November 26, 2014 | 1450 users online

Fragrances - Valentino - Rock n Rose

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2008 1:24:00 AM More reviews by alohacarol

i don't get people who wrote bad reviews on perfume.
okay i get people who write bad reviews on makeup (I do too) because it's something you can't try on until you buy it.

I understand giving bad ratings on perfume if it is about how long it lasts.. but how it smells.. c'mon.
don't we all test it before we buy perfumes?

i tested rock n rose and loved it.
i sniffed rock n rose in magazines and still loved it.
i bought it and now I wear it and I still love it.
I do not "magically" hate this perfume since the day I bought it.

Yes the lasting power may not be the strongest but I feel like most of the perfumes are like that. If you put your wrist infront of your nose you do smell the scent hours later.. but it does not obnoxiously stink the elevator when you enter in.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2008 3:08:00 PM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My first thought on ROCK N ROSE was “It smells like bubblegum”. Lightly fruity & quite sweet. It’s pleasant & easy to wear.

The floral notes are hidden under the fruit. With the word ‘rose’ in the name, I expected to be able to smell roses; no such luck. The vanilla & musk base doesn’t excite me either. The lasting power isn’t all that great.

This fragrance is nice & I do like to wear it. Plus, it’s inoffensive to work colleges & friends. But, however, it doesn’t have that mysterious ‘something’ that would make me re-buy it.

Scent notes: Bergamot, black currant, crunch green (apples?), orange blossom, gardenia, muguet, rose, sandalwood, orris, musky notes, vanilla, and heliotrope.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 8:59:00 AM More reviews by vanessa713

I got a 30 ml bottle of Valentino Rock 'N Rose in the eau de parfum formula for Christmas from a good friend. She said that the title, Rock 'N Rose, reminded her of me because she knows I'm always rocking out to classic rock music. It's true - I'm rarely without music playing whether I'm at work, in the car or at home. But this fragrance is not very rockin' for me.

Valentino Rock 'N Rose is an eau de parfum spray, meaning that it has a stronger concentration of fragrance oil than a cologne or an eau de toilette, thus making it longer-lasting when applied. This scent comes in a 30 ml non-aerosol spray bottle made from clear glass. The bottle is quite heavy for its size. The cap is black and silver chrome. The bottle is cute and looks nice sitting on my dresser. There's something about it that reminds me of the 80's but I'm not sure what it is.

The fragrance notes in Rock 'N Rose are: Bergamot, Black Currant, Crunch Green, Orange Blossom, Gardenia, Muguet, Rose, Sandalwood, Orris, Musky Notes, Vanilla and Heliotrope.
"A fragrance inspired by the modern woman, who combines a rock 'n roll attitude with elegance and style - she is a rose on the outside and a rocker on the inside. Rock 'n Rose strikes the perfect balance between edgy modernity and Valentino's elegance and tradition."

Ingredients (taken from packaging):
Alcohol denat., fragrance, water, benzophenone-2, propylene glycol, methylparaben, butylphenyl methylpropional, benzyl salicylate, hexyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellal, alpha-isomethyl ionone, limonene, linalool, geraniol, farnesol, benzyl benzoate, benzyl alcohol, benzyl cinnamate, citronellol, red 33, ext. violet 2.

I had seen the Rock 'N Rose scent advertised in magazines and had read a few things about it on the internet. I did wonder what it smelled like, because anything with a reference to rock 'n roll is going to get my attention. Unfortunately, my pleasant feelings ended when I actually wore this perfume for the first time. I can't believe how incredibly boring this scent is. For starters, I'm not a floral person. My friend doesn't really know that, though, because I don't think we've ever discussed perfume. But if a floral scent is light on or completely free of notes of lilac, lily, orchid, gardenia and freesia and heavier on other floral notes, I can probably handle it. If there's some fruit or vanilla notes mixed in, it could be good. Rock 'N Rose is really heavy on the rose note and short on much else.

Smelling Rock 'N Rose as soon as it's applied, it smells like a mixture of rose and something else. But the "something else" isn't all that pleasant. It comes off as very old lady-ish. It reminds me of something that one of my grandmas would have worn many years ago. I can tell that there are other floral notes, but I can't detect what they are and I can't detect the vanilla or black currant. I don't really smell the musk or sandalwood either. Honestly, it just smells like a cheap, drugstore fragrance or something that Avon would have put out in the 1960's, I'm guessing.

