November 25, 2014 | 1774 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2014 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Alyssa1209

I've been using OCM for about a month, and I am very happy with it. I can't say it's a miracle cure for acne, but it has improved my skin more than any other product I've used.

I have always had really bad skin. It's extremely oily, but also dry to the point of being tight and flaky, sensitive and acne prone. There's never a time when I don't have a breakout and I have to wear a lot of makeup every day, and touch it up every hour, just to feel normal and keep up with the shine that takes over my face.

Before trying OCM, my night time routine was using makeup removing wipes (which burned my eyes and made my skin feel tight), following that up with a clean and clear cleanser (which made my skin even tighter and dryer), then using a moisturizer to combat the dryness (I've tried so many different moisturizers none of them worked very well for me and I always still felt tight and looked like an oil slick by the next morning). I also used an apricot scrub 3-4 times a week trying to get rid of build up and flaky skin that never seemed to go away. I was so sick of using all these products and my face just didn't feel or look good, so OCM seemed to make sense for me.

I started with EVOO and castor. I was nervous about it at first so I only used it to remove makeup and then used a Cerave cleanser afterward to make sure no oil was left behind. I immediately noticed a difference in the softness and reduced oil production of my skin, and the oil removed makeup SO MUCH easier and gentler than any makeup remover I had ever used. The EVOO wasn't doing anything for my breakouts, though, so after about a week and more research on what was best for my skin type, I decided to switch to a grapeseed/castor/teatree mix for makeup removal and cleansing, stopped using the additional cleanser afterward, and use a little plain grapeseed oil afterward for moisturizing. Amazing!

The oil really does desolve oil. I go to bed with my skin feeling soft and refreshed, and when I wake up my skin is still matte. No oily shine. This alone is amazing for me! My skin is much more moisturized than it ever was when I was gobbing on tons of "moisturizer", and my breakouts are reduced. I still have some pimples, but not nearly as many and as frequently as I was getting before. My pores are smaller and much less noticeable. I also haven't changed my diet or anything like that so the results are strictly from the cleansing. As an additional bonus, it seems to be making the fine hair on my face and lip areas less noticeable as well. I find myself plucking a lot less, which I wasn't expecting. The process of the massage, steaming and cleansing is also very relaxing. It feels more like "me" time than it did before.

In the morning, all I do is run a warm wet wash cloth over my face and apply a tad more grapeseed for moisture, and that's all I need. I haven't used or needed to use any type of exfoliator or mask since starting OCM. I guess when my face is actually getting CLEAN, those other products are uneccessary. I used to spend a ton of money on a ton of products and now I spend very little and use one mixture that takes the place of exfoliator, cleanser, makeup remover AND moisturizer! Can't beat that.

My tips would be to make sure you are always using CLEAN, fresh washcloths. I have 4 washcloths and I use a fresh one every morning to wipe off my face that is already clean from the night before, hang it up to dry, then use that same washcloth for OCM that night, then throw it in the laundry to be washed. I also mix my oils every night in a fresh glass so I don't risk getting bacteria from my fingers into a larger batch. Make sure you massage slowly and you will feel the grainy texture of the gunk coming out of your pores. I do my eyes last so I don't get eye makeup all over my face.

If you have combination skin I would say definitely give this a try. I can't imagine ever going back to using all those gross, stripping, expensive products again. It's great.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 6:07:00 PM More reviews by TrueCOWgirl

I just tried the OCM a few days ago. The only oils we have in the house are olive and coconut. I've heard some varied things about olive oil (many things I read is that is can, for some people, further clog pores).

So far, I'm only using coconut oil and sometimes a few drops of jojoba. It is working SO well! I was super skeptical, since that slimy-greasy feeling of oil is like the most disgusting thing ever (I never ever wore lotion when I was younger, simply because I didn't like the greasy feeling it left until it was absorbed). I was brave though and tried. I was SO surprised how soft and clean my skin felt after gently rubbing the oil off.

I'm wanting to try the castor oil with jojoba, tea tree, and grape seed oils...then experiment from there, but I'll have to wait for my order to ship out of course. LOL!

I'll see how my skin does in the future...

Occasionally if I feel I need something that will get a little extra cleansing going, then I'll use a little toner.

What's the best news? FINALLY my sebaceous filaments on my chin/nose are starting to shrink... I've tried EVERY other home remedy and cleanser out there, but still had no luck.

