beautyblender the sponge

4.4

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am so late in finally purchasing this product! with different foundations, i use specific brushes for each one to get a specific coverage. My mufe hd has been sitting in my vanity untouched because i just didnt like how thick it looked on my face, but the beauty blender really blends it nicely! i just need one squirt of foundation, use my BB damp and voila! seamless

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I was reluctant to buy this seeing I can get a good foundation brush with my MAC discount for this price. I finally caved and bought it. It is a nice change from the traditonal brush. Blends foundation beautifully. I dont love the sponge, but I do like the addtion to my kit. It's a nice option to have, and does create a flawless look. Although, nothing you cant recreate with a brush.

on 12/11/2014 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I used to use a stippling brush to apply my MUFE HD foundation but since getting this have become a convert.

It gives me a really nice airbrush finish and application time is very quick! A definite bonus for a non-morning person like me who gets ready til the last minute before running out to catch the bus!

i use the pointy end to apply undereye concealer (tarte creaseless concealer) and am very pleased so far. A little goes a long way if you're looking for that everyday, natural yet flawless look.

I think part of the reason this works well for me is that my products are on the thicker side. I can see it wasting a lot of product if it's very watery. I must admit I was worried it would absorb most of my foundation but I use almost the same amount (probably slightly more) with the beautyblender. I also love how you can build it up in layers, giving you more coverage without cakiness.

I have the white version and when I wash it with my face wash it looks almost like new again. It's pretty durable so far, and so so soft that it doesn't bother sensitive areas like the under eye (I've had this problem with other, harder sponges).

Overall I really like this and will likely buy it again, but only if I don't find a good dupe because it is definitely overpriced.

on 12/8/2014 4:42:00 PM

so I finally bit the bullet and tried the beauty blender and I will say...its good. Amazing for a reusable sponge but worth the hefty price tag? not so much

when I first purchased this product, it took a bit to get used too since I was so used to using brushes for my foundation for that max coverage, flawless look. So due to you having to wet the sponge and actually using it with the foundation, it was kinda off-putting since because like I mentioned earlier its a wet sponge, I personally felt like it sheered the coverage down a little but, that's not a bad thing. because as it sheers it out slightly, it makes it look alot more natural like second skin almost, and really gives that glowing / even look (best way to put it would be like shiseido advertisements / kpop korean glow). The BEST part about this is that because it sheers down foundations, its the BEST with cream / full coverage foundations that can be cakey if you overdo it (ex: kat von d lock it tattoo foundations / estee lauder double wear max and regular / mac full coverage or studio tech ). One thing I can TRULY appreciate is that because you have to get it wet to use it, you have to clean it after each use anyways seeing as you're gonna wet it under water anyways so in that aspect for lazy people like myself, its a no brainer "kill two birds with one stone" type of ordeal

it TRULY gives it a much more comfortable feel while remaining it to look more skin-like if you're go a little to heavy handed with foundations naturally. also I commend the brand but allowing us to recycle these things by sending it back to the company. NOW THE GRIPE I HAVE IS THE PRICE. yes in certain aspects it is worth it, cause I haven't found a sponge that is TOTALLY 100% SPOT ON as a dupe as of yet. The closest I have found is actually soho brand one from the drugstore / as well as from crown brushes despite that the shape isnt the same. personally though in times of desperation (and being a broke college student) I have ordered the ones from ebay for a $1 each and its not bad. but....its not a dupe it works but its just not the same at all

so would I say the beauty blender is worth it? in the sense yes but would I personally go out of my way to purchase it over & over again?.....sadly here and there when I have the cash to spare but seeing as I am on a budget with just how much I can spend I would say no. if you can afford it however yes totally go for it but if you have brushes that already works for you I don't think you NEEEEED to go out of you're way to purchase this. ITS DEF WORTH GIVING A SHOT THOUGH!

on 12/8/2014 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

To be honest, I'm not loving this for foundation at all. My big thing with foundation is getting a natural, skin-like finish. My skin at the moment is really dry (it gets combo in the summer though), and I have mild acne and fine lines but no textural issues otherwise, nor am I someone who looks for full coverage. I just feel like it's much harder to control the amount/sheerness of your foundation with a sponge, and it always ends up giving me cake-face :( I'm not sure I like this better than fingers, let alone a quality brush. Granted, a good brush is a lot more expensive than this, but it'll last you for years.

On the other hand, I really like it for concealer! I guess it's because I like to tap on concealer (rather than blending it in, like foundation) and this is perfect for that. I'll probably buy the mini ones next, since they seem perfect for concealer.

Judging by how well this works with my concealers, and not foundations, I think the beauty blender is best suited for thicker, creamier formulations rather than the very liquidy, siliconey foundations I like. It's a good product overall (and definitely better than cheaper sponges) so I'll give it a 4, it's just not suited to most of *my* purposes.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Love love love this sponge!!!
It is a must have for anyone who applies Foundation!

So i use foundation nearly everyday, and before i was just using a standard foundation brush from Estee Lauder, and it was so difficult to get in the corners around your nose, mouth, in between eyebrows. I hated how my foundation would come out patchy. So after watching many many You tube videos everyone always used the Beauty Blender.
So i ordered mine off Amazon, there was two in a box, and it also came with the cleanser. It was 24.99 which for a sponge is abit pricey but its soooo WORTH and i have not used a foundation brush since!! No streaks, no patches, just smooth flawless coverage!

Before using the beauty blender, make sure you wet it with warm water and it will expand.
Towel dry it
And your ready to use!

