Giovanni Smooth as Silk

3.8

Not tested on animals

New version: Aqua (purified water), sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, decyl glucoside, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoamphoacetate, lauryl glucoside, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) leaf extract, *citrus aurantium dulcis (valencia orange) extract, *citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit extract, *cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass) extract, *echinacea purpurea extract, *ginkgo biloba extract, *glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *macrocystis pyrifera (sea kelp) extract, *mangifera indica (mango) extract, *salix alba (willow bark) extract, xanthan gum, glycol distearate panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), citric acid, polysorbate 20, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, natural fragrance. Older version: Aqua (purified water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil*, Valencia Orange (citrus auantium dulcis), Mango (Mangifera Indica)*, Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Schoenanthus)*, Ginkgo Biloba*, Echinacea Angustifolia (echinacea Angustifolia)*, Willow Bark (Salix Alba)*, Sea Kelp (macrocystis pyrifera)*, Chamomile Flower (Chamomila Recruita)*, Soy textured protein*, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis), C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate (coconut derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Stearate, Dimethicone, Vegetable Glycerin, Polyquaternium 10, Olive Oil, Diazolidinyl Urea, Octyl 4-Methoxy Cinnamate (Sunscreen), Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Citric Acid (corn), Fragrance with Essential Oils.

on 2/21/2012 7:28:00 PM

I've had this shampoo for a few days and so far I love it! I have fine, wavy, highlighted hair and an oily scalp, and I've been on the hunt for a good SLS-free shampoo for about a month now. This is the best I've tried so far. My hair did feel slightly tangly combing it out wet today, but I didn't use conditioner this time. I'm very happy with my hair today - it's soft and not flat or limp. Plus the shampoo smells heavenly!

on 2/18/2012 4:35:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Amazing shampoo- cleanses my hair even though its sulfate-free and makes my hair softer and shinier.

on 1/23/2012 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I love the smell of this product and it lathers well and cleans my hair really well. I alternate between this and Unite Eurotherapy, and I really like this as a less pricey alternative. I love the packaging as it takes up less room in my shower caddy! Really lovely product, and I would highly recommend trying this even if you don't have dry or damaged hair, it should be suitable for normal and oily hair too.

on 1/23/2012 9:16:00 PM

I have dry hair and over the last two weeks this product has really helped put moisture back into my hair. I use it with the conditioner of the same type. My hair feels very clean without feeling stripped and over the last few weeks my hair feels fuller and healthier.

I bought this for $7.50 at Target with a $1.50 off coupon that came of the bottle (full price: $9). I still consider this price to be relatively expensive since I've used Herbal Essence/Garnier/etc. forever. But, they were really not doing anything good for my hair and I think the price jump has definitely been worth it. Plus, Giovanni is organic and cruelty free. (:

on 1/19/2012 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is my favorite shampoo. I love it. It really is smooth as silk, and what I have found is that some organic/sulfate-free shampoos don't have a good lather, but that's not the case for Giovanni. It has an amazing lather. I highly recommend this product.

