November 27, 2014 | 1002 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Avene - Cicalfate Creme Restauratrice

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2012 3:28:00 PM More reviews by outdoorsgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

MUA does it again. I read the reviews here about this product and went to the drugstore to inquire about it. The cosmetician did warn me that it has a very thick consistency. I asked if it would help the redness associated with hormonal acne and she said it's not meant for that, but rather for skin recovering from laser surgery and that sort of thing. I would need to try it and if it didn't work, then to bring it back with the receipt.

So I plunked down $20 CAD for this tube and I'm glad I did. I happen to have some rosacea on my cheeks and this cream helps reduce the redness there and it has reduced the redness from my hormonal acne along my chin and nose area.

A little goes a long way and I just dab it on and let it soak in.

Thanks MUA'ers! You guys know what works!

EDIT: I think this stuff has been making me break out in a big way. It's too bad because it does help with the redness in my cheeks but not at the expense of big breakouts. :-(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2012 12:51:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

UPDATE:
I have now received the one I've bought for my mom. I will update this from time to time, when there are important changes in her skin:
After 3 days:
there's already a quite big difference in her rosacea. She had A LOT of redness on her cheeks and jawline where there were a lot of under-skin pustules. At this point the redness has reduced incredibly and the size of the pustules have reduced, but they are still red, just not the skin around them. At this point only the redness has been reduced, but the sore feeling of the pustules hasn't decreased yet.
After 8 days:
My mom said she no longer felt her face was as painful - the big acne-like things on her face had became flat and her skin is getting actual skin-coloured (instead of dark pink) around her cheekbones, but the apples of her cheeks and jawline are still quite pink. We have found that this product works much better when applied over a popped acne than not - it may or may not help over not popped ones, but will in almost every case help over a popped one. We "pop" the pimples by using a tweezer and carefully rip a hole in the skin instead of squeezing, because there's a much greater chance of pimples rupturing inwards if they are being squeezed.
After 12 days:
No painful sensation in my mother's face anymore! The apples of her cheeks and jawline is almost not pink anymore, except locally, where the big "acne" was. At this point people have started noticing that her face looks much better and she's very happy about the results :) I would highly recommend this product for people with sensitive skin and rosacea! Mu mom said she never thought it would be possible to better her condition so easily and so fast :)
20th mars 2013:
My mom says she has has problems with her skin lately again, but she says that it's almost only on her jawline. I guess, it's hormonal acne. She says this helped her cheeks a lot, where she has rocasea, and helps keep her skin clean most of the month, but the (most likely) hormonal flare-ups on her jawline, this isn't able to handle.
END OF UPDATE
I love this! I've only had it for a week, but it already has gotten rid of my very persistent pimples on my temples, chin and forehead (I've had the pimples for about 1,5 month and not managed to successfully get rid of them in any way!). It has also gotten rid of some kind of allergic reaction on my lips and an area on my neck with an inflamed follicle.
This cream works SO fast (you can sometimes notice a difference in just an hours time) and you need a very small amount of it - the tube could last for ages if you keep it in the refrigerator! I love that this inhibits bacterial growth without drying out the skin at all - I have dry, sensitive skin and medication that worked by drying out a pimple would leave me with a dry spot for at least a week. With this I'm not even tempted to pick at pimples since I know I can use this and they'll be gone much faster! This actually even works for the hormonal pimples I sometimes get :)
I've already bought one of this for my mom - I think her rosacea-skin should like this too :)
There are a couple of ingredients that bothers me in this though:
- hydrogenated vegetable oil (saturated fatty acids, as far as I know). This may not be the best thing for oily skin
- beeswax - some people are allergic to it
- mineral oil. Doesn't bother me at all, but some people may like to avoid it

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2012 4:26:00 PM More reviews by MCNALS

I used an at home waxing kit (Anastasia's from Sephora) and ripped off a layer of skin above my upper lip. I was horrified. It was painful, oozing, and extremely red. I would normally just spread a lot of neosporin/aquafor on it but I came across this at a local beauty shop hours after my incident. I was afraid it was going to sting but it was incredibly soothing! I put it on right after the shower and it didn't even sting in the slightest...

It is too soon to tell about the healing qualities, so I will make sure to update soon re: same.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2012 4:52:00 AM More reviews by 1990ardus

JUST BUY IT!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by ExpatBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

* Product - Avène Cicalfate

* Product Claims - A skin restorative / repair cream that helps to speed the skin healing recovery process with anti-bacterial and healing properties. It can be used to help the skin heal from minor skin injuries such as cuts, scrapes, scratches, burns, cracked skin, chapping, abrasions, and post-treatment procedures such laser treatment, microdermabrasion, peeling, hair removal, tattoos, body piercing, etc.

