April 19, 2014 | 1839 users online

Shampoo - Giovanni - Smooth as Silk

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2012 9:51:00 AM More reviews by lotustempest

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Recieved samples of tea tree shampoo ans smooth as silk conditioner from an online store in india(medplusbeauty),when i shopped for some other cosmetics.liked it in my first wash.then wanted to see reviews before buying it.read mixed reviews ,then here after reading snake_hips's review,bought it without second thought.reasonable cost ,ingredient list was way too good.fine.let me give you my hair story and opinion.i'm indian,have very straight hair that is voluminous too and is long below hips.i have bangs and mild layers too.planning to stop wasting hair layering ,instead trying to grow more so that it can be shaped into an slight u(a straight with mild curvature).i oil regularly.its nilibringadi keratailam from kottakkal arya vaidhya sala,that my scalp loves.being a well nourished person,whose onlybad habit is having tea and a sweet tooth:was shedding 100 hairs at least everyday.i have had the experience of using l'oreal hair products(liss extreme),schwarzkopf products like smooth control,repair rescue and others,vichy(of which the dandruff shampoo,is way too good and quite essential sos)etc. being a south indian as a child it was a homemade shikakai powder milled finely with thirty other ingredients(amla,rose petals,orange rinds,hibiscus leaf and petals,vetiver,green gram,raw rice,broken channa gram,sandalwood sticks, reetha,fenugreek and many more that only my grandmother knows ),that i have used to wash hair with. my hair cannot be made into a single plait,it was that thick.also i found linear lines on my finger tips that sometimes bled after i had an hair bath.later did i find out that those were cause by the straight nature of my hair with good tensile strength. naturally as you grow your hair volume goes a bit down.after twenty the normal physiological changes and the high demand of academic stress gave me continuous dandruff and hair fall.by the time i was into shampoos as they were less messy and the shikakai powder was giving me acnee on my sensitive skin. i started having painful scalp acne.when the shampoo i was using was bad i got them immediately or if its okay i got it two days later.and these acnes caused hair fall profusely because of teh inflammation caused.dandruff is a regular issue in winter months.and winter hair fall was 100 hairs per day minimally. i said to myself,if only i could reduce winter hair fall then i can have a very lush hair on my head,hence tried bonacure which was quite good.but of late as the length increased again the issue started.i was not able to pull my hand through my hair.my hubb said that it was because of the thickness.pls come on,don't flatter yourself,'cause any incapability is an underlying abnormality.it was fear of breaking my hair mid shaft that restricted me in finger combing my hair.
now hairloss is due to two reasons.hair falling at the roots and hair breaking mid-shaft.split ends just reduce the growth rate lengthwise.i started suspecting the liss reducing capability of my shampoo.any liss reducing shampoo,denatures the protein in your hair,to give a straight effect.always people speak of hair that is soft.why should hair be soft.is it cotton thread or feather.it should have tensility and toughness.the cosmetic industry wants straight hair with no oomph just like its model with no curves.its easy to prepare denaturizing products as it is easy to stitch dresses for curveless women.the cost of making is very less.
the bad parabens and sls in these shampoos were making my well cared hair porous.wanted to change to something sans these.but in india most products like aveda were not available.and in places where these were found online had customs and duty added.still my hair was more precious.so decided to shop for one such.miraculously got a sample of these as mentioned.with one wash what my vichy anti-dandruff was not able to do;this stopped my scalp acne.looking at the sample package thought that it would be very costly for the ingredients added.nay,it was just 400inr.shopped for the smooth silk line and i don't have to mention that in love of the healthy feeling i pampered my hair hundred times in a day combing ,finger combing,styling with french knots and plaits.
members here speak of dryness(and at many other places too) and to add icing to the cake the reviews for this product on you tube are done by hundreds of women with very short hair(makes one wonder and laugh,miserable for the brand)!!!! a farce dryness given by silicone which is going to coat the hair and kill it from the inside.if you need this then here are thousands to select from. shampoo soaks the scalp and it should have no harmful substances.conditioner replenishes the open cuticles to seal the shaft and hence it should be health too.if you get dryness use a silicone based serum as loreal frizz ease serum with argan oil. just like snake_hips's review use little of the product as there wont be big lather ;as with sls.
finally have you dissected the ingredient list of aveda redken and giovanni.ginko biloba,horse tail,nettle, lavender ,rosemary etc,etc,are found only in giovanni.these as you know stimulate and balance the scalp.the line does not speak of -one frizz ease,one dandruff cure,another damage control etc etc.bec all this is gloss and they serve no purpose.a healthy formulated product does everything.moreover i hate one highly rated hair brand that flourishes in selling hairclours.i have this staunch belief that brands that flourish in haircolours,consciously or unconsciously don't think about preventing graying or excluding substances that cause graying.most of the herbal products like dabur amla oils have mineral oil and only key ingredients are stated.
its a boon having found this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2012 1:58:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I wanted to get a sulfate-free S&C after getting my hair highlighted recently, and all of the Giovanni products had good reviews and were some of the only sulfate-free ones at a reasonable price (I have tried the L'Oreal EverPure before, and hated it). I am really happy with this so far! It smells amazing. The scent is exactly like tangerines and very fresh without being cloying. It is the thickest shampoo I have ever used. It cleaned my hair effectively, and lathered as well as a shampoo with sulfates (which is pretty unheard of). I used it only on my roots/scalp and let it rinse down my long hair. My hair was smooth and frizz free without being limp or flat. My color looked better after using this than using my other (with sulfates) shampoo, and the blowout lasted a good three days. I definitely recommend this one, especially to those with color treated hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2011 1:19:00 PM More reviews by mhelena

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have a problematic scalp and dry curly hair, most of shampoos irritate, this does not and I have used it for 3 months, love it, very nice gentle smell and leave my hair soft and shiny, no frizz..I use this with the conditioner..smooth as silk..both are sooo goood!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/6/2011 1:41:00 AM More reviews by sienna2125

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

No. Never again.

