Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 3/9/2015 6:11:00 AM

I do not understand the hype over Cetaphil. I have sensitive acne prone skin. Pretty sure it's combination as well. I thought I'd try Cetaphil because why not, I've tried everything else and the reviews are great.

No. This product did absolutely nothing to my skin. I didn't even feel clean after using it. It felt like I just rubbed some gel-like stuff on my face then rinsed it off. Don't count on Cetaphil removing any of your makeup either. Also, after I bought it I looked at the ingredients and what the heck!? Sulfates, parabens, propylene glycol???? All the terrible ingredients you try to avoid in skin/hair care make up this product.

Again, I just don't understand the hype. The product was useless for me and I'll never buy again.

on 3/4/2015 9:15:00 PM

Muchly anticipated post!
A quick background run down on my face cleansing journey. I have purchased so many damn cleansers, for acne prone skin, spent so much money on facials. Nothing really cleared my skin. (can i get a holla for anyone whos unfortunately with me on this one!)
I finally went to a dermo, and he said forget all that girl! go to a chemist and buy this brand Cetaphil. I believe your initial problem is that your skin is too sensitive and you are usually way too harsh of products on it. I had never really thought about it tbh. you always associate breakouts with scrub the enemy until it leaves! He did say diet and lifestyle could have something to do with it but we wouldnt know until we get the inflammation down. he did recommend a change in diet in conjunction. blah blah blah. also gave me a dose of antibiotics.
Anyway long story short I head to the chemist and got some.
Cheapest face wash I ever bought! Weirdest feeling using a wash without scrubbing. I used it morning and night just like he said. I used a neutral makeup remover first just to make sure the cleanser was really getting in there!
My skin broke out like crazy (he did warn me to wait out for 4 weeks) and gosh I was skeptical. And hating my skin as much as it clearly hated me. But gotta give it to the man, 4 weeks later, I woke up in the morning and my face was much less red, the bumps were fading, no whiteheads, no immediate breakouts.And it seriously just got better from there. It hasnt gotten rid of every single thing but it has improved my skin so much!!

Im not going to say this is a miracle in a bottle, get it immediately, best thing to ever happen to me. But if like me, you have done the hard yards, definitely give this a go!
I recommend pairing it with the Cetaphil moisteriser, that helped alot!

*Side note: they sell 2 different types, one is a gentle cleanser and the other is for oily/combo skin. I tried both. the oily one really wasnt doing it for me. but the gentle worked a treat!

Would I buy it again?
I think Im on my 3rd bottle! Definitely loving it. Going to keep using it!

PACKAGING: the pump is better value and easier to use the right amount.
TEXTURE/CONSISTENCY: it's alot more runny than youre probably used to or expect. its very smooth also like hand soap texture.
SMELL: no smell really.
PRICE: $14.99 for 1L pump bottle - Chemist Warehouse

Quick about me:
Skin: I have oily t-zone, very oily around my nose, large pores, breakouts only on my jawline and occasionally on my chin. My skin is sensitive and hates pretty much everything!
Diet: I have just recently stop consuming dairy products and reducing my meat intake to see if that effects my skin. I also have increased my fruit and vegetables and water intake. Water has made a huge huge huge difference!!!
Lifestyle: gym goer, big lover of sports and outdoor activities.

I have purchased this time and time again, the generic brands of it, however (significantly cheaper). Seems to be the only cleanser I can use on my face daily without stripping my sensitive skin of natural moisture or breaking me out. This product doesn't lather up nearly at all, but will leave your skin soft and smooth. Worth a shot if your suffering from really sensitive skin!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

my skin is extremely sensitive, so it's not a surprise that it didn't work for me. It has a reasonable price so give it a try and see if it'll work for you :)

on 2/23/2015 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I use Retin A, occasionally AHAs, and I have sensitive skin.

I wash my face with coconut oil in the evenings (wipe it off with a warm wet cloth) and use this afterward if I'm putting on Retin A that night. I rinse off with water.

I also use it every morning in the shower to get off whatever treatment I was using overnight and it doesn't make my skin dry or break out. It's got the fewest ingredients I could find in a cleanser and it's mild enough for me to use when my skin's oversensitive from the days I overdo exfoliation.

I wouldn't use it to remove makeup or sunscreen, but as a cleanser that's just a step up from plain water, I like it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My skin is combination, sensitive & acne-prone this product does not strip my skin but i didn't feel it cleanse that well either. I used this product quite a while and found out where all my clogged pores came from, I read the ingredients beforehand and notice half of them are comedogenic but insisted to buy it anyway. I still have 2/3 leftover so i used this only when i do chemical peeling as it is gentle on skin. But totally won't repurchase.

on 2/22/2015 6:25:00 AM

This is my most essential product! I started using this product about a year ago after everything else I had tried on my skin had made it worse (I have keratosis pillars on my arms, which are like little red lumps and can sometimes look like a rash). I use this cleanser in the shower as pretty much a body wash and my arms have never looked better! While the texture does feel weird at first, you get used to it after the first time. I have never really used a cleanser on my face, as I have always had perfect skin and never felt the need to, but I use this morning and night on my face and it leaves it feeling smooth and refreshed. An excellent product that works well! It also comes in different sizes so it is very convenient, and you can get a 1L for $18!! Great price for a brilliant product!

on 2/17/2015 9:53:00 AM

This is a horrible cleanser does nothing. The consistency is horrible too gloopy and has little to no foam . I have combination sensitive acne prone skin this did not clean my skin I still felt not clean. Even caused my face to become over dry it started to product more oil,breakouts, blotchy redness and dulls the complexion.

Really wanted to like it (love the cream for dry skin!), but my face would break out in clusters of pimples every time I used it. Guess it doesn't do enough to cleanse my somewhat-congested skin.

on 2/16/2015 6:52:00 AM

Had a bad skin reaction to it, my skin is almost burning as I write this. This stuff was very nasty for me.