October 2, 2014 | 1499 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 5/21/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by Iampo0kie

I initially loved this foundation. It did everything a foundation was supposed to do. Covered really well (could be full coverage easily) and did not budge. The finish was UNBEATABLE. I have pretty bumpy skin and redness, and this foundation just flattened and evened everything out. And it looked like my real skin! The color range was not as wide as the HD foundation, but I still managed to find a shade that blended seamlessly. It did not accentuate my pores or dry skin as much as other foundations (it wasnt perfect, but nothing is!). The packaging was perfect! Hygienic and portable.

In the end, the foundation broke me out. The sad thing is, I kept on using it because I loved the way it looked anyway. Every time I wore it for more than 5 hours, I would discover a large swollen pimple. It sometimes gave me cysts! I'm pretty sure it was the sodium chloride in the foundation. Every other ingredient is not on the list of chemicals that break you out. Either that or it was the thickness of the foundation, that suffocated the skin. If you are not a sensitive skinned person, I definitely recommend the foundation. However, this is a warning to all breakout prone people. Please test before buying!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2014 8:26:00 PM More reviews by notaunicorn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Take my four star rating with a grain of salt - my skin type isn't the target demographic for this foundation line having rather dry and flaky skin... but I used this foundation for over 6 months thanks to it being a near perfect match for my slightly warm (product was a little on the pink side of neutral, but it worked) and very pale skin (No. 15). This product applied beautifully with a beauty blender and could easily be sheered out to a light to medium coverage (my preference). My main gripe is that it was matte... and on my dry skin it was ULTRA matte and drying. It had a tendency to settle a bit by the end of the day and to cling to any dryness in my skin. Even though it's flaws on my skin, I found ways to make it mostly wearable until I found a foundation better suited to my skin type that comes in an equally fair (and slightly warmer - yay!) shade (KGD Moisture Foundation).

My biggest gripe is the packaging - it comes in a stiff, thick, opaque plastic tube. There's virtually no way to tell how much is left aside from the changing weight of the bottle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2014 3:26:00 AM More reviews by larosedechanel

Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation is one of my very favourite foundations; it quickly became a HG product in my collection I got colour no. 70 - Caramel - for medium-deep skin with beige undertones & it’s a great shade for my skin. For reference, I wear MAC NC45. Before this, I had never used anything by MUFE; I decided to take a risk & like I said, it ended up being one of the best foundations I own.

This line has excellent shade selection. It doesn't go as far as the HD foundation, but you'll more than likely find your shade. Like it says: it's a shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation. (Most matte foundations are oil-free & full coverage, so I don't think that's special.) I have acne, my skin is oily, & my skin tone is uneven; this is what I wear when I really want/need to hide that & when I'm going to be out for a long time. The wear time is unbelievable. I'm always weary of products that claim to be water-resistant because they hardly ever are, but this does it!

I apply Mat Velvet with a damp beauty blender & apply one section of my face at a time because as it is a full coverage & matte foundation, it sets quickly. It blends well, is easy to apply, & lasts long with a primer. It's kind of easy to apply too much because a little goes a long way & you do not know it until after it's already on your face. For a full coverage foundation though, I have to say this looks really natural. It stays matte all day & doesn't break me out. While this foundation is tried-&-true, it is a bit pricey at $36. If finances aren't an issue for you, give this a try because for the quality of the makeup, it's worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2014 11:44:00 PM More reviews by Julesbar21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have acne prone skin and have been dealing with it ever since I was 15(I'm 20 now) I have deep scarring on my face and some redness. I used to get really bad cystic acne and cysts so the scars are from the deep cysts. So as a result of the scarring and redness, I never leave the house without foundation. I look for foundation that has full coverage and recently I was in need of a new foundation since my old one (Yves Saint Lauren) made my face too shiny and oily since I have naturally oily skin. So I went into Sephora one day looking for a foundation with full coverage but will also look natural. I was directed toward the make up forever matte velvet foundation. I tried it on in the store and the coverage was amazing and the color was very natural. My skin looked clear and vibrant. Plus I liked how it was a liquid but on the face resembled a powder and did not make my face shiny. This foundation was a god sent until I started breaking out from wearing it everyday. It is very heavy but a little goes a long way. This product will last a long time and is worth the $36 you spend. But for me personally, it was too heavy and made me break out and get cysts. I feel as though this foundation is for special events when you want your skin to look flawless. But for everyday use it is too heavy. Plus some of the ingredients it contains can cause medical problems. This foundation is also scented, contains fragrance which could irritate other women with sensitive skin. So overall, I would say this product is a good investment but not for some people, especially those with sensitive skin and who are prone to acne/cysts like me.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/18/2014 10:02:00 PM More reviews by reileyjones

