October 2, 2014 | 1438 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2012 2:47:00 PM More reviews by cowzipper

I'm using the Kroger generic milk of magnesia and it works the same as the Phillips brand. This actually reminds me of a primer that Clinique made years ago to control oil, but it works even better. I moisturize first and then apply this to my t-zone. It keeps the oil at bay better than any other product I've tried and it doesn't cause breakouts. This is a godsend for me, especially in the high humidity and heat. I want to thank the person that thought of trying this as a primer. Pure genius!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2012 12:22:00 AM More reviews by beautyskindeep

WOW! I'm shocked at well this stuff works for what is actually meant for!! Who know? And I have been spending tons of $$ on primers that really didn't do anything for me? Like most people I was skeptical, but it was 105 degrees here today and with this stuff under my foundation I never even had so much as a shiny spot!! Now that's the ultimate test! I watched a few you-tubers and was a little nervous to try it, but am I ever glad I did because it really does work!! I paid like 4 bucks for it at that!! Give it a try if you have oily skin you will not regret it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 10:38:00 AM More reviews by domirox

Loving this so far as a primer - especially with the crazy heat. I'm a girl prone to shine. I spent all afternoon yesterday outside in the sun, sweating like crazy, felt sticky all over, AND picked up/ran around with a toddler repeatedly throughout the day and just had a dewey look by time I got home in the evening - definitely no shine!

It does look a little off-putting at first when it starts drying on your face, however as soon as you put your make up on top you'd never know what was underneath!

I have (recently) had acne-prone and very dry skin and so far haven't had any irritation from using Milk of Mag. (I have only recently started using it however so I would need a bit more time to make sure my skin is ok!)

At the price and for the job it does, it can't be beat. The only difficulty is that it comes in a big bottle so its mildly inconvenient to dip my sponge into, although I think I'll just pour some into a smaller make up pot. Tthe one I got is comparable to an average - not large - bottle of mouthwash - and was only $8.49!!

I am recommending this to anyone who will listen! So happy that I came across this product during my hunt for a primer to help with oily/shiny skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2012 4:25:00 PM More reviews by ccee2k

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

I too got this after seeing a video on YouTube.
It basically works as well as a top primer, without the price tag. I'm converted.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2012 11:20:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Keeping it short: sucks for me as a primer but awesome as a deodorant. Cheap and will last me a long time. Got the idea when I was about to spend about 10 bucks on People's Pharmacy deodorant (that includes shipping) that a number of people swore it worked. Glad it does for me. Hint: if you have sensitive skin look for the MOM that doesn't contain sodium hypochlorite/hypochloride (a.k.a. bleach). I believe Walgreens and CVS store brand is bleach-free.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by JadelynKaia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have absurdly oily skin. Like, I would do my makeup at 7, leave at 7:30, by the time I use the bathroom at work around 10 or so, I would already be shiny. I have managed to get it kinda under control with Garden of Wisdom's face care products (Green Tea Shea Cleanser, Sebum Control Serum, Raspberry Fruit Spray, Coconut Renewal Cream) so that I could make it to early afternoon before I started blinding people with my reflective forehead, but I was still having to pour on the shine killer (literally, Evil Shades' loose powder named Shine Killer) every afternoon and would still be oily when I got home.

With this, I don't have to blot or powder at all, and by the time I go to wash my makeup off at night, I am only mildly glowy, nothing anyone would think of as out of the ordinary!

I pour a little bit into the cup that comes with it, dab a cotton round in that, squeeze off excess - you want a really light coating otherwise it doesn't dry well - and swipe over oily areas. (For me, that's my whole face, but if you have combo skin or just an oily t-zone, stick to using it only where you need it, because MOM can be drying to normal skin.) Let it dry, it'll look powdery white on your skin, then put on your makeup and you're good to go!

I actually use this under my BB cream in the mornings, so my routine is "cleanser - serum - MOM - BB cream". I wasn't sure about using a primer under BB creams, since they also function as a moisturizer and you don't normally put primer under a moisturizer? But it works fine for me. Hope this helps those who are having trouble making this work!

