December 21, 2014 | 1063 users online

Foundations - Meow Cosmetics - Pampered Puss Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 4:05:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

I have used PPMF now for a couple of weeks straight, and I'm really enjoying it. I ordered tons of samples from them first, because they have so many colours and the choices are quite overwhelming. In fact there were more than one shade that matched me, finally, and I went for Abyssinian. I need quite a yellow shade because while my face is not that yellow, my neck and chest/body skin tone is. Yellow fdn also helps even out the redness in my face.

So, this foundation then. I normally use liquid Chanel mat lumiere in 02. I tried some other MMU and did not like them (e.g. Jane Iredale), mainly I don't like any shimmer or glow in my foundation. Meow thankfully is matte.

The powder goes on easily, a little goes a long way but if I put on too much it's pretty easy to buff off excess. I apply this with the Jane Iredale flat kabuki brush. On my nose I add a little using a puff, to cover pores better. The finish is very natural. This is not a full coverage powder, not even medium I'd say but rather light. I have uneven skin tone and some redness in my face, and this powder certainly does not cover all of it. But it does even out things so that I look 10x better than without makeup, and it does so while looking like I'm wearing virtually no makeup at all! I prefer this look to a heavily made up one. For a formal occasion where I needed to look perfectly polished, I would not wear this foundation though, I'd go with my Chanel liquid. But this is fine for everyday - including for the office.

The munchkin package is a good size, the price is nice. Samples are cheap, and that's just as well because you absolutely need to try samples first. What's to complain? Well, the colours as other people have said are not very logical; I needed to order a ton of samples to find my shade; the names are frankly silly; and there seems to be a shade missing between "frisky" and "naughty" - in every colour! I had to buy both shades, because frisky alone is a bit too light and naughty alone is too dark.

Finally a word about "purrfect" and "flawless". The latter offers more coverage but I felt it could look at bit chalky too. Purrfect is more transparent. Out of all three, I preferred pampered because it still looks perfectly natural while giving a bit of coverage.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2012 9:12:00 AM More reviews by Nanou2

I love that they have tons of shades to choose from, but in the end I just took a guess because I couldn't decide. A bit too overwhelming but that's my problem.

The shipping took AGES!

The packaging is awesome. The container is nice an big so you can stick your brush in there and get swirly. Also loving the little leopard pouch too.

I bought a couple of the Naughty samples to mix in my pampered puss to get a darker summer colour.

I used to be a big fan of everyday minerals. The price became a bit too expensive for me so I searched for another mineral brand that was more affordable. I found MAD Minerals. The packaging isn't as good but the price was amazing and the product was just as good as Everyday Minerals.

After reading all the rave reviews on MUA I thought I would try Pampered Puss... I'm not too impressed.

The coverage is sheer, not buildable and kinda chalky! I'm pretty disappointed, after reading all the reviews I was sure this was going to trump all other mineral foundation I have tried.

UPDATE- I had to come back and knock the lippies down. This is useless. 0 coverage, doesn't even cover slight redness in my skin. Forget any acne or scaring this is totally sheer. It makes my skin look dry, old and dull. I hate it! Very disappointed, especially after buying the biggest one!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 12:49:00 AM More reviews by corviddreams

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried both Flawless Feline and Pampered Puss. FF made me itchy (I suspect that I am sensitive to Boron Nitride), so I settled on the Pampered Puss. After 20+ years of trying to match my odd skin tone, I finally found a foundation that looks natural on me and better yet, doesn't make my skin break out. I do wish that PP was a tad more opaque as I got better coverage with the Flawless Feline, but the product builds up nicely.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2012 12:44:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a great lightweight foundation that can easily be built as one needed. However, as I need fuller coverage thanks to acne scarring, I passed on this in favor of Flawless Feline. To get the coverage I needed I would end up building this to the point of the color being darker than my neck despite it normally being a perfect match (Slinky Abyssinian). For that much effort I figured I might as well just get the Flawless Feline. I imagine Pampered Puss would be best on those with clearer and not so oily skin, as even with the oily primer and Top Cat finishing powder I was oily in an hour. Despite this, I'll probably buy a Munchkin jar of Pampered Puss for when my skin is behaving and/or is feeling especially dry.

