April 17, 2014 | 908 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 2 of 5 on 1/26/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by zimzaz

I have been using this a primer and sunscreen since 2008. It used to work perfectly to control excess oiliness and make sure that the makeup stayed in place all day. It was so effective as a primer that I never had to use an eyeshadow primer before doing my eye makeup. The only difficulty was in removing because you needed a really strong makeup remover.

Now, the consistency is totally different. I thought my tube had gone bad because it deposits a weird lumpy white substance and a a cloudy liquid. Turns out, nope, formula has changed. Not cool! Why fix something that isn't broken?! Now it is way too drying on the skin...there is no way to combine the two separated substances AND it doesn't operate with the same hold as before.

I'm quite disappointed because now I have to find another primer with sunblock.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2013 3:10:00 PM More reviews by valcita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Iíve bought this product in Argentina. MAC here itís not as cheap as in US, I could say itís expensive. I thought as itís a MAC product quality would be good, but after buying the cream, I read the reviews at MAC webpage, and comments were not good.
Itís a very heavy cream that the only thing it does is to control oil while not drying the skin, so make up stay in your face for more hours. Other good thing is the SPF 50, so you donít have to add sunblock before makeup,but the smell is not good at all. It does not cover imperfections, nor have color.
I expected more from that cream. Maybe what Iwas looking for was a BB Cream instead of a prime and using foundation after that.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/10/2013 10:57:00 AM More reviews by chippergal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was HG.....it was seriously a life-saver at controlling oil. Nothing compared.....until they changed the formula!!!!!!!!!!!!! D*mn you MAC!!!! I thought I had bought a dud until I came on here and found what others were saying. I'm so mad! Why did they have to ruin a perfectly good product???? I will never buy nor recommend anymore. Does nothing for oil control and caused a severe breakout (like had to go to the derm and get back on Spiro). STAY AWAY!!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2013 7:22:00 AM More reviews by lavelle365

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I used this product from 2007 to 2012. It WAS once fantastic, then it was reformulated. Ruined. No warning and no information to tell us it had changed, but after using it exclusively daily for so long, when I opened the new tube, the change in formula was obvious from the texture and the fact it no longer mattified. Because the packaging is so dreadful, I have always decanted this into a small tub. The new formula separates into a gooey white paste and a slimy liquid. Disgraceful considering it was once an excellent product and there is no dupe and no equivalent product anywhere else in the Estee Lauder stable. This experience has really put me off MAC's product, despite their excellent eyeliner and quite good lippies. They should have withdrawn the old Prep & Prime if they could not manufacture it with the same formula rather than trying to sell new gunk under and old name. Grrr.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/17/2012 4:58:00 AM More reviews by mobsyf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First of all, that smell!! What on earth is it? Which ingredient? Perhaps the sunscreen?

Secondly, and most importantly, this broke me out...really bad. I suspect its the Zinc Oxide but not sure. Definitely not recommended.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2012 1:24:00 PM More reviews by kailingggg

This used to be my only solution to control my oily skin. It used to be great and kept my oil at bay all day long. BUT MAC HAD TO GO AND CHANGE THE FORMULA!

Initially i thought maybe the product had separated because it sat there too long and thats why it became runnier. I shook it up and mixed it around but to no avail. When i went back to the store, ALAS! They had changed the formula. The formula now contains oxybenzone which is really bad for you!, It smells just like sunscreen and worse of all IT DOESNT CONTROLS OIL ANYMORE!

I have no idea what to try now since this was the only thing that had worked for me. So disappointed. Let me know if there are any other primers that can help control oil :/

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by candydoll

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Why did they reformulate this primer?! It was the one primer that controlled my oil all day AND had great sunscreen. I must have gone through 5 or 6 bottles of this stuff. It was fantastic. Then, about a couple of months ago, I bought another bottle and it was a completely different product! It was runny and smelled different. But the worst part of it was it no longer worked...AT ALL. At first I thought I got a bad bottle. So I went to a different store and asked them if the product had changed. The MUA swore it was the same product. I tried it again and still it was HORRIBLE. I'm really disappointed that they destroyed this primer. I don't know what I will find to replace it. I don't recommend spending money on this, as it is no more than a regular sunscreen and you can get that much cheaper. It does not control oil or prime the face in any way now. So sad.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by um3bosh1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this product religiously for years and years. It's true that the container was bad for the original product. The primer was thick and at the end I'd have to cut off the top of the bottle to get to all the product. It was worth it though, and I'd store it in another container at that point. However, the new formula, which I'm assuming was meant to address the problem of the thick product in poorly designed container, is terrible. Not only does it NOT WORK, it runs/leaks out of the bottle, leading to a lot of waste of the product.The solution to the old problem was a better container, not a reformulation of the primer. The only "good" thing I can say about the new reformulation is that is helped me realize how much I loved the old formula! I want it back!

EDIT: I had been using Mac's Prep and Prime Protect SPF 50 until the formula changed. I sampled multiple oil-control primers from Sephora (Murad, Roth, Clinique, Korres) and some drugstore brands (Boots, Cetaphil) from Target over the course of the past few months. I finally settled on Hourglass Veil Mineral and I love it. Interestingly, it has Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, two ingredients that, as I recall, were in the Mac Prep and Prime and removed and replaced by chemical sunscreens. Now I'm wondering if those sunscreen ingredients don't also have oil-control properties. None of the other primers I tried worked very well, and none of them had these two ingredients.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2012 2:36:00 AM More reviews by milikam

i had the old version of this primer and it was perfect, but a week ago i got the new formula and it sucks. every time i use it my face looks greasy and bad. also if you read the box the 3 main ingredients are sunscreens and nothing else. dont waste money on this.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2012 5:49:00 AM More reviews by sevel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this product as most of my make up is MAC and I've always used MAC foundations so buying the primer seemed logical. I have oily combination skin and had never really used a primer before this. Well after three days of using this my skin broke out TERRIBLY. I got tonnes of small little pimple like dots all over my cheeks. Please note, this may not happen to everyone and is simply my experience with this product but I will say if you're thinking about buying this maybe ask for a sample to try?
I did end up returning the product and the MAC staff were completely fine about it- they did get me to fill out a form saying what kind of reaction I had so they could pass the feedback on which I did think was good.