MAC Retro Lipstick

4.6

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is the right red for me. I am Asian with olive skin and the red lipsticks that have blue in them always turn very pink fuchsia on me. Retro has some brown in it and is more of a warmer but neutral red. I am always on the lookout for more red lipsticks but I find myself coming back to Retro a lot. I also like to pair it over MAC's lip pencil in Plum.

on 3/4/2008 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is my red lipstick. It is more subtle and flattering than Russian Red, Chili or Ruby Woo on me.
Retro has a smooth texture with good pigment coverage. It is neither too dry or too slick.

on 2/8/2008 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

One of my mac purchases today. I had gone in intending to purchase Chili (which I still want btw for a bolder lip) and swatched retro. Retro is a beautiful warm red, darker and more sedate than Chili. I'm not sure of the official shade description from mac but those aren't always accurate descriptions anyway. It's straight up red on me, no pink, no coral, etc. I'd probably go w/ brick red if I had to narrow it down to the exact tone I have pigmented lips and golden skintone. MAC C3 in studiofix powder, 1.5 (shell) in Chanel T.I.

on 12/28/2007 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I love the coral cheeks and coral lips look (think Rhianna), so when i found this colour i was quite happy. I had previously been using Nars Taos blush with Stila Jo for my peachy/coral look but the lipstick was a bit pink. This MAC lipstick is definitely a better alternative. I have only used it a couple of times and so far, its ok. I'm a NC45.

on 11/21/2007 8:26:00 PM

This is a really pretty lipcolor. A nice brick shade that is perfect for fall/winter. It does seem like it bleeds some so def. use liner with it, and it feels drying as well so next time I wear it I will more than likely put some clear lipglass over it. I wouldn't repurchase because I don't think I'll wear it a whole lot, but worth being a B2M :)

on 8/17/2007 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

i love this lipstick. it fits the online description pretty well on me, a dark pinky brown, almost a red brown, and it is very matte and classic looking, very veronica lake. it can be a bit drying, so i often top it off with clinique lip gloss in airkiss or put some rosebud salve under it. but the color is beautiful and matches my warm skintone very well. i actually think i like the color better than my HG, clinique's pink chocolate, but i don't like the texture as much, it's not as smooth and a little too dry.

on 2/21/2007 9:54:00 AM

This is a lovely brick-red shade, with just the right balance of pink and brown, and no orange undertones. I'm fairly light-skinned with pinkish undertones, reddish-brown hair, and blue eyes, and this color looks good on me...not too pink, and definitely not too orange-y, which many brick-reds seem to do. I do moisturize my lips with Kiehl's lip balm before applying this, as it's a bit dry straight out of the tube. I also use a lip brush; since the pigments are intense, a little goes a long way, especially during daytime wear. This is a great shade that can go from day to evening effortlessly. It's the best, most wearable brick-red I've ever found, and I'll definitely repurchase.

On my PPP (red hair, green eyes) Retro shows up as a warm red. It lives up to its namesake-- a very pearls-and-pumps color. It's a satin, but like many MAC satins, it feels more matte. But it has good staying power, too. I wear it a lot to work, when I want a classic, presentable look.

on 7/29/2006 9:28:00 PM

I've been using this shade for years--- I love it. I saw it on a co-worker and she is fair skin, with light brown hair and green eyes. The color looked so natural on her, yet I gave her lips a nice glow. I have darker hair and hazel eyes and it works for me too. It's like having a natural pigment of color on your lips-- it's not too much. Though I have to use blistex or lip gloss, because it's a matt and my lips will look too chapped other wise.

on 5/5/2006 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I recived this color in a swap. It's a pretty deep dark brown red, that on my lips is only brown. I mix this with a light pink lipstick and it highlights the red tones in the lipstick. It's pretty, but I don't really like the Satin finishes, I find them drying. I wouldn't buy this color again, I'd pick something a little brighter.

Recommended for Medium Skin