The Body Shop White Musk Line

3.9

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 12/29/2008 7:38:00 PM

i have this both in EDT and perfume oil. White musk smells exactly like the soap I used when I was a kid, so to me it's the smell of bedtime stories, mom's laundry, my cute bathroom towels, and a lot more precious moments of childhood. I often use it over those care-free weekends when not going anywhere or seeing anyone, and just want to smell clean and fresh like a kid after a happy shower.

Smells fantastic. I've been wearing this for years and it is great for those who want a subtle, clean, yet slightly mysterious fragrance.

One note of caution is that since it is so subtle, if you are someone who wants a bit more longevity, I would really recommend purchasing the shower gel, lotion, soap, etc. if you want the fragrance to last.

on 11/1/2008 3:41:00 PM

I intended to wait a while before writing this review but on my fourth day of wearing this I can't wait any longer. I love it. If that changes, I'll edit this review immediately - but for now, I'm sold.

I encountered this perfume through Makeupalley and headed straight over to The Body Shop after reading glowing reviews. I hadn't been there in years, so thank you MUA! As soon as I smelled it, I recognized White Musk as the scent I'd once smelled on a woman rushing by me on a New York City street which I'd never been able to forget. It's hard to describe that sensory, emotional moment when your nose is unexpectedly confronted by a smell it loves, but it's a moment where everything stops. Because we were hurriedly crossing the street in opposite directions (and because I was momentarily stunned), I never got to ask her what she was wearing.

But I never forgot. I smelled nearly everything at Sephora until my nose got sick. I searched possible descriptions on forums online. I couldn't place my finger on it - was it the smell of violets? I'd heard of a perfume made in a South American country based on violets, which some women loved so much they hoarded it during their visits to sneak into America. Perhaps that's what it was? It wasn't the kind of smell you would find in Sephora - a little too simple, maybe, and more direct.

Well thanks to MUA, I have it. Wearing it now, I'd say it strikes me as a little powdery, definitely some lavender, and close to the skin. I usually hate the smell of baby powder so I'm surprised not to be bothered by the powdery aspect, but this scent makes me want to sink into it. This scent makes me think of people falling in love.

Someone mentioned this smells like a baby, another that it makes them think grandmother. I'd say just go smell it - try it on, see if you love it. It's a comforting smell I felt immediately at home with, putting it on my body. Does that make sense? I think a lot of perfumes make me feel like I'm putting something foreign on my body, trying to associate an exotic identity with myself that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with. This one is me but with a deeper, more inviting tone. Had I not tried it due to negative reviews, I wouldn't have this in-love experience I'm having right now. I've been told over the past few days by a few strangers that I smell good, so no worries in that department.

As a reference point, I've been attracted to Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue, Ralph Lauren's Blue, Caswell-Massey's Lily of the Valley, Anna Sui's Dolly Girl, and Armani's Code (though none of them ever got me like White Musk). Maybe if you like those you'll like this too.

I bought the perfume oil and eau de toilette (EDT), though I mostly just wear the oil on my wrists and chest. A little goes a long way for me, as I think perfume is best played subtly. I've been using two drops of it in the morning, and if I need a pick-me-up later in the day I'll add a drop more of the oil and maybe spritz the EDT in my hair. I think it's moderately long-lasting, and the smell doesn't go funny on me. If anything, it gets deeper. (EDIT, 11/6/2008: Don't expect the potency of other fragrance oils with this one. It fades after 6-8 hours on my skin, and doesn't "stay pungent" like many fragrance oils do. This is a negative positive - positive because you won't overdo it (it's easy with overwhelming fragrance oils), but negative because I love this scent and might kind of like it to stay potent throughout the day.) Like others have said, it's a smell that I don't think would offend anyone, and those it doesn't offend will love it.

The oil is $24.00 for 1 fl. oz, which is pretty cheap for a perfume (especially considering how long the oil will last, as a few drops is all you need). The other forms are of a similar price range, although I'd point you over to The Body Shop website to check that out. The rest is information from their website, describing the fragrance:

-----------------------------------------------------

Fragrance personality: Feminine, sensual, irresistible. This long-lasting, soft and velvety musk scent is the perfect balance between sexy and classic.

Family: floral musky

Notes: Top notes: velvety musk, floral lily, sensual ylang ylang, with hints of fresh galbanum and basil

Middle notes: velvety musk, oriental jasmine, floral lily, rose

Base notes: velvety musk, oriental jasmine, floral lily, iris, rose, sweet vanilla, fresh amber, patchouli, oakmoss, vetiver, fruity peach

on 10/15/2008 10:27:00 AM

I had the white musk shimmer perfume. Application is easy and the shimmering effect is lovely. However, I am never a white musk person and it seems like a cologne to me. So it hasn't been touched on my desk since I first tested it. Rather pricey too.

on 9/29/2008 6:28:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

This one just didn't work for me. I bought gift sets on sale (containing small bottles of EDT, shower gel, and shower puffs) for both this and Cassis Rose.

I used up both shower gels, but neither fragrance really made me happy. But for the price, at least I got new shower puffs! I used to really like TBS fragrances and I'm not sure what happened.

on 9/27/2008 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

There used to be a body spray with this exact smell when I was at school. That's what it reminds me of so I can't tell whether its good or bad as I've grown it, but I do know that very quickly the smell makes you feel nauseaus.

on 9/4/2008 8:41:00 PM

Yum. Clean yet sweet musk, white but deep. Like baby powder for a grown woman, soft and slightly floral. The EDT takes a good long time to dry down, but all the other products are wonderful for layering with just about anything or a casual day at home.

on 8/28/2008 4:23:00 PM

I love the skin, it smells warm and different. I have been using this fragrance for many years now...

on 7/11/2008 4:09:00 AM

I'm not a fan of musk scents but this is one exception to the rule!! The Body Shop White Musk line is somehow "fresher" than other musk fragrances and doesn't feel heavy. Give it a try even if you're not a musk scent fan.

on 7/4/2008 6:14:00 PM

This scent should be a staple in every woman's fragrance closet, so to speak, though I'm glad it isn't (we don't all want to smell the same, that would take the fun out of it). Even my stuffy old landlord says it smells good (that's really saying something folks!)

Popular Fragrances