April 16, 2014 | 1882 users online

Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 2/22/2013 10:08:00 PM More reviews by lolaboo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product is confusing, seriously you're better off with bleach! This left my hair patchy and discolored and I looked like a Dalmatian! I would've been better with bleach. :S

rated 2 of 5 on 2/14/2013 1:06:00 AM More reviews by seattlegirl

I have given this such a low rating because I think their instructions are totally irresponsible:

1. as other reviewers have said, you really need to rinse for at least 20 minutes in the hottest water possible. before this is done, you need to try your best to make sure your hair does not get cold. basically, once the hair gets cold, the cuticle closes and you can't rinse the pigments out. it kind of says this in the instructions, but I feel they need to really emphasize it and explain why, so that you know that you absolutely cannot take shortcuts on this step. my point is, in the instructions, they need to try harder to drive this very important step home!

2. if you use any products with peroxide after this, it will cause the color to re-darken. they don't say this on the box or anywhere on the insert. they DO say this on the FAQ page of their website though. do you know what contains peroxide? MANY hair dyes.

I tried using color oops to get dark black/brown dye out of my blonde hair. I did the 20 minute hot water rinse, and it looked lighter, so I was satisfied that it worked. then I tried to tone it with a medium blonde dye and do you know what happened? it darkened to black/brown! there is no way a blonde dye alone could make my hair look black! the old pigments basically oxidized.

I am super annoyed. this product wasted my time, money, and tons of water. it was WAY easier to just bleach and tone some highlights instead. I will never use color oops again.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2013 7:53:00 AM More reviews by Jdiaz3364

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I will try to make a long story short.
Previous hair: brown with heavy heavy blond highlights. Overall look was blond. Cut it to a long inverted bob , dyed it a dark chocolate color with some chunky red highlights. A few weeks later, in the middle of a family crisis, got very aggravated with having to "do" my hair, had it cut short and added really bright red highlights to to top and the front. Fast forward through the crying and remorse, it was too everything...too short, too dark, too red and not only do I hate it..hubby hates the red look. How is it possible to forget how "permanent" it is when you cut you hair too short? Anywho, bought color oops extra strength to get the red out so I could recolor it at home which I haven't done in a long time. I held on to the box for about a week, scouring the Internet, reading reviews, watching the YouTube videos etc. because honestly, I was pretty petrified to do anything to it because I'm so miserable with it. Yesterday morning I got the balls to use it. First, I did a strand test. That came out perfect. The blonde came back. Yay! So I put it on my whole head...............
Showered, shampoo, rinse, rinse, rinse, shampoo, rinse, rinse, rinse, repeat that about 6 more times.
The moment of the truth as the fog on the mirror clears......bright orange with strawberry blonde highlights!!!! Bright orange people!!!! So ridiculous looking!!!! I took a picture of it so when I feel down I can look at it and get a good laugh.
The directions say if you are going to color your hair right away you should use a protein filler...I did not use one. Also, when you color again to pick a shade lighter because the hair is extremely porous after using color oops.
I chose a light neutral brown. The color did not come out bad. There was still a red hue to the previously highlighted pieces in the front. Tried then to highlight with a cap. The hair lifted at all different levels. So basically I feel like I have the technicolor dream oat on my head. It's a little multicolored right now but hubby said it looks "soo much better".
The moral of the story is...don't make drastic changes in the middle of a crisis!!
I think that I will go back to my hairdresser and have her put in my old highlights so that even though it is short at least the color is as it was before.
I don't think I would've been able to color over that red so I guess the color oops helped.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2012 6:25:00 PM More reviews by TheGoofQueen

I've been dyeing my hair red for about nine months now, and needed to get back to my original hair color for a play to be performed in April. Not wanting to destroy my hair, I knew traditional bleaches and stripping treatments weren't my first option, so I researched a couple other options and came across the reviews for this product. Now I'm sitting here with basically my natural hair color again! WOW! This product does exactly what it says it will do - my hair still has a little tinge of red in it (warnings of this ARE included in the packaging), but my natural hair is blonde with red highlights so it fits perfectly! My hair also doesn't feel damaged - maybe a little dry at the ends, but nothing a good deep conditioner won't fix. For $13 at Walgreens, it's a little pricey for my blood but considering the job it did I'm very pleased! As several people have noted, it DOES have a pretty pungent smell, but I think it was comparable to other hair colors/perms I've smelled. So unless you're very sensitive to smell it shouldn't bother you too much.