I wore Rock 'N Rose several times, trying to figure out why I didn't like it. I finally had to admit that this scent is just boring and..well, bad. As for the lasting power of this scent, it doesn't really last. It needed to be re-applied at least every four hours, as I couldn't smell it on myself after about half a day.

So Valentino wanted the Rock 'N Rose scent to be edgy and modern yet elegant and traditional. I would say it's definitely not edgy or modern and I'm thinking it's not even elegant or traditional. I realize that it's probably hard to make a fragrance that encompasses all of those adjectives (edgy, modern, elegant, traditional) - but a basic, boring rose scent is not going to reflect ANY of those words.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2008 8:02:00 PM More reviews by sm89

Absolutely loved! Smells clean, floraly, and sophisticated. Got this with the shower gel, smells great. Would definitely recommend. The scent did not linger on all day but hey, it does stay on for quite a while.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2008 12:59:00 PM More reviews by Orgasm

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I fell in love with this! <3 I first tried it out since I was drawn by the ads and all and as soon as I smelled it, I convinced my mom to buy it on the same day I tried it. The smell gives off a sexy vibe, and is gentle too. It lifts my mood up in an instant. My boyfriend loves it as well, and just can't stop sniffing my neck. I would definately buy this again.

EDIT: This used to be my signature but since the first bottle was done, I decided to find a new scent - after buying three perfume bottles, I've decided to come back to this. This perfume is a scent in which words can't even describe! The rose doesn't give away an "old lady" scent which I've found in most other rose scented perfumes. It's classy, mysterious and sensual. I think I'm able to pull this off for the whole year. I'm not a fan of sweet, fruity smelling perfumes - they all give me headaches! This one is definately different.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2008 1:46:00 AM More reviews by samaraiv

i loved the scent of this perfume, it's strong but not so overpowering.it has the latest trend in the scents world, since most of the new perfumes have similar scent to this perfume (like ch from carolina herrera).
but in general this perfume is lovely, and any woman will enjoy wearing it.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/26/2008 1:45:00 PM More reviews by rebel_zionfire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is not your grandmother's rose perfume. I've been on the lookout for a youthful rose fragrance for a while now and this is it! It may not have the extreme edge one would expect from the name and marketing but it is a lovely and different rose nonetheless. When I first tried it I was with my husband shopping. He actually stopped and smelled my wrist to make sure that was the wonderful scent he kept smelling. I do have to take off a point since, like another reviewer, it has taken on a bit of a yellow color after some time. It still smells the same so I'll just have to assume it's from the fact that I keep it on my bathroom vanity instead of in a dark closet. EDIT : As my nose has grown more sophisticated I've come to realize that this is quite generic and uninspired compared to the many other rose fragrances out there. It's just not something I reach for now that I've discovered the beauty of Rosines.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2008 8:00:00 AM More reviews by Eva16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was ill in hospital (picked up an infection after having my tonsils out...worst pain of my life!) so a family friend gave me this eau de toilete as a gift.

I got the small size - & regardless of its small capacity, the bottle has lasted quite a while (I still have 3/4 left despite having this for 1 year).

The smell of this is very rosey, but I really am not too keen on it. Firstly, I don't like the smell of roses. Secondly, it is just too overpowering.

Lasting power is great; although I'm not 100% thankful of this as I don't like the smell. The only time I use this is when I'm running low on my other perfumes & I'm trying to save them for special occasions, so I whip rock n rose out just to give me a smell before I leave the house.

I won't repurchase this as it smells like artificial rose & is way too overpowering for my taste.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2008 12:37:00 AM More reviews by eiviz

I expected way too more from this product. I was really dissapointed when I sniffed it. The ad in magazines was very beautiful and the bottle is also beautiful, but the scent itself is really bad. As it dries down, it goes a little better, but not notably.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2008 3:37:00 PM More reviews by aveyoubeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this perfume. I wear it during the day, especially in spring and summer. It is light and feminine and clean.