Ulta Ulta- whole store

3.1

on 7/24/2013 10:41:00 PM

My local Ulta is awesome! The SAs are surprisingly kind and helpful (I've been to some with some pretty god awful SAs) and the store is very organized. I go here for mostly DS items that I can never seem to find anywhere else, such as NYX and Essence. I wish they stocked the DS side more often because usually the NYX lipsticks are all gone. But, they always have great sales! So I will continue buying from this location until I move. I prefer Sephora for HE sales, though.

on 7/22/2013 7:21:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have been trying to make an order on ULTA.com for days and continue to encounter problems resulting in the message, "We are experiencing difficulty processing your order. Please try again later or use another payment method". Despite trying three different internet browsers, using a payment method that is successful on several other major websites, attempting at different times of the day, etc. there has been no resolution. The response I get from their customer service team? A standard response that is copied and pasted, saying to check that my details are correct. It seems to me that they don't care if they have customers or not. Lastly, I just discovered that with each attempt I made there is now a pending charge on my account! It is not worth all the time and hassle, I would highly recommend going with Sephora or Walgreen's for your beauty and cosmetic products as they make shopping a pleasant experience and manage their businesses professionally. Do an internet search for 'problems with ULTA website' and apparently this is a recurring issue.

on 6/29/2013 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I use a mix of DS and HE brands, so Ulta suits my needs better than Sephora does. I save a lot of money with their DS brand sales, not just with makeup, but with skincare as well. Im a platinum member, which means my points never expire and I can cash them in at any time to save money on my purchases. Personally, I feel like their points system is MUCH better than Sephoras. You need as little as 100 points to save 3.50 on a purchase, which can also be coupled with the 3.50 off 10$ coupons they have all the time. I know some people are annoyed that you cant use those coupons on some prestige brands, but it really just comes down to reading the fine print. Ulta DOES send out 20% off prestige coupons from time to time.

The staff can be hit or miss, anyone who reads this website regularly usually knows more about makeup than most Ulta staff members. It just comes down to knowing what you want and seeking it out, MUA is better for reviews on products than someone who only works at Ulta part time. I will always go there for makeup and skin care purchases.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

While many reviewers on this site tell true horror stories of mean and nasty SA's whose looks could kill, I've had a rather different experience with my Ulta.
To begin, the SA's there are fantastic! There are some truly spectacular ones who go out of their way for customers. I was once on a desperate hunt for a specific NYX product, so the manager called another Ulta farther away, found out they had one left, and drove over to get it for me. That is service. The worst SA experience so far has been ones that are only average. I haven't the slightest idea what their training program is like, but they rock it.
But this is where my love for Ulta ends. I shop there for two main reasons; sales, and because they are the ONLY store within a 15 minutes distance that sells NYX and Essence. NYX happens to be one of my all-time favorite makeup brands, and Essence has some old standbys of mine. I love browsing around, but those two displays frequently look like a tornado passed through them. Customers test whatever whenever, despite signs asking them not to, and more than once I've had to exchange these products when I brought them home and discovered they had been tested. The displays are also frequently messy and not too well cared for. To solve this, I'll call ahead of time to see when the next shipment is due, so I can get my hands on my favorite products, and hopefully it'll be stocked to the point where if an item has been tested, it wont be the only one in stock.
I really wish Ulta would take care of this testing issue. While they have marked a few items as testers (like foundation and primers) other items like eye shadow are pretty much anybody's game.
Overall, I do love my Ulta. Where else can you get drugstore and department in the same location? I'm not sure, but I'll continue to shop there...just using more caution than should be necessary.

on 5/23/2013 1:04:00 PM

A new Ulta sprouted up near our community and though I had heard of them I had never been in one of their stores, I had to check it out immediately! The store is huge, clean and organized, the SA are very nice and don't hover. I like that Ulta also carries the cheaper brands, being the bargain hunter I am, sometimes I just don't want to pay $20.00 for a mascara! I do feel the staff at Sephora is more in the know when it comes to the lines they carry though. I don't like that they don't do perfume samples, I love that Sephora gives out perfume samples, but some of the Sephoras do not carry some of the scents I want to try out and Ulta does (I decide on perfumes over a 2-3 day span). All in all, I do like the store but I like Sephora best.

on 5/16/2013 8:25:00 PM

I went to the Ulta in Las Vegas when I was going through town a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice clean store, and they really tried to be helpful.
I thought they were lovely people but they really didn't seem to know much about any of the smaller brands they carry, and they also don't have a lot of stock in - the shelves are full on the big names and practically empty on any smaller brands. Since I like to try to support newcomers to the market, and I rely on the store people to help me with what's good and what they love, I was disappointed.