Overall a fantastic product, but I would definitely recommend performing the strand test, even if you don't normally do it! This seems like a product that really differs according to hair texture/thickness, but if you follow the directions it will do its job, and do it PHENOMENALLY!!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/12/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by AmyRuth23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been dying my hair black for about two years now. My natural color is a medium/dark brown. I tried this hoping I could get back to a more brown color because I'm tired of black. I used this and followed the directions. My hair is still jet black. I was really disappointed because I read a lot of reviews saying it had worked.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2012 2:57:00 PM More reviews by brandyleigh45

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ok...so I tried both Color Fix and Color Oops. Color fix was terrible. It seriously smells sooo bad! Imagine dead skunk, rotten eggs, and burnt rubber all mixed together. Thats how vile, and strong the smell is, and it doesn't come out of your hair for a LONG LONG time, even after multiple washings with strong shampoo. I found it to be ok in terms of not drying out my hair, and it did pull some of the color out, but not a good amount. It also caused extreme, considerable scalp irritation for me, turning my scalp really pink and making it very tender to touch. There would've been no way I could've done more then one application as it was just to chemically harsh!

I needed to remove the color though, and saw the Extra Strength Color Oops in the store and figured I'd give it a try. I liked the Color Oops much better. It didn't hurt my scalp, and seemed to pull the color out better then the Color Fix. I did leave it on for 45 minutes instead of 20 though. It left the gray strands that had been colored a sortof brassy colored, goldeny red, but didn't look bad. The product itself is a lot thinner in consistency then Color Fix. Very liquidy and harder to control in terms of application as it is very runny. Color fix is thicker and adheres better to the hair, and is easy to see. Color oops is transparent, and kindof hard to tell if you have covered all areas completely or equally. Also I have long hair, while I was able to get one application out of the Color Fix easily. I would recommend two boxes of the Color oops. The bottle appears to be a tad bit smaller (3oz vs 4oz in color fix I think) and that one ounce made a big difference. Plus the thinner consistency makes it harder to get good coverage without the additional bottle. Over all I felt it did a pretty good job removing the color. I have dark brown hair, and have been using a dark brown permanent color for a long time on it. I felt over the years it has become more black brown and a bit harsh looking for my pale skin and I wanted to get back more to my natural color. The Color Oops removed the color from my gray hair and brought the rest of my hair back to is natural color dark brown. It was gentle on my hair and left it feeling very silky and soft. I would definitely recommend it and would use it again in the future. In my opinion it is much gentler and overall does a better job then Color Fix. Also while it has a smell to it, it is nothing at all like Color Fix, and even after a couple washes doesn't smell too bad. I'm sure with another couple washings my hair will be back to its normal scent, at least I don't feel like I have to be embarrassed or that folks can smell my hair before I get there like I did with Color Fix. It would definitely be my first choice in the future for color removal and I will NEVER again use Color Fix!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2012 8:45:00 PM More reviews by CarrieWinter

