December 19, 2014 | 1550 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Aveda - Large Paddle Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2009 9:23:00 PM More reviews by hjwms

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm new & this is my 1st review!
I just had to ditto the wonderfulness of this brush!!! I bought mine 21 ~ 22 yrs ago so it's Aveda's original style w/ the natural, untreated wood...still going strong & I absolutely LOOOVE it! I don't recall what I paid for it back then; but...I guess it really doesn't matter b/c the quality & durablity speak for themselves!
My 11 yr old son & I each use this at least once every day. We both have long, shiney & healthy hair. Mine is fine & straight w/o much volume (okay, flat & stick straight...I've accepted it) & his is fine & straight w/ very lovely thickness & volume. It's just perfect for us...nicely weighted w/o any pulling or breakage whatsoever, even when he uses it on his wet hair. Would definately purchase again at any price point...that is, if I ever need to! ; )

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2009 8:58:00 AM More reviews by CKrit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I actually own 2 of these great detangling brushes, having bought each separately. I have mid-to-long thick, straight hair, but because it is fine, it tangles like crazy. Wet or dry, the rubber bristles manage to penetrate through all my layers to the scalp to detangle my hair without irritation.

I am still using the first brush, despite having the wood finish practically worn off--which is partly why I bought the second one and why I can't justify giving it 5 stars. I have left the second one in it's box just so I can still admire the finish! Maybe I should coat it with some Thompson's Water Seal and see if that works? Ha ha.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2009 3:34:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE (2012-02-17): BOYCOTTING RE. CURRENT ANIMAL TESTING FOR CHINESE MARKET

Bought this recently for two reasons:

(1) my beloved old Mason Pearson brushes finally died, after almost exactly 20 years' faithful service for the big one and 18 for the handbag smaller version;

(2) they'd used this paddle brush on my hair whenever I was at an Aveda salon. I liked the feel of it and results.

It's somewhere around 18-20 GBP/EUR/USD, which is more than many brushes, but not much more than other wooden ones that are untreated (the Aveda one is treated, so shouldn't warp with water hitting it). Quality's splendid. And it's much, much cheaper than a replacement Mason Pearson boar bristle.

Decent results. Scalp feels stimulated. Hair is detangled, and stays that way. (Hair here: fine strands, lots of them, slightly wavy, does tangle if left to its own devices.) The brush feels very solid - indeed, it's not exactly light, and I can see how a previous reviewer was able to use it as a hammer.

Ask me again in 20 years' time, but for the time being, this is a winner. It's also pretty, in a minimalist nice lines / beautiful materials way.

Like many other brushes, likely to last longer if washed regularly (every week or so), with lukewarm water and mild shampoo unless there are rubber bits, in which case just with water.

UPDATE: no need to ask be in 20 years's time on this one. This lasted 4 months before breaking. Replaced with a similar-looking cheaper paddle brush. It also broke. Both money wasted. Returned to the Mason Pearson, this time the "Junior" size mixed boar bristle & nylon. Hair is noticeably softer and smoother, and hair loss less. Brush not broken yet, either... Will update the MP review in another 20 years' time... continued >>

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2009 12:42:00 PM More reviews by colleen_co

I love this brush. I have had it for a couple years now and never had any problems with it. I love the shape and size and it is nice and lightweight, too. It is very easy to clean by just pulling up the hair on the brush in one nice big clump. It isn't rough on my head at all. I bought this in Vegas when I realized I forgot my brush at home. I am really glad I bought it because I have never had a brush I liked more than this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2009 3:40:00 PM More reviews by yshah0621

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

pros: doesn't cause much breakage, good for blow drying, lots of shine, and pretty

cons: is wooden so not lightweight, price is steep $20

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 1:05:00 AM More reviews by aperfectegg

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

To put it simply when I die I want my Aveda paddle brush to go with me. The best brush on the market. I have long curly hair and this brush is just perfect -- detangles, has a lot of spring, doesn't hurt my hair or scalp -- perfect in every way.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2009 12:50:00 PM More reviews by mujigae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i dont know why I love this brush, but I just love it...
when I first bought it I was just in need of a brush and didnt think I would actually like it this much.
I dont know what it is that made me fall in love but i sure did!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2008 9:36:00 PM More reviews by sat4ngurl

I love this brush! My old brush was cheap and snagged my hair so I decided I needed an upgrade. I came across this brush and I'm in love with it. It is great for detangling my mess of hair in the morning. I have long and thick hair that gets tangled easily... despite how straight it is. The balls at the end of the bristles are great for a head massage.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2008 9:36:00 AM More reviews by madaket

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this brush because I remembered that I had one years ago that I really liked. Unfortunately, I got this one home, brushed my hair with it once, and one of the plastic bristles came out immediately. I have smooth, baby fine hair, so it's not like there was any pulling at tangles going on. This really irritates me. Why is everything such poor quality now?

If I thought it would stop at one, I would keep it, but now I feel like they will probably all fall out, so I'm returning it. Eighteen bucks goes a long way at Trader Joe's!

The quest for the perfect paddle brush goes on.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2008 6:52:00 PM More reviews by missmolliegirl

I have had this brush since 2003! Pretty impressive! I voted I will buy this brush again, but given its track record, I don't believe I will need to for a LONG LONG TIME!