MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

4.3

on 7/15/2012 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This brush is great. I love how flawless my foundation looks after I use this brush. And it can be used for many other things as well like highlighting. When I was at the mac counter I wasn't sure whether I should get the 188 or 187 brush but one of the workers at the store recommended the 188 since it smaller and it can get to more places easier without messing up. The only negative thing I have to say about this is that after I wash the brush with baby shampoo it starts to splay while drying so I have to wrap it around in paper to maintain the shape.

on 7/3/2012 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Made by natural hair (black) and synthetic fibres (white), MAC 188 is suitable for applying emoillent, creamy and powdery products. It's the smaller sister of the loved MAC 187, with a flat top you can use with circular motions. Swirling it with creamy/powder blushes onto the apples of the cheeks provide light weight application, and so it is great for pigmented blushes like NARS Gilda and MAC Fleur Power. However, beware that since it softens up all colours, applying nude blushes may take up extra time. I suggest sticking to the typical blush brush MAC 116 or any other brushes of your choice if you wish more colour to show up. The bristles are soft, but this brush does shed a bit, but nothing too annoying.

A stippling brush is always perfect for creating soft layers and this is the brush for your apple or hollow of your cheeks. If you use it for building up your foundation, it takes up too much time and effort, yet using it to blend concealers is amazing as it can get into the nooks and crannies, and it gives a lighter coverage than MAC 130 which is denser.

At the price of Ä31, it is certainly an expensive investment, but as long as you take care of it, it will last you for quite some years. But is it a must-have? I doubt. There are many other options out there costing a lot less (name Real Techniques Stippling Brush), and many other brushes by other names can do the same thing.

Bristles: 3.5/5 (shed a bit)
Shape: 5/5
Versatility: 5/5 (Applying blush, blending concealer, contouring and so on, with liquid, creamy and powder products)
Application: 4/5 (creates soft layers by dipping colours on but it takes extra time for less pigmented blushes)
Price: 3/5
Overall: 4.1/5

For more makeup and beauty products reviews:
Miss Kwong: From Catwalk to Classroom continued >>

on 4/4/2012 4:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I use it only to apply my highly pigmented blushes like Tarte, otherwise I cant see how this would work with foundation? Its SO light in application and so small that I can only see this for a light dusting of highlighter or blush - or am I missing something here?

I wouldn't recommend this brush at all. Not my favorite...May put it up for swap since some people seem to like it and because its almost brand new, just purchased it a month or two ago (brand new from MAC.com)

on 3/30/2012 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

its soft and works well for mineralize products. i like this to use for liquid foundation and shimmery products to dust it on my face. its a good brush but quite expensive, but works wonder! i wouldnt repurchase because a brush last forever!

on 3/29/2012 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I thought long and hard about buying this brush, one because of the price, and two because I was sure there would be a dupe for it somewhere. Well, I took the plunge and put down the $50+ to buy it. At first, I loved it...then somewhere down the road it sucked. I don't know if it's the cleanser I used or the way I washed it...but it just had bent hairs and everytime I used it, I would take an extra couple minutes to pick at the little black hairs that shed. I was crushed cause I spent so much on it, and that the brush cleanser I used NEVER did that to any of my other brushes. Anyway, the performance wasn't that great at that time also.Then a couple weeks ago, I was watching gossmakeupartist on youtube, and he had a video up on how to use a stippling brush. The way he explained it gave me a new light on using it again. So yesterday, I did it the way he explained it to me...and...for the first time...I really had that 'airbrush' look. AND It wasn't shedding anymore! When I do clean it now, I just swirl it in little circles in the palm of my hand and gently squeeze out extra water when I wash it out. I form it into a tip and let it dry for 2 days. I'm really loving it! But because of the shedding and crap I had to put up with before, I'm only giving this a 3 out of 5. continued >>

on 2/26/2012 6:12:00 AM

I use it mostly to apply foundation and sometimes to apply shimmer and highlights. I found that after a few washes the bristles started to come out while I was applying my foundation, leaving them on my face. Iím really disappointed; it just doesn't worth the price.

on 2/1/2012 8:34:00 PM

UPDATE: I have a lot to say about this concealer so much so that there's no room in MU's review window, please go here to check out my thoughts on this product:

I was making changes to this posting before so I apologize if anyone wasn't able to get to my review, try again, thanks :)

on 12/18/2011 11:42:00 AM

I actually set out to buy the 187, but the MA used this to even out my complexion with the foundation I already had on (ELDW) and the result was a smooth even finish. So I went ahead and bought this. This is a small brush but I found it to be useful around the nose area and also around the eye. I also use it to apply blush and since it picks a small amount so you get a natural finish. Overall stippling is a great way to apply foundation and this brush also doubles up as a blush brush, probably will be better for creme blushes. Will repurchase but I guess this will last a long while. Have not seen any shedding as yet.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Originally bought this brush for foundation ($24 at the Orlando CCO) but it is wayyyyyy too small for that (for me, atleast). I was perplexed about how I would use this brush but finally found the thing it is absolutely PERFECT FOR! Any sort of cream blush. I have used it with Tarte's cheek stain (another product that so many love and eluded me for the longest time...until trying it with this brush!) and Stila's convertible color and it stipples JUST the right amount of color and blends it like a dream. Now I will never eeevvveeerrr be without one of these little beauties.

on 10/24/2011 6:46:00 PM

Shape of this brush allows a remarkable lightness of touch not usually afforded by other brush shapes. And for me, this is this product's USP since such brush action works perfectly for flawless blending of concealer and corrector pen product around nose and eyes areas.

Video Reviews & Tutorials