Differin Gel

on 5/2/2013 12:28:00 PM

I'm 28 and I've had acne since I was a teenager. I've used differin on and off again throughout my adult life, but now I don't know why I ever went off it. Recently, my acne started getting so bad so I went back to my doctor and he gave me another prescription for diffferin gel .1%. For me, generic medication is $10 with my insurance so that was fine.

I've been on differin for the last 8 weeks, and the initial breakouts were terrible. I was soooo depressed about it and very frustrated but I kept reading online how this will happen and you just have to be patient with this product. So I kept going, even though my face looked unbelievably awful and there was no way I could go a day without wearing makeup.

Finally, this last week I have started to see some serious improvements. No new breakouts and my acne scars seem to be healing a bit. I also added over the counter benzoyl peroxide in the morning to help. My skin is a bit dry, but whatever. I'll take dry skin over acne any day.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much more my skin improves in the next 2-4 months. I would definitely recommend this product but only if you are looking for a long-term solution. The 4-12 weeks you have to wait to see changes can seriously feel like a life time.

on 4/24/2013 6:02:00 AM

So pissed. I went to Differin because after I stopped Benzoyl Peroxide (the whole Acne.org thing), then went back to it, my skin somehow couldn't handle it anymore. I knew there would be flaking and redness while using Differin, but at least BP actually DID something to my acne - this has done absolutely nothing and I've been using it consistently for months. Today I got Epiduo from my doctor, let's hope this works out better..

on 4/9/2013 6:06:00 AM

UPDATE: So I couldn't help but give this product one last shot after writing that review! LOL! And I am glad I did. I use it every other night, and I don't seem to have the extreme flaking reaction to it or the sensitivity. I guess I was using it too often. I will continue to see how my skin reacts, but so far, so good.

I have mixed feeling about this product. I think I could have given it a higher rating if I could have tolerated it better, but I don't necessarily think that that is the product's fault.

First, it definitely cleared my cystic acne. Good job! It also clear my blackheads, whiteheads, etc.

Second, it REALLY irritated my skin, causing such severe peeling and flaking, I looked like I had a flake goatee by 10 am!

Third, the skin under my flake goatee was BEAUTIFUL and glowing! However, it also flaked off :(. I just couldn't get through all the flaking and irritation, so I eventually discontinued use. That's why it only got three lippies, that might be unfair, but it is what it is.

I wouldn't try this again, but I do recommend others trying it, because if you can tolerate it, it is worth it.

I got the generic kind and I have really excellent prescription drug coverage for generics (not so much for brand names), so I paid about $6 for it. I also got the lower 0.01% gel.

on 4/7/2013 7:50:00 PM

I've been using this about two months now and I'm still holding out for results. It's free as I live in UK so I think I may as well keep going for a while longer. I have cystic acne and it has definitely gotten worse since I've started using this. I had been on the pill for years previously which had controlled it, but since stopping my 33 year old skin has turned teenage : ( i had hoped by now i would be seeing serious results. have had no side effects either mind you. i do kinda think this may be the darkness before the dawn -skin is definitely getting smoother and spots smaller. Don't fail me Differin!!!

on 4/7/2013 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I don't know WHY or HOW it happened that in my 5 year battle with acne I learned about this product only now, but I am grateful to all people and circumstances that got me acquainted with it. I know that everybody's skin is different, and this might not be the panacea for everyone, but fellow pimple- sufferers, there IS hope! I first tried Differin in tiny sample packages of 3 grams ( three of those was enough for 3 weeks) and I never looked back. I was suffering from medium to severe acne for years and while doing so I tried everything under the sun - 75% of marketed anti-acne products, all the diets, supplements, food group eliminations, juicing, fruiting, starving, de-warming ( viva pseudo science), regular facials, peels, prescription medication topical and oral with no results to follow.
I started using Differin 3 months ago and my skin just keeps getting better ( knock on wood). No initial breakout, no redness, just some really minor peeling at the very beginning of the treatment. I eat ice cream and carbohydrates ( yes, the simple kind!:), I do not freak out about sleeping on a pillow case two nights in a row, neither am I following a fancy or complicated skin routine, and every morning I am waking up with clearer skin and this is a miracle. Please, consider this medication if nothing else worked. Good luck and healthy skin to you!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I like the gel over the lotion because i feel that it is more effective at treating acne and gets deeper into the pores. It can be very harsh on the skin when first starting but over a few months these side effects with subside. I use Kiss my Face cleanser which is natural and gentle and helps soothe irritated skin. I have been using for 6 weeks and have seen 50% improvement in my breakouts and acne scars.

