MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

i love this! was a bit sceptical after reading some of the reviews about it making people break out or over drying, but i haven't found any of that - it's amazing! i think the key is not to over apply - I've never noticed the white residue leftover that people have mentioned, and I wait a minute or two before you apply your foundation to let it really soak in - then it's not so sticky when you apply foundation. My make up literally stays on all day, and there is no oil what so ever. If you're not sure, ask your Mac store for a tester pot and give it a try for a few days before you invest in the bottle.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

The texture on the skin is sticky. This is horrible for oily skin, I wouldn't recommend even for dry skin.
It's a bad as sunscreen and even worse as a primer.
For those who hates the sticky finish Skip It!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I have the one w/o the SPF. This is a great primer. I use it in place of my moisturizer (good or bad?) and maybe it's just my skin being weird, but when I apply it, my face turns red for a minute or two after. It also leaves little sparkles on my fingers. I have noticed that my foundation & powder look nicer when I use this. I just like it because it makes a smooth surface for my makeup. A must have in my kit.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This my favourite primer so far. It keeps my make up for a lot longer than other primers I have tried plus it just makes my make up look better. The fact that it is spf 50 is the main reason i brought it in the first place. It isn't too greasy for me but the consistency is a bit thick. I doesn't fill in the pores until they are completely invisible but it does do a pretty good job. It is a bit on the pricey side for me I think its currently £22.50 for 30ml, but I would say it does last a fair amount of time. I would recommend this primer.

The new ingredients like Avobenzone and Oxybenzone are chemical sunscreen ingredients. It makes the product aesthetically pleasing. But these are high hazard ingredients.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Mac has changed the formula but after speaking with a Mac Artist who has done some photo work recommend that i apply my moisturizer, then apply the prep and prime spf50 then apply some blot powder before apply my foundation. I can say on my first day that it is working now and but after a few hours I had to use more blot powder. This is a tip for the new formula of prep and prime spf50.

Oh my god. This is GOOD. I bought it a couple of years ago but was let down as I didn't feel like it did much (I think I ws expecting it to superglue my makeup down...).

However, I pulled this out again; applied, it makes for incredibly smooth and poreless looking skin! It also does make my mu stay on a lot longer (not magically so but around a few hours more, and makeup still stays on much better in heat or by the end of the day with only gradual fading as compared to makeup evaporation!) HG

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I've repurchased this time and time again. I love it. I happened upon this by mistake. Originally, I was using the Prep+Prime *without* the SPF, but an SA accidently gave me this instead when I went to get a replacement. Best mistake ever! My skin is very, very fair. This has protected my skin completely even in very harsh, direct, prolonged summer sun. I noticed a difference in the overall appearance of my skin within a month of using this. The SPF really protects. As a primer, it smooths my skin out and hydrates any dry spots I may have. My skin is very oily, and this helps keep my foundation in place much longer as well as provides much smoother application. A little bit goes a long way, and it lasts a decent amount of time. I end up cutting the tube in half and scooping out the left over product once it stops squeezing out. This does have a tendency to seperate in the tube, but I just rub the product back together in my hands before I apply. I am acne prone (cystic, clogs) and very sensitive and this has not bothered my skin.

EDIT:/ I have not tried the new formula...and now I'm heart broken...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Oh, no, my favorite skincare product of all time has been reformulated with avobenzone as the new active ingredient instead of zinc oxide. The MAC website did not mention this reformulation so I slathered it on without looking at the ingredients--bad move as my face immediately started burning and even though I washed it off, my face and neck are now covered in itchy red spots from contact dermatitis. On top of that, it left a greasy film on my skin instead of a nice, smooth matte finish. I am so disappointed as I used this religiously for the past 10 years. My search for a new gentle, non-greasy sunscreen begins again...

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

When I first purchased this product, I was concerned that it may be too greasy for my skin. As I have combination skin, it was important for a product to not bring my skin more moisture than it needed but I also needed the sun protection and the primer as I am a fatihful user of MAC makeup products. At this point, I have been use this product for a few months now and I must say that I love this product. It's not too oily for my skin, I have not had one breakout as a result. I also have noticed as a result of using this prep n prime spt 50 that my skin has become more even and there is an astounding reduction in my dark spots. I will definitely continue to use this product.

Popular Primer/ Correctors