I start off with moisturiser all over my face- using Aveeno wih shea butter- great for dry and oily skin.
Then i use a primer- im using the Revlon primer and Giorgio Armani Master Primer- both are great and provide a smooth canvas to work on.
I apply my foundation using a pump on my hand and using the big side of the beauty blender i dab it onto my foundation, i then bounce the sponge on my face, just bounce! No dragging it across your face! Thats all!
You use the pointy side for round the nose area, corners of mouth, under the eyebrows, around the eyes.
I also like to use the pointy side to apply my concealer under the eyes, nose and forhead.
It does not leave any streaks, or patches. I dont think it makes the foundation cling onto spots, it kind of glides over it so it covers it. It doesnt make it look crusty.

Always make sure to wash it before using it again, and always remember to dampen it before using!
The beauty blender i got came with a cleanser so i used to wet the sponge then apply cleanser on both sides and massage it into the sponge and wash it out- hey presto! Its good as new!
If you dont want to buy the cleanser, you can use baby shampoo, its good and cleans the sponge just aswell.

Hope this helps!!

on 12/2/2014 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've been using this sponge for about a month now and I have to say that I love it.

This sponge applies my makeup better than the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion sponge. Although I still love that sponge, and I will buy it when I cannot afford the BeautyBlender's $20 price tag, the BeautyBlender just applies my makeup more even.

This sponge is less dense and more "bouncy" than the Real Techniques sponge. I also found that it takes less time to blend in my foundation with the BeautyBlender than the Real Techniques sponge, and the sponge soaks up less foundation. It is also easier to clean it. What I also found peculiar is that this sponge dries faster than the Real Techniques sponge. By the end of the day, my BeautyBlender sponge is back to its original size, while the Real Techniques sponge took about 2-3 days to fully dry out to its original size.

This sponge has also outlived my other Real Techniques sponges. Usually about two weeks in, my Real Techniques sponge has rips and holes all of the place due to my long nails. But the BeautyBlender has stayed perfect, even though I clean it more aggressively.

The $20 price tag is cheap, but it is worth it. It has already outlived my Real Techniques sponge and blends my makeup better. I can see this lasting me a long time. I will replace this eventually as sponges, even when cleaned regularly, can get a little nasty. But considering how much easier this one cleans and lasts, I don't see myself replacing it as often as with the Real Techniques sponge.

on 11/30/2014 7:54:00 PM

Buying the beauty blender may be the best thing I have ever done in the history of wearing makeup. I didn't want to give into the hype, they are pretty pricey and have to be replaced way more often than a brush. I have at sephora recently only because they had a few holiday package deals. This thing is amazing. I was a little intimated at first because I bought a knock off on amazon and just could not get it to work. However, after coming it to the original beauty blender they are nothing alike. The knock off is just rubber where is beauty blender is actually a sponge. This makes your foundation look so airbrushed and flawless. I feel like you could use a lesser quality foundation and it will still look amazing. Can't wait to use it with my higher quality foundations. Will be a constant in my beauty routine!

on 11/18/2014 1:04:00 PM

at first i didn't want to give in to the hype and purchase this product, but then glossybox included the beautyblender in one of their boxes and ever since i began using it, i'm hooked. it's a bit overpriced, in my opinion, but these last at least 3 months (i dispose of mine after 3 months) and there's bound to be a sale or good deal at a retailer that sells it.
at first i didn't know how to use it, apparently you use it damp. lmao. it was a "duh" moment for me. i use this with foundation and creams and it works beautifully. it creates quick and amazing results. i probably wouldn't trade it for anything.
the egg shape is especially useful because the smaller end works well to use on your undereyes or smaller areas. i use it sideways to blend out my contouring and the wide end for foundation.
this product probably wouldn't work well for people who use water-based foundations, in which case the sponge would just soak it up. i don't recommend this for more liquidy foundations. when using this for foundation, put the foundation on your face and not the sponge, it will blend better that way and you won't get a huge chunk of your foundation in one area.
the material is divine and the stippling motions you use while using this can feel really therapeutic (i used it on my sister and she said she felt like she was getting a facial). lol.
i wash mine after each use, using baby shampoo. some people wash their's after using it a few times but i'm a bit more concerned about keeping my foundation tools clean.
overall, this is a great product and i highly recommend it.

on 11/18/2014 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I don't use brushes. I've used cheapie disposable sponges in the past for cream/liquid products and have been satisfied. Mostly I just use my fingers to apply what I wear now, which are TMs or sheer liquid foundations.
Few weeks back I bought the Target brand blending sponge for 5 bucks. It's latex, very smooth, dense and stiff. Not super absorbent and doesn't swell up much or hold much water. I find that it applies my TM MUCH BETTER than fingers. Coverage is much smoother, more even, more natural-looking and not too sheer for my needs. I took my magnifying mirror outside and compared fingers to sponge, and sponge won hands down. I do find that I use a bit more product than when applying with fingers. THIS ONLY PROVES TO ME THAT I LIKE SPONGES BETTER THAN FINGERS.

When I tried the BeautyBlender, I was surprised that it was much softer, dryer, more absorbent and much less dense than the Target sponge. It's not latex, so maybe that's the difference. In any event, I found I used a lot more product than with fingers or the Target sponge. Not good when my TM is 27 bucks an ounce. I don't like the shape of it, the Target sponge works better on nose, jawline, anywhere that has curvatures. Application was easy and looked good, but certainly no better than the Target sponge. THIS JUST PROVES TO ME THAT I LIKE THE RESULTS FROM THE CHEAP LATEX SPONGE MUCH BETTER.
Thankfully my friend is a super product junkie with a big budget; she's always handing me down things, and this BB sponge was one of them. I wouldn't pay for it and am glad I didn't. Side note: she's kind of an expert and used the BB a couple times and didn't care for it at all.

In the end, non disposable sponges are breeding grounds for bacteria. I won't repurchase either of them. What I will do is revisit disposable cosmetic sponges, as the one thing that became clear to me in all of this is that I prefer sponges to fingers.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools