New York Color Loose Face Powder - Translucent

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Talc, Mica, Zinc Stearate, Calcium Silicate, Kaolin, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Boron Nitride, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Isopropyl Palmitate, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, [May Contain/Peut Contenir/ /-: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)].

on 2/18/2010 11:11:00 AM

I wanted to love this. I tried it based on all the rave reviews. I loved it at first so much. It looks lovely on and truly mattifies. It must work for a lot of people. I had two problems with it though that took a little time to figure out. Over the past couple of weeks (I've been using the powder about a month now) I had noticed that out of nowhere my foundation has started looking a little orange. It didn't dawn on me until today that it's the powder, since it's the only thing different, I've been using the same kind of foundation for several years. So a) it oxidizes on me, and b) it has broken me out horribly! Big cystic lumps all over my chin and cheeks, totally weird for me. Big red lumpy zits that come to a head, and then leave a red mark for probably weeks to come. I just realized this morning that this is the only new thing in my routine, so I'm a little relieved to figure it out so I can just toss the powder and hopefully no new breakouts. I will update once I stop breaking out with the stoppage of the powder, so I can be sure about the connection. Acne-prones be very wary!

on 1/27/2010 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this powder at times to set my mu and also to carry in a small container in my purse for touch ups. I find i use it mainly for the latter. I was a pro ma and was taught then to only use loose powder. while that can debated and i now feel truly depends on the powder and what you intend to use it for (to mattify, highlight, etc), I really think loose powder is best for on the go. It may seem counter intuitive as it may also seem messy or simply unwieldy for toting around. However, when on the go I don't want nor can always, get out a mirror for a touch up. I mainly use blotting papers but I like to keep a finely milled loose powder on hand to look more polished and this can be brushed on quickly without having to even use a mirror and worrying about what you look like(does anyone recall the recent pics of actress Nicole Kidman with splotches of powder on her nose and cheek?! as its its so sheer.

You must use a brush of your own and always tap off excess or you will be chalky but that's true for most powders in general. The shade is translucent and if applies minimally, I find that to be the true. I don't have a lot to say re. setting ability as I have not used it often enough that way to comment. However when I have used it to set I was pleased with how it looked and performed. The price is very, very reasonable for this amt of product.

on 1/27/2010 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I just started using this product, but I love it. My hand was kind of forced to buy a setting powder, but I did no want to buy something too expensive and not be happy with it.

I found this while shopping at Target for $2.74, however only paid $1.74 for it as I had a coupon for $1 off any NYC product over $1.79.

I rather like this product and so do my co-workers who I let try out. it goes on smooth and does not make your face look cakey or ashey.

I would definitely recommend that you try and for the price you can't really lose.

on 1/25/2010 7:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

wow...very very nice..!!! How did i ignore this for the past 11 years? lol...

very silky, smooth, and being that i have very oily skin,...this does the job--and does it WELL. It is a bit messy--but most loose powder can be.

Ladies--FORGET HIGH PRICED POWDER (in exception to high priced foundation and estee lauder pressed powder which is excellent for oily skin)...this is the REAL DEAL.

They say you get what you paid for..but there is a little fortune in this and the price is just uncanny.

The best fix---use Hard Candy Primer (the BEST), then use Estee lauder double wear foundation (the BEST coverage and best oil absorbing foundation), and then use this powder...and ohhhhhhhhhhhh how your face will be FLAWLESS and OIL FREE-SHINE FREE FOR HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A++++++++ to this stuff!!

on 1/8/2010 2:28:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This is a great powder its actually the only one i've tried though lol but its great it really takes the shine away i used it over revlons colorstay and use a big fluffy art brush for it works very well the packaging is a little messy though but not too much since i kept the sticker over the sifter but its probably not travel safe lol

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have used this powder for the last 8 months or so. I like the translucent best and not the fair or medium color since the medium is too dark. The translucent is the color I need for my skin tone since I am so light. But I am keeping the medium for summer time. This powder is so cheap its hard to not have some waiting for you before your finished with one. I take out the sifter peice because it gets in the way.

on 12/28/2009 7:12:00 PM

This is my all-time favourite powder. At only $2-3 a pop, you really can't go wrong. It is the perfect translucent powder; it doesn't clog pores, it sets face makeup, and it keeps my face from becoming a shiny mess. I throw out the powder puff that comes with the compact, and instead use a big fluffy powder brush to sweep it on. I even use this when I don't wear any other face makeup, because I love the way it evens out my skin and keeps the oil away. I will continue to buy this product because it is the best I've ever used, and I don't need to try anything else!

on 12/25/2009 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I recently purchased this powder after reading positive reviews on this website. After realizing that my foundation would probably last even longer if I set it with a translucent powder, I decided to try out something inexpensive. I found this product for $3 and figured it could hurt to try it.

I apply it with my Elf Studio Complexion Brush - dust it lightly over my Revlon Colorstay foundation and my makeup looks practically flawless for hours. The powder is silky and translucent. It doesn't turn my skin totally pale... pretty much blends in with the foundation. It does not make my skin look cakey at all.
Basically, it is a great product for the price. The only problem I have with it is the packaging. It comes in a container with a sifter and a small pink-ish sponge "puff" applicator. I actually don't have problems using the sponge. If I forget or simply don't feel like bringing my brush along, I use the sponge and it works well for application. But the sifter holes are too large and the lid doesn't screw on. So there is a good chance that the makeup will spill if it's not packed tightly, and practically half the container spills into the lid. You have to make sure to open it upright, but too much product still comes out. I have managed to just keep a piece of clear tape over it. I just peel off the tape when I want to use the product and replace it once the adhesive has worn off.
Other than the packaging it's a great product and I will definitely repurchase.

on 11/1/2009 5:42:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I got this to try because my covergirl loose powder is too dark for my skin in the fall/winter. Its a transluscent powder and there really isn't too much to be said about it. I sets my foundation and doesn't make me ghostly. Would I buy again? Yes, if E.L.F didn't make the HD powder anymore :)

on 11/1/2009 2:43:00 PM

Got this when I ran out of my BECCA powder since it was cheap and I'd only need it for a day or two until my order arrived. Guess I'm spoiled with Becca, because I thought this stuff was awful. Translucent is right- what is the point of using a powder that doesn't diffuse light and doesn't set makeup? To highlight and expose dry skin? If you have a flawless complexion and want to feel like a pretty pretty princess you can use this with a giant powder brush and some pink lip gloss. If you're looking for something to set and enhance the natural look of your foundation, look elsewhere. The only positives I can give this are that it is cheap and it didn't irritate my sensitive skin in the few days that I used it.