Oh. One more thing. DO NOT BUY THE FLAVORED KINDS THEY DO NOT WORK AS WELL. Get the regular flavor, not the mint or pink or whatever. They have sugars and additives that make it tacky on the skin and interfere with your foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 9:30:00 AM More reviews by khoward46

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I swear buy this stuff! I saw this on YouTube and couldnt believe that it worked so I tried it out and it works great! I have very oily skin and my oil used to eat any makeup I had on my face up! I put it on after my moisturizer and I apply a little to a cotton ball then apply to my face. It asborbs all the oil and doesnt smell like anything. I love this stuff! My face no longer look like an oily mess!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 8:21:00 AM More reviews by lebachai

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have incredibly oily skin and am prone to hormonal acne. After reading all the reviews, I figured I'd try this as a primer, since nothing else seemed to make a difference and everything I tried was a huge waste of money. I've now been using this almost every day for two months, and I'm sold. I've gone through a full hour's dance class with this stuff and full makeup on top and all I've seen afterwards is a slight dewy glow--not the sweaty mess I'm accustomed to seeing in the past. The price, compared to all of the expensive (useless) stuff out there is unbeatable and, better, it WORKS. The only downside I experienced is that you have to be careful applying it--it does streak easily (after all, it's not meant for the face, so this is a trade-off I can live with) and you need to check to make sure you blend those before putting makeup over it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2012 1:50:00 PM More reviews by hopefullyamazing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

OMG! I read review after review about this, and so I went into buying it knowing that so many people loved to use this for oil control and for just taking way the shininess that occurs throughout the day.
I went looking for the original version in Boots and other places but they didn't have it, so I settled for the original mint one, I thought this might affect it's effectiveness because it had extra ingredients in, but thankfully it didn't. So for anyone in the UK who is wanting to buy this from a shop, then don't worry about it being mint flavoured (I don't think that we have the original one anywhere).
I watched alot of YouTube tutorials about how they apply it and how much they put on, but I really think that you need to play around and obviously depending on how oily your skin is that will depend on whether you need to apply more or less. I apply MOM after cleansing my face and before putting on my MAC oil controlling lotion and moisturiser, using my fingers I work in a small amount onto my chin and the sides of my nose.
*I find that the MOM container is awful for using on a regular basis because of it's massive top. So when I finished a pump foundation, I thoroughly washed it out and decanted the MOM into there so it's less messy*
Overall I really like it, and what a great discovery it was :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2012 9:42:00 AM More reviews by Boohbear92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

To start of, this product saved my life!!! Ever since i was 11, i had the WORST acne you could imagine. it got to the point that exfoliating wouldnt remove dead skin cells so my skin was rough, around 4 shades darker than my natural skin colour and every corner of my face was covered with spots! I was medicated for it and it got better, but after around 1 year my skin started to break out again. This was because when i wore makeup i never had a barrier to protect my skin, so it sunk in and blocked my pores. After finding out this product was a GREAT primer for oily skin, i gave it ago, i was so desperate!

The first day i used it, i just patted alittle more than a pea size on my face. INSTANTLY i could feel how smooth my skin had become. it felt alittle sticky at first but it dried and felt so smooth! i kept it on all day, for around 9-10 hours and my skin didnt once get oily! i was astounded! i then started applying it twice a week as a mask(thick layer) and it would stop my skin from getting oily the rest of the week. Now i apply it once a week and my skin doesnt even get oily anymore!!

I will NEVER apply my makeup without this underneath and i LOVE it! i LIVE by this product and without it i dont know how i would cope with my oily skin!
i have tried every product for oily skin, getting more and more expensive and little did i know that the bottle of laxative in my fridge would do the job!

Another thing is, everyone says not to get the flavoured one and mint one, well here in england, for some reason they don't do the origional. I bought the mint flavoured and have been using that for almost 2years. LOVE IT. i wouldnt get the cherry one but am fine with the mint one. And no it doesnt make your face smell of mint. the product does but you dont apply enough to allow your face to smell of mint!

Finally you get so much of this product for such little money its almost funny! oh and yeah.. ahem* its the best laxative ever.. looolll...
hope you find this review helpfull!!!