August 1, 2014 | 1245 users online

Powder - Make Up For Ever - Duo Mat Powder foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by madcancer7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

I have gone through one of these and am currently on my second compact. Of all the powder foundations I have tried, this is one that I will continue repurchasing because I just love it. I have tried MAC studio fix, MAC lightful and Chanel's Mat Lumiere and none has come close to the staying power of this foundation. As I live in a humid country, makeup slides off and oxidises easily but not with this.

The coverage is also great, it can be build up from medium to full coverage depending on the tools you use. I use the sephora #45 mineral powder brush to buff this on my face and it provides the coverage I need without any concealer.

The only complains I have with this is that its $70 a pop her in Singapore's sephora which is so freaking expensive, Its even more expensive than Chanel which is ridiculous and I'm not too fond of the packaging because of the weird mirror. Due to the price, I'm ordering it online as it is much cheaper. I'm NC 30 and I wear 203 which is a great match for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by RagDollDance

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Was a 10+ year user of MAC Studio Fix, but numerous re-colorings/shadings and changes to the line had left me without a shade that worked well for me. I was recommended this product just over a year ago, and I love love love it! Covers beautifully, but not too heavy, and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. Being in my (late) thirties, I do need a bit of coverage, but nothing crazy. Using a kabuki brush doesn't give me enough coverage, but using the provided sponge is perfect. Accompanying sponge is a good quality. Two negatives: it doesn't last anywhere near as long as the Studio Fix (about half), an second, my local Sephora is no longer carrying this product, and has instead switched over to the ProFinish line, which I am not -as- thrilled with.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2013 9:18:00 AM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is just ok for me. I'm NC44ish in MAC and wear 214 in this. I find that I have to be careful with it and apply it lightly (I prefer a sponge) or it will definitely be orangey looking. Three hours later I find that I need to use blotting sheets in my T-zone area. I'd like to try the new Pro powder next. I'm not in love enough with this to repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2013 8:46:00 PM More reviews by zookeepered

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Note that this is a review for the old duo mat, not for the new pro formula that can be used wet or dry. I'm Asian, around NC25, and I'm shade 202 in duo mat.

This foundation is absolutely wonderful for those with oily skin. I tend to favour powder foundations in general because of the oiliness, but this one is especially great because it doesn't oxidize, which is a big deal for me. EVERYTHING oxidizes on my face. See my review on Shu Uemura's hard9 brow pencils.

In addition to not oxidizing, as my face gets oilier throughout the day, this foundation manages to make me look dewy instead of patchy and disgusting like a used napkin. I have yet to come across another foundation that does this. I can get through a whole day of work without the need to reapply, and only need touch-ups if I'm going out at night after work.

The only complaint I have is that there is no indent or groove on the package to help you pry it open. It's magnetically sealed, but the sealed edges are perfectly smooth, and sometimes when my hands are slippery (esp right after using lotion) I have a hard time prying it open. But that's a minor complaint.

I started off using a fluffy face brush, and thought the coverage was too sheer, which is not what I wanted - I was looking for medium coverage. In fact, I never quite understood the idea of sheer coverage foundation, if you already have perfect skin, why bother with foundation at all? Just use a tinted moisturizer or something. To achieve medium coverage, I actually apply the powder with the sponge that comes with the case. Just get powder onto sponge, then dab into skin - dab, don't swipe. I don't bother wetting the sponge first and I wash the sponge whenever I wash my brushes, it's lasted fine. Just make sure to get a shade that matches your skin perfectly, that way when you accidentally use too much (which can happen when using sponge instead of brush), it won't show as cakey. For those of you who think the coverage of this foundation is too sheer - try the sponge! What have you got to lose?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by ilalmich

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This has really worked well for me. It has NOT made my skin breakout (and I'm pregnant!) and it really covers well. The sponge it comes with is good (not as luscious as the Shiseido sponge though) and you can use it if you want more coverage. I also use this with a kubuki brush when I don't need as much coverage. The mirror covers about 3/4 of the compact, so I guess it could be bigger, but when I've been on the go I've used it to do my full makeup and managed just fine. The price is also not too bad. Before this I was using the Gorgio Armani compact foundation and I also really liked that, but it was insanely expensive. Especially because I moved to Canada from the USA and EVERYTHING is so much more expensive here. So, all in all, I highly recommend this!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by brokegrad

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this product. It is definitely worth the price. It photographs beautifully, and looks great in person. I recommend this to all my friends and have been using it for years.

The only problem with this product (which really is just a preference issue) is that I'm starting to enjoy applying foundation with a wet sponge, which you can't do with this product. The duo mat has to be applied dry. But, other than that, it's still a great great product!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2013 1:09:00 PM More reviews by eversojenny

MAC SFF/Powder: NC35/C35
MUFE Mat Velvet+: 40
MUFE HD: 123/127
MUFE Duo Mat: 203/207
Lancome TIU 24H: 320 Bisque W/410 Bisque W
___________________________________________________
I like that the powder is fine and not at all chalky. Product doesn't settle everrrrywhere- just around the rim of the packaging. You can tell by one swipe of the finger that it's very opaque. Therefore, you can get a good amount of coverage with the correct type of brush.

I've worn it through sweaty gym workouts, fog, (heavy, random, totally unexpected) rain and through sunny days. When used as the main foundation, something I really don't like about Duo Mat is that it has no oil control. Regardless of how often I blot my face, I always end up an oil slick. Personally, I find that it works best as a setting powder over liquid foundation and tinted moisturizer (for those lazy days). Its opacity, gives liquid foundation that extra oomph in staying power and looks vivid in photos.

In terms of longevity, I'd say that this foundation lasts about 4-5 hours on bare skin before oil peeks through. Over primer or a tinted moisturizer, the staying power lasts around 7-8 hours. Not bad. Of course, when you take into consideration weather, the wear vary. Through wet weather under primer or tinted moisturizer, it lasts 5-6 hours and you better believe you need to blot (even if you're not normally oily, like I am).

Pros:
- great for everyday use
- color match is great
- matte finish
- transfer resistant
- photographs well

Cons:
- must be worn with a primer or tinted moisturizer
- no oil control
- packaging attracts fingerprints

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 4:57:00 PM More reviews by glowww333

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I will not repurchase because powder foundations do not work for me. I have a lot of very very fine hairs on my face and powder foundation just goes on top of them and I look like I have flour on my face ;) however, this is a great product, I still use it on top of my liquid foundation when I want extra strong hold (all day events). It is smooth, pigmented and not chalky. If powder foundations are your thing, I for sure recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 2:06:00 PM More reviews by domisol

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is amazing when used as a setting powder on top of your favorite foundation. It keeps shine at bay for hours! I use a powder brush and apply a light coat over my foundation. Flawless and Shine-free. It lasts forever and it is worth every penny of the $34.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 1:12:00 PM More reviews by annie108

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This powder foundation works really well for me. I apply with a kabuki brush and usually use it on top of moisturizer and BB cream (skin79 pink label). This leaves me with matte but not dry skin with an even skintine that still looks natural. In a pinch I can use it alone and apply with the sponge, but that gives a heavier, drier finish. I have pretty sensitive and very acne-prone skin, and this doesn't irritate me or clog my pores at all.

This lasts through the workday for me, but if I'm going out in the evening I do need to touch it up, especially on my forehead. Shade 200 is perfect for my pale, peachy skin.

The only negative to me is that I blow through this soooo fast. I use it up much faster than any of my other products. It's expensive to start with, so frequent repurchasing is painful, but it's worth it to me for the effect it gives.