Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 4/5/2015 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Wow I had so much high expectations for this. So many celebs and beauty editors endorse this.... This is not for people with combination skin. This cleanser did not feel like a cleanser at all. I didn't feel like it cleansed my skin and it left a weird film on my skin. I know it's suppose to be "gentle," but there was nothing cleansing about this cleanser. Did I mention I didn't feel clean after using this? Lol

on 4/3/2015 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I was suffering from acne well into my early 20s and after doing research to clear it up, I found out two things: 1) I'm lactose sensitive and 2) I needed a non-foaming cleanser. The reason (especially if you're acne prone) for avoiding foaming cleanser is because in most cases (99%), surfactant is used to create the foam. Surfactants are terrible for the skin; they are stripping, drying and super irritating. It can create an over-active sebum (oily skin) while still dehydrating the skin.

Cetaphil was my first non-foaming cleanser to use and it was really great at first, it didn't aggravate or spread the existing acne. Although it takes a while for spots to completely heal, my face was very clean looking and clearing up nicely. I did, however, develop milia (little, hard, white bumps - not pimples; mini cysts). Once I realized the cleanser might be the culprit I stopped using it and my milia cleared up.

I've learned that people are usually an either-or when it comes to Cetaphil and CeraVe. I just fall into the latter category. But all-in-all it's a great cheap cleanser, if you want to give it a try I suggest going to Ulta, they have a pretty good return policy.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff, I have very oily skin so I need a good cleanser that helps remove it without being so harsh that my skin creates loads more. This does that, I use it every night before bed(I usually don't use night cream, only occasionally) and wake up with no new break outs and not very oily skin(depending on how clean my pillow is)

on 3/29/2015 8:39:00 AM

I love this and the moisturiser for skin cleansing/removing make up. My skin doesn't like too much of any kind of product (also doesn't like no product at all) and this is one of my safe haven products I know will always make my skin feel moisturised and clean without having any reaction.
It is very runny and thin and feels cooling & refreshing. It's great for a quick fix/brightening your skin whilst travelling especially because you don't need to moisturise After because your skin feels hydrated. I leave it for a minute to soak in my skin and never feel that it blocks it up. I love the packaging, it's time saving, clean and even though you will use quite a lot, it lasts!

on 3/28/2015 5:13:00 AM

Great value and great product! ..athough I do have to repurchase a lot because I use it so much! I use it to wash my face in the morning and at night and also to remove all of my make up. I first started using this when I went through roaccutane/accutane treatment because I needed something that was ok on sensitive skin! I finished my roaccutane treatment 8 months ago and im still using it! :) it was great to use then and it's great to use now. Definitely try this if you have acne prone/dry/sensitive skin it works on them all! Doesn't break you out or irritate skin.

on 3/27/2015 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

At first I didn't like this but I wasn't using it correctly . The directions say put a Liberal amount of cleanser on dry skin with dry hands it does take off make up if you rub it in , rub it in gently for at least a minute then splash with several splashes of water at least 20 times this leaves my oily sensitive feeling soft and not stripped I put lotion on at night in the winter anyway I may not in the summer and I don't require a separate moisturizer in a.m. The normal to oily formula leave my skin feeling stripped enough that it requires an extra moisturizer which sometimes leaves me oily - I've used lots of expensive cleansers but this used correctly works better , again if you wet face and or hands first it will dilute it and will not be cleansing enough and I always use a separate eye make up remover first regardless of what cleanser I'm using . Give it another shot it does make a difference how you use it . I'm 47 with olive skin that's pretty oily , I've always had problems with moisturizers everything has to be oil free and sometimes even those make me oilyso normally I go for the most oil controlling cleanser that I can fine but I honestly think those were probably doing more harm than good stripping my skin out then I required moisturizer which again left me oily it made my make up oxidize made my hair go flat just had lots of trouble if you get it right the first time around with the cleansing things go way better

on 3/26/2015 6:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I am not gonna lie. The product inside looks like semen. Now that we got that out of they way let's talk about the rest.
It doesn't foam up or anything like that, and it feels really slippery on your face, almost like a thin conditioner. I don't know if you're supposed to use it like that, but I use it over my eyes, and it removes mascara really nicely. Getting it in your eyes doesn't hurt, but it feels weird and is not exactly pleasant.
For me, I have quite clear, very fair and sensitive skin, but using this makes my face looks nice, keeps down the occasional pimples, and doesn't make my skin freak out. It is great value for your money I'd say.

on 3/25/2015 11:41:00 AM

So, I had a really horrible acne attack last year. It was probably a combination of me quitting the birth control pill, using coconut oil as a moisturizer, and then trying the bogus Murad Acne Complex kit.

It looked like the Rocky and Andes mountain were engaging in coitus on my face. I went to my dermatologist. BIG waste of money and time in the end, he was clueless and nothing helped. He prescribed me these antibiotics that smelled like diarrhea (which ironically enough could cause diarrhea), and this lotion to open my pores. He urged me to use Cetaphil, and that moisturizing 'wasn't necessary'. Lies and slander, moisturizing is definitely necessary, especially for my skin. Unfortunately, a lot of dermatologists are not very well educated in the area of acne.

The lotion didn't seem to hurt, and it was actually really great for my forehead. But the Cetaphil didn't do diddly squat, and it dried my face out. Against my dermatologist's suggestion, I got the Cetaphil lotion too, but it seemed to clog my pores.

Overall. the Cetaphil didn't do much for my skin or acne at all. The cost isn't bad and the packaging was fine, but this wash didn't seem to do much at all for my skin, nor did I find it gentle.

on 3/23/2015 9:30:00 PM

it worked for my sister but not for me, it broke me out but I guess it depends on your skin. mine is sensitive

I've been using Cetaphil for years after reading about it in "Don't Go To The Makeup Counter Without Me." I have recently discovered that my drugstore (Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada) makes an identical cleanser under their store brand name "Life." It is positioned in the store right beside the original Cetaphil. The 2 products have the same ingredients and are identical right down to the packaging. I buy the store brand because it is so much cheaper.