Meow Cosmetics Flawless Feline Mineral Foundation

3.8

Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Boron Nitride, Iron Oxides

on 2/28/2012 9:39:00 AM

Seeing such a low rating really surprises me on this one, so I had to stick in my 2 cents. I will start by saying I used to wear Bare Minerals, but after a couple of years I discovered I was breaking out in hives from the bismuth. I went through a glut of mineral makeups, and I landed on Aromaleigh. When they went out of business, someone suggested Meow. once I got the right shade I have been a happy camper and have turned my friends on to it as well. I have extremely sensitive skin and need full coverage...this stuff delivers! When I recently ran out I tried yet another foundation at the drug store, and proved to myself again that Meow has it down. Shipping for me has only been a few days. I ordered on a Wednesday and got it on the following Tuesday (Monday was a holiday). As for colors, you have to get samples. Small price to pay for such a great product at such a good price.

One final word, I don't think a lot of people realize how irritating bismuth is, and some think they can't wear mineral makeup when in fact it may be a sensitivity to bismuth. Meow has no bismuth, and I think they should proclaim that boldly. I had to do a lot of research and finally an email to know for sure. I'm not sure why so many high end cosmetics use bismuth, but I suspect it has to do with coverage. Few mineral makeups without it have a nice coverage, but Meow does!

on 2/6/2012 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

After realizing my beloved Chanel foundation and primer were the cause of my breakouts, I began the switch to mineral foundations. I heard good things about Meow, and I wish I tried them sooner! As I have acne scarring/pitting from my teenage years I needed something with full coverage, so I passed on Purrfect Puss. Pampered Puss is nice, but I needed to build it up to get the coverage I needed and it didn't control oil at all despite using the oily primer and Top Cat finishing powder with it. Flawless Feline is *perfect* for my needs, giving full coverage yet a natural look in one thin layer. Used together with Meow's oily primer and Top Cat finishing powder my face is flawless yet natural-looking all day long. When I *do* get oily my face is dewy, not shiny. I spritz my kabuki with rosewater during application and spritz my face when done, which is probably why I'm not getting the dry, cakey look others have mentioned. I also use a HA serum and camellia oil for my moisturizer, so I imagine that if your face were bone-dry FF may not work for you. There *is* a bit of tightness when first applied (probably from the kaolin clay) but this dissipates quickly. I did have to take a lippy off as there's a major leap between Meow's medium and medium-deep shades (the 3-5 range).

On another note, I'm unsure as to why this foundation is getting such a low rating. I can understand any allergic reactions and drying effects, but those complaining about the color matching and shipping IMO need to chill and be patient. Meow is a small indie company, not a huge international conglomerate like MAC. If you want instant gratification, this isn't where you should be looking. If you want to support a small company with great products and value for the cost, you can't get much better than Meow. As for the color matching, it's easy to figure out if you're willing to be patient, do your research, and ask for help.

EDIT 5/9/12: Had to knock another lippy off and change my re-buy status to "no". My skin's gotten a lot better so I don't need as much coverage, and with the weather getting warmer FF was making my face itch and sting like crazy. Switched to Pampered Puss and I'm perfectly happy. I did find a perfect match in PP without mixing, Slinky Manx.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

After seeing this regarded as so many people's holy grail foundation, I decided to give it a try. I ordered a ton of samples, and it took almost three weeks to receive them. None of them were a spot-on match, but Inquisitive Siamese was extremely close. I liked it enough to order a full size, though going back to their website made me realize how much I dislike the cat theme. I like kitties, and I think the names of the products themselves are cute (Feliner, Pampered Puss, etc.), but carrying that over to the foundation shades is a bit ridiculous. I want to be able to go straight to what I'm looking for, not have to click on cat breeds to see which undertones they match. Anyway, after placing my order, it was about two weeks before my foundation even shipped. I understand that happens, but I'd now invested over a month just to get my correct shade of foundation.