* Review - In France, healing creams known as “les crèmes cicatrisantes” are very popular as they are creams that are meant to treat the healing of injured skin tissue. The most popular here are Cicalfate (cream) by Avène and Cicaplast (ointment) by La Roche-Posay. Both contain zinc oxide are commonly recommended to treat mild to moderate skin irritations. I tested both in the pharmacie and Cicaplast has more of an ointment texture, reminiscent of Polysporin. Since I personally prefer a cream texture over a gel texture, I chose Avène Cicalfate. To me, Cicalfate feels more like a regular cream, since it is white and opaque but thankfully, it disappears after application and blending. What I like about this skin repair cream:
(a) Repairs - Cicalfate contains Sucralfate in micronized form, Sucralfate is known in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and stress ulcers because it forms a protective barrier on the esophagus and the stomach against damage from acidity. In a topical skin treatment, Sucralfate helps to promote the restoration of the skin barrier and minimize skin irritation. It is an active and original repairer, quickly restoring skin comfort by promoting regeneration of injured skin. In addition, by binding to skin proteins, it forms a protective film on the affected surface.
(b) Antibacterial - The combination of copper sulfate, zinc sulfate and zinc oxide concentrations work together effectively to fight against excessive development of germs while at the same time, helping to promote and maintain the skin in a healthy and optimal phase of restoration of the skin.
(c) Soothing, anti-irritating - Cicalfate contains a large amount of Avène thermal water (45%), which is beneficial as it soothes sensitive, irritated, and reactive skin.
(d) Other beneficial aspects - Cicalfate contains no fragrance and has no added preservatives. It is hypoallergenic and non-comedegenic.

* Cons - While this can be used to treat burns, I find that Biafine Emulsion works much better and is more effective for burns in my experience. However, the size of this Cicalfate tube is much more compact and "travel friendly" than the Biafine ;)

* Tips - Apply 1-2 times daily on the area to be treated (irritated or altered) cleansed and massage gently. Then spray a fine mist of Avène Thermal Water on affected area. Avène Thermal Water is really a must-have for those with sensitive skin.

* Price - A 40 ml. tube retails for around 9 €. Available at all pharmacies and parapharmacies.

* Verdict - I’ve used this for almost a year now and I find it indispensable as my go-to treatment for irritated acne, popped pimples (I know better but sometimes popping just can't be helped!), allergic reactions to cosmetic products, dermatitis, razor burns, etc. One tube lasts a long time so it's a great value for the money. I do consider Cicalfate to be an integral part of my medicine-skincare cabinet. Recommended.

30 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2012 2:43:00 AM More reviews by moisturisingqueen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my new-found HG product! I have extremely sensitive, eczema ridden skin prone to flare ups due to food allergies. I was at the shopping centre and I experienced a painful eczema flare up on my entire face immediately after consuming a drink. I ran into a nearby pharmacy in search of something to soothe my skin. I was recommended Avene Cicalfate Creme by a pharmacist. On applying it the redness of my skin had decreased by about 50%. Within 2-3 days my skin was silky soft again. I will always carry this on me from now on. Best of all in Australia you can purchase this for around $12 for the 40ml tube at My Chemist! Recently there's been a sale and it's down to $8. Needless to say, I'll definitely be stocking up!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Yishabeila

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff has rave reviews both on MUA and on a famous French consumer beauty website (similar to MUA). Despite my high confidence that this product would help healing scabs or scars or anything in between, it did nothing for me.

The texture is quite pleasant though. But that's not nearly enough.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 6:54:00 PM More reviews by Freckledflower

I love this stuff. I have very sensitive acne prone skin and this helped calm in down in the winter. It took away the redness and kept my face moisturized. The only thing is if I used it in the day, my face would get shiny by mid-afternoon but that is normal for me anyway. I also noticed that my acne wasn't as bad while I was using this :). Yes its thick and hard to spread but if you warm it up in your hands that's not a problem.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2012 12:32:00 AM More reviews by wtfiholly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I can not say "maybe" it's always just "yes" or "no". I love the body wash, the body lotion/cream, but I am on the fence about this.
I use it once a week to help moisturize my skin in certain areas from my psoriasis patches, so it heals a bit faster at least that's what I'd like to think. I only use a bit and I pat it onto my patch after I use my body lotion/cream from Avene, I'm finding that the body lotion/cream is a better fix than this.
It states that it is to repair the skin and I find that the body lotion/cream does a great job without this. I also find that this tends to dry out my patches and that makes things worse for me. I can not use this on my hands, but I can with the body lotion/cream and my hands are soft for about 3 hours then it's back to drysville, but if I don't use it and I just use the body lotion/cream I am soft for all day and then some.
I suppose I should just use this in winter and let things be as they should be in the summer, but if I'm dry in the summer from this particular cream then how will it be in the winter when everything is dryer than Nevada in June? I'm afraid, LOL.
I will use this as needed for a more intense thing if it needs to be like that. I am guessing that I will find it a better use in the winter. I just have to wait. I will update then. For now it is what it is.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2012 10:44:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

This product is a big NO for me! It doesn't help me in any way, it is hard to spread, it sits on the skin and it looks weird, it clogs my pores and it leaves a white cast on my face. Disgusting. For sure I will not buy it again and I will use the rest of the cream on my hands.