It also takes place of my moisturizer and my skin has no more peeling.
I'm really hoping OCM keeps working for me, because my skin is the best it's ever looked right now!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2014 8:38:00 PM More reviews by elaineos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I normally wouldn't write reviews, however I have felt obliged to share my story of OCM after how helpful all the reviews on it have been for me. It is now four months since I stopped using this method, and for the first time in a very long time my skin is about 90% clear.
I began using OCM after a bad breakout. I used about 10% castor oil and 90% Olive Oil religiously every evening for about a month and a half. At first my skin improved slightly, which is probably why I persisted so long trying to make OCM work for me, however for the most part I had terrible breakouts. I developed painful cystic acne on my chin and forehead, something which I had never had before, but it was my cheeks which were worst affected. Here, I had lots of tiny blackheads and larger whiteheads in an area where I used never have any problems with spots or clogged pores. After trying different oil ratios and even getting rid of Castor Oil I eventually convinced myself that this wasn't just the purging everyone spoke of and stopped.
Straight away I switched to an Avene cleanser for sensitive skin, to calm mine. After a few weeks of little improvement I ended up forking out for three sessions of micro-dermabrasion and milia removal with a needle. This saw the first significant improvement in my skin for a long time. I then switched to the Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser for oily skin which also really helped. My skin was better, but I was still getting breakouts on my cheeks and forehead quite frequently, just less cystic acne.
In the end it has been Apple Cider Vinegar that saved me. About two months after stopping OCM I began to use this as a toner alongside the Dermalogica Cleanser and I also drink a tablespoon full diluted in water daily. Along with this I also started taking Pure Cod Liver Oil and a Zinc supplement daily, and have now seen a dramatic improvement in my skin for the first time in months. I'm still getting a few spots on my cheeks, but for the most part my skin is clear.
I don't doubt that OCM is good, but I always read that it's not for everybody, and I think that is just how it went for me. One thing I wish I knew when I started though, was that it can take at least four months to thoroughly clear your skin if this doesn't work for you.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2013 6:42:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

I normally cleanse with oils once a week to once a month, depending on how congested or dull my skin is. For years I have had very stubborn, open pores on my nose that look like brown blackheads and after every facial they would just plug up again. I had tried dozens of products and treatments to tackle this problem and was never happy with the results. In desperation, I decided to use castor oil and sweet almond oil, 50/50 mix. I only use the smallest amount, about half a teaspoon in all, smooth over my entire face and top of my neck then work into my nose area for about one minute. I then place a warm to hot, damp cloth over my face and work it into my nose. At this stage I can see my nose is a lot clearer. I then repeat with the oils and hot cloth, use a creamy cleanser (Elemis Pro Radiance or Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish are good for this) to cut through most of the remaining oil but leave the skin soft. This is important if you don't want to look like a greaseball for the rest of the day. I then rinse with lukewarm water then tone with a very gentle toner (for this I use pure rosewater, with or without glycerin). I only do this cleanse occasionally but it a) unplugs my blackheads, b) removes any dead skin and c) leaves my skin soft and radiant. I've had to avoid it lately as I've had mild rosacea on my cheeks due to a product that didn't agree with me and the colder weather, but now my skin is almost back to its normal state I am really enjoying doing it again. BTW my skin is normally oily/combination and currently slightly dehydrated too. I hope this info. helps anyone with similar skin concerns to mine. UPDATE: Still loving the occasional OCM but I stopped using Castor oil once I used up my supply. I just use Sweet Almond Oil. I use the exact same method and I still get excellent results. And if you already have Dr Bronners liquid soap and don't have sensitivity to any of the ingredients you can always use a small amount of it instead of oil - it contains a large proportion of natural oils so it works well. I used the peppermint one (after I'd patch-tested) and it was very effective; I rinsed really well, used a gentle toner afterwards and a facial oil as it might be quite drying otherwise. Just make sure you avoid your eyes.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by CamiWillians

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I hated this product. Upton trying, I went from having no skin problems whatsover to being covered in acne.

This OCM method works for a lot, but not everybody~!!!! Be careful and take it slow and really check up on your skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2013 3:04:00 AM More reviews by balancedbeauty

The idea behind the ocm is that like dissolves like so oil dissolves oil. And i have to say, it works.
i have a ridiculous amount of blackheads and post acne marks ALL OVER. mostly on my cheeks though, and this has lightened their appearance and dissolves and pull out the hardened sebum.
So what i basically do is take around a palm full of avocado oil. JUST avocado because i've heard that castor creates major problems for the skin (excessive purging, allergies, redness, irritations,etc) and plus, i question how it is harvested.
I take the oil and spread it all over my face first then go into the massage.

