April 19, 2014 | 1762 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2012 4:25:00 PM More reviews by ccee2k

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

I too got this after seeing a video on YouTube.
It basically works as well as a top primer, without the price tag. I'm converted.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2012 11:20:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Keeping it short: sucks for me as a primer but awesome as a deodorant. Cheap and will last me a long time. Got the idea when I was about to spend about 10 bucks on People's Pharmacy deodorant (that includes shipping) that a number of people swore it worked. Glad it does for me. Hint: if you have sensitive skin look for the MOM that doesn't contain sodium hypochlorite/hypochloride (a.k.a. bleach). I believe Walgreens and CVS store brand is bleach-free.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by JadelynKaia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have absurdly oily skin. Like, I would do my makeup at 7, leave at 7:30, by the time I use the bathroom at work around 10 or so, I would already be shiny. I have managed to get it kinda under control with Garden of Wisdom's face care products (Green Tea Shea Cleanser, Sebum Control Serum, Raspberry Fruit Spray, Coconut Renewal Cream) so that I could make it to early afternoon before I started blinding people with my reflective forehead, but I was still having to pour on the shine killer (literally, Evil Shades' loose powder named Shine Killer) every afternoon and would still be oily when I got home.

With this, I don't have to blot or powder at all, and by the time I go to wash my makeup off at night, I am only mildly glowy, nothing anyone would think of as out of the ordinary!

I pour a little bit into the cup that comes with it, dab a cotton round in that, squeeze off excess - you want a really light coating otherwise it doesn't dry well - and swipe over oily areas. (For me, that's my whole face, but if you have combo skin or just an oily t-zone, stick to using it only where you need it, because MOM can be drying to normal skin.) Let it dry, it'll look powdery white on your skin, then put on your makeup and you're good to go!

I actually use this under my BB cream in the mornings, so my routine is "cleanser - serum - MOM - BB cream". I wasn't sure about using a primer under BB creams, since they also function as a moisturizer and you don't normally put primer under a moisturizer? But it works fine for me. Hope this helps those who are having trouble making this work!

Oh. One more thing. DO NOT BUY THE FLAVORED KINDS THEY DO NOT WORK AS WELL. Get the regular flavor, not the mint or pink or whatever. They have sugars and additives that make it tacky on the skin and interfere with your foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 9:30:00 AM More reviews by khoward46

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I swear buy this stuff! I saw this on YouTube and couldnt believe that it worked so I tried it out and it works great! I have very oily skin and my oil used to eat any makeup I had on my face up! I put it on after my moisturizer and I apply a little to a cotton ball then apply to my face. It asborbs all the oil and doesnt smell like anything. I love this stuff! My face no longer look like an oily mess!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 8:21:00 AM More reviews by lebachai

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have incredibly oily skin and am prone to hormonal acne. After reading all the reviews, I figured I'd try this as a primer, since nothing else seemed to make a difference and everything I tried was a huge waste of money. I've now been using this almost every day for two months, and I'm sold. I've gone through a full hour's dance class with this stuff and full makeup on top and all I've seen afterwards is a slight dewy glow--not the sweaty mess I'm accustomed to seeing in the past. The price, compared to all of the expensive (useless) stuff out there is unbeatable and, better, it WORKS. The only downside I experienced is that you have to be careful applying it--it does streak easily (after all, it's not meant for the face, so this is a trade-off I can live with) and you need to check to make sure you blend those before putting makeup over it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2012 1:50:00 PM More reviews by hopefullyamazing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

OMG! I read review after review about this, and so I went into buying it knowing that so many people loved to use this for oil control and for just taking way the shininess that occurs throughout the day.
I went looking for the original version in Boots and other places but they didn't have it, so I settled for the original mint one, I thought this might affect it's effectiveness because it had extra ingredients in, but thankfully it didn't. So for anyone in the UK who is wanting to buy this from a shop, then don't worry about it being mint flavoured (I don't think that we have the original one anywhere).
I watched alot of YouTube tutorials about how they apply it and how much they put on, but I really think that you need to play around and obviously depending on how oily your skin is that will depend on whether you need to apply more or less. I apply MOM after cleansing my face and before putting on my MAC oil controlling lotion and moisturiser, using my fingers I work in a small amount onto my chin and the sides of my nose.
*I find that the MOM container is awful for using on a regular basis because of it's massive top. So when I finished a pump foundation, I thoroughly washed it out and decanted the MOM into there so it's less messy*
Overall I really like it, and what a great discovery it was :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2012 9:42:00 AM More reviews by Boohbear92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

To start of, this product saved my life!!! Ever since i was 11, i had the WORST acne you could imagine. it got to the point that exfoliating wouldnt remove dead skin cells so my skin was rough, around 4 shades darker than my natural skin colour and every corner of my face was covered with spots! I was medicated for it and it got better, but after around 1 year my skin started to break out again. This was because when i wore makeup i never had a barrier to protect my skin, so it sunk in and blocked my pores. After finding out this product was a GREAT primer for oily skin, i gave it ago, i was so desperate!

