Smith's Rosebud Salve Minted Rose Lip Balm

4.1

Petrolatum, Peppermint Oil, Aromol (blend of 7 rose essential oils).

on 2/13/2012 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

If you have chronically dry lips that need some serious moisture, this is not going to work for you. It's sort of moisturizing at first (kind of greasy feeling), but for me, when it dried, my lips felt more chapped than they were before. I think that this would be nice for someone who doesn't necessarily NEED a lip balm, but just wants something on the lips. The smell was nice in my opinion, but I can imagine how some wouldn't like it. I also am not a fan of the petroleum. I wanted to love this, it just wasn't meant to be

on 2/12/2012 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool

I purchased the Minted Rose Lip Balm because of the hype and the cute tin it came in. However, I must say, I thought this lip balm would be a great addition to my lip balm collection (i'm obsessed lol), but it sadly does not live up to the hype and price I paid for it. I gave three lippies; one for the cute packaging; one for the smooth and not so thick consistency and lastly; one for the smell. Other than that, I will stick to my Burts Bees, blistex and C.O. Bigelow. I figured I first give the Rosebud Salve a go right before bedtime and hoped to wake up with moisturized/nourished lips but sadly it didnt do anything more than what my Burt's Bees already does. It's moisturizing for a short time and gives a little sheen, but other than that, dont waste your money.

on 2/12/2012 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This product is pretty great; it's moisturizing, smells like roses, and gives lips a minty tingle and a pretty, sheer red shine. It's a bit pricey for a lip balm, but I like it more for its natural look than anything. The salve also works well in taming eyebrows or adding some defines to eyelids, cheekbones, or anywhere else. The packaging gets banged up very easily, and the moisturizing properties don't last as long as I'd like. I took off a point for containing petroleum, and I wouldn't" repurchase for the same reason (I stopped buying petroleum-based products after purchasing this).

on 2/12/2012 5:46:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I've been looking for the perfect lip blam or lip conditioner but nothing can help my dry lip or moisture it enough until I found this amazing product at Paris ICI XL in Belgium. At first i taste cool minted feeling on my lip and after that it disappeared only the smooth lip feeling left. I love it so much and now i never have dry lip problem. I recommended anyone try this especially in the winter like this!! sometime i used on my knuckle when i am lazy to go get handcream when it drys, it works wonder.

on 2/7/2012 3:20:00 PM

LOVE this stuff! Definitely my favorite of the Smith's balms/salves. I liked the original but didn't really care for the rose scent - this one is almost all mint and I love it. The texture is also a bit different - a little less solid - and it seems to have a very slight pinky-red tint. Nothing super noticeable though. It's cheap for how much you get and the packaging is adorable. It'll be a staple in my bag for as long as they make it. So forever.

on 1/3/2012 4:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I've been using the orginal rosebud salve for almost 8 years now. It's one of the few producrs that I will go back and repurchase when I am out. I was out sephora a few weeks ago and noticed the mint version. I love anything minty so I bought it. It works fantastic. Just as well as the original version but the scent is not as strong. There is a slight minty rosebud smell, it's very pleasant. I use this salve mostly as a chapstick. It moisturizes my lips without feeling greasy. I also like to use this around my nose if it's irritated from a cold. It heals it quickly. I even used this stuff on my elbows. It's one of my holy grail items. I think I prefer the minted version. I will definitely buy more. For $7, a tin will last me a good year so it's pretty cheap because it lasts so long.

I've been buying Rosebud Salve since the days when I had to go directly to Bigelow's in NYC. I read about it in Allure ages ago, and hunted it down. I've been hooked ever since. I now buy the mint one, as the regular rose is a little to "rosy" for my taste.

Sure this is a great lip balm, but it's a great everything balm. I use at least two tins in the winter because I apply it to every chapped area of my body, nose, elbows, cuticles, etc. This is also great for prepping your lips for dark lipstick or stains. Slather on a nice glob, let it sit two minutes, then take it off with a tooth brush.