The massage:
1. Rub cheeks with palms in gentle but firm circular motions (i focus here so that the blackheads will loosen nicely)
2. Rub forehead with fingers in circular motions.
3. For the nose, do a quick and firm up and down motion. Do the same around the mouth. Especially in crevices like your cupids bow, chin and around the nose.
4. Repeat steps 1-3
5. Pull forehead in an upwards motion. then put your fingers in the center of it and drag in opposite directions.
6. To condition lashes and eyes, put on the remaining oil on it by moving your fingertips on your lashes from the roots to the ends and repeating.

That is just my massage and what works for me. I then will take a warmish hot washcloth, wring it 95% out, and put it on my face. Press it into my face for 20 seconds then start wiping away the dirty oil and nasties.
I repeat with a slightly warmer washcloth, i dont really wring this one out, just a bit.
i dry it with a clean paper towel (a new one every wash) and apply 3 drops of oil on my face and spread it with either the press and roll technique or a lymph drainage one (move your hands starting at the jaw outwards towards your ears and flush into neck. work your way up). Moistuizing with the oil is optional. Listen to your skin. I just do it to lighten my scars.

Tips:
1) Change your washcloth EVERY TIME
2) Use A WIPING MOTION to make sure all the oils are off
3) Don't be afraid to EXPERIMENT with different oils. Although avocado works amazing for me, i want to try hazelnut or grapeseed to really cleanse.
4) Give it TIME. I did experience a 2 week purging phase. My face was bumpy and there were atleast 2 whiteheads per face part. It passed and left me with balanced skin.
5) Do not alternate with CHEMICAL FILLED FACE WASHES. I do this nearly everyday but when i don't, i just use a natural one im using up. I heard honey works great as well.

Remember, this doesn't work for everyone, but it does for most. Just don't give up on natural stuff if it doesn't. theres alot of alternatives out there.

UPDATE: I now only use this a couple times a week for maintainence since most of the hardened plugs are out. I cleanse and tone with honey the rest of the time and this routine helped me become acne free for the most part and heals and lightens scars

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/3/2013 4:20:00 PM More reviews by mrpiggy1

Puring relief that really did help me in one day! I hope this helps everybody out there who is spending hours looking for help!

I just started OCM about a month ago. I used 1/3 hemp seed oil, 1/3 sunflower oil, 1/3 castor oil. I have acne prone skin and have tried EVERYTHING from the time i was 12 up to now 24 years old. The reason I wanted to do OCM is because I have blackheads and ice pick scars covering my entire face and now very minimal pimples every now and then. My face wasn't bad at all I just I wanted my pores to unclog and shrink. Form my research this seemed perfect. I steamed my face before hand with a washcloth laying it over my face, then rubed the oil on for about 10 mins, steamed again, and wiped off with the washcloth.

I choose the hemp seed oil and sunflower oil because they are rated a 0 on the Comedogenic rating (https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html) so they will not clog your pores. Another important thing is Hemp seed oil will spoil easily so keep your mixture in the refridgerator and the orginal bottle of pure hemp seed oil in the freezer. It should be fine. If it starts to smell rancic throw it out and make a new mixture. I suggest not making a huge batch espcially if you are just trying it out. The first two weeks was fine. I had blackheads and plugs literally coming out onto my hands. I was super excited. Two weeks later my face exploded over night. I mean, red spots everywhere, blackheads, little white heads, and big pimples on the jawline. My face felt like a giant scab and it was so sore. It hasn't been this bad for over 10 years. I was embarssed and so sad that I felt like i was in middle school again. I wasnt sure If I was going through the so called "purging stage" or if my skin just didnt like it.

