Make Up For Ever Duo Mat Powder foundation Powder

3.9

Talc, Dimethicone, Mica, Magnesium Stearate, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Zinc Stearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Aqua (Water), Dimethiconol, Chlorphenesin, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Lauryl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Glycerin, Dicaprylyl Ether, Phenoxyethanol, Cassia Angustifolia Extract (Cassia Angustifolia Seed Polysaccharide), Parfum (Fragrance), Gellan Gum, Polyglyceryl-2 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Ethylparaben. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 10/26/2013 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

*****EDIT***** So I am changing my answer to "No" for purchasing this product again. This is because I think I was so excited at how well this foundation covered, felt, looked, lasted etc. that I denied that it just was not the right color for me (in my original review I mentioned that the color was a little dark). After a long love affair with theis foundation, I decided to end the relationship because I really did not like the color match:( If this product was offered in more variety for pale/fair skin tones, I would definitely repurchase.
******************************************************************************************************************

I am so beyond surprised at how well this powder works for me. I bought it off a whim after seeing the pretty great reviews on here. I usually like to do more research on makeup before I purchase them (especially when it is expensive) but I decided to just go for it- and I am so happy that I did.

My skin type is very oily, acne prone, and I have a lot of reddness on my face. I bought the powder in color 200, which is a tad too dark for my pale-ish skin but it is not enough of a difference to look unwearable. I highly recommend trying the colors in the store to find your best match. Unfortunately, girls with paler skin may have a difficult time because the colors that I saw do not accommodate for very light skin tones.

The first time I used this product, I applied it with an EcoTools powder brush (the next application I used the EcoTools flattop buffing brush and this has been way better than the powder brush!). I lightly presses the brush into the pressed powder to get a little bit of powder on the brush (DO NOT swirl your brush heavily on the powder or you will get waaaaay too much and waste product- a little goes a very long way with this stuff!!) and would press the brush in sections on my skin rather than buffing it in. For me, this gave me more coverage without using too much of the powder.

The result are great! This powder did an amazing and better than expected job at covering my reddness and evening out my skin tone. It also has surprising lasting power, though I also use MAC's Blot Powder in order to prolong the longevity of my makeup. Also, when I would use my liquid foundation prior to trying this powder, I always had issues with the foundation fading/cracking/just looking and feeling weird around my mouth and chin area- this would drive me insane. Thankfully, I do not experience that problem with this powder and it makes me sooo happy:)

The downsides to this product-- the price for this ($34-36 USD) is very high to me for the amount of powder you get. Though you do not need a lot of powder to achieve great result with each use, the price still is high. Also, I have to make sure to blot my face of oiliness or else the powder can look cakey.

So in summary after I just ranted about this:
If you are looking for a powder foundation that can achieve light/awesome medium coverage without the heaviness of a liquid foundation, then I highly recommend this product! It has not broken me out and gives me enough coverage to hide my reddness and look great for everyday use! :)

HG of powder foundations, just hard to find the right color. I had to go through 3 of these to find the right shade due to oxidization. Rule of thumb, don't go for your exact match, go one shade lighter.

Since I found the right shade, I love it. It's so easy to apply. For a big night out I will use a mineral primer by Tarte plus the HD liquid foundation, maybe a little dusting of this on top if needed. On a regular day, I use this. Getting ready is a snap and you can layer it up to cover blemishes.

Love the many uses of this product, it's all about the application. You can use it as a foundation, setting powder, even concealer. I found this product after falling in love with the blush (pretty much the same thing only in dark tawny shades). Try that too! You'll love it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I've never been a huge fan of powder foundations because I had very problematic skin for a long time and wanted full coverage.So I was using this powder to set my liquid foundations. Recently my skin has calmed down(less frequent breakouts and scarring has faded..thank you Vitamin D!) and so I don't feel the need to put on such a thick layer to cover blemishes. I continued using this powder, but just as my main foundation (shade 207) and I am absolutely in love with it. My first compact lasted me almost a year! After I finished my first one, I tried to use the revlon colorstay powder as a replacement but it just isn't the same. This foundation gives great coverage, I would say almost full and lasts at least 8+ hours (with primer) I wore this foundation while I was living in Brazil (think heat and lots if sweating) and it never failed me. I also have sensitive skin, I break out easily from new products and I have yet to break out from this formula. I can buff on as much of it as I want and it never looks chalky or fake on my skin. I usually use a brush or if i'm in a hurry I'll use the sponge it comes with. I also find it gives my skin a lot of clarity and something of a healthy glow that I think is lacking in other powder foundations, that just 'cover' if you know what I mean.
I've loved my transition from liquid to powder, it feels so light on my skin but I know my skin also looks great with this powder on so I'm not sacrificing anything. I will continue to buy it(if it gets discontinued I'll have to stock up!) because I really can't imagine buying a different product.