That said, the customer service was excellent - not their fault they have not been properly trained on the products, for sure! I wonder who is in charge of that?

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I generally end up going to Ulta looking for their promos - BOGO 50%, get this when you buy X dollars from this brand, etc - but never end up actually buying anything because the promo doesn't cover a specific thing that I wanted, such as the Revlon Lip Butters or the Maybelline Colour Tattoos. I've had two memorable customer service situations there, one good, and one bad:
I went in to look for the Summer Limited Edition Colour Tattoos in lavender and seashore and the display was empty of them, so I asked the guy at the counter. He immediately went to see if there were any left and found a single lavender one in a storage drawer! It was a bit of a dig so I believe that one of the employees was trying to save it for themselves, but it was mine now.
On another day I went in to check out the new UD eyeliner colours and wandered toward where the store keeps box sets that have been either bashed in too much to put on full price or that have hung around too long. It's also near a bunch of skin care products. A seller for one of the skin care products pounced on me like a spider on a fly caught in the web and I was stuck there for 10 minutes trying to be polite as she tested some of her line on me! It was very creepy because she kept stroking my hand and arm and made me really uncomfortable. I almost decided right then never to go into Ulta again!
Given the choice I would much rather go into Sephora because they don't mind talking about their products, giving samples, or testing ANYTHING on you when you ask. (But not when you don't.) I wish my Sephora wasn't 45 minutes away!

on 5/12/2013 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

If Ulta weren't the only place around that carried LORAC and Mario Badescu, I would never go in this store.

It's bright and clean and nicely organized but most of the stuff is a pile of junk. And don't get me started on SAs who don't understand the meaning of the word "sensitive skin." Maybe I'm being sensitive but when I say I have rosacea, any SA working in a skincare store should know that they shouldn't push glycolic acid products on me.

The prospect of salon hair car products was intriguing until I discovered that they don't sell the two brands I use -- L'Oreal Professionel and Kerastase.

on 5/12/2013 8:30:00 AM

I was so excited when I heard Ulta was opening 5 minutes from my house. However....that didn't last long! Ulta never has anything I need since they are always "waiting for a delivery". The coupons are ridiculous since they are not for any of the desired brands but can be used only on drugstore things. They use them to entice you to come into the store. Their brands are low end and drugstore brands. I will not go back since the salespeople are rude and not versed on any of the products that they have. I totally prefer Sephora's! As far as samples go, I also was told they don't have any only to see them put some in the bag of the person after me. I have never used their salon services since I always hear the "salon staff" talking about other customers and I don't need them talking about me! Ulta needs to train their help both in the products and the way they treat people. I was going to apply for a job there and SO GLAD I didn't. Sephora is much more professional, will always give samples and, for the most part, have what I need. In my opinion...ULTA sucks!

I used to be an avid fan of Ulta. Until one day I stopped by the York PA location...
I was looking for Ojon oil. A SA at another Ulta had recommended it for her 100% beautiful Hispanic/Puerto Rican ringlets. So I decided to head to York and ask the manager where to find. She was small talking and I told her about the SA who had GREAT results. This manager wrinkled her semi middle aged face as if I said something so beneath her and that she was disgusted.

Maybe she dislikes or knows the SA but I think something more sinister was the root cause.
I do not want the manager of a store I spend over 2 grand at a year to be a nasty racist. Or smug.

I am white but I have noticed Ulta does NOT cater to other ethnicities. I will not support this behavior. Sephora was the FIRST to carry ethnic products before some of them are now "mainstream".

Ulta's overall attitude is turning into a Wal-Mart of beauty. Trashy. I cut back ALOT simply because this encounter stuck with me so much I refuse to shop at Ulta.

Popular Other Products