November 22, 2014 | 1638 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2014 10:05:00 AM More reviews by eselle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using organic unrefined virgin coconut oil (across two brands/jars) as a sugar facial cleanser/scrub as well as moisturiser (mixed with lavender oil) for some months now, and it's done me quite well so far - but not spectacularly, which is slightly disappointing considering all the hype about the wonders of coconut oil.

- Improved general appearance of skin, but them blackheads tho:
It is a very decent cleanser (no soap! totes amaze) and does its job in ridding sebum, dirt, etc. I have gotten to enjoy some periods of good days when my skin was visibly clear. Unfortunately, I'd still have some noteable blackheads around my nose which I'd have to intentionally scrub away and prevent with lemon baking soda. I wish coconut oil could just help with it all, but the potential of coconut oil clogging your pores might be the issue here.

- Super greasy skin no more!:
I used to have very oily skin, but coconut oil has zapped away the grease by providing enough moisture. However, I have been left with one or two dry patches which coconut oil cannot exactly remedy (dryness likely caused by tea tree oil or ACV). And watch the amount of coconut oil you put on your face - it is very true that a little of this stuff goes a long way, as an excessive amount can leave your face unnecessarily oily (coconut oily) and clog your pores.

- Not exactly the miracle acne-zapper (external use):
I have light-medium acne and tend to break out hormonally. Unfortunately, CO has done nothing for my hormonal acne and I've curiously had breakouts on my jaw/neck area. Perhaps it's the way I cleanse and wash my face & how greasy my hair can get. And truth be told, there have been days when I fell lazy and did not wash my face (it doesn't help that my face doesn't get oily anymore, ironically thanks to coconut oil!), so that could definitely be a factor. I am also not faithful with daily oil pulling, and only occasionally take coconut oil internally.

All in all, it's good enough for me to be content with using it, and not to mention the many uses coconut oil can offer beyond facial skin care! While I would still be happy to recommend it to others, I am currently contemplating trying other oils which might work better for my skin (or jaw/neck, in my case?).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2014 12:37:00 PM More reviews by BeautyBrunette16

I see what all the hype is about! Finally bought a jar, and used it as a hair mask so far, and it's made a huge improvement!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2014 10:13:00 AM More reviews by blackdawn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Deep Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

HOLY GRAIL product I use it for a number of things I use it on my hair, I also mix it in with my conditioner for deep conditioning it can feel heavy on the hair though especially if you have fine hair like I do and like to stretch out the time between washes I have very long hair (waist length) and frequent washing causes breakage for me but it really does add shine to dark hair and makes hair thicker. Because of its antibacterial properties its excellent as shaving cream and prevents ingrown hairs. I also slap some coconut oil all over my body before I exfoliate my skin. I tried using this as a make up remover at first it made my skin so soft and it was wonderful because it even removes water proof mascara but within a week it clogged my pores and I broke out :( still a great product though just dont use it on my face or neck because of acne. I have gone through countless jars of it and will never be without it

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2014 7:42:00 AM More reviews by BreahPickles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm part Indian, so I grew up using coconut oil for everything, including cooking.
I use CO as a lotion, in my hair, for oil pulling, for everything.
It makes me hair and skin so soft and shiny....
I even use it to take off my eye makeup.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2014 11:16:00 AM More reviews by Woman71

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Terrible mistake, never again. It wont wash out of my hair. Stylist put loads of coconut oil to WET hair. Now its stuck. What can i do? Washing wont help. Hair is ruined.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 9:55:00 AM More reviews by emjanetemp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

LOVE LOVE LOVE. I purchased a huge jar of this at costco for only $20, and it lasts forever. The main reason I bought mine is for my dry hair, I warm up a small amount in the microwave then put it in my dry hair and sleep with it in overnight, when I rinse it out in the morning my hair not only smells fantastic but is so soft and visibly better looking. The great thing about this is that it has hundreds of uses. I will never go without this product again!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 4:03:00 PM More reviews by countrygirl28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hair Review: Better than any deep conditioning mask you can buy! Put it on your hair and wait all day to wash out, or sleep with it in (with a plastic cap obviously) and shampoo it out in the morning, makes an amazing difference in your hair and is the BEST oil for hair.

Skin review: Horrible, makes me break out, feels oily and disgusting!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2014 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Lady5andy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love coconut oil! It's really a product that you can use everywhere! I use it to remove my makeup, to moisturize my body, to moisturize my face and my lips, to tame fly away hair and to tame split ends.

I also use it for oil pulling, to help with my KP (Keratosis Pilaris) and it's helping. It's not enough, I need to use a BHA too but I think it helps.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2014 8:43:00 AM More reviews by lushblush

Coconut oil is amazing! It can be used for so many things: Dry skin, cleanser, makeup remover, moisturizer, body cream, cooking food, chapped lips and even for growing eyelashes and eyebrows! I remove my mascara with this, it is a much healthier way and prevents my eyelashes falling out, it also lengthens my eyelashes really well! My eyelashes are sooo much longer and curlier now I apply this every night. Another thing is, it really helps dry skin and one tub lasts for ages.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 6:52:00 AM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is always in my house since I first discovered it four years ago. I use it for hair, makeup remover, moisturizer for body, targeted wrinkle moisturizer and its a fine replacement for a personal lubricant or a vaginal moisturizer. Due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties I have no misgivings using it for the health of my lady parts. To keep everything top top I apply several times a week before I climb into bed. Used to be my little secret---now you know...lol I also take coconut oil orally to keep infections and yeast overgrowth in my body at bay as well give the metabolism a little boost. I would never be without this as its replaced many products I previously used with something completely natural.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No