Love this stuff. I have been using it for about 5 years now and every time I try to switch (I like to always try new foundations power/liquid) I always end up coming back to this! Full coverage, doesn't dry out my skin, lasts and lasts through the day.

on 7/11/2013 9:57:00 PM

LOVELOVELOVE.
*Cries that it's being discontinued*

This is seriously the best powders I've used. And for once, the sponge that it comes with actually works!
The color is spot on. I am NC30 in MAC and I use shade 203 on top of my liquid.
I love that this makeup is the perfect balance of matte and glowy. It makes my skin look healthy.

Anyway, it is being discontinued. Time for another search!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

I can't believe I haven't written a review for this powder yet. I am a powder foundation aficionado. I do not like wearing liquid foundations, so I am always on the hunt for the 'perfect' powder. I have tried many high end (Chanel, Lancome, Mac, etc) and drugstore (Revlon, Maybelline, etc), but this one is the best. It's fairly full coverage (I don't think any powder will be completely full coverage), but it never looks cakey or powdery on me. I can apply layers and layers of powder and it never gets too heavy. I can also wear a light layer of this over liquid foundations and it will set it for the entire day. It's the most oil/sweat resistant powder I've tried; I especially reach for this on hot days and/or I know I'll be wearing my makeup for most of the day. I am an NC42-44 in MAC and wear this powder in the shade 207. It doesn't oxidize. Overall, this is an excellent powder that I hope doesn't ever go away!

on 4/9/2013 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I have gone through one of these and am currently on my second compact. Of all the powder foundations I have tried, this is one that I will continue repurchasing because I just love it. I have tried MAC studio fix, MAC lightful and Chanel's Mat Lumiere and none has come close to the staying power of this foundation. As I live in a humid country, makeup slides off and oxidises easily but not with this.

The coverage is also great, it can be build up from medium to full coverage depending on the tools you use. I use the sephora #45 mineral powder brush to buff this on my face and it provides the coverage I need without any concealer.

The only complains I have with this is that its $70 a pop her in Singapore's sephora which is so freaking expensive, Its even more expensive than Chanel which is ridiculous and I'm not too fond of the packaging because of the weird mirror. Due to the price, I'm ordering it online as it is much cheaper. I'm NC 30 and I wear 203 which is a great match for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Was a 10+ year user of MAC Studio Fix, but numerous re-colorings/shadings and changes to the line had left me without a shade that worked well for me. I was recommended this product just over a year ago, and I love love love it! Covers beautifully, but not too heavy, and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. Being in my (late) thirties, I do need a bit of coverage, but nothing crazy. Using a kabuki brush doesn't give me enough coverage, but using the provided sponge is perfect. Accompanying sponge is a good quality. Two negatives: it doesn't last anywhere near as long as the Studio Fix (about half), an second, my local Sephora is no longer carrying this product, and has instead switched over to the ProFinish line, which I am not -as- thrilled with.

on 2/28/2013 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

This is just ok for me. I'm NC44ish in MAC and wear 214 in this. I find that I have to be careful with it and apply it lightly (I prefer a sponge) or it will definitely be orangey looking. Three hours later I find that I need to use blotting sheets in my T-zone area. I'd like to try the new Pro powder next. I'm not in love enough with this to repurchase it.

on 1/26/2013 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Note that this is a review for the old duo mat, not for the new pro formula that can be used wet or dry. I'm Asian, around NC25, and I'm shade 202 in duo mat.

This foundation is absolutely wonderful for those with oily skin. I tend to favour powder foundations in general because of the oiliness, but this one is especially great because it doesn't oxidize, which is a big deal for me. EVERYTHING oxidizes on my face. See my review on Shu Uemura's hard9 brow pencils.

In addition to not oxidizing, as my face gets oilier throughout the day, this foundation manages to make me look dewy instead of patchy and disgusting like a used napkin. I have yet to come across another foundation that does this. I can get through a whole day of work without the need to reapply, and only need touch-ups if I'm going out at night after work.

The only complaint I have is that there is no indent or groove on the package to help you pry it open. It's magnetically sealed, but the sealed edges are perfectly smooth, and sometimes when my hands are slippery (esp right after using lotion) I have a hard time prying it open. But that's a minor complaint.

I started off using a fluffy face brush, and thought the coverage was too sheer, which is not what I wanted - I was looking for medium coverage. In fact, I never quite understood the idea of sheer coverage foundation, if you already have perfect skin, why bother with foundation at all? Just use a tinted moisturizer or something. To achieve medium coverage, I actually apply the powder with the sponge that comes with the case. Just get powder onto sponge, then dab into skin - dab, don't swipe. I don't bother wetting the sponge first and I wash the sponge whenever I wash my brushes, it's lasted fine. Just make sure to get a shade that matches your skin perfectly, that way when you accidentally use too much (which can happen when using sponge instead of brush), it won't show as cakey. For those of you who think the coverage of this foundation is too sheer - try the sponge! What have you got to lose?