I was in the process of switching to a no SLS & more natural haircare regime & saw this recommended on a few blogs. But I made the mistake of starting to use a couple of new products at once so when my hair looked horrible I didn't know which product was the cause . After a process of elimination I found out the cause of my horrible, frizzy, dry, & matted hair was the Giovanni shampoo. The shampoo left my hair in knots so bad I had to use scissors to cut some out. This was bad because I was trying to grow my hair out. The overall result was the shampoo left me with frizzy & uneven hair. It was a mess!

There are better non SLS shampoos in the market. I now use Matrix Biolage for color treated hair shampoo. It does not leave my hair dry, frizzy & in impossible to comb out knots. This cleans but does not completely strip my hair. Plus I can get all of the shampoo out of the bottle w/o a hassle unlike the Giovanni shampoo.

Please get something other than the Giovanni shampoo & don't make the same mistake I did. Your hair will thank you.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2011 8:53:00 PM More reviews by morningblues342

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love, love, love it! It's a great shampoo. Doesn't leave your hair a tangled mess. I saturate my hair with water really well, then get a dime sized amount in my hands. I apply this shampoo just to my roots and suds really well. It smells good, and doesn't leave my hair feeling stripped. Finally, I rinse really well and let the suds run down the length of my hair. The result is hair I can still get my fingers through, and ends that aren't dried out. Give it a shot!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2011 12:26:00 PM More reviews by SepiaRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

This shampoo is just ok, nothing special. It lathers well and feels very soft and moisturizing while I was washing with it and a little goes a long way. I jumped on the sulfate free/organic/natural bandwagon for a while about a year ago and honestly my hair does better with the sulfates and cones. I didn't notice much difference in my hair using this other than my hair seemed to shed more with this shampoo and conditoner. It's funny that the shampoo made my hair softer than the conditioner, the conditioner lost its softness effects in less than 24 hrs but the shampoo made my hair feel so good I almost felt I didn't need the conditioner. I won't be repurchasing this, it's average in every sense of the word.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by caligrl16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG shampoo!!! I got a hug pump bottle of this for 12.99 at marshalls which is a great deal. I have tried quite a lot of sulfate-free shampoos and I thought I loved the organix brazillian keratin therapy one until I tried this! I realized the organix shampoo was really drying to my hair. My hair is really wavy and thick with a lot of frizz. This calms and smooths it like nothing else I have ever used!! It also makes it soo shiny no joke it looks like it could be in a commercial! Since using this, I have gotten tons of compliments on my hair, and this is the only thing that has changed! I really recommend this and will repurchase again and again!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by snake_hips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a really great product! I think perhaps some of the negative reviews are either from people who have oily hair and would be better off using the Tea Tree Triple Treat or the 50:50 Balanced lines - OR - people with long hair who don't really know how to care for it. For combination hair that has oily scalp and dry ends, wash ONLY your scalp with a very small amount of the shampoo diluted with water so it can rinse through and get to all of your scalp - do not wash the ends. Allow the suds from your scalp to run through your hair as you rinse and this will be enough to get your ends clean. You can also try conditioning the ends first and then washing your scalp and then rinsing the conditioner and shampoo out together and if you're *still* dry you can follow with a heavier conditioner or even a few drops of oil such as shea or coconut oil (I'm using argan). I use this shampoo a couple times a week and then once every one or two weeks I clarify with the 50:50 Balanced shampoo. This has worked great for my hair with oily scalp and dry ends. As for the price, you can get the huge pump bottles at Marshalls for about $13 which is a much better deal than the little bottles at Target and they're easier to deal with in the shower, too. I can even refill my large bottle at my local co-op, so that's something else to look into to reduce waste.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2011 9:45:00 PM More reviews by nanshine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using the Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner for years and love it. I have very long, thick hair with a lot of curl to it and this keeps it moist and healthy. I go to the Aveda salon for coloring and I find Giovanni shampoo/conditioner is better for my hair type than Aveda shampoo/ conditioner. I also like that this product is lightly fragranced, unlike the Aveda products. I wash my hair with this every other day and use the conditioner every day.

Before using this product I would occasionally have an itchy scalp. Basically, this shampoo cured it. My guess is that the grapefruit seed extract in the ingredients has something to do with it. I hope Giovanni continues to make this product forever!!! It's the best.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2011 2:22:00 AM More reviews by yc01

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My very damaged and overdry hair looks really good and quite healthy after using shampoo and conditioner combo of this line.