July 30, 2014 | 1978 users online

Masks - Oatmeal

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 2:22:00 AM More reviews by luxferi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is pretty awesome stuff! I was a skeptic, but a week in, I changed my tune. My skin is sensitive, and gets red easily (rosacea), but since I use oatmeal, it has become calmer. It is a very gentle exfoliant - I use this daily at night and I think it helps prevent pores from getting clogged compared to a routine whereby I only exfoliate once or twice a week. I still use a scrub (St Ives Apricot scrub with 2% Salicylic Acid) but only when I feel my skin is not as smooth anymore. Always, always be gentle when scrubbing your skin. It's extremely easy to get broken capillaries and tear your skin.

I ground the oatmeal until it's very fine, then store it a in a container in the bathroom with a scoop that came free with some milk powder. I take about a half palmful, add a little bit of water, stir around into a paste with a finger and carefully pat the oatmeal water onto my face before adding the rest and scrub gently. My skin always glows and pores tighten after that.

Long term results: I think it's beneficial for my easily irritated skin - it keeps it calm and the daily gentle scrubbings work for me better than a once a week deal.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 2:53:00 PM More reviews by nayeli28

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great cleanser to use when your skin is very irritated, but after while it actually becomes too gentle. I would recommend this about once a week that way you can actually see results even after a while. Other than that it does miracles!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 3:04:00 AM More reviews by jamface17

My skin is oily, acne-prone and sensitive. It also clogs EXTREMELY easily.

I first decided to use oatmeal on my face about a year ago. My skin was going through a really bad stage. I'd always have one or two breakouts on my face and reddened acne marks and after trying out different skincare products to help it and then needing to wear foundation more often to cover all the discolouration, my skin was looking like absolute crap. The foaming cleanser I was using at the time was just not cutting it, in fact, it made my skin look even more aggravated. My cheeks were bumpy and my skin looked patchy.

I had heard that oatmeal could be used as a cleanser for sensitive skin so I thought I might as well give it a try. Since it's just oatmeal, no chemicals or other additives, I really had nothing to lose. Buying a big packet from the supermarket is definitely cost effective but so inconvenient. I poured some into a plastic water bottle which made it so much easier to use and take into the shower.

I used oatmeal as a facial cleanser every morning and night. I poured about a tablespoon in my palm and soaked it with warm water. I then squeezed out most of the milky water to massage into my face. I then used the remaining oatmeal on my face. It was a really nice change. I found that it wasn't quite strong enough to be an exfoliator but it worked soooo well as a daily cleanser. My skin which was clogged and ridden with red spots was starting to clear up. After a few weeks of using this, I felt my face and it was so smooth, a feeling I hadn't experienced in a long time. My cheeks weren't clogged anymore and redness was slowly going away. My pores on my cheeks also didn't look as obvious anymore. I also didn't experience any bad breakouts!

Despite the wonderful effect oatmeal had on my skin, I stopped using it after about 4 months. My skin definitely experienced the benefits of oatmeal but after a while, my skin started acting up again. Perhaps my skin reacted so well initially cos it was such a difference from using stronger cleansers. Even though my skin had calmed down, I was breaking out more and more and getting really oily too. Oatmeal soon became too gentle in maintaining clear skin.

I've reverted back to using Cetaphil's gentle skin cleanser. It certainly doesn't have the benefits of oatmeal but it feels gentle and is a lot less messy. So at this stage, I won't be buying anymore oatmeal. My skin is still not looking great but I've started seeing a dermatologist to try and clear up my skin woes.

I definitely recommend giving oatmeal a try if your skin ever goes through a bad flare-up. Since it's natural, it gives your skin a nice break from everything else. Once skin starts to calm down, you can always go back to your regular skincare routine : ).

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2013 4:10:00 AM More reviews by Ditaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I wish I could say I love it. In fact it breaks me out a little :( It contributes to the new buildups all over my face, but it enlights my skin and leaves my skin supple and smoth.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by redbloodlips

I recently started using oatmeal on my skin and I am not going to stop. Where to even start! I keep a small amount of ground oatmeal in my bathroom and wash my face with it both morning and night and the way my face feels after using it, is indescribably soft and smooth. I also use it as a mask by mixing it with organic honey and organic milk I make this into a paste and lather it on my face letting it sit for 15 min. I am going to keep looking for different oatmeal masks to use on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by aestheticallychallenged

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After seven years of struggling with acne I can finally say that I no longer have a single zit on my face. This is all thanks to my favorite combo, oatmeal + plain yogurt.

I tried plain yogurt on its own at first and it seemed to slightly improve the texture of my skin. However, after incorporating oatmeal to the mix, my skin's become so much better. I struggle with hyperpigmentation and I think this combo has calmed it down. Also, I used to get pimples around my chin area. Note: I USED to. Now, having used oatmeal both as an ingredient for my yogurt mask as well as an exfoliator, my chin (as well as my whole face) is 99% pimple free. Another great thing is that oatmeal seems to cleanse my rather prominent T-zone pores really well (keeps the blackheads at bay!). Thanks to oatmeal, my skin feels soft and almost glows. My friends and family alike have all said that my skin looks a lot healthier these days.

I recommend everyone to give oatmeal a try. And remember to be consistent with it if it seems to work for you! I have been using yogurt + oatmeal for six months now. Bubzbeauty has good instructions on how to use oatmeal as an exfoliator/facial cleanser. I personally use oatmeal + yogurt mix three times a week. This helps my skin to stay neither too dry nor too oily throughout the week.

edit___ (May 28th, 2014)
Well over a year on and I'm still using oatmeal + yogurt mask. Nowadays I use this mask with some lemon juice (from a fresh lemon) in it and I feel that it has made the mask even better (lemon works as a good exfoliant if used moderately; don't burn your skin by overdoing it!!). Also, I only need to use this combo mask once a month or so instead of the three times a week routine I had last year. My skin is a lot better than it used to be a year ago. These DYI masks may often require time to work but I think the wait has been worth it. :) I can't say that my facial skin will be ever perfect (due to some scarring and persistent hyperpigmentation) but at least I now am acne free. I'm more comfortable being makeupless than I have been in years. Hopefully this works for everyone else too!

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by marmaladecat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was looking for a really gentle, effective, cheap facial scrub for my winter-dehydrated skin and for me, oats tick all the boxes!

I take some oats and add a small amount of water, until I get a really thick paste. I then wet my face and massage the mixture onto my skin, then rinse with warm water. My skin's left feeling silky-soft, smooth and not at all irritated or dried out. I use the oat scrub once or twice a week.

The only down-side for me is it's very messy to apply as bits do tend to drop off my face, but for me, the results are well worth it :) Really pleased I tried this.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2013 10:17:00 PM More reviews by DiJO

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm always dubioius when trying 'natural' remedies, but they are the ones that actually work, not all those craps in the market! Seriously!
I've been using oats as a face mask, with yoghut, honey and lemon, and it softened, exfoliated, and brightened my face.
The only downside is that it is not pre-packaged and you have to make the mixture each time. BUT WHO CARES, IT IS THE BEST!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by slj324

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For about 3 weeks I have used oatmeal as a facial cleanser in hopes of getting rid of acne scars. I have found that my scars are getting lighter but it doesn't seem to stop new breakouts. Used before a lemon juice toner I think it will work even better!

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2013 5:44:00 PM More reviews by KandyKisses

Just started using this and OMG... sorta fell in love! I am on a super tight budget and often have oatmeal on hand to make breakfast foods. I had a lot of extra oats hanging around and saw this mask... it's amazing! I've only used it twice but it makes my skin feel really smooth. I don't know what it's actually doing to my skin, but it feels nice. I take a handful of the oats in one hand after wetting my face and I run it under hot water until it gets sort of "milky" and "oatmeal-y". Then, I "sponge" the blob all over my face. It's hard to get the oats to stick, but the residue from the wet oatmeal sticks pretty well. I throw the wet blob out and wash my hands, then wait and do some stuff for about twenty minutes to a half an hour. The mask isn't annoying and smells like oatmeal, which is kind of nice! When it is fully dry, I wash it off with hot water and pat my face dry. Smooth smooth smooth! I will continue using this!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No