The first day i used it, i just patted alittle more than a pea size on my face. INSTANTLY i could feel how smooth my skin had become. it felt alittle sticky at first but it dried and felt so smooth! i kept it on all day, for around 9-10 hours and my skin didnt once get oily! i was astounded! i then started applying it twice a week as a mask(thick layer) and it would stop my skin from getting oily the rest of the week. Now i apply it once a week and my skin doesnt even get oily anymore!!

I will NEVER apply my makeup without this underneath and i LOVE it! i LIVE by this product and without it i dont know how i would cope with my oily skin!
i have tried every product for oily skin, getting more and more expensive and little did i know that the bottle of laxative in my fridge would do the job!

Another thing is, everyone says not to get the flavoured one and mint one, well here in england, for some reason they don't do the origional. I bought the mint flavoured and have been using that for almost 2years. LOVE IT. i wouldnt get the cherry one but am fine with the mint one. And no it doesnt make your face smell of mint. the product does but you dont apply enough to allow your face to smell of mint!

Finally you get so much of this product for such little money its almost funny! oh and yeah.. ahem* its the best laxative ever.. looolll...
hope you find this review helpfull!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 9:13:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I finally caved in and tried Milk of Magnesia as a primer. I work 10 hour days and commute for 2 hours so my days are LONG. I tried everything to make my makeup last as long as possible but lets be honest, that many hours is not exactly a normal day and makeup doesn't last that long on its own. I get ridiculously oily all over after a few hours and I'm constantly blotting or reapplying powder and by the end of the day my makeup really just looks gross. I just dab this in spots with my finger and massage it into my face until its completely dry after moisturizing. Since I started using this I have been monitoring my face & have been using a different foundation each day to see how well it really works. Let me just say... I am impressed. Without the MOM I am an oil spill after about 4 hours, sometimes even 3. My face gets oily all over but my T-zone is by far the worst. With the MOM my nose does still get oily but a lot later in the day than usual, at around the 6th to 7th hour & I only have to blot it once at that time which is a huge difference from blotting all day long. My cheeks, forehead & chin honestly do not start to get oily until about the 9th to10th hour and I can blot them once at that time & I'm set. When I get home after my long 12 hour day my makeup does not at all look like I've had it on for that long. If I didn't put it on myself I would never know. I am really liking this so far and it is literally the only thing that has worked for my uncontrollable oilyness throughout the day. I plan on also trying this with the Monistat anti-chafing gel that I keep hearing about because if the MOM works this great alone, I can only imagine how it would work in conjunction with that. If you have long days as I do & you can't seem to find something to work for you, I say give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. It's only about $5 & I use the Phillips brand, the store brand ones are cheaper and I have heard they work just as good. If worse comes to worse and it doesn't work than you can always just keep it in your medicine cabinet for its real purpose LOL!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2012 8:53:00 AM More reviews by Shahz33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

MOM is almost like magic for oil control. I have combination skin, but have been living in +35-40 Celsius temperatures so I have had a pretty shiny face as a result. It works great to control shine and oil. Although I have used it under foundation (Bourjois healthy mix and EL DW light) I felt that it make it look a bit cakey in parts of my face. I prefer to use MOM under MAC mineralized skinfinish natural (it reduces the ashy look the MOM leaves) for the most natural look . I experimented with application (foundation brush, wet sponge, cotton ball) but found that applying it with a round cotton pad (or the non-disposable type made from cotton fabric) works best. I apply it like I would a toner- just sweeping it across my entire face and making sure there aren't any puddles of product that have accumulated. Let it dry for 5 minutes and then brush off any areas where the white powder has accumulated. Easy as. Also to note- I couldn't find a non-flavoured variety of MOM (I'm in Australia) so I got the mint flavoured kind. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2012 9:04:00 PM More reviews by ilovethe80s87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After reading reviews on here about using MOM as a mattifying foundation primer, I decided to give it a shot. I use the wal-mart knock-off of Phillip's Milk of Magnesia, and it works fine. I apply a thin layer onto a freshly cleansed face with a make-up sponge, let it dry, then apply a very tiny amount more to my t-zone. I then apply my liquid foundation. I found that I can't use this stuff with my thicker, creamier "liquid" mineral foundation because that stuff in itself mattifies my skin (but not like MOM), and using this with anything but actual liquid foundation makes my skin look dry. However, when I use it with my liquid foundation, it does a nice job of keeping my skin from getting oily; it even seemed to help keep my make-up from being sweated off during a night of dancing at a club. I will say that it doesn't make me look "poreless", but it did a nice job of keeping my make-up from sinking into my pores (like it usually does after a while) so I looked normal. I've only used it a few times, as I don't wear full make-up often, but each time it has done an excellent job of keeping my make-up looking fresh. The only thing I didn't like about using MOM as a primer was that it made my face look paler than normal with foundation on. So to fix this problem for next time, I used a darker shade of foundation and it was perfectly fine! I will continue to use this as long as i have oily skin (which I don't foresee that changing). I would have given it an average rating, but it's so inexpensive for good quality so I bumped it up one lipstick!