April 19, 2014 | 1618 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2011 10:08:00 PM More reviews by benzoate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Good sunscreen for the body. But it stings my face and the fragrance is SO strong.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2011 7:09:00 PM More reviews by MissNRI

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer sunscreen (here it is SPF 50+) as the third drugstore sunscreen I've tried lately. I've been looking for a good, matte finish sunscreen that wears well under the (admittedly slightly heavy) foundation I typically wear, with very strong sun protection. I thought this would be it because of its "ultra sheer" and "dry touch" names. It did apply easily and dry quickly, and my makeup applied well over it. However, this one did turn runny by the end of the day which was a disappointment as I really did like it otherwise. I will use up the rest, though, on my body.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2011 9:21:00 PM More reviews by xDevilicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

its pretty dry and sheer compared to most other sunscreens, but since my nose is extremely oily, the sunscreen still makes my nose really shiny.
but otherwise, the sunscreen does whats its supposed to do...
good think it doesnt cause breakouts and acne (:

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2011 10:56:00 AM More reviews by BeachBaby14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this! i live in the south and get hours of direct sunlight every day and this is the only sunscreen that doesn't make me greasy. So glad i found this :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2011 4:24:00 PM More reviews by jskellis

I have EXTREMELY oily skin. no matter what I use, it gets oily within the hour. This is not so with Neutrogena dry touch. It is in fact, horribly the opposite.

It burned a little when I first applied but I stupidly ignored this. But later through the day, while my t-zone still got oily, the rest of my face was so dry and scaly that I was shocked. The dryness emphasized lines I didn't even know I had and made me look years older.

By the time I took it off by the end of the day, I had a red chemical burn on my cheeks near my eyes. and I swear to go a wrinkle I've NEVER EVER seen before emerged under my eyes after using this. It took 4 days of olive oil treatments before my skin got back to normal.

I'm using the CVS version now and it's much better. The drugstore version usually has the exact same chemicals which makes me think that Neutrogena puts a lot of one of the harsher ones in or sold my local CVS an expired bottle. Either way, I will never dare to let this stuff touch my face again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 1:55:00 PM More reviews by olympialetantoli

I bought this because at 27 I'm worrying about skin damage, I have one sunspot which even with makeup is kinda visible. Even thought I have always been safe in terms of sun saftey, SPF 30 when tanning. I used an SPF 50 primer at one time but it was too greasy and my makeup has some protection. I needed more protection obviously. So I'm starting now, I figured SPF 55 would be the sure thing to protect against harmful rays. I saw that it says Dry Touch and it goes on very matte, I use this on my face so far and a little goes a long way. I then use a primer, I love the way it feels not greasiness, no slickness, totally mattifies. I haven't broken out or anything and I've been using it for two weeks. I hate the way it feels on my hands though, they feel dry and craggly. I wanted to use it on my hands. Well I like that the bottle is small enough to tote around, smells okay. I will repurchase if I run out but I doubt I will since I'm using only on my face at the moment. Spent $12 so it wasn't too expensive. Only draw back is that its too dry on my hands & I don't like that feeling, its like I rubbed baby powder on my hands, just has a chalky feeling and that irritates me. Like someone scratching nails down a blackboard. But I will use it on my face for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2011 9:26:00 PM More reviews by lydiaxaidyl

Although i'm more inclined towards mineral sunscreens, such as those sold by Shiseido since I find that they're more effective at preventing me from tanning, this sunscreen works quite well. Even though it has a thick texture and can be a little hard to rub in, it leaves my skin with a nice matte finish. It's not hard to wash off either, most likely since it does not contain a lot of dimethicone. I enjoy using the Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55, but find it very laborious to remove. I'm attending college this fall, and I can't really afford to spend $35 on one tube of sunscreen and toil away at washing it off every night. I have pretty sensitive skin and this product hasn't irritated my skin face or broken me out yet. I've only tried it for one day, but i'm pretty sure the results won't change. I paid around $9 for one tube at Target. My bb cream also applies smoothly over this sunscreen. As for the smell, it's pretty strong, but I honestly don't mind. I don't find that this leaves a white cast on my skin. Then again, I am pretty pale. Around NC20.
Update (7/5/2011): I've been using this product for less than a week, but I've realized that it somewhat irritates my cheeks. The sunscreen leaves them slightly pink. Perhaps if I use it a little more my skin will adjust to the chemicals. I'm still giving this product a five star rating since I believe it is an indispensable product of a proper skincare routine. Rub in in fast and all the way so that your makeup will not pill. I'm going to use this on my hands and neck. It leaves my skin feeling very nice and matte. :D

rated 2 of 5 on 7/30/2011 1:04:00 PM More reviews by lightsout91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've pretty much gone through the whole Neutrogena sunscreen line, so I'll be comparing this SPF 55 to its lesser protective sisters. (30 and 45)
The 55 is just...WHITE STREAKS GALORE. It's ridiculous how much you have to rub it in, and a few minutes after you think you've rubbed it all in . . . Bam, more white marks pop up as it continues to "dry down." It is incredibly shiny to the point where, if you're wanting to look matte, you'll have to blot AND powder and THEN blot some more! (trust me, as someone with oily skin, this is way more hassle than its worth) by the time you 'mattify' your skin, it certainly seems like you've sacrificed a load of protection, which completely negates the purpose of the sunscreen. I love Neutrogena but they really need to reformulate their sunscreens if they want to be seen as a serious S/S competitor (ALL of them should be photostable, ALL of them should be cosmetically elegant.)
especially since the brand is one of the highest priced drugstore brands

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by PixieDust22791

I was using Olay complete spf 15 but I was over it, it was greasy and only 15 spf, lame. SO I've seen and heard neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch sunblock advertised everywhere and it was dermatologist recommended so I gave it a shot. I don't like that it was $12 from target and in such a small bottle but after I used it the first time I realized I only need a TINY amount for my whole face. It's thick and creamy and a little goes a long way. I always start off with putting it on my cheeks where my skin is the most dry. It was less greasy then the Olay spf 15 but I still had to rub in A LOT and wait for it to dry before I put on my powder. My powder went over it fine and throughout the day I looked at my face and it DID have a dewy sheer glow look going. My skin looked moist. It got the moisture job done, and I struggle with dry skin. It didn't mess up my makeup or irritate my skin so I think I like it so far. Its only been a few days so I'm hoping it doesnt break me out like other spf moisturizers have. I gave it 4 out of 5 because the price was too much, I don't want to spend more than $10 for a daily moisturizer, but I will prob buy again (:

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2011 1:52:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

Holy white streaks batman! I've used the SPF 30 version in the past with no problems, but this just would not fully absorb on me. As mentioned in another review, it has a high rating on the EWG site too. I think a sunscreen should either have a high SPF and absorb or at least be made with more natural ingredients. I'm still on the quest to find a sunscreen that a.) has a high SPF b.) works well under makeup and c.) not high in toxic ingredients. Although I haven't found the perfect product yet, there are much better options out there than this sunblock. If you want a high SPF and don't mind one that is water resistant, I recommend Shiseido. For something with a lower SPF that's good under makeup as well as less toxic than this product, I would use the Olay Complete with SPF 30.