October 23, 2014 | 1642 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 2 of 5 on 9/20/2013 5:52:00 PM More reviews by hotbeautybitch

Seriously, buying a good Vitamin c product might be expensive, but I will definitely take this charge, because this DIY is ,for me, not worth the afford.
Vitamin c is extremely unstable and fabricate it again so often is really annoying.
Better spend my money on a nicely formulated product, than my own unstable formulation.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2013 8:10:00 AM More reviews by Azie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Great idea - leaves my skin so smooth and i reckon i break out less because of it - I make it fresh to use each day, in the am. mix a pinch with distilled water and pat onto cleansed skin and in the pm before bed, same as above I just add a few drops of rose hip or emu oil ;)

Just wanted to Edit this and add that I now add 3 pinches of MSM powder into my serum, and getting great results!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2013 5:11:00 AM More reviews by Ravenn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I make my own concentrated vitamic C serum mask at home and love the results! It makes my skin glowy and soft!

Ingredients:
1. Whole foods vitamin C - I use Madre-C. Although it is expensive, it is natural and good for sensitive skin. L-absorbic acid Vitamin C crystals are too harsh for sensitive skin, in my opinion.

2. Aloe vera juice - I use food grade aloe vera juice from Lily of the Desert. This forms the base to dissolve the vitamin C. You can use distilled water, but I find aloe to be very soothing.

I like to use 2 tbsp vitamin C with 1 tbsp aloe vera juice. Mix it up to a thick creamy consistency. Apply on the face and leave til it is dry. It should take about 10-15 minutes. Wash off with warm water and a soft wash cloth.

I use this mask about 1-2 times a week and make it from scratch every time.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by EMO514

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

okay so I just started using my homemade serum very recently. I gotta say, so far I love it! I only rated it four because I haven't had time to test it in the long run. I use 1/4 tsp of vitamin shoppe ascorbic acid and 4 tsp of spring or tap water (which is pretty good around here), and I use it once daily. I have retin-a that I occasionally use, but I think I'm actually beginning to like the serum better seeing as I'm not molting two days later. I feel like it gives me a nice little glow, and is keeping the small pimples I occasionally get at bay. also seems to be working for the PIH I've had lingering around. I will update in a couple weeks, but hopefully I continue to see positive results!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 10:26:00 AM More reviews by 1953helen

I am a retired hair stylist. I worked in a spa my entire 28 years and was spoiled by immediate access to the best of the best in skincare products. I used vita c and vita a products for years with great results. I cannot afford my bad self anymore which inspired me to start doing diy products. I now make a lot of my product and find the vita c mixed with distilled water with a couple of drops of glycerine to be the winner. Simple and effective. I am 60 (just turned) and get accused of being 40 all the time.

37 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2013 9:50:00 AM More reviews by marisaew1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Whaaaaat!?? Why have I waited so long to use this? Thanks to a course of accutane a few years ago, I don't really break out anymore. However, I do get an occasional spot. This has not only kept those at bay, but also given me a pretty, post-dermabrasion look. I just put a small amount of vit c crystals (Whole Foods brand) into a spray bottle, mixed with bottled water, and voila. I use randomly between moisturizer and retin-a.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 6:29:00 PM More reviews by LilyJ

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for 2 weeks and the difference to my skin is quite remarkable. My issues are acne scarring but also dry skin, and it's kind of a nightmare to find a product that is moisturizing enough but doesn't clog my pores or cause acne. I've never used a serum before but was intrigued by it and saw on here that it's had good reviews. I apply it twice a day to my face and neck. I use it under my primer instead of moisturizer.

Like many have noted the brightening effect was immediate. The skin around my eyes is now much smoother and lighter, and acne scars are flattening and fading. My skin feels so soft and tone is more even and has a nice glow. It has not caused me to break out. I gave some to my mother, who is 68, and she loves it and now uses it instead of her regular moisturizer.

I use a solution of 1/4 tsp vitamin C powder, 1/4 tsp vegetable glycerine and 4 tsp distilled water. I bought a bottle with a dropper and make a new batch once a week.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 5:40:00 PM More reviews by AKHudson

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Hyaluronic Acid very bacteria friendly so you must add a preservative if you include it in a DIY serum.
I use Dermagen from www.skinactives.com for HA Serum

PS You can put the Ascorbic acid crystals in your palm, add a little water and VERY LIGHTLY massage into skin & rinse for a quick brightening exfoliating

22 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2013 5:54:00 AM More reviews by megabyte2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE YSL Forever Youth Liberator Serum, but since the benefits of using all serums reverses when you stop using them, I cannot afford to buy this for the rest of my life.

I am 62 and really did not believe a DIY serum would work, but after reading everything I could on the web I thought I might as well try it. After all - it is cheap!

So one morning, I put 50% Vit C and 50% distilled water in a tiny bowl, stirred, crushed with back of spoon all day long and the C would not dissolve. I then put it in the microwave for a second and it worked, but the heat oxidizes the C so I threw that away and tried again. Next time I also added glycerin but even though it was a tiny drop, I did not like it because I could feel it, so back to just C & water. This time I used 1/2 tsp of Vit C and added 4 tsp of distilled water. The C dissolved immediately! I then read " the higher the % of Vit C the longer it will take the crystals to dissolve" so if anyone is having a problem just add a bit more water.

I absolutely love this serum!!! I have tried many very expensive serums and will admit that YSL is still my favorite, but my DIY serum is second.

One problem I am having though is my pillow case has orange stains on it. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution to it????

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 6:35:00 PM More reviews by Jaynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I do a simple distilled water and vitamin c crystal potion, which I prepare every few days and put in a repurposed opaque serum bottle and store in the fridge. About 1/4 tsp powder to 3 1/5 tsp water.

After cleansing at night, I dispense a few pumps and pat on my skin, then follow with fresh refrigerated aloe vera juice. I leave that on until it dries and then put on my evening moisturizer. Done. Amazingly positive difference in my skin. I bought my L-ascorbic acid crystals from the pharmacy, about $10 for 100 grms. I keep the crystals in the fridge.

I read somewhere that one thing women over 50 should absolutely do is to add a Vitamin C serum to their skin care routine. I am evidence of that good advice. What a joy that I have an inexpensive, potent, and absolutely fresh way of delivering that!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No