August 1, 2014 | 1743 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 1 of 5 on 2/22/2013 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Ladycutty

I am so disappointed with the new formula. I wish I could slap whoever decided it was a good idea to change the formula. This was my savior for years. It would matte my face and keep my makeup intact and oil-free all day. I refused to put makeup on without putting my prep + prime before. I thought I had picked up a defective bottle when I first opened a bottle of the new formula. It was runny, greasy and didn't help keep my makeup or get rid of oil. Definitely not worth my money anymore. I am so disappointed and I can't seem to find anything to replace it. I have turned to just constantly powdering my face with MAC's blot powder, which helps to take most of the oil, but is a nuisance to do so often. PLEASE let me know if you have found something that I can replace my prep + prime with. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 11:52:00 AM More reviews by releets

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I should note that this review is for the new formulation, i never tried the old one.Ok. I am having a hard time coughing up the 52.00 (Canadian) for my absolute HG primer, hourglass mineral veil SPF 15, so I am giving this a go. ( 35.00 Canadian I think)
Pros: active sunscreen ingredient is zinc oxide which is great for my rosacea and it is not breaking my acne prone/combination skin out.
High SPF which will be great for the summer!
Applies smoothly as long as I apply a moisturizer first & once I apply my foundation; omg, my foundation, no matter if its low end or high end, does not budge for at least 10 + hours:)
Cons: No extra antioxidants or special benefits for my skin.
Very hard to wash off; probably need a better cleanser, I am currently using PCs hydralight cleanser ( I think that's the name, the one in the huge bottle with green writing....very specific, I know, lol! )
So all in all it is a fantastic primer with the added benefit of SPF!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by fayeonaise

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If I could do horrible things to the person who decided to change the formula of what was my HG primer...I would. I used to buy this 2 at a time just so I could have a back up on hand. The new formula is runny, oily and greasy. Makeup slide all over you face and you look like a hot mess. Old formula kept this uber shiny face at bay ALL DAY!!! And I was able to photograph well WITH Flash photography and studio lights with no white cast! I'm seriously ticked off by this. This replaced my HG Sofina Lucent and Shishiedo SPF 55. When you have very oily skin and you find something that works and DOESN'T break you out...its like the second coming. Thanks MAC for ruining all that is good!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/26/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by zimzaz

I have been using this a primer and sunscreen since 2008. It used to work perfectly to control excess oiliness and make sure that the makeup stayed in place all day. It was so effective as a primer that I never had to use an eyeshadow primer before doing my eye makeup. The only difficulty was in removing because you needed a really strong makeup remover.

Now, the consistency is totally different. I thought my tube had gone bad because it deposits a weird lumpy white substance and a a cloudy liquid. Turns out, nope, formula has changed. Not cool! Why fix something that isn't broken?! Now it is way too drying on the skin...there is no way to combine the two separated substances AND it doesn't operate with the same hold as before.

I'm quite disappointed because now I have to find another primer with sunblock.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2013 3:10:00 PM More reviews by valcita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Iíve bought this product in Argentina. MAC here itís not as cheap as in US, I could say itís expensive. I thought as itís a MAC product quality would be good, but after buying the cream, I read the reviews at MAC webpage, and comments were not good.
Itís a very heavy cream that the only thing it does is to control oil while not drying the skin, so make up stay in your face for more hours. Other good thing is the SPF 50, so you donít have to add sunblock before makeup,but the smell is not good at all. It does not cover imperfections, nor have color.
I expected more from that cream. Maybe what Iwas looking for was a BB Cream instead of a prime and using foundation after that.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/10/2013 10:57:00 AM More reviews by chippergal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was HG.....it was seriously a life-saver at controlling oil. Nothing compared.....until they changed the formula!!!!!!!!!!!!! D*mn you MAC!!!! I thought I had bought a dud until I came on here and found what others were saying. I'm so mad! Why did they have to ruin a perfectly good product???? I will never buy nor recommend anymore. Does nothing for oil control and caused a severe breakout (like had to go to the derm and get back on Spiro). STAY AWAY!!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2013 7:22:00 AM More reviews by lavelle365

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I used this product from 2007 to 2012. It WAS once fantastic, then it was reformulated. Ruined. No warning and no information to tell us it had changed, but after using it exclusively daily for so long, when I opened the new tube, the change in formula was obvious from the texture and the fact it no longer mattified. Because the packaging is so dreadful, I have always decanted this into a small tub. The new formula separates into a gooey white paste and a slimy liquid. Disgraceful considering it was once an excellent product and there is no dupe and no equivalent product anywhere else in the Estee Lauder stable. This experience has really put me off MAC's product, despite their excellent eyeliner and quite good lippies. They should have withdrawn the old Prep & Prime if they could not manufacture it with the same formula rather than trying to sell new gunk under and old name. Grrr.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/17/2012 4:58:00 AM More reviews by mobsyf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First of all, that smell!! What on earth is it? Which ingredient? Perhaps the sunscreen?

Secondly, and most importantly, this broke me out...really bad. I suspect its the Zinc Oxide but not sure. Definitely not recommended.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2012 1:24:00 PM More reviews by kailingggg

This used to be my only solution to control my oily skin. It used to be great and kept my oil at bay all day long. BUT MAC HAD TO GO AND CHANGE THE FORMULA!

Initially i thought maybe the product had separated because it sat there too long and thats why it became runnier. I shook it up and mixed it around but to no avail. When i went back to the store, ALAS! They had changed the formula. The formula now contains oxybenzone which is really bad for you!, It smells just like sunscreen and worse of all IT DOESNT CONTROLS OIL ANYMORE!

I have no idea what to try now since this was the only thing that had worked for me. So disappointed. Let me know if there are any other primers that can help control oil :/

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by candydoll

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Why did they reformulate this primer?! It was the one primer that controlled my oil all day AND had great sunscreen. I must have gone through 5 or 6 bottles of this stuff. It was fantastic. Then, about a couple of months ago, I bought another bottle and it was a completely different product! It was runny and smelled different. But the worst part of it was it no longer worked...AT ALL. At first I thought I got a bad bottle. So I went to a different store and asked them if the product had changed. The MUA swore it was the same product. I tried it again and still it was HORRIBLE. I'm really disappointed that they destroyed this primer. I don't know what I will find to replace it. I don't recommend spending money on this, as it is no more than a regular sunscreen and you can get that much cheaper. It does not control oil or prime the face in any way now. So sad.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No