Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is the only product that I have found that works for me. I apply a moisturizer, super city block, primer, foundation then powder and have had no issues with my makeups longevity. I believe Clinique claims it can be used as a primer, however I choose to use my own. I have fairly dry skin and will always use another moisturizer. If you have normal skin, you might not need moisturizer with this. I have had no issues with my makeup "balling up", or experienced any sensitivities. I hate using foundation with sunscreen in it, additionally I don't feel like the SPF 15 that most foundations have will cut it anyways. Love love love the SPF 40 and the fact that I can wear under my makeup. I will continue to repurchase.

on 2/23/2013 8:34:00 PM

Basically one of the worst things I ever put on my face. The only good thing about this is the 40spf. It is a layer on your face you don't need, as long as your moisturizer/foundation has good SPF in it. You are better off putting $5 target sunscreen before your makeup if you need the extra protection.
This is supposedly unscented but all I smell is pickles when I apply it. It leaves a grainy feel on your face(that you can feel and see)
Didn't do much as far as coverage, priming and it definitely does not moisturize!
It is a very thick consistency, yet not moisturizing at all. Makes skin feel heavy and unnatural.
Will never purchase this again, usually I like Clinique but this was a big miss on there part!!!

on 2/2/2013 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Overall I like this product. I was pretty skeptical at first as I'd asked for a primer and the assistant recommended this. Even more concerned when she tried it on my hand and it looked like a light foundation (I have tan/olive skin). However, she said it would blend and I purchased. When first applied my heart sank as my face looked white, but as the assistant advised, it soon blended in and you couldn't see it any more. I wear this over a moisturiser in the weekends and during the week, when I'm at work, I wear with Clinique foundation and it looks great. In fact I think it makes the foundation look even better. Both products together have been good for my sensitive skin, particularly as it is very dry post pregnancy.

on 1/26/2013 4:08:00 PM

This sunscreen pilled (bunched up) on my face. Also it contains octinoxate, an endocrine disruptor, and BHT. Too bad. The smell was nice, kind of minty. My Arcona spf 40 suncreen doesn't bunch up at all and it only contains tit. dioxide and zinc oxide for suncreen, it's a better choice IMO.

on 1/3/2013 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

OK, the only reason why I'm rating this as a 2, is because this was listed as an invisible primer. It's not that. It has a beige tint, and on my dark skin, as others have noted here, the product carries a pale cast. If I really, really blend it, the pale cast isn't so blatant, but I still haven't been able to use it without foundation. And even with foundation, I don't think it's the perfect product for me, since it lightens my skin up a bit, my foundation (also Clinique) appears to be a better match without it.
With that said, I have no other bones with the product. I liked the texture; it's thick so you don't have to slather it on, and it's never given my sensitive skin any problems.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

A little does not go a long way for this product. There isn't much sunsceen in the tube so I am a bit disappointed. But it is oily free and has a smooth and lightweight texture. The only con is that it forms tiny balls of sunscreen on me because my skin is combination. It works really well on my friend, who has oilier skin.

on 12/4/2012 12:47:00 PM

***edit: Had to end up returning this. after wearing it for a few more days, i discovered it gets really oily and and doesn't sit well on my skin.

I've only been using this for two days but I think i like is so far. I use it on a bare face after I apply the dark spot corrector. I then put my MUFE F&B on today and dusted with powder. it hasn't devolved into the oily mess that a lot of others have reported. As well, i think it delivers enough moisture so that my skin doesn't feel dry. I think i may put some moisturizer on my eyes and corners of my mouth tomorrow, though, b/c they feel a little bit drier than other parts of my face but that's all. The only problem i have with it is that it seems like the tube isn't designed that well and tends to squeeze too much out and gets messy.

on 12/2/2012 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i just posted this on skinboard
"I've been using clinique city block 40 under makeup more religiously and even back in summer when i was just using it for like 1/2 months then stopped. i noticed both times that the next day my skin would be clear. even if i accidently slept with makeup on after a night out, which would usually make me break out like mad.

it took a while for me to click that it was when i was wearing it. anyway so for the past month i've been using it like everyday and my skin has like 2 teeny blemishes at most, even though it was my totm. what is in it that is clearing up my skin? is it the zinc? or is it because its acting as a barrier from my makeup meaning less clogged pores?

this is most weird because ss makes me break out usually"

Anyway as you can see not only am i enjoying this as an spf in texas and english weather, im also getting miraculously clear skin from it.

It does give a white cast, so i like to wear this with foundation to avoid looking like a ghost. with m/u it doesnt give white cast in photos, infact i rather like how it makes my skin look in photos and real life. it gives shine so i always follow up with powder but i agree with another poster that this makes my skin look more even and healthy. i stepped up my skincare in the last month and noticed one morning after applying this that my skin looked so great as if i were already wearing tm or f/d. i was going to switch up to boire but i think i'm going to stick with this stuff for a long time now :)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This stuff is my go-to primer/moisturizer/everything for everyday because if I want to not wear full makeup, then this acts as a corrector and helps cover as much redness from acne as possible without makeup! I love it. It has a sheer cast of color which isn't noticeable on my palest of pale skin, and it does have that dewey-sunscreen look, which I actually like. I love that I can use one "no makeup" product to help me use less makeup when I wear it, use no makeup and feel comfortable when I don't want to wear makeup, and ALWAYS provides sun protection! Wonderful product. I usually wash my face and apply this and let it set for a few minutes before applying makeup so it can dry, if I have the time.

I wanted to love this - I think the high spf is great and really wanted to amp up my sun protection. Unfortunately, I found it really drying. It would be fine when I first applied it but by the end of the day, my skin felt dry and tight.

I switched to Elta MD UV Clear SPF 46 and couldn't be happier with it.