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I went into Sephora and asked for recommendations on a liquid foundation that would cover blemishes and scarring, and this was the number one foundation recommended. The first time I used it, I was surprised at how quickly it settles and dries. It does what it says it will do, dry to matte. Although for me, it did not cover my acne scars and blemishes as well. I think this is a foundation for someone with already clear skin. Not to mention after using this foundation for three days I broke out! And mostly with cystic acne. Not worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2014 2:26:00 AM More reviews by donnahsueh

I have finally found my HG foundation!!! (Too bad it's so pricey :() Ever since I started wearing makeup, I've struggled to find a foundation for me that suits my oily skin. And I've finally found it! This is the only foundation that I have found to CONTROL MY OIL! On top of that, it gives me a beautiful, flawless medium coverage. My skin looks even in texture and color and at the same time, natural. I can't say enough good things about this!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2014 6:13:00 PM More reviews by bmacieje

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have mixed reviews on this one. I received it as a gift, unfortunately it is not my shade (I'm porcelain and this appears to be beige) but I had fun trying it on.

Pros:
- Full coverage: it covers large pores, scarring, uneven skin tones, redness
- Liquid appears to change to powder finish just seconds after application
- No cakey appearance
- Definitely water resistant
- Nice packaging on the outside
- Small amount can cover a large part of the face

Cons:
- The formula dries up so fast on my skin, that if I need to blend, i need to do it FAST
- Makeup is not light weight. it feels heavy, I can definitely feel its presence on my face
- There is a tendency for the foundation to "ooze" out when the lid is removed. I'm not sure if it's either because there is excess air in the bottle or too much product has been squeezed into the bottle. So close IMMEDIATELY after use if this happens.
- Takes more effort to blend due to its thick consistency.
- Slight fragrance, don't need my face to have a light smell

I'm on the fence with this product. It covers the imperfections very well, but it's so thick that I can feel it on my face. That's something I don't want.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2014 5:27:00 PM More reviews by lizzchan12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

From reading previous reviews, I can tell that this foundation either works very well for people or really does not at all. I really like this foundation, however. It probably is the best matifying liquid foundation I've ever used and definitely one of my favorites. My skin has become less oily during the past few years, but this product still works just as nicely with my skin as it did when I was a grease ball. I don't have any noticeable dry spots with this foundation, but my skin is not really dry by any means, so I'm not the right person to tell you if dry patches will be exposed with this foundation. I will say though, that I discourage anyone with dry areas or dryness in general from using this foundation because it is matifying, so it is meant for those with normal-oily skin. I have combination skin where I get oily on my forehead and chin, and this foundation makes me look fresh and polished and keeps my oil under control. I like the MUFE HD foundation as well, and I love MUFE foundations because the coverage is lovely, even, and medium-full, but the feel is light and not caked-on looking at all. I like this foundation's staying power and shine control properties, and I would definitely recommend this for those of you struggling with oil/shine control. Like I said before, those of you with dryness may not have good results with this product, but check out the HD foundation from this brand. Click on my username or go to the link below to see my review on MUFE HD:

Makeup Forever foundations really are superb, in my opinion. I've always had good results and would recommend to others.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2014 11:12:00 PM More reviews by Mommycristy

I was so excited for this product!!! I wanted to love it sooo much! But i hate it. I have combination skin but i get really dry patches on the side of my face . This foundation enhanced them and it look horrific ! On the side of my face i have horrible acne so the one pro is the coverage . It does have excellent coverage .

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2014 5:50:00 AM More reviews by Sandy1213

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ugh gave me pimples. :( great coverage and was def matte so it looked great on my oily skin, Until a couple days later when I had a face filled with like 3-4 cystic pimples!