December 19, 2014 | 1556 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Roxy2323

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I used this yesterday and it actually seems to have made my hair worse =( Before anyone say's "oh, she must not have done it right..." TRUST ME I did. I'm a former cosmetology student, so I know what I am doing.

I washed my hair, (it wasn't dripping wet, but damp like the package said) I put it through my hair and used a wide tooth comb to help evenly distribute it. Then, I waited. I had my bf blow dry my hair for me (that was kind of funny actually) because I was kind of too afraid to move (I didn't want my hair to break off lol) After he blow dried it and it was hard as a rock, I went in the shower (luke warm water) and I just "let it" come out on its own as I stood under the water. After that I applied the moisturizing conditioner that your supposed to, and I waited about 3-4 min, then rinsed. I knew from previous reviews that I should follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioning treatment/hair mask and that's what I did.I let that sit on for an additional 5-6 min. After rinsing that out, I let it air dry (applied the very tiniest bit of virgin coconut oil to my hair) and I have to say, I'm not impressed =(

It's disappointing really. I have more breakage after and the weirdest thing is, that my ends (which were always the super damaged part of my hair) are nice and very soft...BUT from my roots to mid hair, it feels alot rougher( not in a good or healthy way) and there is breakage that I've never noticed before, including and especially at my roots =( Little tiny breaking hairs ALL OVER the top of my head (looks like I have some major frizzy fly-always) which I've NEVER had before. I just don't understand what went wrong. I had such high hopes, and now my hair is even more damaged then it was before (which was plenty.)

P.S I can understand how people would assume it was because of a moisture deficiency instead of protein that caused all this damage...HOWEVER I was told by the lady at Sally's and my friend who is a Hairdresser (who personally had recommended this product) that it was a protein deficiency (which at the time made sense,since I have become a vegetarian.)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by ajewelofgod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my current treatments when I'm at the salon. I don't use it for every wash. But this does what I need it to do for my hair and that's to strengthen and protect it from damaging. I love it. I've been using it off and on for a few years. I also use the Aphogee Keratin treatment leave in spray. I highly recommend. It's worth the price though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 9:03:00 PM More reviews by TheMickster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I just finished using this product. I had previously used it on clients in the salon, but never gave it a try personally. I'm so glad I tried it! My hair is platinum blonde, fine and prone to breakage. I have been doing the blonde for quite some time and I felt my hair needed a little love. I had a bit of breakage going on in the back and I really didn't want to cut it. So I picked this up from my local beauty supply. Works wonders! My hair is soft, smooth, manageable and healthy again. As a stylist, I know how important it is to use products AS DIRECTED. I read quite a bit of reviews on here before I posted my own and noticed a lot of people did not use this as directed. And it didn't work-what do you expect? If you aren't going to use it as directed, don't use it at all. It is after all, for PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY. But if you dutifully follow the instructions, you should be okay. This product can be a little messy, but not if you have someone to help you, or if you don't, just use this technique: in small amounts, drip the product onto the very top of your head, using a wide tooth comb, pull it through . It's as simple as that. Do not comb or agitate the hair once this product is in, you will be sorry if you do. You could literally lose all your hair. Use a hand dryer with ample heat and apply the heat to the hair. Slow motions! Again, try not to move or agitate the hair too much. Blow dry until your hair feels hard to the touch. DO NOT USE A CAP, DO NOT LEAVE IN FOR A LONG TIME/OVERNIGHT/etc. the product is not meant for this. It opens your hair cuticle to allow the keratin and protein to enter the hair shaft. Once your hair is hard, rinse well-do not agitate hair while rinsing. Once the treatment is rinsed, blot hair with a towel and follow up with the balancing moisturizer. This is a very important step and it cannot be skipped. Do not mix this conditioner with anything. Use it by itself. Apply to the hair, wide tooth comb again, leave in for 2-5 minutes TOPS. Rinse with cool water to close the hair cuticle. Comb once more and leave to air dry. *only use once every six weeks *be sure to use a clarifying shampoo before beginning this process. And btw, the smell is not that bad at all. It reminds me of rhubarb. The conditioner smells pretty heavy though. Not my favourite smell :)

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2013 1:00:00 PM More reviews by daenerys23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just finish applying Aphogee two step protein treatment on my overbleached, fried, mushy, candyfloss hair and it did nothing :((( I kept it on my hair for approx 25-30 mins (I used a hair dryer and I washed it out after it became solid hard).Can't understand what went wrong, it seems to work for other people...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 2:55:00 PM More reviews by foxyf0xy