EDIT 5/9/12: With better, natural skin care my face has cleared and is normal now rather than oily. Flawless Feline made me itch and was too heavy so I switched back to Pampered Puss, and couldn't be happier. It lasts all day and is comfortable to wear. I found a perfect match in Slinky Manx.

EDIT 12/09/12: After using Alima's foundation for months I retried Meow and it made me itch like CRAZY. Alima's is much more hypoallergenic, so it's bye-bye Meow for good.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2012 3:22:00 PM More reviews by kristin39

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It took several attempts at getting a match, but I finally settled on a neutral (Siamese) and it looks like me, only better. I apply it with a flat-top foundation brush, and while initially rather mask-like, it quickly settles in and softens. I find the staying power more than adequate and have less need for oil blotting than normal. But the best part....I have not broken out since I began using this stuff! I am 44 and still suffer with breakouts, so this is a marvel to me. I couldn't be happier with the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2011 10:14:00 PM More reviews by sthenn0

I have NEVER liked powder foundations...until I tried Meow Cosmetics. I have always had acne-prone and sensitive skin, so I was afraid to use it. Now that I know my skin better and treat it well with moisturizers and masques, I will never use liquid foundation again. Pampered Puss is so smooth and flawless...it evens out my really uneven and acne-scarred skin and actually MATCHES my skin! I am not a strict beige or drug-store color, so this is a miracle. And I got under eye concealer to match! I also have visible pores but this foundation does not embed itself into them. It more or less glides over/around them. I feel really good about my skin for once and I love supporting indie companies that go out of their way to make quality products.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2011 6:26:00 PM More reviews by shazzar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is perfect for my sensitive acne prone skin but I wish it had more coverage. This line has a really great colour selection and the shades are very forgiving, I was able to find 3/4 sample shades that worked for my skin tone from the different 'breeds', which brings me to my next point; the whole cat breed thing is so tacky and off-putting. This makeup is good, it does not need this gimmick to stand out. The website is also too busy and cluttered to navigate easily. My only reason for not purchasing though is the lack of coverage.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2011 11:55:00 PM More reviews by piecesofpurple

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been on an extensive hunt for my HG foundation and I can't say this is it, just yet. I originally tried Flawless Feline for the extra coverage, but couldn't wear it because my skin reacts to Boron Nitride in a similar way to the way it reacts to Bismuth Oxychloride (itching, acne, redness, allergic reaction). So, at first I was going to give up on Meow because their shipping times are ridiculous. It always takes over two weeks to get my order, which is frustrating because if I want to just sample a shade, I have to wait two weeks or so to get it, try it, and then when I place my order for the full size it takes over a month in total to have a new foundation for daily use. So, if you're ordering samples, order samples in various depths of a single shade and try more than one formula (which will end up costing a small fortune in samples, 90% of which you'll never actually use, which is also frustrating). My last complaint is that Meow's depths of colors are not consistent with one another. When I ordered, I imagined Inquisitive is equivalent to NC 10, Sleek NC 15, Frisky NC 20, and so on... However, for some odd reason, they have shades that "run lighter than other breeds". Why?? If Frisky Manx is light enough to be Sleek Manx, then why call it Frisky Manx and then tell me it runs lighter than other breeds? On top of that, Sleek Siamese is much darker than say, Sleek Korat, even though neither are labeled as running lighter or darker than other breeds. ::Sigh:: This is why you should get samples in two levels up and down from where you think you'd be. It's exhausting to try all the colors in this makeup line and I normally don't have a hard time finding a shade that matches my skin (unless the company doesn't have pale enough shades). The web site is really cluttered and not the easiest to navigate, in my opinion.

Also, I was confused that everyone says they always have awesome sales and yet I never saw them with a single sale (besides the free shipping option). You have to sign up for their Newsletter in order to get email notifications on their current sales. God I wish I had known that because I JUST placed an order with two full sized products! They should automatically send existing customers email updates with current sales. This is another annoying factor.

