September 1, 2014 | 1086 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Volume Shocking Waterproof

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2009 6:25:00 AM More reviews by luvhunni

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

STAY AWAY FROM THIS MASCARA!

Okay so usually whenever I review a product on Makeup Alley, I do it to rave about a product and to let everyone know how good it is. I normally review things I really love.

This is the first time I'm reviewing something I really dislike. If this actually worked for you, I envy you and I'm curious as to how that's even remotely possible. I have a TON of negative things to say about this product. First of all, I paid $15 bucks for this at CVS, when it was $11 at Walmart. (By the way, I think it's ridiculous when a drugstore product is as or more expensive than a high-end one. MAC mascara is only $12.) So the expensive price alone irks me.

The mascara is bulky and is so hard to fit in a clutch or tiny purse. That's another negative for me. Next, the white part doesn't do anything for me but make my lashes white! Even when I put the darker mascara over it, I have to stroke it a few times to cover the white flaky parts.

Now, this is the odd part. If you skip the white mascara, and you use the darker mascara and sweep it through your lashes once, it looks volumizing, lengthening, and seems pretty decent. But it didn't volumize my lashes enough, so that's when I need to sweep it through a second time and that's when it clumps together, and begins to look odd, like tarantula-eyes or something. It's ugly and nasty looking. It's very embarrassing to walk out like that.

Okay so I haven't even begun to explain the worst part of this mascara. It takes SO MUCH EFFORT to take off! I can't believe how hard it is. I have to use my oily makeup remover 4-5 times. And even then, I can still feel a hardness to my lashes. I have to kind of pull off the excess junk, which is very uncomfortable and horrible treatment to my lashes. I would never buy this again and never use it again.

It takes a lot for me to dislike a product this much. I actually lost it and I was so happy because it was a reason to buy a different mascara!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2009 12:15:00 PM More reviews by iheartMUA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

To start off with, I have to say I bought this product in Waterproof...and I know that tends to wear a little different than the regular, but I hated it. It went on clumpy and I couldn't even get the comb through it. Although I'm still not sure what purpose the comb serves. Kinda odd. I love most L'Oreal products, but won't buy this particular one again.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/12/2009 12:43:00 PM More reviews by flyingpenguin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Skip this and go for one of Maybelline's double-ended XXL mascaras instead. Compared to Maybelline, it's a huge letdown. The blue lengthening side doesn't extend your lashes much (not as much as I'm used to with Maybelline) and smells weird and plastic'y. You don't want to bring that stuff near your face. The mascara is thick despite the rubber comb brush. I didn't like how despite my lashes being clump-free with the comb brush, they were stuck together into a few thick lashes because of the mascara formula. Don't bother with this well-intentioned but sucky product. I gave it 2 Lipsticks because you can at least get some sort of a nice look from it if absolutely desperate, but you can get something much much MUCH better out there for the same price.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2009 12:59:00 AM More reviews by chococakehk

Lucky I got this in a sale, I hated the package the bulky tube!

It gives me panda eyes under 4 hours, I can remove it using shu cleansing oil

will not buy anymore L'oreal mascara!!!!

update: I gave this item another chance and used with clarins top coat! BLAH, I looked like I have black paint smeared on my lids after few hours, bad PRODUCT!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2008 12:50:00 PM More reviews by KellyBellyz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love and hate this mascara. I love it because this is the only mascara that holds, lengthen and seperate my lashes all at once. It does give a false eyelash effect and compliments. It does take a little time to get used to the whole prime then coat application but nothing too hard to get used to, just a little time consuming. Oh and it is a good waterproof mascara. But that is another reason to why i love and hate because as others below mentioned; it is impossible to get it off! Like you really have to have the patience to remove this mascara, otherwise it's stuck on till next day. I lost lashes trying to remove this. However I go back to it every once in awhile since I can't find any other mascara that can do what this one can :p

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2008 10:25:00 AM More reviews by bellebeauty

The loreal volume shocking mascara, is better than most MAC mascaras in my opinion. Hand on heart! You can grab this product at drug stores for around 9pounds in the uk. and for about $15 in the US. It comes with both comb and brush applicators, and in waterproof and normal types. It's dual ended, the grey side lifts and volumises lashes, and the black side seperates defines and coats each individual lash in a rich black colour. The only downside to this product, especially if you are using the waterproof mascara, is that it is very difficult to get off! But I say deffinatley worth it to get a gorgeous faulse lash effect. If you're after a natural looking mascarra then i dont suggest you use this, but the define a lash mascarra from maybeline. :).

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2008 3:51:00 PM More reviews by colourgirl333

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This mascara gives my lashes an incredible look!
Although it does take some time to work the mascara, the results are amazing,
Length and volume
(but i have to seperate the lashes myself with a pin)
It holds all day long! im not exaggerating!
Which also happens to be a bad thing when you want to take it off, because it feels like you're trying to take off cement.
You end up losing lots of lashes from the tugging and wiping and after all your efforts, it still wont come off.
Amazing results -time consuming application, and frustrating removal
=
not buying this again

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2008 3:35:00 AM More reviews by ocarina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Dear God, this stuff does not come off AT ALL. It takes more effort and eye trauma than I am willing to invest in a mascara (nearly 10 minutes of chipping and wiping). I'm not opposed to the look this gives, and like the regular VS it works fabulously with a little practice. However, the difficult removal negates the positives. If you want drag-queen-dramatic lashes that stay on for days, then this might be your product. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2008 8:44:00 PM More reviews by eritreanempress

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this because I loved the regular version.Let me tell you how waterproof is the operative word in this mascara's description. You cannot remove this mascara from your eyes. I went to Miami a month ago and the only good thing about this mascara is that after a day of swimming at the beach, it never budged from my lashes. When I tried to remove it to no avail that night, I was beyond irritated. After trying for ten minutes with soap and makeup remover, I called it quits. I tried to remove the remainder of what was left of my lashes the next morning. This is a horrible nightmare of a mascara for contact lens wearers.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/8/2008 5:22:00 PM More reviews by guavapineapple

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading all the reviews on this mascara I've come to the conclusion that there may actually be some people it works for.
NOT me. I have long, curved, full eyelashes. this mascara makes my lashes clumped and messy and dirty looking.

I think this may work for someone who has thin lashes, or just not as many as i do because its a product that will add a lot of thickness.