Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm for Thick or Coarse Hair

4.4

Water (Aqua/EAU), Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Sorbitol, Behenyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Oleate, Fragrance/Parfum, Pentapeptide-29 Cysteinamide, Pentapeptide-30 Cysteinamide, Tetrapeptide-28 Argininamide, Tetrapeptide-29 Argininamide, Hydrolysed Keratin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Hydrogenated Olive Oil, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Hydrolysed Algin, Sea Water/Maris Aqua/EAU De Mer, Clorella Vulgaris Extract, Isopropyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Aminopropyl Dimethcone, Glutamic Acid, Stearyl Dihydropropyldimonium, Oligosaccharides, Octyldodecanol, Steartrimonium Chloride, Arginine, Propylene Glycol, PEG-6 Methyl Ether Dimethicone, PEG-90M, Glycerin, Limonene, Benzyl Benzoate, Orange 4 (CI15510), Yellow 5 (CI19140).

on 6/26/2011 2:50:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This product fits the bill for price, quantity, quality and results- so it deserves HG status from me!

I have very thick long coarse Eurasian hair recovering from bleaching and thermal rebonding but this product does wonders and now I'm known for great hair- I get at least two compliments a day about my hair now and I'm loving it! I attribute my hair's speedy recovery to this product!

I wash my hair every 2-3 days and use this as a conditioner after any shampoo that I happen to have lying around (I try to keep it low-sulfate or sulfate-free but any shampoo for dry hair seems to produce the same results), I towel dry my hair after and start to work the balm from the ends up. It's very thick, the smell is pleasant and you feel your hair being nourished.

I give it a bit of a blow dry and let it soak in my hair for at least 15 minutes, sometimes I just hang around the house for a couple of hours before washing it out.

When it's finally washed out and blow dried my hair feels amazingly soft and my split ends are deceivingly non-existent! My hair is thick so I'll give it an iron-down after and in the end my hair is left looking like that of a Pantene model.

I precede the treatment with the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor every 2 weeks (don't want protein overload) and I find this helps to heal the damage from before.

Overall I thoroughly recommend this product to everyone. Forget about drugstore conditioners- you get what you pay for when it comes to treatments for heavily damaged hair. But that being said, I've tried Kerastase and whilst it does wonders, Joico delivers pretty much the same results without the excessive price tag.

I got a nice large 250ML tube that will last me awhile (it's thick so you don't need a lot) for around $27 AUD (cheaper in other countries I suspect) at Price Attack but I think it goes on sale occasionally for around 20% off.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

This stuff was okay. Definitely more suited for people with coarse hair. My hair is thick, but not coarse. However, my hair is dry. I left this on for about 20 minutes the first time I used this, but it made my hair very limp and it was greasy the very next day. The next time I used it I left it in for 7 minutes, and my hair was soft and manageable. It still got greasy the next day, though. I'm thinking of trying the one for fine hair, and see how it goes. My hair is relatively short, so that may also be why. I use this after using my Joico Deep Penetrating Reconstructor.

on 2/15/2011 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of the best treatments I have come across. The consistency is nice and thick and it feels so luxurious when you put it on your hair. I have very long hair and I put the treatment in twice a week. Each time I leave it in for about 10 mins. I constantly get told I have the nicest hair. I owe all my good fortunes to this treatment.

Btw, I have facial eczema on my eyes and my lips and this does not aggravate my eczema.

on 2/2/2011 5:51:00 PM

I was expecting great results from all the posititive reviews on here but sadly this product did not work for me. It has a lovely balm like texture which makes you believe its going to be very hydrating for your hair but after leaving it in for half an hour and blow drying my hair my hair felt dry, sticky and brittle. Whilst this didnt work for me its worth giving a go as it may work on your hair. Different products work for different people. Would not repurchase.

on 1/11/2011 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

OMG!! Why hadn't I tried this sooner??!! I never knew what a good deep conditioner is supposed to do until I tried this one!!

This product does everything for my hair -- moisturizes, smoothes, shines, and makes it silky for days!!! I think this is my new HG!! Bye-bye Redken Real Control Mask!

on 1/10/2011 4:23:00 AM

The Moisture Recovery conditioner is absolutely fantastic and my HG of all times.
Unfortunatly, the treatment balm in the same line didn't perform - at all.
It's thick & creamy and really look nurturing squeezed out of the tube, I'll give it that!
But I find it hard to distribute evenly in wet hair without using to much, and once in hair, it really just sits there, it doesn't penetrate the surface and it's really not moisturizing on its own.
I've tried it with heat, whitout heat, leaving it in for various minutes/hours, and the result is just not anything else then I get from a regular conditioner.
The *only* excellent result I've had with this product, is when left in a damp bun over night. In the morning, the outcome is similar to when using the MR conditioner.
That's not the way it's supposed to bu used though, and if I get the same result form 3 minutes with the MR cond, why buy the treatment at all?

It's possible that the formula is just too thick for me, although my hair is really thick as I've got a lot of strands, they're really thin and fine.
That could explain why so many have had excellent results with this product and some none at all.

I won't repurchase, although I might try the lighter version for fine hair.

on 11/6/2010 3:35:00 PM

What a great disappointment! I bought this a couple of months ago, when my long, medium-thick, dry hair was in desperate need of a moisture kick. Although it made my hair slightly softer, it didn't add any shine whatsoever nor did it help tame my frizz. It left a coat on my hair that lasted a few washes - probably due to a heavy load of silicone in this product. It even made my hair look dull. I don't understand the rave about Joico in general, I'm looking towards Redken or Kérastase next.

on 9/26/2010 2:32:00 AM

This product left my thick, dry hair soft and silky. When blow drying i found my hair a little greasy but this vanished as soon as i straightened it. Will definitely use again.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

HG item! Most effective product I've found for my thick, frizzy hair. Usually apply to the ends of hair after shampooing. Not perfect, but very effective at reducing frizz. Highly recommended.

on 8/27/2010 7:34:00 PM

I used to use Redken and Kérastase before this, and I would never switch again. Love it! I use it maybe once a week or once every second and it keeps my hair so soft. Wonderful.