Recieved samples of tea tree shampoo ans smooth as silk conditioner from an online store in india(medplusbeauty),when i shopped for some other cosmetics.liked it in my first wash.then wanted to see reviews before buying it.read mixed reviews ,then here after reading snake_hips's review,bought it without second thought.reasonable cost ,ingredient list was way too good.fine.let me give you my hair story and opinion.i'm indian,have very straight hair that is voluminous too and is long below hips.i have bangs and mild layers too.planning to stop wasting hair layering ,instead trying to grow more so that it can be shaped into an slight u(a straight with mild curvature).i oil regularly.its nilibringadi keratailam from kottakkal arya vaidhya sala,that my scalp loves.being a well nourished person,whose onlybad habit is having tea and a sweet tooth:was shedding 100 hairs at least everyday.i have had the experience of using l'oreal hair products(liss extreme),schwarzkopf products like smooth control,repair rescue and others,vichy(of which the dandruff shampoo,is way too good and quite essential sos)etc. being a south indian as a child it was a homemade shikakai powder milled finely with thirty other ingredients(amla,rose petals,orange rinds,hibiscus leaf and petals,vetiver,green gram,raw rice,broken channa gram,sandalwood sticks, reetha,fenugreek and many more that only my grandmother knows ),that i have used to wash hair with. my hair cannot be made into a single plait,it was that thick.also i found linear lines on my finger tips that sometimes bled after i had an hair bath.later did i find out that those were cause by the straight nature of my hair with good tensile strength. naturally as you grow your hair volume goes a bit down.after twenty the normal physiological changes and the high demand of academic stress gave me continuous dandruff and hair fall.by the time i was into shampoos as they were less messy and the shikakai powder was giving me acnee on my sensitive skin. i started having painful scalp acne.when the shampoo i was using was bad i got them immediately or if its okay i got it two days later.and these acnes caused hair fall profusely because of teh inflammation caused.dandruff is a regular issue in winter months.and winter hair fall was 100 hairs per day minimally. i said to myself,if only i could reduce winter hair fall then i can have a very lush hair on my head,hence tried bonacure which was quite good.but of late as the length increased again the issue started.i was not able to pull my hand through my hair.my hubb said that it was because of the thickness.pls come on,don't flatter yourself,'cause any incapability is an underlying abnormality.it was fear of breaking my hair mid shaft that restricted me in finger combing my hair.
now hairloss is due to two reasons.hair falling at the roots and hair breaking mid-shaft.split ends just reduce the growth rate lengthwise.i started suspecting the liss reducing capability of my shampoo.any liss reducing shampoo,denatures the protein in your hair,to give a straight effect.always people speak of hair that is soft.why should hair be soft.is it cotton thread or feather.it should have tensility and toughness.the cosmetic industry wants straight hair with no oomph just like its model with no curves.its easy to prepare denaturizing products as it is easy to stitch dresses for curveless women.the cost of making is very less.
the bad parabens and sls in these shampoos were making my well cared hair porous.wanted to change to something sans these.but in india most products like aveda were not available.and in places where these were found online had customs and duty added.still my hair was more precious.so decided to shop for one such.miraculously got a sample of these as mentioned.with one wash what my vichy anti-dandruff was not able to do;this stopped my scalp acne.looking at the sample package thought that it would be very costly for the ingredients added.nay,it was just 400inr.shopped for the smooth silk line and i don't have to mention that in love of the healthy feeling i pampered my hair hundred times in a day combing ,finger combing,styling with french knots and plaits.
members here speak of dryness(and at many other places too) and to add icing to the cake the reviews for this product on you tube are done by hundreds of women with very short hair(makes one wonder and laugh,miserable for the brand)!!!! a farce dryness given by silicone which is going to coat the hair and kill it from the inside.if you need this then here are thousands to select from. shampoo soaks the scalp and it should have no harmful substances.conditioner replenishes the open cuticles to seal the shaft and hence it should be health too.if you get dryness use a silicone based serum as loreal frizz ease serum with argan oil. just like snake_hips's review use little of the product as there wont be big lather ;as with sls.
finally have you dissected the ingredient list of aveda redken and giovanni.ginko biloba,horse tail,nettle, lavender ,rosemary etc,etc,are found only in giovanni.these as you know stimulate and balance the scalp.the line does not speak of -one frizz ease,one dandruff cure,another damage control etc etc.bec all this is gloss and they serve no purpose.a healthy formulated product does everything.moreover i hate one highly rated hair brand that flourishes in selling hairclours.i have this staunch belief that brands that flourish in haircolours,consciously or unconsciously don't think about preventing graying or excluding substances that cause graying.most of the herbal products like dabur amla oils have mineral oil and only key ingredients are stated.
its a boon having found this.

on 1/5/2012 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I wanted to get a sulfate-free S&C after getting my hair highlighted recently, and all of the Giovanni products had good reviews and were some of the only sulfate-free ones at a reasonable price (I have tried the L'Oreal EverPure before, and hated it). I am really happy with this so far! It smells amazing. The scent is exactly like tangerines and very fresh without being cloying. It is the thickest shampoo I have ever used. It cleaned my hair effectively, and lathered as well as a shampoo with sulfates (which is pretty unheard of). I used it only on my roots/scalp and let it rinse down my long hair. My hair was smooth and frizz free without being limp or flat. My color looked better after using this than using my other (with sulfates) shampoo, and the blowout lasted a good three days. I definitely recommend this one, especially to those with color treated hair!

on 11/29/2011 1:19:00 PM

I have a problematic scalp and dry curly hair, most of shampoos irritate, this does not and I have used it for 3 months, love it, very nice gentle smell and leave my hair soft and shiny, no frizz..I use this with the conditioner..smooth as silk..both are sooo goood!

on 11/6/2011 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

No. Never again.

I was in the process of switching to a no SLS & more natural haircare regime & saw this recommended on a few blogs. But I made the mistake of starting to use a couple of new products at once so when my hair looked horrible I didn't know which product was the cause . After a process of elimination I found out the cause of my horrible, frizzy, dry, & matted hair was the Giovanni shampoo. The shampoo left my hair in knots so bad I had to use scissors to cut some out. This was bad because I was trying to grow my hair out. The overall result was the shampoo left me with frizzy & uneven hair. It was a mess!

There are better non SLS shampoos in the market. I now use Matrix Biolage for color treated hair shampoo. It does not leave my hair dry, frizzy & in impossible to comb out knots. This cleans but does not completely strip my hair. Plus I can get all of the shampoo out of the bottle w/o a hassle unlike the Giovanni shampoo.

Please get something other than the Giovanni shampoo & don't make the same mistake I did. Your hair will thank you.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Love, love, love it! It's a great shampoo. Doesn't leave your hair a tangled mess. I saturate my hair with water really well, then get a dime sized amount in my hands. I apply this shampoo just to my roots and suds really well. It smells good, and doesn't leave my hair feeling stripped. Finally, I rinse really well and let the suds run down the length of my hair. The result is hair I can still get my fingers through, and ends that aren't dried out. Give it a shot!

Popular Shampoos