So, anyway, on to the review of Pampered Puss. I'm NC 15 with golden undertones and I'm still on the hunt for a perfect shade from Meow. I've tried all of the shades that fall into the "yellow, golden, beige, neutral" range, with the exception of Chartreux, which I'll have to try next. Sleek Manx (Yellow, Peach), was ghost white, but looked like the perfect undertones for me, so I went and purchased full sizes of foundation and concealer in Frisky Manx. The foundation isn't bad, but I layer a lot and it's slightly too dark and too yellow for my skin (it may just be too yellow). Manx is a shade that "runs lighter than other breeds". The concealer for Manx is so painfully yellow that no human could possibly wear this and not look like you have jaundice (Unless you apply VERY sheerly, but why use concealer then?). It's awful and makes no sense to me. If a foundation shade works pretty well for me, the more opaque version in a concealer form should not look like an entirely different product, especially when the concealer runs a shade lighter than the foundation, so it's definitely not too dark. It's as if the concealer of Manx has no peach at all and is all yellow. Plus, the concealer is "eh" in coverage, anyway. It looks very obvious on my face and doesn't apply evenly, so it's not a stellar concealer for acne and post acne scarring. EDM's intensive base covers so much better and I'm not even that thrilled with that formula. Plus, their concealers are pricey in comparison to their other products. How can you sell an 85 gram of Flawless Feline (heavy coverage foundation) for 27 bucks and then charge 16 dollars for 20 grams of concealer? The Flawless Feline gave better looking coverage than the concealer formula, but it has boron nitride, which I can't use, so I'm bummed.

I would like to try Sleek Chartreux because I was told by Meow's customer service that this is the equivalent to EDM's Golden Fair, which is a very good match for my skin tone (in semi matte and intensive-----the matte formula is ghost white for some reason). But, I don't want to wait over two weeks for a freaking sample to come in the mail!

I also don't like that colors seem to make a HUGE jump from Sleek to Frisky in most of the shades. It goes from say NC 15 to NC 25, rather than NC 20. This way, a lot of people have to blend two shades together to get their perfect match, thus costing more money in the end and being an incredible pain to do yourself without making a huge mess.

But, the Pampered Puss formula has simple ingredients and is one of the most natural looking makeups I've ever used. Right now I'm on Accutane, so my skin is dry, and this foundation looks like natural skin with no glitter, shimmer, or pearl (maybe I'll see it more when my skin gets oily again?). I read some people comparing this finish to EDM's Semi Matte and I respectfully disagree. Despite my dry skin, EDM's semi matte makes me look oily, but this Pampered Puss is just like my natural skin. It's super lightweight, makes my pores disappear and provides buildable medium coverage. I just have to find my ideal shade!

Overall, I would recommend this for sensitive, acne prone skin. I'll update if that changes.

****UPDATE**** Sleek Chartreux is very similar to EDM's Golden Fair. To me, this Sleek is not any lighter than other sleeks---it's NC 15 depth. It's a very good match for my skin. Inquisitive may actually be necessary in winter--hopefully not!

11 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2011 9:55:00 AM More reviews by rej123

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I initially felt so overwhelmed by the Meow website they have soooo many shades of foundation. However, I contacted their customer service and they were hands down the best online customer service I have ever had. They got back to me within the same day and recommended my the type and 3 potential shade matches. I tried 2 mineral makeup brands prior to meow and was about to give up on the mineral makeup hunt.. I am so glad I didn't because Meow is rad. I actually couldn't stop checking my skin out in the mirror after I applied it... Not dry and chalky and I wasn't an oil slick at the end of the day either. Massive A+ Will def repurchase, although I probably won't have to because you get so much for so little....

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2011 4:41:00 AM More reviews by SNOTCROW

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

First I tried the Flawless Feline full coverage foundation, but it looked like a pancake on my face. But the color selection is great for people with strong yellow undertones, like me, so I tried the Pampered Puss foundation instead and it's great! It has a very slight sheen to it, similar to Everyday Minerals semi-matte, but slightly less pearly.