First of all, WOW. I was absolutely amazed by this product. After researching it for a while I finally decided to bite the bullet and try it. After having a horrible mishap two years ago with stripping/bleaching my hair I was extremely skeptical. I went to Sally Beauty and the sales lady told me what I would need to take my hair from black to red, so I went ahead and bought a stripping kit and a bleaching kit along with a few packages of a deep conditioner. An inch and a half of my hair fell off.. even though I listened to her directions to a tee. So about a year ago my hair turned JET BLACK after the packaging said "Natural Medium Brown" and I decided to leave it because I didn't want to sit in a salon for hours on end. I used Color Oops the other day and left it on for an hour, rinsed, and applied another box for an additional 30 minutes. I couldn't believe how soft it made my hair. By no means did it bring me back to my natural hair color though (not that I really know what it is anymore). It turned my roots a light red and my ends a dark copper red. HOWEVER I did not read the full directions and colored my hair the next day... without using a filler. My hair went right back to being black. So off to Walmart I went again to buy another box of Color Oops. At least my hair didn't fall off this time though!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2012 11:08:00 PM More reviews by poutymouth

I joined Makeupalley after years of lurking to write this review. Color Oops is fantastic but the trick is DO NOT LISTEN TO THE DIRECTIONS.

Here's the scoop; I've had dyed black hair over naturally strawberry blonde hair for exactly one year. I bought two boxes of Color Oops and the first process I used the entire box. I let it sit on for ONE HOUR. Not twenty minutes, like the directions suggest. I washed it out and it was a reddish chestnut. My hair felt like silk. It was so clean and refreshed from ridding it of all of that 'colour buildup' that I had mistaken for damage. Next process was half the second bottle. Another hour. Definitely auburn red. Next process, another hour. Now, it wasn't by any means my colour before dying but it was an incredible inprovement. No damage. No bleach. No expensive salon trips for them to tell me to come back five times because it's impossible to do in one sitting. I'm so pleased. Highly recommend!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2012 8:45:00 PM More reviews by Qu33nB33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

With all the wonderful reviews on this people convinced me to try this Color Oops. I was hesitant because I was using it on dark dark brown almost black hair, but so had others so for SOME reason I had faith in this..OOPS! Let me just say I followed the direction EXACTLY how I was suppose to, and this product did NOTHING! Actually it was worse than nothing I would have preferred nothing to happen. But instead I got brassy orange-y roots (but I know it's bound to be an ugly color) with almost no color removal past the first 2 inches from my roots! I am left with 3 different colors of roots and blackish red for the rest. I am NOT pleased. The ONLY PRO of this was it did not damage my hair at all, and that is a very big pro so for that reason I give 2 lippies because if you have LIGHTER hair I would recommend but never for dark dark hair.
EDIT:I decided to use it a second time-because what am I gonna do leave my hair 3 different color? NO! so 2nd time again did VERY MINIMAL stripping. I had left some product in the bottle luckily so a 3RD yea thats right 3RD time doing it FINALLY got me to a dark brown. My hair is more damaged than before but nothing deep condition can't fix, but really? 3x? There has to be something better out there!
EDIT: Gave it one more shot doing it a 4th and 5th time (I know your not suppose to but my hair was healthy enough) and it did get it to a decent color so for that i will give it a 3, it took FOREVER to get here but it did it so 3 it is.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by aylasafford16

I must say I'm both impressed and also let down. I read all the reviews on Color OOPS and I was super excited to get it. My hair is naturally dirty blonde and I've dyed it more times than I can count. I've had dark red, bright red, bleach blonde, purple, pink, blue, black (like 10 times) orange, silver.. You name it. It didn't leave any damage on my hair which I'm thankful for considering how damaged it was already! I put it in, followed the directions to a tee, and rinsed like a madwoman. My bangs and top half of my hair are a nice golden blonde and the rest is a light red color. I'm a little disappointed that it's not all the same color, but then again I did only buy one box ($13 at Walgreens) I'm definitely gonna buy another box once I get the money. I'm a little let down, however, about how little of it it got. But my hair is suuuuper messed up and suuuuper thick so it was to be expected.
Also, regarding the smell. It's smells a lot like burning rubber, masked underneath a citrusy smell. It's not as bad as I was expecting though.