September 21, 2014 | 988 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Pure White Linen

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2008 6:08:00 AM More reviews by dioraddict84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I was looking for a nice fragrance for my mother. She was already an Estee Lauder fan so I thought I'd try to find something for her from them for a gift. This was the newest fragrance at the time, so I gave it a sniff. I really enjoyed it. Pure White Linen is a nice fruity floral that isn't overpowering at all (like the original White Linen). My mom just loved it and it's become one of her favorites.

Top Notes:

White Heliotrope

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2008 12:15:00 AM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Pure White Linen is an airy floral that briefly calls to mind the classic White Linen, and then becomes a gentle, seriously flowery scent. It's fresh and pretty, and different enough from the gazillion other fruity florals, that it caught my attention. I definitely notice white ginger and cardamom in the top notes, and I love this combination. It provides a good balance for the classical rose and lily notes that come from the original White Linen. I don't smell any citrus or sweetness. Like the original, it's very clean, and rather pristine. But while the white linen in the original fragrance was a tailored suit worn to lunch while somehow avoiding wrinkles, PWH is light shorts and a comfortable jacket worn on a day of boating, complete with wrinkles and watery splashes. PWL disappears on my skin on very hot days. If I'm indoors, in air conditioning, it lasts well, and I am able to detect it. I guess this will be a cool weather scent for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2008 5:41:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I got a mini of this as a GWP. The bottle is elegant, of frosted glass. The juice inside? Well, it's nothing impressive to me. It's a non-descript fresh floral, which would probably work better as a home scent or to freshen linens. It's unoffensive, and fresh. As a perfume, though, I don't think it has that oomph. Overall, I would not purchase a full-size bottle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2008 10:47:00 AM More reviews by WillyWonka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Bugspray? Hairspray? Come on--this is a BEAUTIFUL, clean, crisp scent that is unique and timeless. Get a tan, put on a white polo, spray this terrific fragrance on and you'll feel completely "put together." You can't go wrong with this one. A very classy scent.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2008 5:27:00 AM More reviews by CandyApple85

I got this sort of by accident - having tested the original white linen, i adored it, and some months later decided to buy a bottle. i was a little rushed at the time, so i picked this up believing it was that gorgeous scent i had sampled long ago - of course i got it home and tried it and realised my mistake. at first i thought about giving it to my mother, because this really isnt my type of scent at all. i tend to go for quite heavy orientals and gourmands, and this one, on me, is very fresh and crisp. but i gave it a chance, and its grown on me quite a bit. i think its great for office wear and i've recieved compliments on it. Its very long lasting and quite strong, so a little goes a long way. i get a lot of warm citrussy notes, grapefruit is very prominent, which i think makes this perfume quite unusual. i can also detect an iced tea type scent. i don't find that this one really changes much throughout the day, it doesnt seem very layered on me. it pretty much smells identical at 10pm as it does when i first spray in the morning. i think this is a very nice perfume for a warm summer day, quite uplifting. as for would i buy it again, my answer is actually, maybe! i'll have to see how i feel when the bottle is empty!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2008 4:18:00 AM More reviews by tennpal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not getting where this has ANYTHING to do with White Linen. It has zero crispness, and smells like an old, old perfume like back in the 70's called "Muget" (pron. mu-gay) (french). I hated that perfume and I dislike this PWL too. I am not getting the "it's like watered down WL" To me it's an entirely different smell. I'm very glad I don't have any co workers that wear this!! I couldn't take it. It's one of the first more costly type perfumes I've ever bought that I had to wash it off of my arm. I gave it untill "dry down" to be fair, and ended up washing it off. : (

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2008 12:16:00 PM More reviews by jiicky

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Pure White Linen (unlike Pure White Linen Breeze) is a little sister fragrance to the original White Linen. They belong to the similar family of fragrances although the associations and olfactory impression each has differ quite a bit. The Estee Lauder website claims that it is supposed to smell like red tulips (frankly, I have never noticed tulips to have much of a scent at all, whatever...), iced rose tea (yep), a million other floral notes (I guess) with accents of cardamon (none whatsoever that I can detect).

To clarify on all the mass confusion, Estee Lauder released 4 fragrances: 1) White Linen, 2) White Linen Breeze, 3) Pure White Linen (reviewed here) and 4) Pure White Linen Breeze. If I were to order these 4 fragrances in order of strength & crispness (from sharpest to most mellow): White Linen > White Linen Breeze (still sharp smelling) >> Pure White Linen (relatively smooth) >> Pure White Linen Breeze (very dilute and honey-ish)

To me, Pure White Linen is a watered down White Linen (about 50% of the original concentration) MINUS ALL the bright, harsh notes with fruit tea notes ADDED in. It has all the clean, starched feeling of White Linen without the aldehydic moth-ball repellent elements-- it is considerably smoother and much, much more casual than the original White Linen. Whereas the original White Linen smells very much like a Hamptons, old-money scent, and White Linen Breeze retains the crisp, brightness without the hard edge, Pure White Linen is a more youthful fragrance as it is sheer, light and mellow while staying much closer to the skin than either White Linen or White Linen Breeze.

Pure White Linen should **NOT** be compared with Pure White Linen LIGHT BREEZE which is entirely a different fragrance (mostly Lipton tea sweetened with honey). I am not even sure why Estee Lauder chose to name PWLLB in this manner-- just leads to mass confusion.

Pure White Linen is good fragrance for school/work/ non-formal gatherings because it lacks harshness and is not too overpowering. It is definitely not as cool or confident a scent as the original White Linen but much more wearable on a day-to-day basis. Personally I like both the original White Linen and Pure White Linen but a quick look through the reviews seems to indicate that I am in the minority. People who dislike White Linen might be pleasantly surprised by Pure White Linen and should therefore give it try.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2008 5:35:00 PM More reviews by VioletOrchid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This is the smell of summer, at least refracted through the Estee Lauder company's advertising, which I freely admit I buy into. Gwyneth always looks cool, collected and as if she is relaxing into a lot of money. That is what PWL smells like to me. It can be a bit "bright", or sinus-clearing, I think another reviewer called it, on the top notes. Wait a minute - it relaxes down and manages to smell chilly (I guess that's aldehydes?). In fact, I don't wear this if the temperature isn't going to be above 60 or so - it's too cold. You can smell the utter cleanliness of this. I think it was in that wonderful Perfumes: the Guide book that the reviewers said of this or the classic White Linen that this is how American women smelled sexy - clean, bright and ready for the day. And they're exactly correct. This is a fragrance for grown-ups in that a woman who successfully wears this knows she's sexy.

This lasts all day on me and is light and breezy but lasts - delightful.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 1:47:00 AM More reviews by kzolin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I know this one is popular, but I'm afraid it produces a sinus-burning, detergent smell on me -- perhaps it would be better on clothing than skin. On the plus side: Beautiful bottle, good lasting power and well-suited for summer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 12:37:00 AM More reviews by LovingMe830

Light, crisp & quite delicious for spring & summer..It's the only fragrance that My boyfriend LOVES on me! I never liked an EL perfume until this one :-)