Wow, I am absolutely shocked. Almost jumping for joy and shedding tears of happiness! I have a long history of majorly screwing up my hair, namely going back and forth from dark to light. My hair is shoulder length and layered, and for the past year I've been good and kept it dark, only doing root touch-ups confined strictly to the root area, instead of slathering on the excess dye on the rest of my hair like I normally would have. I got bored of it and felt I needed change, so with my prior good year I decided to go blonde. After lifting several levels to a light champagne blonde, my hair was a little on the mushy-stretchy rubber bandy side. I wasn't too worried because it's been worse, but I was tired of waiting an hour for my hair to dry. I went to Sally's, picked up this as well as a few other products, and held off on this mainly due to the dread of having wet hair AGAIN. I ended up leaving the protein treatment on for over an hour because I was tired of holding up my hair dryer, so I let most of it air dry. Yes, it stinks, yes, it's sticky, and runny- but I didn't find it hard to apply. I just opened a tiny corner or the packet and applied it at the top of my head, sort of guiding it down the rest of my hair. And a little side note..don't put a towel over your shoulders, your hair will start to crunchify to your towel. Anyway, I left it on for an hour, wasn't expecting much, got in the shower and let it rinse out without touching it, fearful of the snapping off everyone seems to mention. After the protein junk rinsed out, I was shocked, I almost started crying, but in a happy way. Instead of stretchy and squishy and fried, my hair was smooth and not NEARLY as stretchy and not squishy at all. It felt like real hair again. Someone else mentioned that they could feel the individual hair strands again when it was wet and that's the perfect way to describe it. My hair also didn't feel dry after washing the protein treatment out, not sure why. Not complaining. I shampooed with a tiny bit of head and shoulders since I have some stains from purple shampoo in my roots, I put in the moisture packet for three minutes, rinsed, put in Aussie deeeep treatment for a while and rinsed with cold water to seal the cuticles. I can run my fingers through my hair wet, I can pull on it and get almost no stretchy nastiness. I am so excited. I had been under the impression that my hair would be okay without the treatment but boy am I glad I tried this. This is a lifesaver, this will forever be my go-to product for damaged hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2013 9:22:00 PM More reviews by volcomstar4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Thank you Aphogee from saving me a trip to the salon! I bleached my hair at home without any previous bleaching experience. I have thick dark brown color treated hair. I use heat on it on a daily basis and wash it almost every day. I know this is bad but never really noticed my hair to be overly dry. Anyways, I decided to go almost platinum. I only bleached it once, made sure to put a red gold corrector in, but I overlapped a few times in the same spots (in the front where my hair is especially dry). I didn't notice too much damage after I bleached it. It turned out blonde but not platinum. I thought one more go at it in another week would get it to the platinum I wanted. However, the next day I did a clarifying treatment and it completely stripped any and all oils I had left in my hair and the parts of my hair that I overlapped started go to "mushy" (rubberband feeling when wet, can stretch easy, then snap and break). I FREAKED out because my hair has never been so damaged before. I believe this is one step before hair falling out. My friend who is a hair professional told me to do a keratin mask then follow up with an intense moisture treatment. I tried KeraPro (the Kerastese dupe) for 5 hours under a showercap, then slept in the Macadamia Natural Oil deep repair masque with some of my organix awapuhi ginger conditioner. My hair the next morning after I rinsed out still felt "mushy". After much panicking and searching MUA, I came across Aphogee. It was my last resort. I rushed to Sallys and picked up the small bottle because I didn't think the small single pack would be enough. I'm glad I did, because I know for certain it wouldn't have been enough. I also got the Balancing Moisturizer (2nd step). I think it's important to get this because it does change the pH of your hair after the intense 1st step. I washed my hair with an Argan Oil Moisturizing Shampoo, then generously applied the stinky feet smelling protein mixture to my hair. I separated my hair in 6 different sections to make sure to apply evenly. Then I gently combed my hair with a wide tooth comb to evenly distribute through out. DO NOT try to manipulate your hair or put it up in a pony because your hair will get so dry it will break. Just part it down the middle, and apply a crap ton of it. I took my hair dryer on medium heat and dried my hair with it for about 20 min straight. It was pretty rock hard at the top and really scrunchy and hard towards my ends. I waited another 15 minutes after and hopped in a lukewarm shower (Heat=bad for damaged hair!) I let the coldish water run down my hair and the mixture surprisingly washes out pretty easy. Let it do its thing, don't force it out with your fingers. I applied the 2nd Balancing Moisturizer step, let it sit for 3 minutes, then washed it out. I agree with other reviewers on here, it's not as moisturizing as you'd think. I would follow up with another intense moisturizing mask or conditioner (I used Aussies 3 min miracle with some of my Macadamia Natural Oil mask) and let it sit for an other 10-15 mins. After I washed my hair out, it felt silky smooth! I dried my hair on cool with a wide tooth comb very gently and was AMAZED that the mushy parts felt like human hair again. And the dry parts of my hair felt like it did before I bleached it. I can't stop running my fingers through it :) it is the ONLY thing on the market that I know of that can do what it does. Just remember to use heat, buy the small bottle at least there isn't much in the packet, and don't disturb your hair at all when its drying. Let it do it's thing and you will be amazed!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 7:29:00 AM More reviews by Wafflemancer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