I really like the large size jar, and I like that I can dump some into the lid and get it on my brush from there. However, the formula just doesn't work for me. I do have some beige and pink undertones, but the corresponding foundation shades had too much of them for me. The neutral provides the best coverage, but it just don't look right on me. It does cover up what I want, but it still lets my barely-there pink undertone shine through. If I want to really tone it down, I have to apply so much foundation that it starts looking chalky/grey. I have to spend a lot of time applying it just so, so that my acne scars and red skin is covered without looking like I have a pound of powder on my face. It can be done, but I can't stand in front of the mirror for half an hour most days.

Aside from the color issue, I can get some serious discomfort from this foundation. It does itch some when I first apply it, though if I've recently put on a moisturizer, it's not as bad. However, if I sweat or if it's humid outside, I itch a LOT. The skin under my eyes will actually burn enough that I have to rinse the makeup off with water to make it stop. I live in Florida, so...yeah. That happens a lot. I know Pampered Puss is supposed to negate this problem, but it simply does not have the coverage I need.

All that said, the foundation never seemed to clog my pores, and I only need minor touch ups on my nose and chin after a couples hours of wear. I don't think that outweighs the down sides, unfortunately.

As it stands right now, I will be looking for a new foundation. I'm sure if I tried, I could find another shade that matches better. Or I could spend a long time on my makeup every day, applying a ton of concealer so I could get away with a lighter coverage formula. However, that could easily take several months since just getting a batch of samples easily takes three weeks. It's very disappointing since even after four months, I've barely made a dent in the jar. I do think I will keep it around to apply with a wet brush as a concealer, though.

on 11/21/2011 2:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The two biggest things I love about Meow Cosmetics are what it's made out of and how it matches my skin tone. Over the last couple of years, my skin has gone from being resistant to slightly sensitive. Since I wear makeup everyday for work, I decided to switch over to mineral makeup in an effort to cut down on breakouts. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the right color with Bare Escentuals. The closest I could get was the Medium Tan, but I still ended up looking pink...and kind of off. Being of Polynesian and Asian descent, it's incredibly difficult to find a foundation and powder that really looks good - not beige, but also not entirely yellow. Neutrals such as MAC's NC line is okay, but covers over rather than match my skin if that makes any sense. I can't remember how I stumbled on to Meow Cosmetics, but I absolutely love how they have such a huge selection. Buying up a range of samples, I discovered the one that was perfect for me: Manx. It's a mix of peach (not pink or beige!) and yellow, which matched perfectly with my skin. I stick with the flawless line because I like having full coverage. The coverage is excellent; it covers up my dark spots wonderfully and blends beautifully with my skin color.

Some of the downers, though, is that it can be pretty expensive to get the concealer, the primer, the finishing powder, as well as the foundation. Also, it always takes a while for my order to ship, sometimes two weeks even with paying for priority mail delivery. The latter is a bit annoying, but that's only because I tend not to plan early enough so when I order, it's cause I really need it. :) And like with any mineral cosmetics line, the whole loose powder deal is a bit inconvenient (I used to be a compact powder gal) when wanting to do touch-ups to, say, go from work to a night out. Still, it's small stuff compared to it's perfect color matching and non-irritating ingredients. I'll take that over a little inconvenience any day!

on 11/3/2011 12:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm not a new user of Meow Cosmetics, but I like to update my reviews as my feelings change about certain products. I highly applaud this company for having a VERY wide range of shades since my skin is a challenge to match. I'm warm and that can mean a lot of different things. More specifically, I'm golden, not yellow, not peach, not olive, not really golden-olive ... the list goes on and on :)

Some people may disagree with me, but I do think that Flawless Feline is a heavy coverage foundation. I made the mistake of buying this the first time around because I thought it would cut down the time in my makeup routine. However, I thought this formula was harder to work with because, well, it is heavy. Meow claims that it will feel light on the skin despite its coverage. I unfortunately could not agree with this. It's a little chalky and definitely not light feeling, though I have seen a lot worse. Because this foundation did not really look right on me, I won't repurchase this one again.

I also wanted to share a few tips for sampling foundation colors.

