October 25, 2014 | 1621 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2011 4:57:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

I had this for 2 years, the quality is not bad, since I don't have allergy issue with it. I can't comment on being itchy on my skin. Although I wish its not shimmery (slightly), its the colour selection that bugs me the most. I am NC30-35 and all the colours are either too pink & orangy, the SA was very helpful and I already exchange it once, now I am stuck with ML80. I will save it as a hightlighter, definitely will not use it as an all over fdn.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by prettyinpink88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Best mineral foundation I have used. Use it in the summer and it works perfect for the hot and humid days. The product seems to last me at least a year. I am now on my 3rd jar.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2010 7:15:00 AM More reviews by smdaigle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I have combination skin - oily in the T-Zone but fairly dry everywhere else. When I first tried this foundation I found it to get very oily early in the day and felt awful. It looked good at first but by noon it was bad. Then I decided to try putting my other foundation on first - LUXIVA Ultra Powder Foundation. The Ultra Powder foundation takes care of the oil and the Minerals provide great coverage and a nice finish. I'd rather do it all in one step but after years and years of one bad foundation after another, I'm very happy to have something that works.
(I used to use the Ultra Powder alone and while it was the best I'd found, it was still just short of the coverage I wanted without being cakey or too heavy).

My skin color is medium with a lot of redness. The MUAs always try to put me in darker shades but I've found with the Merle Norman foundations I go with the lightest foundation with a pink base. The oil in my skin seems to change the color and by the time I leave the house my foundation color is perfect. I use L10 in this one.

The nice thing about the minerals foundation is that you can easily mix it to adjust the shade. I mix my L10 with ML40 in the summer months when my skin is a little darker.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2010 10:19:00 PM More reviews by brookej1989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Okay so I started wearing this powder when I worked at Merle Norman. I loved this product forever and would probably still wear it...but I have moved on lol. It gives a really nice flawless glowy look and doesn't break out my face. The only problem I started to have was all the sparkle/glitter that is in it..it got to be a little too much for me. This stuff lasts forever though, you get a lot for your money. (I paid $32 for a nice size jar) I got my mom and sister using it as well but they also complained about the glitter in it, espeically my mom. It also broke out my sister's face. I'd still use this product and do love it. The jar is a little big to carry around though. One of the best mineral powder's I've tried! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by taranaswell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This mineral powder is Great for a Purely Mineral Powder. Don't be fooled with imitations out there they pretend to be all Mineral but they are only Mineral Based. They have other products in them that are not mineral... read the ingredients. Do not use this mineral powder if you have oily skin it is only good for Dry, Normal to Dry and Sensitive Skin.If your skin is oily you need Talc to control the oil and The Merle Norman Flawless Powder or Ultra Powder Foundation (for more coverage) will do this. Determine your skin type before going into any mineral based makeups.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2010 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Mystyre

This was disappointing for me. I bought it based on the awesome reviews here and because I wanted to try a mineral makeup. My skin is ok; no real scars or blemishes to hide, but it's not all that even in tone.
When I first applied this product, my skin looked amazing. Natural, yet flawless. I was stunned. Until I went into my bedroom and looked at it in daylight. Yep. My skin was twinkling. I thought perhaps I could ignore that unfortunate effect, if it kept me looking gorgeous all day. Unfortunately, a couple hours later I looked like a greaseball. Yuck. My face was shiny and the coverage had become patchy. Not flattering at all.
I tried this foundation on multiple occasions and it just won't work for me. On the plus side, the match (ML40) was dead on and you get a huge amount of product for your money. I think the only time I would use this was if I was getting pictures done, and only if those pictures would take less than half an hour.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2010 8:19:00 AM More reviews by Skim829

I was shopping around for a mineral based makeup. So I went out and bout the BE starter kit along with the Merle Norman's mineral makeup. I am Asian and have a natural yellow base skin tone. I've used BE before around 5 years ago and I loved it. Then I ran out and decided to explore around.

I did my makeup and used BE product on half my face and used Merle Norman's mineral makeup along with their pressed mineral bronzer. Then I asked my boyfriend to be the judge of which side he liked better. He did not know what I used on which side. He ended up picking the side I used the BE on. According to him, the side on which I used the Merle Norman was too sparkly and the BE side looked a lot more natural for my skin tone.

I have to agree with him that Merle Norman's mineral make up is a bit too sparkly/glittery for my taste. According to previous reviews about Merle Norman's mineral makeup, most people have said that it was not glittery when they applied it. But when I did, it was a lot more glittery than BE's mineral makeup. I am sticking to my BE starter's kit and taking back the Merle Norman's mineral makeup along with the bronzer.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2010 6:56:00 PM More reviews by sassymiss

Best Mineral Powder on the market! I have tried others. No one has a package this large with this quality for the money. If you don't have a store close to where you live, go to the website for Merle Norman and find one! It is worth it to get this brand. You will be amazed at how this looks and wears. I couldn't believe my skin looked so great.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2010 8:52:00 PM More reviews by MissVon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For People that complain about the finish, all mineral makeups are made to give a LUMINOUS Finish! so If you are oily and like a Matte finish, you will not like ANY mineral makeup! A matte finish comes from a product containing talc and mineral makeups (most) do not contain talc. Do your homework beforehand!

Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup (loose and pressed)
FEATURES & BENEFITS
• Zinc Oxide- Helps protect the skin from the damaging effects of the environment.
• Titanium Dioxide- Helps protect skin and imparts a luminous sheen.
• Free of preservatives, talc, oil and fragrance. Ideal for all skin types, especially those with sensitive skin who like a luminous finish.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2010 11:52:00 PM More reviews by acadia18

Let's start out with the complaints:
-I only found out about this brand because of MUA and only took the initiative to try it because they had a store in a mall nearby. I've never seen it in a bigger store, which will probably prove to be a problem if I ever move.
-It took me three visits to get the correct shade. Because I'm asian, I feel like the sales-reps just gave me the only shade they carry with a yellow under-tone. When I went back because I thought what they gave me was too light, she insisted it was because I wasn't "buffing it into my skin enough." Went home and tried it multiple ways, still didn't work. Went back to the store and INSISTED that I tried the next shade up and it was PERFECT.

Why I use this:
-I had previously used BE mineral foundations, until I found this one. Unlike BE, this foundation doesn't make my skin break out (with proper face-washing of course) and feels SO much softer on my skin than BE does. If you read my review on BE, I mention that BE makes my skin look really pale in pictures; not so with this foundation. Granted, I've only tried these two foundations and I really wish it were cheaper, but it works, so I'm sticking with it.

Other comments:
-You may be appalled by the intense shimmer the foundation has in the tub, but I never see any ounce of glitter on my face. I have no idea where it goes, but that's okay.
-If you're a young person, don't be turned off that everybody in the store is kind of on the older side.