April 24, 2014 | 1999 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by WantonWonton

My favorite lipstick so far. It's highly pigmented, and slides on perfectly. It's a super glassy looking sangria color- and it stays beautifully glossy for hours. Fantastic dark red color. Retailed for a dollar at CVS, amazing value! It smells really fruity too.

Cons:
transfers easily (which may be a problem for your significant others if they don't want dark red smudges on their face!) so it may need reapplication,
terrible misnomer-- this is by no means a sheer red, but a heavily pigmented carnelian with purple undertones,
terrible packaging! be super careful opening and closing because it will not retract all the way. also it took me a second to figure out that you should take the packaging stickers off first.
melt warning! this lipstick is super soft so don't leave it around in the sun or heat!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by Chelles93

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Not sheer at all. It's a brick red, and doesn't work with my cool skin.

Doesn't last more than an hour, either.

I really, really want a sheer red - I've tried a dozen glosses but nothing works. Had high hopes for this but it just didn't work for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2011 6:26:00 PM More reviews by Petruskha

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Many years ago, when all the other girls were doing the no-lipstick, long, straight,center-parted hair, and maybe some blue eyeshadow and a swipe of mascara thing, yours truly was wearing opaque cherry lip color( and a chin-length bob) .My husband told me that's one of the first things he noticed about me. Fast forward some thirty years, and I'm still an incurable sucker for red lips. However, the lip line having lost some definition over time makes it harder to pull of the the full-on reds I'd wear so easily then. This little wonder is a great choice for those of us to indulge our passion. My only complaint is the packaging, but I always have a backup in case of breakage. I can't understand why some girls are afraid of red lips- our mothers and grandmothers wore red lipstick with jeans (only they called them dungarees then) and thought nothing of it. So try this shade-you have nothing to lose save a buck or two - it"s certainly an economical way to add some color to your life.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2011 8:59:00 PM More reviews by ashe1snow

This is my new HG red lipstick! Amazing especially for the $1 I spent on it, this is the first shade that has not had an orange tinge to it on me (usually red lipstick makes me look as though I just had spaghetti sauce or something, not pretty) I love the consistency, not dry and not sticky. Does not have a gross smell to it surprisingly either....will repurchase, again again and again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2011 9:47:00 PM More reviews by amaizeingndn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

this is the best red lipstick ever, IMO. I have been searching for the perfect red, and I've found several colors I really love, but the texture has always been the problem. Revlon's matte reds are really great colors, but are too heavy for me- I feel like they make my lips overpower everything else on my face, no matter how I try to sheer it out. I also really love Nars Gipsy, but it's TOO sheer. This is just the right balance for me though- not so sheer that it has to be layered on, but not so opaque that it overwhelms everything else. It's a great true red color, not too pink (which I personally hate) and the price doesn't get any better- I got mine for 99 cents at CVS. I was afraid that the cap wouldn't stay on, since cheaper cosmetics usually show their price in their packaging, but I haven't had any problem with it, and I carry it with me all the time, either in my purse or even in my pocket. I cannot recommend this product enough, whether you're a pro at red lipstick or a beginner, I think this will work for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2011 3:27:00 AM More reviews by sara_smiles426

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my new everyday lipstick.

It has the kick of a red lipstick, but it tones it down enough to wear its appropriate for almost any circumstance. Its moisturizing, great color, smell is good, staying power is above average, and its easy to work with.

It actually is somewhat sheer, so its a wash of a strong color. The effect is a more laid-back 1940s color. Its beautiful, its perfect. I love it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 4:39:00 PM More reviews by BoxcarJessie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This lil puppy rates on my top, lush, red lippies of all time! I love it for daytime as I can't go wrong with a red lip for my skin tone. This red is gorgeous and the quality is excellent! It applies like one lovely MUAer said below, semi-sheer and builds up to a decadent, blue based, cherry, cheery, brick red that differs from any other red lipstick I own. At 99 cents, it's a steal so I can't help by recommend this gem of a lipstick to anyone and everyone I meet that is wary about trying a red lip. It tends to work on everyone I've recommended it to, either applied sheerly with finger tips as a bit of a stain, or applied in multiple coats for a more dramatic, vampy, sultry look. The smell is nice too! It wears incredibly well for a cheapo lipstick too. When paired with my Rimmel 1000 Kisses lip liners, it lasts throughout the day with minimal touch ups. Took me a while to pick this one up but I finally did and I must say, it was worth the wait. Blue Rose is my 2nd favorite in the NYC lipstick line..Sheer Red will always be my 1st. GO NYC!!!

xoxoxo
- Mad Madam Jess

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2011 2:26:00 PM More reviews by sillychicken

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

The only thing I can complain about is the packaging. When I place the cap back on I have to be careful so I don't cut a chunk off since it doesn't twist down all the way. I would be happy to pay a couple of dollars more for better packaging but the current tube won't stop me from buying this again. It lasts a few hours before re-applying and feels smooth and moisturizing. My lips look and feel soft when I'm wearing this. The color is bright and cheerful but doesn't make me look like a clown or like I'm trying to get attention. The scent and flavor don't bother me. I find it goes well with Revlon Colorstay lipliner in Red whether I apply a heavy or light coat. I just line the top lip and this is a perfect match.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2011 10:13:00 PM More reviews by haveaguinness

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best 99 cents I've ever spent. Beautiful cherry red color, but I think "Semi-Sheer Red" is a more accurate name; for reference, this is definitely a more intense and brighter red than Lipstick Queen Medieval. Smells exactly like Twizzlers and even though I usually hate scented makeup, I kinda love it. Great d/s find.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by NssjPryncess408

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

For referance i am an Mac NC30/revlon color stay medium beige...I was on the hunt for the perfect redlipstick..after watching beautybroadcast on youtube i seen her rave about this..and im so glad i went to walmart and found the last one..its the perfect shade for me..definetly isnt sheer.i put my nyx liner in redhot under it and put sheer red over..last for quite some time and no bleeding..for 1.99 i will be repurchasing again when or if i run out.