For me, this wasn't the miracle that I had hoped it would be based on the other reviews - but it was very good. I have extremely damaged hair - naturally dark, coarse (latina) hair that has been bleached to death every 6 weeks for the last several years and dyed every color under the sun. After using this, my hair felt stronger and more like it's natural texture, but my bad problem areas were not improved at all. I think my hair is probably just too damaged at this point. A few side points 1) I don't think the smell was really that bad..not nice, but not horrible either. 2) I have shoulder-length hair and I bought the single use packets - it wasn't quite enough. Could have used a bit more. 3) Had to empty the Step 1 packet into a squeeze bottle to use it - it was extremely messy and sticky.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by sarahholman

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I made the mistake of using John Frieda go blonder pray to attempt to give my honey blonde hair lighter streaks. The result was frizzy candy floss hair that was snapping off in chunks! After a few days of depression and internet research I decided to go to Sallys and purchase this product. My hair is now back to normal, shiny and strong! The pieces that broke off even look better as they now lie flat and blend in with the rest of my head. I am so grateful for this product and recommend to anyone who has fried their hair looking for a quick fix!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 11:25:00 PM More reviews by Lawlz24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Aphogee literally saved my hair! I went to a salon recently to get more purple highlights on my hair. The hairdresser not only fried my hair completely but he also managed to rip off a huge chunk of it (I now have a rly weird animu cowlick thing).

I was furious and inconsolable, my hair was gummy and broke off if I dared to brush my fingers through it. I was terrified of getting it wet. At this point it would have been reasonable to cut it off but I absolutely hate having short hair and I spent an eternity growing my hair til lower back lenght so cutting to me was no option. I tried lots and lots of hot oil treatments which helped a bit but did not adress the breakage problem. Finally, I got myself the Aphogee protein treatment from Sally's.

As everyone has stated,it is a very messy application process and the smell is just rly funky (I think it kinda smelled like feet). However, this is a very small price to pay for the total miracle that happened later.

After I was rinsing out my rock-hard proteined hair, I put in the Aphogee conditioner. After that, I put a mix of coconut oil and color protecting conditioner. I was so amazed by the results. I no longer shed a squirrel of hair and my hair feels strong and healthy, almost like how it felt when it was still virgin hair!

I owe the life of my hair to this product, I will be sure to use it every month or so, it is a lifesaver.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 3:20:00 PM More reviews by moonandtheriver

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Let me start by saying my hair has been in terrible condition. TERRIBLE. I had split ends all over the sides and it was breaking off like crazy. I tried conditioners, oils, treatments, overnight treatments and regular trimming to no avail. I have no idea why my hair has been so bad, I don't color very often, I dry on a low heat setting and am very light with the curling iron, I use natural shampoos and a leave in conditioner to help with dryness and heat protection. I was frustrated. This was kinda my last resort...honestly I was scared to try this after some of the reviews about it drying rock hard and don't overuse protein, etc. So I bought the packets at Sallys and tried it.I washed and towel dried, put the stuff in a spray bottle and sprayed it on...super sticky mess by the way) and put the blow dryer on it for 15 minutes and that was all it took for my fine thin hair to dry. It was hardened, like having waaaay too much gel dried in your hair. I jumped in the shower and rinsed out, it came out easily. I added the conditioner that came with it and some of my own rich conditioner mixed in, left it in for 5 minutes and rinsed it out. Wow. Soft, shiny hair. I trimmed off the split ends and my hair looks so much better and the dryness and breakage seems to be held at bay. My hair feels better, it styles better, it has the movement it used to have. Wish I had done this ages ago. This seems to be the restart of better health for my hair and I will continue to use this every so often to keep my hair healthy. I have to wonder if my next coloring will be better as well. I love the conditioner this came with too. Not nearly as scary as people make it sound and seem... the worst part was cleaning up the stickiness off the counter afterward. I'm so happy to have my hair back!