Boots Botanics Soothing Eye Makeup Remover

Ingredients: Aqua, cyclopentasiloxane, isohexadecane, cyclohexasiloxane, butylene glycol, cetraria islandica (Iceland moss) extract, propylene glycol, methylparaben, sodium citrate, benzophenone-4, 2-bromo-2-nitroprophane-1, 3-diol, sorbitol, phenoxyethanol, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben, CI 19140, CI 42090.

on 7/10/2010 7:51:00 AM

I used to use Cliniques Take The Day Off emu remover but bought this because I was short of pennies. I would say its just as good! I really like it, it removes all my mascara and eyeliner clean away without rubbing and leaves my eyes feeling fresh.
I don't like the residue on my skin though so I just remove my eyemakeup after cleansing then tone after to remove the residue oil.
Will be buying again.

on 6/22/2010 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

What it Claims:
"Botanics Soothing Eye Make Up Remover effortlessly removes eye make up even waterproof mascara while also comforting and soothing the eye area, containing soothing Iceland Moss with high sugar content which helps to hydrate and calm skin as well as cleanse . Plant extracts at levels that really work, combined and formulated for unbeatable product performance. Naturally."

Claims - True or False?
1) Effortlessly removes eye makeup: False.
2) Comforts and soothes the eye area: False.
3) Hydrates and calms the skin: False.

The remover comes in a slender clear plastic bottle with a screw off cap. Aesthetically, it's very nice and simple, and allows you to easily see how much product is left. In terms of its practicality, well.. The design is simply not well-suited toward this remover. I don't mind the fact that you have to unscrew the top to use it, but with this remover it is a definite issue, which will be discussed further down. The labeling lists the ingredients and method of use. Another minor flaw with the packaging is that it can easily topple over if you do not store it carefully while using it. I wound up spilling some down the sink due to the bottom of the packaging.

I haven't noticed any strong scent when using. I don't think any fragrance was added, but i could be mistaken. If anything, it may just smell somewhat plant-y.

Being a dual-phase, this remover has two layers: oil and emulsifier. Shake the bottle and it creates a light green oily liquid. The combined consistency is quite oily on the lids, and if left to dry does take a good 5-10 minutes to do so. It does have a mild soapiness to it as well. Unlike Lancome's dual-phase however, this one separates almost instantly.

Ease of Use:
Somewhat of a pain to use, but not difficult. Shake the bottle to combine the layers, moisten a cotton round and apply to the eye area and gently wipe away makeup. The reason it becomes a pain to use is because it separates so fast. Shaking it multiple times isn't an issue, but after replacing the lid, shaking and unscrewing the lid, it starts to separate. I tried placing a cotton ball on the opening while shaking, but it soaked the ball far too much. I found that the best way to use it to ensure the formula combined and stayed combined for a decent amount of time was to shake the bottle while it's upside-down, then unscrew the lid and dispense the product.

Bang for your Buck:
The remover cost about $9.00CAD for 150ml. Price-wise, it's a good deal, as I can see it lasting a good 4+ months with daily use.

Final Consensus:
If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to the infamous Lancome Bi-Facil remover, this may work for you. It's definitely a different product than Bi-Facil, and thus produces a different result with makeup removal as well as on the skin itself. I'd recommend it to those who are not sensitive to natural plant-based ingredients and if oily residues do not turn you off, give this remover a try.
- Pros: Minimal blurred vision when used, removes eyeshadow very easily, well priced for the amount you are given, aesthetically pleasing, not too difficult to find locally.
- Cons: Somewhat difficult to use, can be irritating and drying to the eye and the skin, very oily consistency, does not remain combined for long enough, possibly caused excess lash fallout, does not remove non-waterproof mascara very easily, does not remove glitter or shimmer particles, leaves obvious flakes on the eye area, the packaging does not work well for the product itself.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 2/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

on 5/19/2010 7:40:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I bought Boots eye makeup remover after reading some reviews on the Lancome's version (which I was using before). I always thought that Lancome's was the best on the market so even though it was rather expensive, I forked out the money anyway thinking that beauty required making some sacrifices.
I bought mine during a trip abroad in Thailand on sale for THB250 (original price is THB300). Compared to Lancome, Boots was dirt cheap.
I love this bottle! It removes my waterproof mascara very nicely, and sometimes even if I don't wash my eyes right away, the oil from the eye makeup remover never bothers me.
It's a great buy and a great product! I recommend it to everyone!
Update 06/06/2011: During another trip to Thailand this year, I found Boots eye makeup remover on sale for even cheaper. Only THB199. I thought I got such a great deal...until I heard from my mom that she found it in another Boots chain store for THB175!!!

on 5/12/2010 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is nice on the eyes, it doesn't sting me or leave much residue, it kinda feels like water which is good. It removes even waterproof makeup really well.

on 4/23/2010 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I picked this up when CVS clearanced their Boots line a few months ago and I am thrilled with it. It removes the toughest eye makeup with a few swipes and leaves behind soft, slightly oiled skin.
I experienced no eye sting with my sensitive skin.

on 4/18/2010 1:46:00 AM

This is the greatest make-up remover I've ever bought. Make-up easily glides off in just a couple of swipes and considerably inexpensive. However a little goes a long way as it's kind of too oily.

on 4/14/2010 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

This product really works to take off waterproof mascara as well as the MAC liquid liner I use. You get a lot of product for the money and you only have to use a tiny bit!

on 4/13/2010 6:33:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I don't really wear much eye make up - when I do it's only eyeliner and mascara. This stuff is quite good at getting it off (haven't tried it on waterproof mascara though), but it is really oily.

It's really good value though - 3 for 150ml, which will last for AGES because you only have to use a tiny amount on a bit of cotton wool.

The bottle makes it look all organic and quite expensive, even though it's really easy to knock over or spill it when you are putting it on cotton wool.

So I guess this is quite a good eye make up remover, especially for it's price, but I really don't like the oilyness of it.

on 3/22/2010 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I'm currently on my third bottle, and I've no plans of stopping there! I love this make up remover, like most oil-based remover it's got the two different layers which you've got to shake before use. It removes all my eye make up, even waterproof mascara-without any form of tugging or pulling of the skin! Before I would swish it on a cotton pad three times, enough to soak it, and place it on my eye for 3 seconds. It quickly removes the make up, it does it so well that you can still see how the make up was applied, almost as if someone had drawn it on the pad.

It does have an oily feel to it, but I've experienced worse. Although I found that if you don't wash it off completely it does leave a residue that can cause dryness so much so that you can see flecks of dry skin.

My current rituals involves this being used in conjunction with Ponds make up wipes, I use half of the sheet for my face and the rest soaked with a tiny amounts of Boot MU remover then wipe the residue off with the other side.

Will continue to purchase this as the bottle is quite sturdy, I take it with me everywhere! I love the metallic cap, doesn't come off.

Highly recommend it!

on 12/16/2009 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this as a less expensive alternative to Lancome's ever so popular and well loved eye makeup remover. The label read 'removes waterproof eye makeup', but I was skeptical at first since other products that claim to do that have fallen short on results. Well, I give this one a huge 2 thumbs up! I only wear waterproof mascara and black eyeliner, so it's pertinent that I find something that'll easily remove them without having to scrub my eye and stretch the delicate skin. This product does exactly that and exactly replicates the Lancome product minus the hefty price tag. It doesn't leave any greasy residue. It also leaves the skin around my eye feeling silky soft. I will definitely repurchase this in the future!