December 19, 2014 | 1514 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by cherriesandpie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh my god. This is GOOD. I bought it a couple of years ago but was let down as I didn't feel like it did much (I think I ws expecting it to superglue my makeup down...).

However, I pulled this out again; applied, it makes for incredibly smooth and poreless looking skin! It also does make my mu stay on a lot longer (not magically so but around a few hours more, and makeup still stays on much better in heat or by the end of the day with only gradual fading as compared to makeup evaporation!) HG

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've repurchased this time and time again. I love it. I happened upon this by mistake. Originally, I was using the Prep+Prime *without* the SPF, but an SA accidently gave me this instead when I went to get a replacement. Best mistake ever! My skin is very, very fair. This has protected my skin completely even in very harsh, direct, prolonged summer sun. I noticed a difference in the overall appearance of my skin within a month of using this. The SPF really protects. As a primer, it smooths my skin out and hydrates any dry spots I may have. My skin is very oily, and this helps keep my foundation in place much longer as well as provides much smoother application. A little bit goes a long way, and it lasts a decent amount of time. I end up cutting the tube in half and scooping out the left over product once it stops squeezing out. This does have a tendency to seperate in the tube, but I just rub the product back together in my hands before I apply. I am acne prone (cystic, clogs) and very sensitive and this has not bothered my skin.

EDIT:/ I have not tried the new formula...and now I'm heart broken...

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2013 3:35:00 PM More reviews by criscate

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh, no, my favorite skincare product of all time has been reformulated with avobenzone as the new active ingredient instead of zinc oxide. The MAC website did not mention this reformulation so I slathered it on without looking at the ingredients--bad move as my face immediately started burning and even though I washed it off, my face and neck are now covered in itchy red spots from contact dermatitis. On top of that, it left a greasy film on my skin instead of a nice, smooth matte finish. I am so disappointed as I used this religiously for the past 10 years. My search for a new gentle, non-greasy sunscreen begins again...

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 12:12:00 AM More reviews by Sweetlady21801

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I first purchased this product, I was concerned that it may be too greasy for my skin. As I have combination skin, it was important for a product to not bring my skin more moisture than it needed but I also needed the sun protection and the primer as I am a fatihful user of MAC makeup products. At this point, I have been use this product for a few months now and I must say that I love this product. It's not too oily for my skin, I have not had one breakout as a result. I also have noticed as a result of using this prep n prime spt 50 that my skin has become more even and there is an astounding reduction in my dark spots. I will definitely continue to use this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/22/2013 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Ladycutty

I am so disappointed with the new formula. I wish I could slap whoever decided it was a good idea to change the formula. This was my savior for years. It would matte my face and keep my makeup intact and oil-free all day. I refused to put makeup on without putting my prep + prime before. I thought I had picked up a defective bottle when I first opened a bottle of the new formula. It was runny, greasy and didn't help keep my makeup or get rid of oil. Definitely not worth my money anymore. I am so disappointed and I can't seem to find anything to replace it. I have turned to just constantly powdering my face with MAC's blot powder, which helps to take most of the oil, but is a nuisance to do so often. PLEASE let me know if you have found something that I can replace my prep + prime with. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 11:52:00 AM More reviews by releets

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I should note that this review is for the new formulation, i never tried the old one.Ok. I am having a hard time coughing up the 52.00 (Canadian) for my absolute HG primer, hourglass mineral veil SPF 15, so I am giving this a go. ( 35.00 Canadian I think)
Pros: active sunscreen ingredient is zinc oxide which is great for my rosacea and it is not breaking my acne prone/combination skin out.
High SPF which will be great for the summer!
Applies smoothly as long as I apply a moisturizer first & once I apply my foundation; omg, my foundation, no matter if its low end or high end, does not budge for at least 10 + hours:)
Cons: No extra antioxidants or special benefits for my skin.
Very hard to wash off; probably need a better cleanser, I am currently using PCs hydralight cleanser ( I think that's the name, the one in the huge bottle with green writing....very specific, I know, lol! )
So all in all it is a fantastic primer with the added benefit of SPF!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by fayeonaise

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If I could do horrible things to the person who decided to change the formula of what was my HG primer...I would. I used to buy this 2 at a time just so I could have a back up on hand. The new formula is runny, oily and greasy. Makeup slide all over you face and you look like a hot mess. Old formula kept this uber shiny face at bay ALL DAY!!! And I was able to photograph well WITH Flash photography and studio lights with no white cast! I'm seriously ticked off by this. This replaced my HG Sofina Lucent and Shishiedo SPF 55. When you have very oily skin and you find something that works and DOESN'T break you out...its like the second coming. Thanks MAC for ruining all that is good!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/26/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by zimzaz

I have been using this a primer and sunscreen since 2008. It used to work perfectly to control excess oiliness and make sure that the makeup stayed in place all day. It was so effective as a primer that I never had to use an eyeshadow primer before doing my eye makeup. The only difficulty was in removing because you needed a really strong makeup remover.

Now, the consistency is totally different. I thought my tube had gone bad because it deposits a weird lumpy white substance and a a cloudy liquid. Turns out, nope, formula has changed. Not cool! Why fix something that isn't broken?! Now it is way too drying on the skin...there is no way to combine the two separated substances AND it doesn't operate with the same hold as before.

I'm quite disappointed because now I have to find another primer with sunblock.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2013 3:10:00 PM More reviews by valcita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Iíve bought this product in Argentina. MAC here itís not as cheap as in US, I could say itís expensive. I thought as itís a MAC product quality would be good, but after buying the cream, I read the reviews at MAC webpage, and comments were not good.
Itís a very heavy cream that the only thing it does is to control oil while not drying the skin, so make up stay in your face for more hours. Other good thing is the SPF 50, so you donít have to add sunblock before makeup,but the smell is not good at all. It does not cover imperfections, nor have color.
I expected more from that cream. Maybe what Iwas looking for was a BB Cream instead of a prime and using foundation after that.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/10/2013 10:57:00 AM More reviews by chippergal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was HG.....it was seriously a life-saver at controlling oil. Nothing compared.....until they changed the formula!!!!!!!!!!!!! D*mn you MAC!!!! I thought I had bought a dud until I came on here and found what others were saying. I'm so mad! Why did they have to ruin a perfectly good product???? I will never buy nor recommend anymore. Does nothing for oil control and caused a severe breakout (like had to go to the derm and get back on Spiro). STAY AWAY!!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No