December 22, 2014 | 882 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - the microdelivery exfoliating wash

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2013 1:53:00 PM More reviews by TurtleMoon

I've had good and bad experiences with the Philosophy skincare range; their 'hope in a jar' face cream made me want to reach for the sick bucket it smelt soooo bad, whilst their 'purity made simple' cleanser was a much pleasanter product and one which I've since repurchased. Thankfully this product falls into the latter category and as with 'purity' I've since repurchased a full sized bottle after using a sample which I got free (with 'purity').

First off this is super easy to use - squirt a bit in the palm of your hand, rub it into your face concentrating on those bits that really need exfoliating (mine are my nose and chin), then wash off. It's coarse, but not too coarse and does leave my skin feeling much softer after use. And as the packaging states, it's gentle enough to use daily should you wish to.

The scent of this, as with other Philosophy products, isn't that great. To me it smells a bit plasticky but as it only lasts for as long as you're exfoliating your face, it's not a huge issue. Plus, as someone with sensitive skin, I was very pleased to see that it didn't break me out or leave me with sore skin.

This isn't cheap - a 240ml bottle will set you back 22.00GBP - but it does last quite a long time especially when you're only using it once or twice a week like I do, so in the long run it pays for itself.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2013 12:53:00 AM More reviews by Sandy1213

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this stuff I use it every other day... My skin is so sensitive that I would rather do it every other instead of everyday,.. But it does it's job I've had a lot of people tell me my skin looks brighter.. I never realized how good exfoliating could be for your skin! This is an amazing product and I recommend to anyone.. I have oily sensitive acne prone skin... I gave it four lipsticks instead of 5 because this stuff stinks!! Lol and it's been torture since I have been pregnant I have to hold my nose because ill barf if I don't! Lol.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2013 11:34:00 PM More reviews by Sonne82

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this exfoliator for about 8 months and absolutely love it. It's gentle, non-irritating, not over-drying and it doesn't cause more break-outs. I use it every other day, sometimes daily and it really takes the dead skin cells off and my face looks fresh and squeaky clean. I found when I use a washcloth when washing off the exfoliator it doesn't leave a film on my skin and really takes everything off. As long as it works this well, I will continue buying this!!

UPDATE
Even though I still love this product I have to say that it is quite annoying that about half way through the bottle (I buy the large size) there are NO grits/grains in this cleanser - what comes out of the bottle is a plain cleanser (nothing in it to exfoliate with). I've returned it twice already to Sephora for this reason, I am surprised that nobody else has had this experience - it doesn't say on the bottle that you have to shake it before each use, so therefore you should expect the entire bottle should contain the same exfoliant. I find this very odd, but since I've read other reviews on natural exfoliators I am now using sugar to compensate for the missing grains, which works great! At least I don't have to return the 3rd bottle and still can use up what is left in it. For this reason I took off one lippie.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 11:46:00 AM More reviews by ChristinV11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this in conjunction with Purity Cleanser by Philosophy....I feel the exfoliating wash alone is not enough to remove all my makeup but when used after cleansing it's a great combo. I ave oily/acne prone skin that is typically sensitive however I wanted to prevent aging...so I tried Philosophy. LOVE. I use the exfoliating wash once a day, it's a nice boost for my oily skin issues. My skin feels super clean after using both the cleanser and exfoliating wash. My only dislike is the packaging, there's no pump. Oh well. Over all I love it, I will repurchase again

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2013 10:48:00 AM More reviews by r2can2

Best daily exfoliator! I use it every other day, but it is definitely gentle yet effective enough to use it daily. Leaves my skin nice and smooth, but not dry or feeling stretched. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by mtvsux

I finally understand the love for this product. I bought a huge size of this 2 years ago and after trying it the first time i was kinda bummed i bought such a large size. But i'm such a fan of 'Purity' and the reviews for this one were so good i felt confident buying the 32 oz. I used it from time to time, still wasn't loving it, i especially did not love the scent. I do love physical exfoliators but i like them a little less sand-y feeling. But after a while of wearing a sunblock that was clogging me if i didn't wash it off immediately after getting home i started using the philowash. between the enzymes and the grains it did a great job of unclogging the sunblock and left my skin feeling sooooo smooth without feeling like a ripped all the skin off. I now love this cleanser and don't even smell it anymore. love. Oh, and i can start this on dry skin! which is great because i don't have to stand over the sink from face cleanse from start to finish, i give a pump, smooth over skin, use a regular cleaning motion, let it sit until the 30 seconds are up and then rinse off. Perfectly smooth skin without having to actually use a peel.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2013 11:11:00 AM More reviews by Fieeeh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I used this for a few months, and I liked how my skin felt afterwards, but I didn't feel like it exfoliated enough - I know it's not supposed to be like a real scrub, but I would rather just use a regular cleanser, and then the microdelivery 2 step peel a couple times a week, THAT kit does wonders to my skin!

Something I really hated about this cleanser is that the opening in the lid clogs up really fast and all the time. a pump may be better for this cleanser :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2013 10:18:00 AM More reviews by kpennock

I love this product. I use it every morning in combination with Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser and it is the magical duo for my skin. Any red spots on my face are fading faster, I have less acne, my skin feels like a baby's bottom....I love it. It is gentle and awesome. It is on the pricey side but lasts a LONG time. A pea-dime size blob is enough for your whole face and neck so an 8 oz bottle lasts me like 4-5 months. If you factor in that a normal face wash/exfoliating scrub costs you maybe 4-5 dollars but lasts maybe a month....you really aren't paying any more for this than a drugstore one, you are just using less product.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2013 10:18:00 AM More reviews by cammy84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using Philosophy's purity made simple cleanser but I needed something that was going to also remove the dead skin cells. I wasn't thrilled at the price tag when I first saw it but figured I would go ahead and try it. I was thoroughly surprised at how great of a job it did for my face.

The beads are small so you are getting a good amount. It did not leave my face red or irritated, only smooth and soft feeling. It is safe to use daily, however, I would not recommend more than once a day. I try to use it every other day and it has helped me tremendously.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2013 1:41:00 AM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Meh. This stuff is alright...if it were cheaper! But considering the outrageous pricetag which goes along with it, I say save ur hard earned moolah ladies! Ok let's see... is it a gentle exfoliator safe for everyday use? Sure, I don't see why not BUT this stuff won't remove your makeup so you have to use it as an extra step after cleansing just to get a bit of exfoliation lol. Are the ingredients working miracles here? Nope, no way! The only thing I see worth any weight here is water and apple, both of which a consumer can access for far cheaper and in much more concentrated and pure levels anyhow. Seriously now, you can grind up all types of veggies, fruits, nuts and oils to do the same thing if not work better. OR head to any drugstore, read the ingredience list and make a purchase for a fraction of the cost of Philosophy's microdelivery exfoliating wash. This stuff works better than Dove soap for me but hey, that doesn't deserve to dent my (or anyone else) pocketbook!