October 24, 2014 | 889 users online

Pressed Powders - Bobbi Brown - Sheer Finish Pressed Powder

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2009 2:24:00 PM More reviews by pulidobl

MA advised to get this color Soft Sand #5 and I wear Sand 2 in the Skin foundation. It turns orange after a couple hours which leads me to believe I would have been better off with Pale Yellow, but I am not willing to try again in case the same thing happens. The case is nice with a large mirror and the puff is adequate for touch ups. I did not find this to be overly drying and it does go on very sheer. Try at your own risk if powders tend to oxidize on you.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2009 7:38:00 AM More reviews by Tigrou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

What a disappointment!! In France this retails for 35 euros and it is sooooo not worth it! I had asked the BB rep for a pressed powder for oily skin, but in a transluscent color as I have a problem with powders turning orange on me. She suggested the Pale Yellow and I bought it without trying it. Well, I can tell you that I hate this stuff for several reasons. First, the Pale Yellow is NOT transluscent, but is a white powder that will leave medium to dark skin looking ghost-like! I swear, if I really load the puff, it makes me look like a Geisha! The second thing I hate about this powder is that it does not control oil at all (despite saying so on BB's site). I really think this powder makes my oil problem worse. The final nail in the coffin for this product is the packaging - it is a huge, clumsy square shaped compact with a teeny bit of product in the shape of a circle inside. When you see the huge square compact, you think that you will be getting a lot of product, especially for the high price tag, but you are really only getting a small round disk of powder. The compact is way too large to fit in an evening bag for example, and it is also too big for my make-up bag. I have just purchased a pressed powder from NARS in Beach, and already I love the sleeker compact. I will review the NARS after a few weeks of wear. But no matter what, it can not be worse than this Bobbi Brown crap!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2009 9:42:00 PM More reviews by Sarasotagirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I am apparently the last person on the planet to find out that powder can turn orange on your face. All this time, I thought it was my foundation. I've lost track of the foundations I dismissed because they would get SO DARK. Then I discovered a foundation that I don't usually need to powder (Tarte Smooth Operator, BTW) and I put this back into the makeup drawer. Then one day I thought I would go for absolute flawless skin perfection and use my trusty BB Pale Yellow over SO and ... an hour or so later I was orange. The lightbulb came on. I'm embarrassed to say I hit the pan on this many moons ago, so I've been out and about like a loompah for all that time. My skin is slightly dry and so I can't imagine what this would do to someone with reliably oily skin. And, btw? The case on this cracked almost immediately -- my orange-inducing pan has been sitting in an e.l.f. palette. This gets two lippies because it doesn't irritate my skin and it doesn't look chalky. Gosh. Chalky and orange? One shudders. Sorry, Bobbi. This ain't all that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2009 7:38:00 AM More reviews by maggiealex

i love this powder. it's soooo finely milles it goes on almost transluscent! i have it in pale yellow which leaves a very sheer tone to face just enough to balance out the mild redness i have. i apply it with my MAC 187 brush and i only need a bit of product for the whole face. for oily skin i would recommend the loose form, bc i found this one to be more velvety kinda moisturizing-suitable for mature skin, wrinkles and fine lines and for those you want a more natural glow on face instead of the totally matt all over look...i love the large mirror of the packaging too...the only con i see is the price...other than that it is an excellent powder!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2008 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Sour

I have this in Golden Orange and the name is a very good description of the shade. I used this during the summer when I got a tan and Im looking forward to using it again next summer. Its great at controlling the oilies too

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2008 7:31:00 PM More reviews by huinee

Another UPDATE: I started using this again because I wanted more coverage than my usual loose powder and because it's much more convenient to carry this compact around. I now think that the reason I thought this powder clogged my pores last time was because I never used a proper makeup remover. Now that I do, I don't think this is the cause of my previous breakouts.

UPDATE: I found that this powder clogs my pores and makes me break out. It's still a great powder, but be careful if you're acne-prone like I am!

I bought this in Soft Sand (5) and found the color to be a good match for my Asian skin tone. I had been using Clinique's blended face powder for a few years and noticed that it sometimes makes me look kind of orange by the end of the day. With this pressed powder, though, I remained the same color throughout the day. :D I only apply concealer, and I find that this pressed powder sets my concealer very well and doesn't enhance the flakies. But then again I have rather oily skin. It gave better coverage than loose powder did without making me look cakey. I took a lippie off because my forehead becomes shiny after a few hours, but because I love the overall feel of the powder, I'm definitely repurchasing it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2008 4:56:00 PM More reviews by TKLOPS2

I really like the finish that this product provides and it doesn't make my skin break out. I do however have oily skin and after reading the review on the loose powder will be trying that to see if it works even better. I would recommend this powder and would purchase again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2008 8:00:00 PM More reviews by islareina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Be wary of this product if you have oily skin. I had a make-over by Bobbi Brown and the SA used the oil-free loose power on me. I walked around the store and to make sure I didn't break out in the "greasies" and surprisingly, my face stayed matte. I asked her to pack everything up and sell it to me, and she gave me the pressed powder instead by mistake. The next morning when I opened all my new little boxes, I thought that it was just the pressed version of the loose powder she decided to give me, but my face was so oily that I'd almost sworn off BB forever. It was not until recently when I was perusing Bobbi's website, that I realized that the loose powder was especially for oily skin. I called back the SA to ask if there was a particular reason why she gave me this powder when I told her I had oily skin, and she said that it was her mistake because this is definitely not for oily skins. The thing I do like about this is the mirror -- it's huge! I can see my whole face, not just one cheek and my chin. I suspect I won't get a mirror with the loose powder. (For reference: I use Golden Orange (#3) and I am a NC45 in MAC, although I don't use MAC)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2008 7:34:00 PM More reviews by girliex601x

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i purchased this in pale yellow. the shade is a very soft yellow, not bright and scary at all. the color did blend into my skin nicely. that's the only good thing about the product. i had high hopes for this powder. the texture was finely milled, but some how manages to sink into every single pore imaginable and made my face oilier than even before powdering. there are wayyy better products out there for the price. i'd imagine even drugstore powders are better than this. the difference between the bb sheer finish pressed and bb regular finish pressed is the sheer clings onto every dry flakies on your face. even after an hour, the flakes are still there and not blended in at all... leaving my face w/ a shiny finish on my forehead and flakes all over my cheeks and chin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2008 1:38:00 AM More reviews by kanganqi

Great product! If i want a long lasting makeup, i will definately use this pressed powder. Because it controls oil, it makes my makeup longlasting. another great point about this is it makes my makeup look so natural, but the key point is that you have to use a brush to apply it to make a sheer look.