October 25, 2014 | 946 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Lipstick

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2007 9:54:00 AM More reviews by lisa_67

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a lovely brick-red shade, with just the right balance of pink and brown, and no orange undertones. I'm fairly light-skinned with pinkish undertones, reddish-brown hair, and blue eyes, and this color looks good on me...not too pink, and definitely not too orange-y, which many brick-reds seem to do. I do moisturize my lips with Kiehl's lip balm before applying this, as it's a bit dry straight out of the tube. I also use a lip brush; since the pigments are intense, a little goes a long way, especially during daytime wear. This is a great shade that can go from day to evening effortlessly. It's the best, most wearable brick-red I've ever found, and I'll definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2007 3:30:00 PM More reviews by gertymcdowell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

On my PPP (red hair, green eyes) Retro shows up as a warm red. It lives up to its namesake-- a very pearls-and-pumps color. It's a satin, but like many MAC satins, it feels more matte. But it has good staying power, too. I wear it a lot to work, when I want a classic, presentable look.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2006 9:28:00 PM More reviews by funkqueen

I've been using this shade for years--- I love it. I saw it on a co-worker and she is fair skin, with light brown hair and green eyes. The color looked so natural on her, yet I gave her lips a nice glow. I have darker hair and hazel eyes and it works for me too. It's like having a natural pigment of color on your lips-- it's not too much. Though I have to use blistex or lip gloss, because it's a matt and my lips will look too chapped other wise.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2006 8:34:00 PM More reviews by wickedcurls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I recived this color in a swap. It's a pretty deep dark brown red, that on my lips is only brown. I mix this with a light pink lipstick and it highlights the red tones in the lipstick. It's pretty, but I don't really like the Satin finishes, I find them drying. I wouldn't buy this color again, I'd pick something a little brighter.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2005 3:02:00 PM More reviews by ladycats

Very brown, very boring. I have dark hair and blue eyes, and on me this just looked as though I had been careless eating chocolate...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2005 2:56:00 PM More reviews by laurenaj

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite pink/brown lipstick. It looks beautifull with my olive/gold skin and red hair. Definately for warm skinned tone faces. The staying power is amazing. I will add this as a staple.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/31/2004 3:39:00 PM More reviews by ValleyGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have fairly cool toned skin, and it definitely looks more orange than red on me. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though I don't often go for orange-brown lips. Make that never! But, eh, it's not too bad. Except...I tried Retro this morning with the MAC Cherry lipliner and it's fabulous! A gorgeous pinky red. I'm not sure how a cool toned red lipliner plus a warm toned orange brown lipstick make a gorgeous cool pink red, but there it is. I don't even know if MAC makes Cherry anymore. Do they? I haven't checked the website. The pencil I have is a few years old, but used only a handful of times. Will definitely be used more now!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2004 2:12:00 AM More reviews by Zedar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a beautiful color if you look good in warm colors. However, I have a light, cool skin tone and Retro looks too orangey on me, so I will not be repurchasing.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/21/2004 9:32:00 PM More reviews by marinablue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is so similar to the Laura Mercier Bare Lips, Sexy Lips, HEalthy Lips line of colors that I felt really ripped off. Nothing special about this color at all. It is an ugly brownish red and it is not pretty with a light complexion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2004 9:25:00 PM More reviews by banana_008

A beautiful, wearable red that lasts. This is my second tube. The first one I got 8 years ago when I was 15 and I just recently remembered it because of makeup alley.