Here is why this is a brilliiant product (and at least once a year I email the company to ask them to sell this by the pint). I have eczema, so sometimes I get these awful flaky, scaly patches on my skin. I put a dab of this on the scaly part, rub it in, let it sit overnight, and BOOM my skin is almost completely healed the next day. After two or three days, my skin is totally back to normal. I've tried every other thing that is supposedly for eczema, but this is the only thing that seems to heal my skin.

This will be the best $7 you ever spend.

on 8/22/2011 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I ordered this product about 2 weeks ago, and I just got it today. After reading a lot of great reviews, I settled on the Minted Rose flavor of the Rosebud Salves. This is my first time buying from Sephora. I normally buy drugstore brands. I'm new to these balms, but so far these are my findings.

Price:
The price of the product was okay. Just okay. I'm not exactly rich right now, but I don't think the price ($7) was right for me. Yes, the balm might last you about 6-8 months, but i'm thinking of using this everyday. But, if you're willing, you can purchase this product at Sephora(.com).

Packaging:
The packaging for this product is okay, also. The tin is really cute, in my opinion, but a little bit hard to open. The trick is twist and pull up. Do not expect this product to be too big, it's pretty small. I got my hopes up pretty high, and was disappointed. But anyway, the packaging isn't bad. Remember: DO NOT leave Rosebud Salve in direct heat! The balm will most definitely MELT!

Consistency:
Many people argue that this product's consistency is like Vaseline. Frankly, I disagree. Vaseline's consistency is much more greasy and soft. Rosebud Salve's consistency is definitely greasy though, just a bit less. Rosebud Salve's texture is pretty smooth. It's petrolatum/petroleum based so it's not that great.

Tint:
Rosebud Salve in Minted Rose may have the most tint, but it is still extremely light. I cannot even notice the color. It looks absolutely clear, except if you look REALLY REALLY close in the mirror. Even then, it's pretty clear. This balm isn't for color. Don't expect a lot of it!

Moisture:
This balm was mostly created for moisture purposes. The only thing that I actually liked was this aspect. It's fairly moisturizing, but I hoped for more. This being my first Sephora purchase, I expected a lot. I put a little too much on my lips the first time. Within 15 minutes, my lips had absorbed half of the stuff. It's pretty good for moisture, so my next purchase will definitely be the original Rosebud Salve.

Scent:
I really expected this to smell like Minted Roses. Instead, it smells like... honey and mint? I don't exactly know what it smells like, but it smells like honey and mint to me. I personally don't like the smell. I've smelled real roses, and THOSE are beautifully aromatic. The mint barely smells like mint, but that's just my opinion.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this to anybody. Go ahead if you want to though. I think that using the original Rosebud Salve is a better idea.

Hope I helped! ^_^

on 8/19/2011 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I really like this lip balm. Being a mint fan, I absolutely love the smell. It's not sticky or overly glossy and gives my lips a light rosy tint. The tin lasts a long time. Seriously, I've had it for over a year now and I've probably only used half! I know if it came in tube form I would probably use more of it more as I'm not a huge fan in sticking my fingers in a tin. Either way, I think it's still pretty wonderful and I'll definitely purchase it when it runs out.

on 8/15/2011 6:05:00 PM

I'm quite disappointed by this product. I purchased this expecting it to be the same formula as the normal Rosebud Salve, but for some reason this is more drying on my lips--I'm not sure if it's because the formula is slightly different or if it's the mint essential oil. The texture is similar to that of the original, but a little bit thinner and more greasy. It doesn't have good staying power at all, I'd say 1 hour max, more like 30 min. It adds a little bit of a pinkish tint to your lips, which looks quite cute and is housed in a vintage-looking tin. I'll def use it up, but I would never repurchase. I expected this balm to be far more moisturizing than it is.

Popular Lip Treatments