1) Since Flawless Feline is heavy, I think that there's less of a "leeway" when it comes to finding a perfect match. If Flawless is the coverage/finish for you, it may be a good idea to order more samples (especially in different breeds) to find the most accurate match.
2) Post or email your pic to Jen on the forum. She usually narrows it down to 3-4 different undertones that you should try.
3) If you are unsure of your undertones, order some samples in Siamese and determine how much your skin deviates from the foundation. If it looks pink, order/try warmer shades (cooler shades if it looks yellow).
4) If you *know* you are warm toned, order Chartreux first. That breed is definitely warm and definitely has some yellow. Chartreux pulled pink on me, so I knew I needed something warmer

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is seriously the BEST foundation ever! Once you get over the overwhelment of all the shades (sampling, and emailing Meow customer service is the best way to go), you'll find that you'll never look at another foundation again.

When I decided to use only natural products and mineral makeup, I looked around for liquid mineral foundation, as I thought that powder would be way too drying. After finding nothing I liked (and spending way too much $$$), I decided to try Meow. Well, I was very impressed!! It did not dry out my skin, was very cheap, and covered my pigmentation. This is a foundation I will continue to buy - though the jar is massive, so I don't envisage needing any more for quite a while!

on 9/7/2011 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

At my sweatiest and oiliest, my fndt only requires a light touch up. Better yet, it matches, has great coverage, is water resistant, and looks like skin. It also washes off like a dream.

As for color matching, it can be very confusing, but once you find your match/matches, it's worth the nearly exact match. I'm an nc15-20 and I match frisky korat/chartreux.

on 8/8/2011 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As I have extremely sensitive skin, irritated and acne prone, I have gone through a lot to find a good founation. This is the absolute best. My skin has never looked so calm, my redness almost disappeared, and my acne improved significantly. I still get occasional breakouts, but this foundation layers to cover them well. It goes on smoothly and keeps my skin from getting oily- the best I have found in terms of oil control.
I know it's hard to choose a shade- but I used the help on their forum, and the effort was more than worth it. My skin thanks me every day.
Absolutely the BEST.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

First and foremost, this foundation made my face itch, which is never a good sign. It does have decent coverage, but not "flawless" coverage. I'd say it's better than most MMU, but is far from full coverage. You still need to layer it on to cover trouble spots.

The main deterrent for me is the fact that they have SO MANY colors to choose from that it's ridiculous trying to find a match. Rather than making it easy and having cool tones, neutral tones, neutral with yellow, yellow, olive, and peach, etc., they make it so freaking complicated! And meanwhile, I've found so many matches for my skin with other MMU brands, but not a single match with meow cosmetics!

The other frustrating aspect is the fact that their "depths" don't match up. So, I placed an order with about 12 foundation samples in the "sleek" depth and some were way darker than others, while others were so much lighter. It also took 2 weeks to get my order and I'm in the U.S., so if I wanted to order more samples to try to figure out what my color is in the other "depths", it would take at least a month and a half of trying foundation shades only to be disappointed in the end.

Waste of money and the pictures on the site do not accurately depict colors, so my blush samples were a waste of money. The whole purchase was a waste of money, but we have to try to figure it out.

I've since found Lauress Ethereal and that's HG for me, for now. I've reviewed that separately.

on 6/16/2011 6:12:00 PM

I am in love with this foundation. It has AMAZING coverage... like I've never experienced before. And I don't have to layer on the coverage. One brush over my skin and it deposits a ton of pigment. The nice thing about it too is that it stays put longer than any other makeup I've used. I tried another popular mineral foundation and it didn't help in the months where you're sweating or when your face becomes an oil slick because of the temperature. It does not make me break out, it does not dry out my face, it does not fail me. They do give you a lot for your money so it's well worth it. I get the largest size they have and since you don't have to layer to get coverage, you only use a fraction and it lasts you FOREVER. The only CONS are: they have a ton of colors to choose from and it takes some detective work (and trial and error through sampling) to get the right color for your skin ~ your vanity/makeup counter will be covered in foundation dust ~ you shouldn't breathe in when applying because it will go in through your nose and mouth and eyes (it's so finely milled). I think it took me 3-4 tries to get the color right. But once you find the right shade, I hope you will rave about them just as much.