I stopped the oil for a few days and my skin didn't really calm down. I didnt want to stop because I read so many people trucked through this stage and their face bounced back better than before. So i did my research and I found that castor oil causes major problems for people. I even found some people just cut it out completely. I was afraid to change my ratios thinking it would confuse my skin even more but I went for it. I changed my ratio to 1/2 hempseed, 1/2 sunflower, a teaspoon of castor and a few drops of tea tree oil. I also learned that steaming the skin can actually irratate sensitive skin so I skipped this all together both at the begining and end. I just used a washcloth with warm water to wipe off any makeup or dry skin I had before hand. I cut my time down to 5 mins of rubing the oil on my face and i rubbed a lot lighter than before to prevent irratation as well. In stead of just rubbing the oil off with a washcloth and hot water, I also found out that people had great sucess with using african black soap (supposed to be great for your skin--walmart $5 http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sheamoisture-african-black-soap/ID=prod6064944-product) to wash the soap off to insure all the oil was off my face. Then I either use a honey&cinnamon mask or Oatmeal&cinnamon&honey mask. The honey should be raw organic to reap the most benefits. I bought a little 8oz jar for $6 and it will last me a while since i only use about 1/2 spoon full. I don't do this everytime but when I do I normally keep it on anywhere between 20 mintues to an hour or more depending on how i feel. After I wash off with water and apply a toner of 1/2 raw organic apple cider vinegar (it is important to get the kind that is unfiltered with the mother--it will say it on the bottle, i bough braggs organic $5 http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar.html) and 1/2 distilled water. People say this was a god send for them because this is supposed to being the pH of your skin back to normal, so I tried it. Then I patted on very very little spot treatment all over my face (I just used the genaric equate brand from walmart) ***THE NEXT DAY MY FACE IMPROVED SO MUCH!!!*** It wasn't dry, the redness was decreased, the bumps also decreased. I know this seems like an overload but everything I used was all organic (except the spot treatment) so there are not any harsh chemicals in these things to kill and irritate your skin. All this together (not including the oil) cost me about $20 but it will last me for at least 3-6+ months easily.This process is only about a 10 minute thing (not including if you use the mask).

I hope this helps some of your who are researching helpful hints for your "purging" stage. Some people cant handle OCM and if this last for more than a few weeks I suggest stopping before you scar your skin. Plus there is no point in suffering if it isn't working for you. I was so sad that my skin exploded so I research for at least 12 hours before I decided what I was going to attempt to fix it. Don't freak out and go buy all these chemical masks, face washes, and treatments. They will more than likely irratate your skin and make it worse.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by GrRoxxy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I read about this when all the bloggers started raving about it. It made so much sense, there were lists of what oil is good for what so I tried.

I tried several combinations olive oil, grape seed oil... I don't even remember the rest. I tried some different cloths.

What I do remember that my face was breaking out like crazy, even when I didn't massage it, I changed the oils- just not for me.

Now I use oil by Shu Uemura. Yes its not homemade and pure oil and I don't have to use the cloth.
It works, my dehydrated skin isn't dried out but my acne is at bay.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by mcpatty

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have tried OCM previously, using laxative -grade castor oil and grapeseed as the carrier ; starting tonight, I am using cold-pressed castor oil with, unless I break out from it, my Neutrogena body oil. I like the feel of the cold -pressed so much more -not so thick and tacky. Will add updates periodically ...UPDATE- The cold-pressed castor oil has been great; I apply it, then add Purpose or some other liquid cleanser. No breakouts, no overdrying- will continue to use!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 2:00:00 PM More reviews by lalama13

i have been using OCM from Nov.2012 until now. I have dry/combination skin, yet still get adult acne often (i never have acne problem when I was in my teenage). it improves my skin texture, reduce my blackhead, more hydrated. I use coconut oil or jojoba oil with or without castor oil, with essential oil(lavander, or rosemary, or others) added.

massage with any 'cold pressed' and 'organic' oil are important.

I use warm to sightly hot water with the microfiber cloth, but I never rub my skin with cloth. I just put the cloth on my face with some pressure until the cloth becomes the room temperature. then repeat it for several times, until I do not feel any oil sit on my skin.

OCM needs some patience every night, but it does do a deep cleansing, and work for my skin in the cold dry climate, and so cheap to get a bottle of organic jojoba oil with some essential oils,which last so long time, so I keep doing it every night, and very happy to live without any shop-bought cleanser.

If I have make up on, I put one layer of oil, massage, and wipe away, put another layer of oil, massage, massage, more oil, then warm cloth on my face. it just takes more time, but so clean. love it.

update 25/Oct/2014: I am still using OCM. I had tried out different oil mixture, but I came back to the simple just coconut oil, due to my laziness. however, the effect of pure coconut oil is still amazing.
I add the facial massage into my daily routine, which totally give a huge difference to the texture of facial skin, even though I sitll have a lot of pigmentation.
what I did:
1. a quick wash: use coconut oil to clean the makeup and dirt, with microfiber cloth.
2. facial massage: when my face is clean, I use a generous amount of coconut oil to my whole face and neck. massage, and massage for as long as I want. my facial massage is inspired by Lisa Eldridge.

I did this daily ritual, while having a bath daily. so I have used quite hot water, which I am not sure it is ok. but I use very generous amount of oil, so my skin never feels dry.

I also use coconut oil for washing my face in the morning. the only different from my evening face washing is a short/quick wash without massage.

continued >>