DIFFERIN Cream 0.01

I typically have normal skin, I am 34, but I have cystic acne on my chin. This began at 23ish..but i think its mostly stress related.
I am generally a very healthy eater. I dont normally ever have gluten or refined sugar and the dairy I would consume would typically be considered healthy greek yogurt, or natural plain yogurt etc..you catch my drift. Although I have now for the past 1-2 months have cut it totally out. Slight difference not a whole lot.

Went to the doctor asked about accutane he said yes it works, but the acne would come back! whats the point then!! so I decided not to go ahead plus its not that severe.

I have been taking Zinc Gluconate on and off, this time it isnt working, so he gave me Differin cream its a low dose, BUT ITS WORKING :) most of the acne is coming to a head and leaving...finally! Its nice to see that my pores are being unclogged I guess..also NO peeling or redness I used it for 4-5 days straight then took a few days off just in case..and yup it looks a touch better.

I also used coconut oil and Clinque turnaround radiance renewer new and old kind I have both and Neutrogena 3in1 hyrdrating cream, bought because of beautypedia $12.99 at shoppers drug mart its not discontinued in Toronto I guess. I will probably be getting the Differin again although this is the first time in my life I didnt have benefits and I paid $130 thats crazy!:( BTW Cetaphil is made by the same company thats why they try to tell you to use it in conjunction I am assuming for some people. I don't like it, well I tried when this all started and I didnt so...ya years later now I use CeraVe. :)

on 4/2/2013 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I have always suffered with bad acne and have tried so many different medications for it benzel peroxide ect. But I went to my gp & explained how depressed my acne was making me feel and making my appearance effect my life. She suggested this gel formula, warned me it would make my skin sensitive. At first I broke out really bad and my skin was so sore I couldn't appy my foundation or primer it was a night mare. But I've used this for a year now, and I look completely different my skin is almost completely clear, scars are practically gone but still have the odd red spot or cluster of cysts that develop on my cheeks. I used elemis cleanser and apply this only to my cheeks now before I go to bed, as soon as I wake up I splash and dry my face and apply my moisturiser. At first I needed to use lots of moisturiser as my skin felt super dry, but now it's fine and I'm back to my usual beauty routine with my spots at bay. My gel came in a tube and a screw lid and its a medicine so the packaging isn't OMG IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL it's just a white tube ... !

on 2/6/2013 4:38:00 AM

I've been on differin 0.1 gel for 2 months,and it has cleared my skin a bit,but i'm getting a few more pimples in spots i never used to get them.It caused my skin to be really dry and flaky at first and i still get it a little bit.It's hard to tell if its going to completly clear my skin or not,but i've heard you have to be patient.So i'm going to keep using it for a few more months.Overall i do like differin,you just have to be patient to see results (my doctor also told me this)

on 1/21/2013 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

this product is incredible, it completely eliminated any acne on my face! I've never written a review for anything but I thought I had to as this product really is amazing. Although it takes a while to work, in the long run it works wonders! I had never had acne before until I had the mirena coil put in due to terrible periods, after about 6 months I began to get terrible cystic acne around my mouth and chin, I was getting so down about it, so i went to the doctors and was prescribed differin gel and after about 3 months (which seems a long time- believe me- but is definitely worth it) I saw dramatic improvement. Now 6 months down the line I never get any spots appearing (when everyday I used to wake up with at least 2). I have some hyper pigmentation but I can hide it with small amounts of makeup, and its disappearing daily.
So, really, I just want to make a point to anyone who feels the same as I did, having spots is really awful, and can change your personality entirely. This product is fantastic and is definitely worth the go. 10/10!

Popular Treatments (Face)