changed all that. It made my hair smooth, shiny, manageable, and nearly frizz-proof. As soon as I could afford it (Chi irons were about 3-4x the price then that they are now-I think they retail for roughly $50 now) I bought one for myself. Thus a long love affair began.

My first iron lasted about a year and would have lasted longer but I ended up killing it overseas using the wrong voltage. I broke down in tears when that happened-that's how good this iron is. I tried a few knockoff versions but they never worked as well so I bought a second one. My second Chi iron has lasted since 2009 and seems to not be petering out anytime soon.

I use my CHI several times a week (usually on work days) and let my hair "rest" in between but I have used it daily in the past. While the glossy, mangeable hair I get from the CHI is addictive, too much heat styling can ravage your hair. It is super important to use heat protectant products to shield the hair from damage, and to never EVER use an iron on wet or damp hair. When I do use it, there is nothing easier and faster to get my hair looking tamed and professional. I only use it from midshaft to ends, flipping it a bit toward the end of my hair to get a curled end. My hair glides through the iron with ease and the heat is just enough to smooth my hair without frying it.

Finally, a few cons toward the CHI: there is no temperature adjustment or varied heat settings, so girls with finer hair should use extreme caution. The iron gets very hot and it's infrared indicator light is inconveniently located on the inside of the iron; you'd have to look down a bit to see it and it's not very noticeable anyway. I knocked a lip off of my review for that reason; even though I am used to it and I love the iron, a newbie could accudentally burn themselves because the indicator is hard to see.
Like all hair irons, the CHI takes some practice to maneuver to avoid burning your neck/fingers. Also like most hair irons it can leave creases in your hair if you use too much pressure clamping down, giving you a "pancaked" effect. The iron dramatically reduces volume and will leave your hair pretty flat, which isn't a problem for me because I have a lot if natural volume in my hair.

Despite my qualms about the indicator light and safety, this is an exceptional product. I'm sure there are better/more high tech/$$$$ier irons out there but this one works great for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2012 12:25:00 PM More reviews by Rouge7Femi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Cue the church choir! This straightener is AMAZING! When you run it over your hair i swear it flows like water, and you dont have to go over the same piece over and over again to get a result. For the price it really is worth it, it's long lasting, works like magic and is so slim and cute you can find space for it anywhere! I highly recommend investing in this little slice of hair styling heaven :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2012 11:23:00 PM More reviews by CaitlinsCreativeCorner

I love my chi. It is the only straightener I use, ever since my friend curled my hair with her straightener. Since then I have turned my mom onto Chi as well. I love it, it straightens my hair quite amazingly, especially because I have very long wavy hair. It also curls my hair very well!

I saw one in TJ Maxx that was Holographic! I wanted it so bad, but my chi is still in commission, so I don't need to buy another one. lol.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2012 2:13:00 AM More reviews by gurlypowa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

im on my second chi straightening iron right now. (i dont remember what happend to the first one, was it lost or broke?). this is the only high end straightner ive ever used, but let me tell you, it is WAAAAY better than any of the cheaper brands you buy at the drug store. it heats up almost instantly, and transforms my crinkly, frizzy hair into the smooth shiny hair i've always wanted. when i first started using it, i got compliments from nearly everyone i knew. some said i looked like i just stepped out of a salon!!

it's so easy to use, and the results are quick, you wont find yourself redoing each chunk of hair 982357 times to achieve the desired look, since it heats up so much hotter than the cheap irons. i also found it very easy to do ringlets, tho i usually just run it down in a slight curve, and hook it at the end (this adds more volume than just doing it poker straight). it does a great job, so i may repurchase, tho im also consider trying one of the other expensive brands. GHD maybe?

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2012 12:47:00 AM More reviews by 8ubble6umpink

Heats fast, does a good job at straightening, I just wish it could come on a 2 inch barrel that would make my straightening faster. I think it's too pricey for what it is.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2012 1:34:00 PM More reviews by xChii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've had this for about 4 years now and it's still working perfectly fine!
I don't straighten my hair as often now unless it's a bad hair day, but i admit, this straightener can get really hot. I used it everyday back when i was in high school, and i never notice how damaged my hair is till now. If it breaks i probably would buy an inexpensive alternative one.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by sabrinalovesmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I went to cosmetology school thinking that nothing was better than chi but I was wrong, I love my chi the only thing I dont like is it doesn't have a temperature settings so it can burn out real fast and you will have to get another one! Ive had one for over 8 years and it works perfect brand new same as when I bought it and I've moved several times with it so yeah... Million wonders how it didn't end up broke!!! I would tell anyone to try this out because it truly is an amazing product

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2012 10:25:00 PM More reviews by iloveyourstory

I finally ditched this for the GHD. I used my CHI for 7 years and was just tired of the snagging and lifeless hair I got from it. Plus my hair would break more easily. I honestly can't stand the entire CHI line, very overrated.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 6:59:00 AM More reviews by kapapathanasiou2002

This is classic.Although it's been a while since i've used it,i am grateful that purchased it!It leaves my hair straight,smoooth and it looks as if i've had my hair done by a profesional. It is pricy ,but you save so much money by not having to go to the hairdresser.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2012 11:32:00 AM More reviews by daisylonglegs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Bought these from the US...had high hopes as they have heat control but the lower heat did nothing for my hair...they do a nice fringe but on my long hair, they just do not have the right kind of shape and using high heat is as bad as my GHD's so another waste of money...